Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which First Year Coach Will Have The Most Success?

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Furman

Re: Which First Year Coach Will Have The Most Success?

Quote Originally Posted by OL FU View Post
    I agree. I do expect Furman to get a lot better. I just don't expect the first year to be a lot better, just better.
    IMO Hendrix has the best shot at the biggest turnaround in one season… after going 4-7 in 2015 and 3-8 in 2016 a six-win season will be a huge improvement. It won't be sexy but that will a big step in the right direction. Clay has said many times since being named head coach at Furman. He expects to win now not later, and he has emphasized that to the players.

I will admit I know very little about the other 1st year coaching staffs, and I only know Chatty's by bio's and from following a few; Arth and Rascati in their previous jobs. Hendrix has brought together an impressive coaching nucleus. That seems to fit a plan.

Hendrix, Cronic and Quarles know offense, they all ran offenses that were different but have similar threads; fast-tempo, veer, wing formations, double-wide spreads. What they're cooking up, we will see against Wofford. What you can expect is great coaching and great game planning offensively. It's been a long time since we could say that about Furman.

And then you have Staggs defense. His record and the play of CSU in the last four years speaks for itself. Staggs has a ton of holes to plug. Expect to see some youngster work into playing time as the season progresses.

After saying all that. Furman has a realistic shot at a six-win season. Is that sexy… nope, but it would be a far cry from the last two dismal seasons. SoCon brothers you know you want to hate Furman again, I miss the old banter with GSU fans calling us Purple Pansies.

Proud Member of the AGS Wine and Cheese Crowd

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinNation View Post
    IMO Hendrix has the best shot at the biggest turnaround in one season… after going 4-7 in 2015 and 3-8 in 2016 a six-win season will be a huge improvement. It won't be sexy but that will a big step in the right direction. Clay has said many times since being named head coach at Furman. He expects to win now not later, and he has emphasized that to the players.

I will admit I know very little about the other 1st year coaching staffs, and I only know Chatty's by bio's and from following a few; Arth and Rascati in their previous jobs. Hendrix has brought together an impressive coaching nucleus. That seems to fit a plan.

Hendrix, Cronic and Quarles know offense, they all ran offenses that were different but have similar threads; fast-tempo, veer, wing formations, double-wide spreads. What they're cooking up, we will see against Wofford. What you can expect is great coaching and great game planning offensively. It's been a long time since we could say that about Furman.

And then you have Staggs defense. His record and the play of CSU in the last four years speaks for itself. Staggs has a ton of holes to plug. Expect to see some youngster work into playing time as the season progresses.

After saying all that. Furman has a realistic shot at a six-win season. Is that sexy… nope, but it would be a far cry from the last two dismal seasons. SoCon brothers you know you want to hate Furman again, I miss the old banter with GSU fans calling us Purple Pansies.
    I think a 6 win season was what I was talking about. Certainly a big improvement but I am old and have a long memory.
    Ah Horse Feathers!

I don't know what they have to say, It makes no difference anyway, Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    No matter what it is or who commenced it, I'm against it!
    Your proposition may be good, But let's have one thing understood: Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    And even when you've changed it or condensed it, I'm against it!

My Team
    Abilene Christian

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinNation View Post

ACU is virtually in the same position with Dorrel. We went 2-9 last year so a 5 or 6 win season would be a very good improvement. I think that win total is realistic under Dorrel.

My Team
    Chattanooga

I'm partial to Tom Arth. Really been impressed with him so far.

My Team
    Abilene Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat1997 View Post
    ACU is virtually in the same position with Dorrel. We went 2-9 last year so a 5 or 6 win season would be a very good improvement. I think that win total is realistic under Dorrel.
    I agree with you, my Wildcat brother. I expect more from Dorrel three years from now but for this season a net gain of +3 or 4 W's is doable and puts us on the right path.

We end the season with Sammy and UCA. It will be interesting to see how close we are to the conference elite by the end of the season. If we remain healthy I expect us to be stronger at the end than at the beginning of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy94 View Post
    I'm partial to Tom Arth. Really been impressed with him so far.
    He's gonna be a great football coach for a long time IMO. I just hope if he's a 1 or 2 and done here its because he truly elevated the program if not won a national title.
    To want something requires absolutely nothing. To will something requires sacrifice. That is the vision I have for Mocs football. A group that will have a tireless will to compete. When they play that way national championships are to be expected. That's our goal.

Tom Arth