Re: Farm System Football

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    Ding ding ding!!!! Winner!!!

First Class FCS Ruler KnightoftheRedFlash's Avatar
    My Team
    Saint Francis

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanhen View Post
    One of the finest thinkers in American history!

Top FCS Advocate
    My Team
    San Diego

Although not a minor league situation, the Ivy League (with no fifth year allowed) is sending players to the Pioneer. It's more analogous to Americans going to Japanese baseball. Certain PFL coaches have Ivy backgrounds/connections, and they're providing homes for the "gaijin." I long for the days when the path to the PFL championship was to offer scholarships under the table. :sigh:

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Sardonicus View Post
    Although not a minor league situation, the Ivy League (with no fifth year allowed) is sending players to the Pioneer. It's more analogous to Americans going to Japanese baseball. Certain PFL coaches have Ivy backgrounds/connections, and they're providing homes for the "gaijin." I long for the days when the path to the PFL championship was to offer scholarships under the table. :sigh:

To be fair, the Ivy is sending fifth-year players to schools of all levels (including BCS teams).

The late Buddy Teevens attempted to embrace it. His pitch would be along the lines of "Come to Dartmouth. If you want to sit out your freshman year, that's fine. Get your degree in four years and play your final year of NCAA eligibility while doing graduate work on scholarship somewhere else."

First Class FCS Ruler VandalBasher's Avatar
    My Team
    Idaho Vandals

How many D1 players want to play at the University of Washington? Probably more than the 83 scholarship allowance. If the Huskies want to park some of their D1 talent at D1-AA (FCS) Idaho, we will welcome it.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

Quote Originally Posted by Go Green View Post
    To be fair, the Ivy is sending fifth-year players to schools of all levels (including BCS teams).

The late Buddy Teevens attempted to embrace it. His pitch would be along the lines of "Come to Dartmouth. If you want to sit out your freshman year, that's fine. Get your degree in four years and play your final year of NCAA eligibility while doing graduate work on scholarship somewhere else."
    Are the Ivy Presidents still backwards-thinking towards football? If their former competitors (i.e., B1G teams) do split from the NCAA for their betterment, do you think the Ivies will go NESCAC? (Or somewhere along the lines of it)
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Sardonicus View Post

Did the NCAA detect this practice? The prognosticator of this practice eventually stopped football...

When the Tommies get playoff-eligible after 2 years I believe, MVFC watch out...

---

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post
    Did the NCAA detect this practice? The prognosticator of this practice eventually stopped football...
    If that's referring to San Diego, it would've been a violation of league rules/agreements, but not of NCAA rules, the PFL being more restrictive than required.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team

Quote Originally Posted by UAalum72 View Post
    If that's referring to San Diego, it would've been a violation of league rules/agreements, but not of NCAA rules, the PFL being more restrictive than required.
    Uh, Jacksonville took the captaincy but that "ship" (the practice of underground scholarships) eventually sank after Jacksonville stopped sponsoring football...

---

My Team
    Chattanooga

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post
    Uh, Jacksonville took the captaincy but that "ship" (the practice of underground scholarships) eventually sank after Jacksonville stopped sponsoring football...
    Not FCS, and probably not true at all...I was told in the 70s and 80s there were about 20 counties in Nebraska that had endowments that fully funded a full 4-year scholarship to Nebraska...each county had a scholarship committee that would pick the recipient, and more often than not it happened to go the best athlete in the county (usually FB)...who in turn ended up as a walk-on at Nebraska....essentially giving them a boatload more schollys.

Again, this is just a story I heard and not sure if any of it is true, but....seems like a way around the NCAA scholly limit if so...and now it can be done with NIL. Why does a 5 star who is pulling down $1MM a year in NIL actually need to be "on Scholarship"? Why not save it for someone else and expand the talent pool?.
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!​ Every time I see that movie, I root for Xavier!!!!!!!