Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Richmond to join the Patriot League in 2025

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Re: Richmond to join the Patriot League in 2025

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post
    I'm not sure what a controlling entity is in a college football conference, but no one team has been in control of the CAA since JMU departed after the 2021 season. W&M and UNH shared the title with 7-1 records in 2022, Albany, Richmond and Villanova in 2023. Albany went deeper into the playoffs than the other 4 teams, but sort of ruined it with the blow out loss in the Semi-finals to the eventual FCS Champs. Richmond was the only of the 5 to make the playoffs both seasons. Delaware stumbled into the Playoffs in 2022 and limped in 2023. As far as the Premier Team in the Northeast, I don't know your criteria, or what you consider the Northeast, or how long a period you are talking. Villanova struggled 3 out of the first 4 seasons after Talley's departure. They did have strong seasons in 21 and 23, but I think Holy Cross performed better over, let's say, the past 5-6 years.
    Villanova is the program with the most pedigree left in the CAA as its presently constructed. They're the only program left in the CAA with a 1-AA/FCS National Championship. Towson of all programs is the only one left with a title game appearance. How many people would know that nugget? Villanova is an institution that has captured tremendous wealth over the last quarter century which has translated into great institutional wide success and additional leverage in decision making practices (I'd pay to be in a room with leaders from Fordham, HC, Georgetown and Villanova but then again I'm weird). As a Temple alum it pains me to say it but Villanova's rise is tangible. Temple has fared very well academically and campus infrastructure wise but just about everything else has been a disaster. While fans on here like to mock 'Nova's attendance and stadium neither are terrible. Basketball simply skews perception of what Wildcat football should be on a superficial level. 2009 National Champs, 3 Payton Winners, numerous notable NFL players, ranked #1 several times speaks for itself.

Villanova has been better than HC despite the Crusaders run under Chesney. They even beat HC head-2-head in the 2021 playoffs. If we're valuing moral victories (and I think it carries some weight given how good SDSU has been) Villanova put up a better fight in Brookings this past year than HC did out there in 2022. I must say, while I respect what Chesney did at HC it was not unprecedented outside of the 5-peat (Covid aided). HC really only had one playoff win of note (UNH) and one truly elite team (2022). Last year proved to be a rather big disappointment. Top 5 to nothing, similar to Lehigh in 2002 and Colgate in 2019 iirc. Speaking of Colgate, the Raiders had playoff wins over UNH and JMU in 2015 then was seeded and beat JMU again in 2018 in recent years.

UNH, W&M, and Albany seem well positioned to seize control of the CAA imo....if 'Nova were to leave (needed to add that caveat)...
    Last edited by Go Lehigh TU Owl; May 16th, 2024 at 07:01 PM.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    Villanova is is the program with the most pedigree left in the CAA as its presently constructed. They're the only program left in the CAA with a 1-AA/FCS National Championship. Towson of all programs is the only one left with a title game appearance. How many people would know that nugget? Villanova is an institution that has captured tremendous wealth over the last quarter century which has translated into great institutional wide success and additional leverage in decision making practices (I'd pay to be in a room with leaders from Fordham, HC, Georgetown and Villanova but then again I'm weird). As a Temple alum it pains me to say it but Villanova's rise is tangible. Temple has fared very well academically and campus infrastructure wise but just about everything else has been a disaster. While fans on here like to mock 'Nova's attendance and stadium neither are terrible. Basketball simply skews perception of what Wildcat football should be on a superficial level. 2009 National Champs, 3 Payton Winners, numerous notable NFL players, ranked #1 several times speaks for itself.
    Villanova's rapid rise up the reputational ladder has been matched only by Southern California, who is stride for stride with UCLA at the edge of the Top 25.

Villanova and Temple have different audience but Villanova has clearly left St. Joseph's and LaSalle, two universities with some real struggles of late, in its wake.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

AGS FCS Master
    My Team
    New Hampshire

Villanova is the program with the most pedigree left in the CAA as its presently constructed. They're the only program left in the CAA with a 1-AA/FCS National Championship. Towson of all programs is the only one left with a title game appearance. How many people would know that nugget? Villanova is an institution that has captured tremendous wealth over the last quarter century which has translated into great institutional wide success and additional leverage in decision making practices (I'd pay to be in a room with leaders from Fordham, HC, Georgetown and Villanova but then again I'm weird). As a Temple alum it pains me to say it but Villanova's rise is tangible. Temple has fared very well academically and campus infrastructure wise but just about everything else has been a disaster. While fans on here like to mock 'Nova's attendance and stadium neither are terrible. Basketball simply skews perception of what Wildcat football should be on a superficial level. 2009 National Champs, 3 Payton Winners, numerous notable NFL players, ranked #1 several times speaks for itself.

Villanova has been better than HC despite the Crusaders run under Chesney. They even beat HC head-2-head in the 2021 playoffs. If we're valuing moral victories (and I think it carries some weight given how good SDSU has been) Villanova put up a better fight in Brookings this past year than HC did out there in 2022. I must say, while I respect what Chesney did at HC it was not unprecedented outside of the 5-peat (Covid aided). HC really only had one playoff win of note (UNH) and one truly elite team (2022). Last year proved to be a rather big disappointment. Top 5 to nothing, similar to Lehigh in 2002 and Colgate in 2019 iirc. Speaking of Colgate, the Raiders had playoff wins over UNH and JMU in 2015 then was seeded and beat JMU again in 2018 in recent years.

UNH, W&M, and Albany seem well positioned to seize control of the CAA imo....if 'Nova were to leave (needed to add that caveat)...
    Pedigree, control entity, institutional-wide success - got it.

