Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Richmond to join the Patriot League in 2025

First Class FCS Ruler

Re: Richmond to join the Patriot League in 2025

Quote Originally Posted by ngineer View Post
    While no dates have been confirmed, supposedly there has been a commitment by Pitt to host Lehigh in the next 4-5 years...New coach said upon his arrival he wanted to schedule an FBS school about every two years; so, it looks like wheels in motion to get the program back to relevancy.

this would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post
    In Paterno's books (I believe there are three), he recounts bad experiences at Brown because of his Italian heritage.
    This is correct, and perhaps he was holding on to decades old animosity.

Funny, is that Joe tried to portray his program as an academically superior among the power programs. In some ways, I think he achieved that over the first 15 years or so of his tenure, and had some really amazing students come through the program. By the 90’s, PSU maintained better than average grad rates, but were mostly indiscernible from other major programs. PSU had plenty of dummies who didn’t care much about school come through the program.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Quote Originally Posted by Franks Tanks View Post

Funny, is that Joe tried to portray his program as an academically superior among the power programs. In some ways, I think he achieved that over the first 15 years or so of his tenure, and had some really amazing students come through the program. By the 90’s, PSU maintained better than average grad rates, but were mostly indiscernible from other major programs. PSU had plenty of dummies who didn’t care much about school come through the program.
    By most accounts Kerry Collins' alcoholism became clear when he was at Penn State yet his behavior was ignored. There are some pretty "legendary" stories about him partying the night before games, showing up to pregame meals still drunk, playing hungover etc. The night before (Homecoming Weekend) the 1994 Ohio State game seems to be one of Kerry's most famous "performances".

Paterno also willingly recruited Gus Felder when his baggage came to light. That was a huge story in Northeast PA and signaled the beginning of the end of Berwick football as a national power.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU Owl View Post
    By most accounts Kerry Collins' alcoholism became clear when he was at Penn State yet his behavior was ignored. There are some pretty "legendary" stories about him partying the night before games, showing up to pregame meals still drunk, playing hungover etc. The night before (Homecoming Weekend) the 1994 Ohio State game seems to be one of Kerry's most famous "performances".

Paterno also willingly recruited Gus Felder when his baggage came to light. That was a huge story in Northeast PA and signaled the beginning of the end of Berwick football as a national power.
    I remember old Gus, and he’s doing well for himself.

https://huskers.com/staff/gus-felder

He is actually a Paterno success story.

By the time Joe was old, player behavior became an embarrassment at PSU. Dan Connor was harassing “special assistant” Joe Serra, who was at that point losing his mental faculties. This riled PSU fans big time as Joe was by all accounts a great guy (he was also a longtime assistant at Lafayette prior to PSU).

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Excited that Lehigh is scheduling Pitt, if true, and can't wait to go there!
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

First Class FCS Ruler KnightoftheRedFlash's Avatar
    My Team
    Saint Francis

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    Joe Paterno was a Brown grad and got his start there. It's probably less that he hated the Ivies but that was he was such a competitor that he hated any Eastern school that threatened his program-- he certainly scheduled that way.

This was not unique, of course. Knute Rockne famously avoided scheduling Catholic teams in the East (Fordham, Georgetown, Detroit, Holy Cross). When asked why, Rockne basically said he didn't want to share the spotlight with any other Catholic program.
    More like that Paterno didn't need to schedule the Ivies. There were enough Eastern independents and occasional non-regional opponents to fill out the PSU slate. Besides, the Ivies were isolating themselves from major football. They chose to leave the club.

My Team
    Colgate

After the second National Championship in 1986, things began to go downhill. There were a lot of academic casualties on the 1988 and 1989 teams.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

I remember old Gus, and he’s doing well for himself.

https://huskers.com/staff/gus-felder

He is actually a Paterno success story.

By the time Joe was old, player behavior became an embarrassment at PSU. Dan Connor was harassing “special assistant” Joe Serra, who was at that point losing his mental faculties. This riled PSU fans big time as Joe was by all accounts a great guy (he was also a longtime assistant at Lafayette prior to PSU).
    Great to see Felder had a successful outcome! When his scandal came to light it hurt both Curry's and Paterno's reputations. Obviously, more so Curry's.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by BucBisonAtLarge View Post
    Reading? Yes.
    Posting? Haven't in a long time. For now, this thread is pleanty of time-wasting entertainment.

Hey, look! A post from a Bucknell fan.
    Hey BBAL I will be in Lewisburg later this month for our annual golf trip to BGC. Parents BU 61 and brother 86. We have basically been doing this since 1977! We used to stay at MODs now they are demoed. So is Country Cupboard - boo! A Wawa is coming to Rt 15 just next to Aldi! I found my tuxedo male cat Siete in a tree on the left side of #7 hole at BGC (hence his name) in 2017. Put him in golf cart for final couple holes (we play 9 first day after driving up) and he never attempted to get out! Hes here with me now on Long Beach Island NJ. Ray Bucknell! I will stop folks here walking on LBI with BU shirts to chat! And of course Lafayette shirts!

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KnightoftheRedFlash View Post
    More like that Paterno didn't need to schedule the Ivies. There were enough Eastern independents and occasional non-regional opponents to fill out the PSU slate. Besides, the Ivies were isolating themselves from major football. They chose to leave the club.
    The Ivies didn't exactly have a lot of out-of-conference slots to spare. I think they had 9 game schedules and 2 OOC games that were generally reserved for YankCon opponents. But you're right, being an Eastern independent was very doable in the 1970s. And the Ivies made few friends, especially with the power programs.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now