PDA

View Full Version : ASU VS FURMAN GAME THREAD

Pages : 1 [2]

SideLine Shooter
November 7th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I sure miss Bobby Lamb.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I've already stated ASU was outcoached and outplayed. That said the predictability of the playcalling did hurt ASU offensively. ASU ran up the middle on over 80% of the first downs, I'm sure the Furman fans noted this as well. ASU actually did well on 3rd downs considering the OC put them in 3rd and long positions. Furman's defense played well, but some of that was due to the lack of creativity, especially on 1st down.

In all honesty, that has been App's offense for years -- quick screens, read options, occassional shot downfield, etc. I've never though of App's offense as creative, even when they were winning every game of the year. They have always had a quality offensive line blocking for good athletes who made plays.

But we're all forgetting an important point in all of this, just like last week with GSU and ASU, it's a heckuva lot easier to play defense when you have a three score lead. Particularly when you force a team to get back into the game three yards at the time.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I sure miss Bobby Lamb.

Doesn't take long to see the differences in the Lamb defense and the Fowler defense. Heck, the fact that we have registered as many sacks against App, Wofford, and UTC as we did all of last year should be a strong indicator of the differencs.

FurmanWins!!
November 7th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Doesn't take long to see the differences in the Lamb defense and the Fowler defense. Heck, the fact that we have registered as many sacks against App, Wofford, and UTC as we did all of last year should be a strong indicator of the differencs.

Agree!

OL FU
November 7th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Been waiting a long time for this, huh? xlolx

Damn rightxnodx, on the other if some fans didn't to their best to diminish it, I would have been as quiet as a butterfly. xnodx

Saint3333
November 7th, 2011, 10:25 AM
In all honesty, that has been App's offense for years -- quick screens, read options, occassional shot downfield, etc. I've never though of App's offense as creative, even when they were winning every game of the year. They have always had a quality offensive line blocking for good athletes who made plays.

But we're all forgetting an important point in all of this, just like last week with GSU and ASU, it's a heckuva lot easier to play defense when you have a three score lead. Particularly when you force a team to get back into the game three yards at the time.

ASU was never up more than 14 on GSU.

Running 80%+ on first down was not ASU's offense when we were successful (wasn't even true vs. GSU just last week). When a team goes 12-18 on 3rd downs they should win if they have any type of production on 1st down. ASU's predictable play calling, especially on 1st down, was a huge part of the problem.

I'm not trying to justify ASU as the better team, I've stated twice the better team effort won last week. Furman outcoached ASU no doubt about it.

You mentioned ASU for years running quick screens, read options, long pass downfield. That would have been nice to see those called at least 50% of the time to supplement the 1st down run up the middle.

asumike83
November 7th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Damn rightxnodx, on the other if some fans didn't to their best to diminish it, I would have been as quiet as a butterfly. xnodx

Quit lying, you know you enjoy telling us about this one! :D

OL FU
November 7th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Quit lying, you know you enjoy telling us about this one! :D

You got me. I am enjoying it. On the other hand, I also know how long it has been:o

asumike83
November 7th, 2011, 10:36 AM
You got me. I am enjoying it. On the other hand, I also know how long it has been:o

As do I... 2005 was my first trip to Paladin Stadium. I'm hoping for a 2005ish rematch in Boone too!

FurmanWins!!
November 7th, 2011, 10:41 AM
As do I... 2005 was my first trip to Paladin Stadium. I'm hoping for a 2005ish rematch in Boone too!

A rematch would be great!

OL FU
November 7th, 2011, 11:26 AM
A rematch would be great!

Shut yo mouthxlolx