Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Farm System Football

My Team
    Abilene Christian

Re: Farm System Football

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    Not FCS, and probably not true at all...I was told in the 70s and 80s there were about 20 counties in Nebraska that had endowments that fully funded a full 4-year scholarship to Nebraska...each county had a scholarship committee that would pick the recipient, and more often than not it happened to go the best athlete in the county (usually FB)...who in turn ended up as a walk-on at Nebraska....essentially giving them a boatload more schollys.

Again, this is just a story I heard and not sure if any of it is true, but....seems like a way around the NCAA scholly limit if so...and now it can be done with NIL. Why does a 5 star who is pulling down $1MM a year in NIL actually need to be "on Scholarship"? Why not save it for someone else and expand the talent pool?.

Not sure if that is fiction or not, but it wouldn't surprise me, even if it broke NCAA rules. Honestly, if the CFP/P5 schools want to keep going down that road, they shouldn't have scholarships at all. They are paid employees remember? All their money is in NIL anyway. Scholarships are for actual student athletes, which doesn't exist at CFP/5 schools anymore. That is another reason why CFP/5 schools should no longer be a part of the NCAA whatsoever. Honestly, I want to say P4, but the Pac2 is getting ready to rebuild and there are schools in the upper crust of the G5 that almost make the P5 grade, so that line gets blurry. If I could have it my way (rarely), We would clearly mark the conferences that will break away from the NCAA and form their own semi-pro athletic league in all major sports (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Softball, Track & Field, Soccer, Tennis, Golf). Then, all the other conferences can sort out the new NCAA and conferences from there: D1-A, D1-AA, DII and DIII.
    "Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance." Samuel Johnson

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Regarding the 2 prior comments…FUBeAR believes that he saw that, recognizing the issue with the muddling of NIL $ & “Scholarship” $/limits, the NCAA is considering eliminating Scholarship limits in favor of limits on number of Players on the Roster - don’t matter if you wanna pay none of ‘em anything or all of ‘em $10M each, you can only have XX in the program.

Makes sense to FUBeAR in a world where amateur collegiate athletics no longer makes any sense at all.
    We finally beat Medicare

My Team
    Abilene Christian

At least that is somewhat of an acknowledgement of the state that the CFP/P5 is in, but it doesn't reflect the NCAA, which is why they need to just go their separate ways altogether. A certain part of the NCAA seems to want to play it both ways. Sorry, but that isn't how it works. If semi-pro is the way you want to go, then fine, go but you can't have different rules and expectations for other institutions within your own system. Right now, the NCAA is full on Schizophrenic.
    "Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance." Samuel Johnson

On the Breast of Old South Mountain
    My Team
    Lehigh

I think NFL should be made to create their official farm system, just like baseball does. The NCAA has become a whorehouse for the NFL. So many players just being used under the fraudulent mantel of getting an education.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

Quote Originally Posted by ngineer View Post
    I think NFL should be made to create their official farm system, just like baseball does. The NCAA has become a whorehouse for the NFL. So many players just being used under the fraudulent mantel of getting an education.
    I agree 1000%. Will a court decision finally convince them to do so?
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022