Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Richmond to join the Patriot League in 2025

Re: Richmond to join the Patriot League in 2025

Quote Originally Posted by The Boogie Down View Post

Dude, you can’t even figure out how to post a block quote (no worries, I fixed it for you) and you’re bringing up thoughtless?

As for OCC’s, you’re taking about one game this year, one game next year, maybe who knows, another cool game sometime after that. Delaware, if they want, is looking at 4 attractive OCC games a year, every year. And unlike w/the FCS, some of those games will be at home. UMass is hosting an SEC team this fall. When in the year 20-Never do you think any FCS school is gonna get to do that?

As for "threads going back 20 years bloviating about how the CAA is going to implode," I wouldn’t know about that. I wasn’t here 20 years ago. When I did get here I only had nice things to say about the CAA. In fact, it was only once rumors started popping about the Island of Misfit Toys filling up the ranks of your once proud league that I stopped to reevaluate things. But sure, if you do wanna go back 20 years, let’s do it!

You guys used to win chips back then, right? And now? Not so much. You guys used to be the single best FCS league in the land back then, right? And now? Not so much. You guys would never get one of your top teams poached by the “dumpster fire” that is the Patsy League back then, right? And now? Not so much.

Enjoy the time you spend on Delaware boards, Richmond boards, fan stadium review boards and whatever else that gets you through the day. Just don’t forget that the Big Southish is a sinking ship. Oh and don’t forget that my Patsies are one move away (Maybe Villanova, or maybe your own school!) from calling
    checkmate.
    Dude, I’m still waiting to find out which CAA team isn’t in the Eastern time zone. Please fill us in.

From “Boogie Down” 2AM rant
    So you don't see that you're on a sinking ship AND you don't see that not everyone is in your time zone?

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    Holy Cross and Colgate are in same boat as liberal arts colleges. Lehigh and Bucknell are technically universities but are mainly liberal arts with limited grad programs. Redshirts just require a little academic planning. What typically takes place is that a player will un-enroll for their senior spring and then return to complete their 8th and final semester the following fall during which time they will play football as a 5th yr senior.
    Well said. I just looked it up. Colgate reports 11 grad students and Bucknell about 50. A 5th year for a fall sport means the player gets one extra semester not a full year. The ability for a young man to get a semester of grad school paid for is an attractive benefit for an academically minded young man, but will probably rarely be the determining factor.

At Lafayette, the 9th semester can be used to add a double major, or a player can take a lighter course load for a semester or two. At the big FBS schools there was a period of time when players were rushing to complete undergrad degrees to potentially have two years elsewhere after a grad transfer. But, with current transfer rules does that really matter?

Penn State for example now pushes players to graduate in 3 years. Under Franklin, they are no bastion of academic success in FBS and have players with average academic records. Players take classes over the summer after graduating from high school, enroll early, and take classes over the summers, so completing in 3 years in rather easy. Penn State and other like programs push for 3 years for a few reasons. Some kids leave for the NFL at that point and they want to try to get them a degree. Also, if they aren’t playing after 3 years they likely never will, and it’s easier to “process a kid out” when they have their undergrad degree. They basically tell them you graduated, and you no longer have a place on the team as we need to make room. Better PR when the kid transfers with degree in hand. To the extent that FBS powers are still somewhat trying to portray that school matters for their athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Go...gate View Post
    You mean back in 1994, when there were discussions between some of the New England A-10 schools and the Patriot League? I don't recall that any invitations were extended then. That is why Towson joined the PL.
    Did you read the article…?

FCS EGG-HOLE
    My Team
    DELAWARE

Quote Originally Posted by The Boogie Down View Post

Dude, you can’t even figure out how to post a block quote (no worries, I fixed it for you) and you’re bringing up thoughtless?

As for OCC’s, you’re taking about one game this year, one game next year, maybe who knows, another cool game sometime after that. Delaware, if they want, is looking at 4 attractive OCC games a year, every year. And unlike w/the FCS, some of those games will be at home. UMass is hosting an SEC team this fall. When in the year 20-Never do you think any FCS school is gonna get to do that?

As for "threads going back 20 years bloviating about how the CAA is going to implode," I wouldn’t know about that. I wasn’t here 20 years ago. When I did get here I only had nice things to say about the CAA. In fact, it was only once rumors started popping about the Island of Misfit Toys filling up the ranks of your once proud league that I stopped to reevaluate things. But sure, if you do wanna go back 20 years, let’s do it!

You guys used to win chips back then, right? And now? Not so much. You guys used to be the single best FCS league in the land back then, right? And now? Not so much. You guys would never get one of your top teams poached by the “dumpster fire” that is the Patsy League back then, right? And now? Not so much.