I think many CAA fans know that Towson played in the National Championship in 2013. Their only other appearance in the FCS they lost a first round game. Personally I prefer to have a team that has made the FCS playoffs 15 out of the last 20 season, winning at least a dozen playoff games in the process and getting to Semi-finals twice and and the quarters twice. But that's just me.
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post
    Pedigree, control entity, institutional-wide success - got it.

I think many CAA fans know that Towson played in the National Championship in 2013. Their only other appearance in the FCS they lost a first round game. Personally I prefer to have a team that has made the FCS playoffs 15 out of the last 20 season, winning at least a dozen playoff games in the process and getting to Semi-finals twice and and the quarters twice. But that's just me.
    I referenced Towson in general terms as they pertain to the FCS landscape. I think most would have guessed UNH and/or W&M as the other possibilities. Ironically, W&M lost in the semifinals to 'Nova in 2009.

UNH has had a very good program but they have yet to get over the hump like UMass, Delaware, JMU, 'Nova and Richmond did over the last 25 years or so. I definitely have respect for them as a program. With that said, they remind me a bit of the Northern Iowa of the Northeast. Granted, the Panthers do have a finals appearance.

BTW, controlling entity extends into their AD/leadership negotiating as both CAA/Big East or PL/Big East representatives. Villanova has experience working/understanding of media influence given their longstanding ties with with Fox/FS1, CBS, ESPN, etc. Plus, they have to ensure their college hoops position remains viable as college sports transforms so remaining cognizant of what is going on in the ACC and there other "P" conferences is part of their due diligence. This all fuses together to create greater leverage/power. Georgetown can relate...although they could use a few pointers from their Main Line colleagues. I would love for DFW to do a simple strengths/weaknesses comparison for Villanova and Georgetown.
    Last edited by Go Lehigh TU Owl; May 16th, 2024 at 08:05 PM.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

My Team
    Colgate

Quote Originally Posted by Franks Tanks View Post
    Get better at football commensurate with the resources being provided.
    In Georgetown's case, find a way to add funding to the program.

My Team
    Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post
    A fun thread. Interesting viewpoints abound 路*♂️ Great news for the PL and not particularly damaging to the CAA. My takeaway from the UR is amazement at the lightening fast decisions by PL Presidents to finally abandon the asinine redshirting ban. It would appear that negotiations have been going on for a while. It is no coincidence that non medical redshirting will be allowed starting in '25 when UR joins the league.
    Nor is the CAA a sinking ship Axmittedly it is more of a conglomeration of disparate programs than a conference. It will sort itself out over the next few years. Given the current landscape, I would be surprised if UR is the only assoc. football member to leave.
    I could be wrong, but I think it's less about Richmond strong-arming the Patriot League into a more favorable redshirt policy than it is recognizing the role COVID 5th years played for Holy Cross and Fordham two years ago. And again for HC last year, despite our disappointing failure to make the postseason. Pretty sure the Patriot League powers that be enjoyed seeing our stars go toe-to-toe with BC and Army for 60 minutes.

My Team
    Holy Cross

I referenced Towson in general terms as they pertain to the FCS landscape. I think most would have guessed UNH and/or W&M as the other possibilities. Ironically, W&M lost in the semifinals to 'Nova in 2009.

UNH has had a very good program but they have yet to get over the hump like UMass, Delaware, JMU, 'Nova and Richmond did over the last 25 years or so. I definitely have respect for them as a program. With that said, they remind me a bit of the Northern Iowa of the Northeast. Granted, the Panthers do have a finals appearance.
    And they lost to JMU in the semis in 2004. UNH's best team lost to Illinois State in the semis in 2014 I believe.

AGS FCS Master
    My Team
    New Hampshire

We need to get back on the hump first, before we can get over it. I still don't see any team dominating the CAA in the near future. There's has been a lot of parity in conference the last few years and honestly, it's a lot more fun with JMU gone. At least half of the conference games, maybe more, are true toss ups. The only conference game UNH had last season that was not hard fought throughout was Stony Brook. I wish Richmond hadn't left and I hope Villanova stays, but either way, there will still be a lot of good football played in the CAA. You guys shouldn't wish Richmond too much success, you don't want to end up like 2016-2021 CAA, when JMU dominated. I believe JMU only lost 3 conference games out of about 44 in that stretch: One to Elon @JMU (and JMU stole their coach) and one each to UNH and Villanova on the road.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think it's less about Richmond strong-arming the Patriot League into a more favorable redshirt policy than it is recognizing the role COVID 5th years played for Holy Cross and Fordham two years ago. And again for HC last year, despite our disappointing failure to make the postseason. Pretty sure the Patriot League powers that be enjoyed seeing our stars go toe-to-toe with BC and Army for 60 minutes.
    Richmond doesn't move the needle enough to "strong arm" the league. However, as I stated (or believe), Villanova does have the "power" to force concessions on a longstanding policy or two. This is why many of us are patiently waiting to see if "all this" indeed paves the way for 'Nova to make the jump.

AGS FCS Master
    My Team
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    And they lost to JMU in the semis in 2004. UNH's best team lost to Illinois State in the semis in 2014 I believe.
    And we lost to NDSU in the Semi 2013. Your right though, 2014 was the best Semi-final team. 2013 was a Cinderella Team. I remember being at a 20-0 loss @ W&M and sitting at 4&4. We ended up 7-3 and then played the well documented Lafayette vs UNH contest, beat CAA Champ @ Maine in the 2nd Round and Southland Champ @ SLU in the Quarters.
    The 2014 UNH Team was the #1 Seed in the Tourny.