Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trey Lance hype train already rolling

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Re: Trey Lance hype train already rolling

I dont think he will ever transfer from NDSU. NDSU's offense is similar to the pro game and Wentz going #2 doesn't hurt NDSU's reputation for QB development. I'd say the chances he leaves early for the NFL are greater.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by uni88 View Post
    FYP
    I can tell you from talking to NFL people that the hype is not the same in league circles. He was good but NFL teams did not do full reports on him since he was not draft eligible. I have had scouts tell me they have seen a guy who was good as a freshman but by their junior year they were not anymore. Look at most first round busts and they were underclassmen.

If NDSU plays Oregon and Lance has cleaned things up, such as hitch in his throw, improve the arm a little, and protect himself when he runs and not take hits, then he could seriously come out and at least be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Lance is a really good player but I think media hype on a freshman from FCS is too much this early. Need to make sure he is able to follow up that year with another big year and not have a sophomore slump.

The best advice for Lance is to ignore the hype, have a big year, and then go to the NFL advisory board for a grade after the season. He should also make it public what they give him to show if the media saw this early and was right or they are just falsely hyping his stock. If he gets a 1st or 2nd round grade then he should go pro. He does not need to transfer to be a first round pick, as seen before, and thus he should either stay at NDSU or go early.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    I dont think he will ever transfer from NDSU. NDSU's offense is similar to the pro game and Wentz going #2 doesn't hurt NDSU's reputation for QB development. I'd say the chances he leaves early for the NFL are greater.
    Good to hear. I think he should stay for sure and just declare if he has another big year. Great player who needs to show he can repeat what he did and continue to improve. Just hope he has that chip on his shoulder and keeps it so he does not let the attention get to him. I have seen a lot of FCS players become full of themselves and not get drafted where they thought or at all because they bought in to early hype. Lance is fun to watch for sure.

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

He won't transfer or leave early.

No one leaves NDSU for any reason

Bison for lyfe gang

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I love the FCS, but the gap in competition from what you see at this level and what you would see in, say, the SEC, is massive.
    Huge gap. There are probably 20 FBS teams who should drop down to FCS but they are all G5 programs now. I bet there are 50-55 FCS teams who should be much better off in D2 and they are scattered over all conferences of FCS. To me the Pioneer League, Big South, NEC, and Patriot League are the only leagues where majority should drop down but there are a hand full of schools everywhere else who really should drop down to D2.

Say the FCS set a minimum of 6,000 average attendance the following schools would all have to drop down. Albany, Bryant, Bucknell, Butler, CCSU, Charleston Southern, Colgate, Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, Davidson, Dayton, Delaware St, Drake, Duquesne, Eastern Illinois, Fordham, Furman, Gardner-Webb, Georgetown, Houston Baptist, Howard, Indiana St, Jacksonville, Kennesaw St, Lafayette, LIU, Marist, MVSU, Monmouth, Morehead St, Morgan St, Northern Colorado, Portland St, Presbyterian, Rhode Island, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, Saint Francis, Sam Houston St, Samford, San Diego, South Dakota, SEMO, Southern Utah, Stetson, Incarnate Word, UT Martin, Valparaiso, VMI, Wagner, Western Illinois, and Wofford.

There are D2 schools who average 7-10k and FCS schools who average less than 3k.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    He won't transfer or leave early.

No one leaves NDSU for any reason

Bison for lyfe gang
    I'm not big on players leaving early unless they have a 1st or 2nd round grade. I feel like if you don't get that you should stay. If he gets a 1st or 2nd round grade, he like any SEC player, should declare. The risk of injury is too great. Imagine if he comes back in 2021 and gets hurt to never play again. If he is ready in the eyes of the NFL he should cash in. If he is told to stay in school he should stay, no matter what media says.

Quote Originally Posted by smallcollegefbfan View Post
    Huge gap. There are probably 20 FBS teams who should drop down to FCS but they are all G5 programs now. I bet there are 50-55 FCS teams who should be much better off in D2 and they are scattered over all conferences of FCS. To me the Pioneer League, Big South, NEC, and Patriot League are the only leagues where majority should drop down but there are a hand full of schools everywhere else who really should drop down to D2.

Say the FCS set a minimum of 6,000 average attendance the following schools would all have to drop down. Albany, Bryant, Bucknell, Butler, CCSU, Charleston Southern, Colgate, Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, Davidson, Dayton, Delaware St, Drake, Duquesne, Eastern Illinois, Fordham, Furman, Gardner-Webb, Georgetown, Houston Baptist, Howard, Indiana St, Jacksonville, Kennesaw St, Lafayette, LIU, Marist, MVSU, Monmouth, Morehead St, Morgan St, Northern Colorado, Portland St, Presbyterian, Rhode Island, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, Saint Francis, Sam Houston St, Samford, San Diego, South Dakota, SEMO, Southern Utah, Stetson, Incarnate Word, UT Martin, Valparaiso, VMI, Wagner, Western Illinois, and Wofford.

There are D2 schools who average 7-10k and FCS schools who average less than 3k.
    I don't disagree that most a large portion of the FBS would need to drop down. I think attendance figures are sort of arbitrary, though.

First, this isn't a question of D1 v D2 football. Many of those schools have been D1 in athletics for a long period of time. Some of them have nationally relevant D1 programs in sports other than football (see e.g. Butler). So, in no way are you going to force schools to drop to D2 based on football attendance.

Second, those attendance figures appear to be routinely ignored. The FBS has a stated requirement of a 15,000 attendance rolling average over a 2 year period. The MAC conference averages right at about that number. No one appears to be kicking them out.

Third, the attendance figures can be manipulated.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

My Team
    Northern Iowa

I don't disagree that most a large portion of the FBS would need to drop down. I think attendance figures are sort of arbitrary, though.

First, this isn't a question of D1 v D2 football. Many of those schools have been D1 in athletics for a long period of time. Some of them have nationally relevant D1 programs in sports other than football (see e.g. Butler). So, in no way are you going to force schools to drop to D2 based on football attendance.

Second, those attendance figures appear to be routinely ignored. The FBS has a stated requirement of a 15,000 attendance rolling average over a 2 year period. The MAC conference averages right at about that number. No one appears to be kicking them out.

Most of those schools would drop football before dropping down.

AGS President of the Confederate States of America
    My Team
    The Citadel

Translation from the original verminite "the furples would be screwed because they don't draw 6k if you add up the attendance from two games."
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

AGS FCS Champion

I'm big on paid attendance of the butts in the seats. I also think they probably should set a fundraising minimum, enrollment, etc and make sure schools abide by them all. As you said, a big issue is that the NCAA is not enforcing the rules they already have. Half of the MAC should drop down, a couple in the SBC, MWC, and even CUSA should probably drop down to FCS.