Thread: A racial double standard amongst quarterbacks

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: A racial double standard amongst quarterbacks

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTru View Post
    Here's some numbers. In the first two rounds the NFL drafted 59 quarterbacks going back to 2001. 42 were white, 15 were black, and 2 were mixed (Mariota, Kaepernick). 4 or 26% of the black quarterbacks are projected week 1 starters. 21 or 50% of the white quarterbacks are projected week 1 starters. 1 of the mixed race Qbs are projected week 1 starters.

Now, I will say with both the black QBs and mixed race the sample size is low. So I don't fault them for a much lower hit rate especially since black quarterbacks went through a rough stretch before Newton. However, if the NFL was missing on black quarterbacks and they were hitting at say a 50% clip and white quarterbacks were failing at a 75% rate there would be more of an argument.

Honestly I think one of the driving forces here is Cam Newton's success. I think some in the "black QBs matter" camp are looking for the next Newton. He's just special. Rarely does a quarterback come along with that kind of athleticism and the ability to be a really good at all the many aspects of the QB position. This class doesn't have a Cam Newton and Watson as talented as he is, isn't Newton either next year.

He needs to explain his views to me. I don't get why Emory is pushing that narrative.
    Last edited by smallcollegefbfan; April 15th, 2017 at 09:22 AM.