Here's some numbers. In the first two rounds the NFL drafted 59 quarterbacks going back to 2001. 42 were white, 15 were black, and 2 were mixed (Mariota, Kaepernick). 4 or 26% of the black quarterbacks are projected week 1 starters. 21 or 50% of the white quarterbacks are projected week 1 starters. 1 of the mixed race Qbs are projected week 1 starters.

Now, I will say with both the black QBs and mixed race the sample size is low. So I don't fault them for a much lower hit rate especially since black quarterbacks went through a rough stretch before Newton. However, if the NFL was missing on black quarterbacks and they were hitting at say a 50% clip and white quarterbacks were failing at a 75% rate there would be more of an argument.

Honestly I think one of the driving forces here is Cam Newton's success. I think some in the "black QBs matter" camp are looking for the next Newton. He's just special. Rarely does a quarterback come along with that kind of athleticism and the ability to be a really good at all the many aspects of the QB position. This class doesn't have a Cam Newton and Watson as talented as he is, isn't Newton either next year.