Thread: Richmond to join the Patriot League in 2025

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Re: Richmond to join the Patriot League in 2025

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post
    I'm not sure what a controlling entity is in a college football conference, but no one team has been in control of the CAA since JMU departed after the 2021 season. W&M and UNH shared the title with 7-1 records in 2022, Albany, Richmond and Villanova in 2023. Albany went deeper into the playoffs than the other 4 teams, but sort of ruined it with the blow out loss in the Semi-finals to the eventual FCS Champs. Richmond was the only of the 5 to make the playoffs both seasons. Delaware stumbled into the Playoffs in 2022 and limped in 2023. As far as the Premier Team in the Northeast, I don't know your criteria, or what you consider the Northeast, or how long a period you are talking. Villanova struggled 3 out of the first 4 seasons after Talley's departure. They did have strong seasons in 21 and 23, but I think Holy Cross performed better over, let's say, the past 5-6 years.
    Villanova is the program with the most pedigree left in the CAA as its presently constructed. They're the only program left in the CAA with a 1-AA/FCS National Championship. Towson of all programs is the only one left with a title game appearance. How many people would know that nugget? Villanova is an institution that has captured tremendous wealth over the last quarter century which has translated into great institutional wide success and additional leverage in decision making practices (I'd pay to be in a room with leaders from Fordham, HC, Georgetown and Villanova but then again I'm weird). As a Temple alum it pains me to say it but Villanova's rise is tangible. Temple has fared very well academically and campus infrastructure wise but just about everything else has been a disaster. While fans on here like to mock 'Nova's attendance and stadium neither are terrible. Basketball simply skews perception of what Wildcat football should be on a superficial level. 2009 National Champs, 3 Payton Winners, numerous notable NFL players, ranked #1 several times speaks for itself.

Villanova has been better than HC despite the Crusaders run under Chesney. They even beat HC head-2-head in the 2021 playoffs. If we're valuing moral victories (and I think it carries some weight given how good SDSU has been) Villanova put up a better fight in Brookings this past year than HC did out there in 2022. I must say, while I respect what Chesney did at HC it was not unprecedented outside of the 5-peat (Covid aided). HC really only had one playoff win of note (UNH) and one truly elite team (2022). Last year proved to be a rather big disappointment. Top 5 to nothing, similar to Lehigh in 2002 and Colgate in 2019 iirc. Speaking of Colgate, the Raiders had playoff wins over UNH and JMU in 2015 then was seeded and beat JMU again in 2018 in recent years.

UNH, W&M, and Albany seem well positioned to seize control of the CAA imo....if 'Nova were to leave (needed to add that caveat)...
    Last edited by Go Lehigh TU Owl; May 16th, 2024 at 07:01 PM.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!