Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: MVFC Megathread: 2024 Edition

My Team
    Western Illinois

Re: MVFC Megathread: 2024 Edition

Not directly MVFC-related, but apparently Northern Colorado to the Summit League is gaining steam:

There's a good chance that that would also involve an invite to the MVFC, but it's hard to say.

Also, as discussed in the recent WAC/UAC thread, Utah Tech and Southern Utah could be left out of the WAC falls apart and might be interested in moving (in the case of SUU, back) to the Summit.
    That could end up being the final domino for the Dakota schools finally starting up Summit League Football.

You'd have...
    Summit League Football - NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, Northern Colorado, Utah Tech, Southern Utah, plus possibly St. Thomas if they decide they want to go full-scholarship....7-8 teams.
    Missouri Valley Football - UNI, SIU, ILSU, INSU, Missouri State, Murray State, and probably Youngstown State...7 teams.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

With WIU gone there is an "open spot", so to speak, in the MVFC as we are at 11. 12 is too big. 11 is too big. However, it is what it is right now and I'd welcome UNC with open arms. Schedule wise I'm not sure how it would be handled but it could create "divisions" or "protected rivals" or "travel partners" or "pods". Who knows.

I said in the other thread that this could be a step toward SLF and it is one of the few ways I actually saw it happening.

It would either happen if the MVFC/MVC no longer exists as we know it - which isn't happening - or it would take the west/southern/southwest FCS partially falling apart. We are getting that with what the SLC/ASUN/WAC has tried to do and failed with he last few years.

Summit League with enough full time members to stablize their conference is a good thing for them.

The Valley with enough full time members to still be stable is a good thing for them.

I don't mind what we have now. It's helped the summit tremendously attract schools and retain key members. If a split happens in a few years if the Summit goes to 14 full time members with enough of them having football then it happens.

If that happens I'd love for the MVC to finally take the MVFC and just make it a MVC sport - though it won't happen because Bradley and Evansville would throw a fit.

My Team
    South Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    Not directly MVFC-related, but apparently Northern Colorado to the Summit League is gaining steam:

There's a good chance that that would also involve an invite to the MVFC, but it's hard to say.

Also, as discussed in the recent WAC/UAC thread, Utah Tech and Southern Utah could be left out of the WAC falls apart and might be interested in moving (in the case of SUU, back) to the Summit.
    That could end up being the final domino for the Dakota schools finally starting up Summit League Football.

You'd have...
    Summit League Football - NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, Northern Colorado, Utah Tech, Southern Utah, plus possibly St. Thomas if they decide they want to go full-scholarship....7-8 teams.
    Missouri Valley Football - UNI, SIU, ILSU, INSU, Missouri State, Murray State, and probably Youngstown State...7 teams.
    This is probably a very logical move and probably makes a fair amount of sense. Frankly I've always felt that the best move for the SL (or more specifically the Dakota Schools) is to move West. I think stability of the SL is a good thing, but there is always the question of how stable it truly is? Unlike the MVC the non-Dakota members always seem to have one foot out the door. We have already brought back Oral Roberts and KC who were one time members who left the conference for "greener pastures" only to come crawling back when the pasture burned down. Now potentially SUU wants to add their name to that list. I'm really tired of schools coming to the SL who are fine being mediocre or even less than mediocre while awaiting the next upward move to "something better" rather than actually getting better themselves and making the SL actually a good conference. So adding "stability" I suppose is fine but the question is are we adding quality? If the answer to that isn't a resounding yes, then why? We don't make the conference any stronger which then leaves the non-Dakota schools still wanting to bolt because heaven forbid they actually improve.

The thing that makes the most sense to me is to begin a conference with the 4 Dakota schools and the 2 Montana schools. Football aside, that is a group of like minded schools that are also strong in other sports. I would be far more likely to drive to a men's BB from Brookings to Billings than I would be to drive to Omaha for one. Now maybe the Montana's don't have an interest and are more interested in playing UCD than USD, idk. But for me, give me a football conference of USD, UND, NDSU, SDSU, UM, MSU, UNC, and Weber and let's go.

AGS FCS Champion

Missouri State going to CUSA in all sports starting in 25/26... mark me down as skeptical that's a good move for their athletic department but given the size and amount of resources at that school they maybe had to do something to shake up the proverbial apple cart.

MVFC back down to a more manageable 10 members starting in 2025 but with as fluid as things are these days who knows what other schools will come/go by that time.

Bisonville meltdown also commencing with this news....
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS FCS Champion

The NDSU/SDSU game on 10/19 will be nationally televised on the ESPN networks this fall:

Details coming in network and potential kickoff time (NDSU usually kicks off at 2:30PM CT but that may change with the TV slot).

EDIT: USD/SDSU game on 10/26 also will be on national TV (two straight national TV games for SDSU):

Last edited by Professor Chaos; May 30th, 2024 at 12:55 PM.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

Luke Falk has gone Tyler Roehl, but in a different manner. Might be paywalled?

https://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...c5ab047f0.html
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post

Interesting hire made as well:

UNI going air raid???

They do say Filani's role is not yet defined but if he was passing game coordinator at NAU I'd wonder if he might end up as the OC.
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; July 4th, 2024 at 10:58 AM.

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post

I can't say much but it is entirely a family related issue. This isn't a leaving for another job situation or fighting with Farley. Sounds like he won't be coaching at all this year.

As far as air raid at UNI? Yes. 100%. There are articles going back to December and January I can go find but Farley has said he has sat in meetings with Falk and other offensive coaches he hired and, I believe his quote was real close to, "I don't know what they were saying other than it sounds like we are going to be throwing the ball a lot".

Looking at conference stats from last year UNI looks like they were already passing the quite often. The rushing stats show this also. It does look like UNI tended to pass the ball more downfield. So, do you think they are going to go full Air Raid type of system.

I'm sure it has been talked about ad nauseum already, but NDSU, please destroy Colorado for the whole sport.