Enjoy the time you spend on Delaware boards, Richmond boards, fan stadium review boards and whatever else that gets you through the day. Just don’t forget that the Big Southish is a sinking ship. Oh and don’t forget that my Patsies are one move away (Maybe Villanova, or maybe your own school!) from calling
    checkmate.

FCS EGG-HOLE
    My Team
    DELAWARE

[QUOTE=Sitting Bull;3188895]Dude, I’m still waiting to find out which CAA team isn’t in the Eastern time zone. Please fill us in.

Last edited by MR. CHICKEN; May 18th, 2024 at 10:54 AM.

My Team
    Maine

It's time to think big....I'm advocating for Maine to go FBS and become MAC #14. Maine has 1.4 million people and UMaine is the only D1 program in the state (the only state in the country with one D1 football program). The #78 Portland/#156 Bangor media markets combined would rank right around #68 Des Moines/Ames. Bangor International Airport is 10 minutes from campus....a quick trip for MAC teams stepping off their charter flight. Commercial airlines that serve BIA are American, Allegiant, Breeze, Delta and United.

$220 million in new and renovated athletic facilities is underway including Morse Arena....a new basketball facility slated to be completed in December 2026 and will house football operations and be attached to Alfond Stadium which itself will have its track removed as well as other updated features.

Finally Maine's AD is Jude Killy....a masters grad and longtime (15 years) associate AD at Miami-Ohio. He is familiar and has ties to the MAC.

LFG!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    It's time to think big....I'm advocating for Maine to go FBS and become MAC #14. Maine has 1.4 million people and UMaine is the only D1 program in the state (the only state in the country with one D1 football program). The #78 Portland/#156 Bangor media markets combined would rank right around #68 Des Moines/Ames. Bangor International Airport is 10 minutes from campus....a quick trip for MAC teams stepping off their charter flight. Commercial airlines that serve BIA are American, Allegiant, Breeze, Delta and United.

$220 million in new and renovated athletic facilities is underway including Morse Arena....a new basketball facility slated to be completed in December 2026 and will house football operations and be attached to Alfond Stadium which itself will have its track removed as well as other updated features.

Finally Maine's AD is Jude Killy....a masters grad and longtime (15 years) associate AD at Miami-Ohio. He is familiar and has ties to the MAC.

LFG!

Is anybody else talking like you?

AGS FCS Master
    My Team
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post

LFG!

What G5 Conference is going to offer Maine a chance to join? Most Mainiacs live in the Portland area or south and you have the same indirect competition as UNH - the full slate of Boston professional sports. I think that there's almost as many UNH fans in Southern Maine as there are U of M. Wildcat Stadium is much closer for them then Alfond. Maine has had some marquis players in recent years but most of them transfer at their earliest opportunity. So did your outstanding coaching staff immediately after the highly successful 2018 season. You really haven't had back-to-back winning seasons in a long time. Maine had a resurgence in Men's Hockey this past season but you already play in a premier Division 1 Hockey Conference. So I believe moving to G5, with or without the Dexter Shoe money, would be a big mistake, if it is even feasible. I feel exactly the same about UNH - very happy to see them stay FCS.
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

AGS FCS Master
    My Team
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by UNHWILDCATS05 View Post
    Did you read the article…?
    Here it is again!

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspo...o-joining.html

I believe the publication was written/edited by an AGS Member by the same name: Lehigh Football Nation. Could be mistaken but I recall Ursus asking him not to post things credited or referring to his publication.

In my opinion the article is well sourced and very likely accurate. The PL offer was made to UNH in the 2012 timeframe.
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

My Team
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post
    What G5 Conference is going to offer Maine a chance to join? Most Mainiacs live in the Portland area or south and you have the same indirect competition as UNH - the full slate of Boston professional sports. I think that there's almost as many UNH fans in Southern Maine as there are U of M. Wildcat Stadium is much closer for them then Alfond. Maine has had some marquis players in recent years but most of them transfer at their earliest opportunity. So did your outstanding coaching staff immediately after the highly successful 2018 season. You really haven't had back-to-back winning seasons in a long time. Maine had a resurgence in Men's Hockey this past season but you already play in a premier Division 1 Hockey Conference. So I believe moving to G5, with or without the Dexter Shoe money, would be a big mistake, if it is even feasible. I feel exactly the same about UNH - very happy to see them stay FCS.
    You’ll have to sell UNH to the MAC separately…notice that I didn’t have to tear down UNH to sell Maine. Good luck!