Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: CAA 2024 Megathread

Re: CAA 2024 Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
    Like UMass for instance.

Don’t get me totally wrong, I think for a school of UDs size, it’s logical to want to try it. I just question the timing, selection and stated strategy of this actual move.

And the knocks on the CAA shouldn’t be necessary if this is such a great shift. The fact is Delaware football has fallen more steeply than the CAA. Against the group of W&M, Villanova, Richmond and Elon, the Hens are on an 8 game losing streak and are 2-11 the last five years.
    Terrible comparison. UD is heavily investing in athletics. UMass, for the most part, has not.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Quote Originally Posted by Henny View Post
    Terrible comparison. UD is heavily investing in athletics. UMass, for the most part, has not.
    UMass men's hockey doesn't rise to its current level under Greg Carvel without a significant investment.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

My Team
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Henny View Post
    Huh? UMass built the Mullins Center for their basketball and hockey programs.....it seats WAY more than Delaware's facility.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

Just going by what your own Prez laid out as the strategy.

If ESPN vs FLO is now the big carrot, itÂ’s not worth the negatives already covered in my view. When it comes to college football media, people really only care about the power teams. No one is setting their dial for FCS, CUSA, Sunbelt, MAC, etc.
    I don’t disagree but how many more eyes will be on CUSA game on insert weeknight here than on the CAA games on Flo?

You have to go look for FloSports while ESPN will come looking for you

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanhen View Post
    I don’t disagree but how many more eyes will be on CUSA game on insert weeknight here than on the CAA games on Flo?

You have to go look for FloSports while ESPN will come looking for you
    My point and opinion is it’s insignificant. Nobody is setting their dials to watch either except fans of the teams. CUSA is playing weeknight football for one reason: revenue needed to help prop up their expenses. FLO at least allows CAA teams to add on other local media like SNY or Cox and they don’t dictate scheduling to the members.

My Team
    Abilene Christian

My point and opinion is it’s insignificant. Nobody is setting their dials to watch either except fans of the teams. CUSA is playing weeknight football for one reason: revenue needed to help prop up their expenses. FLO at least allows CAA teams to add on other local media like SNY or Cox and they don’t dictate scheduling to the members.
    The problem with FLO is for those outside of their bubble. Most of us already have ESPN+ accounts, so we can watch those OOC games without additional expense. When we happen to play a school that ONLY has FLO, then we have to make additional purchases. It works well for the ingroup. For everyone else, tough luck. I know it's the name of the game nowadays, but it makes it harder to keep up with other conferences for the average fan.
    "Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance." Samuel Johnson

FCS EGG-HOLE
    My Team
    DELAWARE

[QUOTE=Sitting Bull;3193109]My point and opinion is it’s insignificant. Nobody is setting their dials to watch either except fans of the teams. CUSA is playing weeknight football for one reason: revenue needed to help prop up their expenses. FLO at least allows CAA teams to add on other local media like SNY or Cox and they don’t dictate scheduling to the members.[/QUOTE

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...e-usa/3706726/

....WETHER...CUSA COMMISH/ESPN-ESPN+/UD PAID STUDY....TOLD RAWAK......IT'S 40X THE VIEWERS....THAN FLO....FOR FOOTBALL/BASKETBALL......SO SAY 50 THOU...WATCH HENS ON FLO......EQUATES TA 2 MILLION ON
    DUH ESPN's...PRETTY SIGNIFICANT.............THERE'S UH REASON WHY.....ESPN AIRS THESE GAMES......AN' IT'S NOT TA LOSE DUCATS....AN' COMPANIES WHO RUN THEY'RE COMMERCIALS.....MUST THINK IT'S WORTH IT..............BRAWK!

[QUOTE=MR. CHICKEN;3193213]
    My point and opinion is it’s insignificant. Nobody is setting their dials to watch either except fans of the teams. CUSA is playing weeknight football for one reason: revenue needed to help prop up their expenses. FLO at least allows CAA teams to add on other local media like SNY or Cox and they don’t dictate scheduling to the members.[/QUOTE

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...e-usa/3706726/

....WETHER...CUSA COMMISH/ESPN-ESPN+/UD PAID STUDY....TOLD RAWAK......IT'S 40X THE VIEWERS....THAN FLO....FOR FOOTBALL/BASKETBALL......SO SAY 50 THOU...WATCH HENS ON FLO......EQUATES TA 2 MILLION ON
    DUH ESPN's...PRETTY SIGNIFICANT.............THERE'S UH REASON WHY.....ESPN AIRS THESE GAMES......AN' IT'S NOT TA LOSE DUCATS....AN' COMPANIES WHO RUN THEY'RE COMMERCIALS.....MUST THINK IT'S WORTH IT..............BRAWK!
    Well you’re already $6m minimum in the hole between CAA exit fees and the $5M to shift to CUSA. And I assume you’re going to have some hefty additions to travel expenses for all your programs given only 2 conference members are in your time zone - that’s significant, yes?

So you’re at least 3 seasons away from even breaking even. But you will be offsetting that with hordes of new applications from FL and TX (cough).

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider1 View Post
    The problem with FLO is for those outside of their bubble. Most of us already have ESPN+ accounts, so we can watch those OOC games without additional expense. When we happen to play a school that ONLY has FLO, then we have to make additional purchases. It works well for the ingroup. For everyone else, tough luck. I know it's the name of the game nowadays, but it makes it harder to keep up with other conferences for the average fan.
    Outside of CAA fans, nobody on AGS has Flosports. The finest FCS fans in the world were totally in the dark about CAA teams because they don’t watch. That’s not gonna change either

However, ESPN + allowed FCS fans to watch teams outside the home conference

Why? It’s mainstream

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanhen View Post

However, ESPN + allowed FCS fans to watch teams outside the home conference
    Talk about insignificant. How many “fans” are we talking about?

Aren’t NEC, PL, Big South and Pioneer games on ESPN+? If so, I’m not seeing how the CAA brand has really suffered in comparison, Certainly not enough for some CAA programs to also set up their own linear exposure with SNY, Cox, CBSSN and others.