Thread: Richmond to join the Patriot League in 2025

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Re: Richmond to join the Patriot League in 2025

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post
    Pedigree, control entity, institutional-wide success - got it.

I think many CAA fans know that Towson played in the National Championship in 2013. Their only other appearance in the FCS they lost a first round game. Personally I prefer to have a team that has made the FCS playoffs 15 out of the last 20 season, winning at least a dozen playoff games in the process and getting to Semi-finals twice and and the quarters twice. But that's just me.
    I referenced Towson in general terms as they pertain to the FCS landscape. I think most would have guessed UNH and/or W&M as the other possibilities. Ironically, W&M lost in the semifinals to 'Nova in 2009.

UNH has had a very good program but they have yet to get over the hump like UMass, Delaware, JMU, 'Nova and Richmond did over the last 25 years or so. I definitely have respect for them as a program. With that said, they remind me a bit of the Northern Iowa of the Northeast. Granted, the Panthers do have a finals appearance.

BTW, controlling entity extends into their AD/leadership negotiating as both CAA/Big East or PL/Big East representatives. Villanova has experience working/understanding of media influence given their longstanding ties with with Fox/FS1, CBS, ESPN, etc. Plus, they have to ensure their college hoops position remains viable as college sports transforms so remaining cognizant of what is going on in the ACC and there other "P" conferences is part of their due diligence. This all fuses together to create greater leverage/power. Georgetown can relate...although they could use a few pointers from their Main Line colleagues. I would love for DFW to do a simple strengths/weaknesses comparison for Villanova and Georgetown.
    Last edited by Go Lehigh TU Owl; May 16th, 2024 at 08:05 PM.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!