Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
Not FCS, and probably not true at all...I was told in the 70s and 80s there were about 20 counties in Nebraska that had endowments that fully funded a full 4-year scholarship to Nebraska...each county had a scholarship committee that would pick the recipient, and more often than not it happened to go the best athlete in the county (usually FB)...who in turn ended up as a walk-on at Nebraska....essentially giving them a boatload more schollys.

Again, this is just a story I heard and not sure if any of it is true, but....seems like a way around the NCAA scholly limit if so...and now it can be done with NIL. Why does a 5 star who is pulling down $1MM a year in NIL actually need to be "on Scholarship"? Why not save it for someone else and expand the talent pool?.

Not sure if that is fiction or not, but it wouldn't surprise me, even if it broke NCAA rules. Honestly, if the CFP/P5 schools want to keep going down that road, they shouldn't have scholarships at all. They are paid employees remember? All their money is in NIL anyway. Scholarships are for actual student athletes, which doesn't exist at CFP/5 schools anymore. That is another reason why CFP/5 schools should no longer be a part of the NCAA whatsoever. Honestly, I want to say P4, but the Pac2 is getting ready to rebuild and there are schools in the upper crust of the G5 that almost make the P5 grade, so that line gets blurry. If I could have it my way (rarely), We would clearly mark the conferences that will break away from the NCAA and form their own semi-pro athletic league in all major sports (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Softball, Track & Field, Soccer, Tennis, Golf). Then, all the other conferences can sort out the new NCAA and conferences from there: D1-A, D1-AA, DII and DIII.