Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA considers allowing all transfers to play immediately

Major FCS Ruler Derby City Duke's Avatar
    My Team
    James Madison
    Back on the Bourbon Trail, but as the Designated Driver

Re: NCAA considers allowing all transfers to play immediately

How will we ever field a team...?
    "Time is something that cannot be bought, it cannot be wagered with God, and it is not an endless supply. Time is simply how you live your life." -- Craig Sager

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." -- Jim Valvano

Champion, 2018 MVFC Pick 'em

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    The funny thing

Iowa passed a law identical to the California law last week to go into effect the same time as the CA law

Not one person bitched about it.

It didn't even make the news in Iowa...at all.
    Because it's a bull**** law
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation View Post
    Sadly, NDSU Nation will not care until the very moment Minnesota, Nebraska, or some other Big 10 school poaches Trey Lance. Then the pitchforks will come out, and it will be too late.
    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

AGS FCS Master

re: the earlier discussion about players "quitting the team" and whether or not the school can cancel their scholarship.

How does that factor in when a player "enters the transfer portal" and basically stops playing in the middle of their current season? Or does it right after the season.
    Does the school still have to honor the scholarship for that semester? What about the spring semester? (assuming the student doesn't transfer and enroll at a new school already by spring semester)

I mean, it would be one thing if the player announced the intention of wanting to transfer, but then plays out the remainder of the season (would be kind of like a pro player playing out the final contract year before free agency), but that doesn't seem to be the case typically, as it seems like whenever it is announced that they intend to transfer, they pretty much cut ties with their current team

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by JayJ79 View Post
    re: the earlier discussion about players "quitting the team" and whether or not the school can cancel their scholarship.

How does that factor in when a player "enters the transfer portal" and basically stops playing in the middle of their current season? Or does it right after the season.
    Does the school still have to honor the scholarship for that semester? What about the spring semester? (assuming the student doesn't transfer and enroll at a new school already by spring semester)

I mean, it would be one thing if the player announced the intention of wanting to transfer, but then plays out the remainder of the season (would be kind of like a pro player playing out the final contract year before free agency), but that doesn't seem to be the case typically, as it seems like whenever it is announced that they intend to transfer, they pretty much cut ties with their current team
    Who announces they are transferring during the season?
    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonoline View Post
    Two Lehigh players did just that. It messed up the team, IMO.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonoline View Post
    Happens a ton.

To answer the question - they are on scholarship through the end of the semester.

Technically can a school go back, revoke, and go after the kid for tuition money? Yes....they can. SHSU did that a year or two ago with the RB or QB or something like that. I think eventually the bad PR of it got them to relent.

Any program/admin that isn't complete **** won't take the money from the kid. It's not like they can assign it to another kid mid season (I don't think) or that they even would do so. Especially the FCS level it would be "banked" as a savings by at least 99% of the programs.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation View Post
    The California law was bull****. It basically was like the sequester: "NCAA, come up with a solution or we'll do this terrible thing!" Well, the NCAA came up with one that they think won't wreck college sports and (shocker!) nobody was happy. If California ends up going through with their threats, it WILL be a disaster. But like I said, their law was bull**** anyway.

This current NCAA move is bull**** because it is saying that the Lehigh's and NDSU's are simply farm teams for Nebraska and Penn State. Lehigh has no protection that when the 6'0 220 lb LB they recruited out of high school suddenly grows 5 inches and gains 20 lbs after his freshman year that Penn State won't offer him a scholarship in March of his junior year. Lehigh took time an energy to find the kid, build him and make him into a Division I football player... and then he can just leave and Lehigh gets nothing. The fact that it's easier for Lehigh to sign the oft-injured LB from Penn State coming back from knee surgery entering the transfer portal doesn't make that better, or fair.

I am not opposed in principle to kids moving. If they have graduated and want to sit on a bench at Memphis for their final year of eligibility, I'm perfectly OK with that. But it has to be done in a manner that makes academic protection the top priority.
    Schools won't be recruiting athletes who haven't already entered the transfer portal. I'm sure some of that would/does go on but it wouldn't be widespread because schools that push the envelope there are really exposing themselves since the schools that are getting players poached aren't going to appreciate it and I'm sure will report it if they find out Penn St or Nebraska is talking to athletes about transferring who haven't entered the portal yet.

I don't think you're worried about academic protection like you claim to be. I think you're worried about smaller schools losing their investment which isn't the right way to look at student-athletes IMO. They should have the opportunity to transfer if they feel that's the best move for them either athletically or academically. If Trey Lance transfers to Nebraska I'm sure I'll be peeved what right do I have to tell him what is or isn't best for himself? If you're worried about protecting the student-athletes than rules like these are good things not bad things IMO.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    If coaches can move, athletes should be able to also.
    Not trying to single you out, here, but I'm so sick of hearing this. There's at least 2 big things that make this comparison bogus:

1. Coaches have buyouts in their contracts. Player transfers don't have to pay anything to go anywhere else. Contracts keep coaches from going wherever they want whenever they want with no consequences.

2. Coaches can get fired if they don't pan out like their ADs and fans hope they will. Players can keep their scholarship even if they don't pan out the way their coaches hope.

It's absolutely ridiculous that we've turned athletes who can get free rides to top-tier universities with admissions bars significantly lower than the population at large into an oppressed class.

Besides, there are already penalty-free transfer avenues:
    1. Transfer down.
    2. Work your arse off and get eligible for a grad transfer.
    Last edited by FCS_pwns_FBS; February 19th, 2020 at 02:15 PM.
    Six National Championships. All won via a playoff in the second highest level of football.

AGS FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by FCS_pwns_FBS View Post
    2. Coaches can get fired if they don't pan out like their ADs and fans hope they will. Players can keep their scholarship even if they don't pan out the way their coaches hope.
    Coaches can get fired for cause, sure (if they get into legal trouble or get caught violating NCAA rules).
    if they get fired due to lack of success (without the aforementioned causes), then the school would have to buy out the contract and pay the coach as per the terms of the contract.

Whether or not players can keep their scholarship if they don't "pan out" depends on if the scholarship is multi-year or single-year. would it not?