PDA

View Full Version : Best Running back in the MVFC?

DOME
October 11th, 2011, 08:32 AM
A few good ones in the mix this season....

nmatsen
October 11th, 2011, 08:56 AM
There is no question in any way, shape, or form in my opinion. Shakir Bell is the best running back I have seen in my 11 years associated with the Gateway, MVC. Most of those games in person. He is a freak of nature and will have a legit shot play on Sundays.

344Johnson
October 11th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Im a bit of a homer, but DJ McNorton is a dude. Right now the line isn't making holes at all, but he is probably the most complete back NDSU has had since Kyle Steffes('06). UNI has had awesome backs too but I haven't seen Shakir Bell play yet, I guess Halloween will give me that opportunity. Jewel Hampton looks tough too.

BisonFan02
October 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM
McNorton has been dinged up and splitting time with Ojuri this year. We've seen a couple pretty hard running backs the past two weeks against ISUr and SIU, but my vote would probably be for Shakir Bell (admittedly haven't seen much of him yet).

UNIFanSince1983
October 11th, 2011, 09:43 AM
McNorton, Jewel Hampton, Shakir Bell, Ashton Leggett, Ojuri, David Johnson, Carlos Anderson, and probably more who I am not mentioning. This is a deep position for this conference.

I have seen them all except Ojuri, and for my money it is Bell. I could have sworn this kid had crisco on his jersey. He is slippery and very very quick. It has been quite a few years since I have seen a back shred our defense like Bell did before he went out with an apparent concussion.

BisonFan02
October 11th, 2011, 09:55 AM
McNorton, Jewel Hampton, Shakir Bell, Ashton Leggett, Ojuri, David Johnson, Carlos Anderson, and probably more who I am not mentioning. This is a deep position for this conference.

I have seen them all except Ojuri, and for my money it is Bell. I could have sworn this kid had crisco on his jersey. He is slippery and very very quick. It has been quite a few years since I have seen a back shred our defense like Bell did before he went out with an apparent concussion.

Ojuri is a sophomore and current #2 back for the Bison and should mature into a pretty good back for us the next two seasons. He's a bit more of a big play back (opinion) than a power runner, but I think once he starts to run more downhill rather than hitting a hole standing tall, he'd be a much better back.

Sycamore51
October 11th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Bell is very good. Thank goodness he was "too small" for the BCS teams of the world.

Professor Chaos
October 11th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I can't put McNorton up there at this point. His ankle has been troublesome since week 2 and he's split a lot of carries with Ojuri so I don't think either of them will be in this discussion by the end of the season. At this point I'd say Jewel Hampton or Shakir Bell. FWIW, the best runner in the conference could very well be playing QB for UNI.

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2011, 11:41 AM
UNI will never have a "top RB", because for as long as I can remember, our RBs have split carries. David Johnson or Carlos Anderson if healthy could put up good numbers on their own.

BisonFan02
October 11th, 2011, 11:43 AM
UNI will never have a "top RB", because for as long as I can remember, our RBs have split carries. David Johnson or Carlos Anderson if healthy could put up good numbers on their own.

Ditto. The Bison more and more have gone to at least two backs, and that's going to be the trend as long as a team is deep at the position.

unigriff
October 11th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I can't put McNorton up there at this point. His ankle has been troublesome since week 2 and he's split a lot of carries with Ojuri so I don't think either of them will be in this discussion by the end of the season. At this point I'd say Jewel Hampton or Shakir Bell. FWIW, the best runner in the conference could very well be playing QB for UNI.

+1. I'd vote Rennie too.

Just to think how good the three headed monster could be for UNI if they were all healthy. (Anderson almost 100% coming back, Johnson just went out saturday, Rennie..knock on wood has yet to see the bug).

Gil Dobie
October 11th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Shakir Bell is the best running back I have seen in my 11 years associated with the Gateway, MVC.

Who does Creighton have for a RB this year? ;)

BisonBacker
October 11th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I think you are forgetting a guy named Tyler Rohl??? I liked Steffes but head to head I'd take Rohl. He was a beast.

Im a bit of a homer, but DJ McNorton is a dude. Right now the line isn't making holes at all, but he is probably the most complete back NDSU has had since Kyle Steffes('06). UNI has had awesome backs too but I haven't seen Shakir Bell play yet, I guess Halloween will give me that opportunity. Jewel Hampton looks tough too.

joeybrownerhof
October 11th, 2011, 12:46 PM

The league is stacked and no disrespect to other players but Bell is the best.

344Johnson
October 11th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I think you are forgetting a guy named Tyler Rohl??? I liked Steffes but head to head I'd take Rohl. He was a beast.

Roehl was good at what he did, but Steffes was a 4 year productive horse. Great instincts, solid speed, everything. Roehl was a dude though too, not trying to take anything away from what he did.

So this Shakir Bell, he is playing for Indiana St.? And yes, Rennie is a dude, hopefully NDSU and UNI are both healthy heading into what could be a monster showdown at the end of the month. Perhaps FCS conference game of the year as far as rankings go?

ValleyChamp
October 11th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Shakir Bell is the answer.

Professor Chaos
October 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Roehl was good at what he did, but Steffes was a 4 year productive horse. Great instincts, solid speed, everything. Roehl was a dude though too, not trying to take anything away from what he did.

So this Shakir Bell, he is playing for Indiana St.? And yes, Rennie is a dude, hopefully NDSU and UNI are both healthy heading into what could be a monster showdown at the end of the month. Perhaps FCS conference game of the year as far as rankings go?
Wofford and Georgia Southern will be a pretty solid matchup also. Georgia Southern and NDSU would've been nice. xrolleyesx

UNIFanSince1983
October 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Not even mentioned is Jamaine Cook from Youngstown St. This guy is 5th in the country in average yards per game. If you look at the list for average yards per game Bell, Cook, Leggett, Hampton, Rennie and Johnson are all in the top 30 in the country.

semobison
October 12th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Watch the Indiana State SDSU game on Midco a couple weekends ago! Bell is scary good! Hands down the best in the Valley this year!

Strommer10
October 12th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I haven't seen Bell yet, but of the backs that I have seen, I was impressed with Hampton from SIU the most. Very elusive, quick, and strong. An all around good back.

ST_Lawson
October 12th, 2011, 11:13 AM
There is no question in any way, shape, or form in my opinion. Shakir Bell is the best running back I have seen in my 11 years associated with the Gateway, MVC. Most of those games in person. He is a freak of nature and will have a legit shot play on Sundays.

I agree that Bell is very likely the best RB in the conference this season, but I think he's still got a ways to go to be the best RB in the last 10-11 years. My vote for that honor is gotta be Herb Donaldson (holds the record and 2nd place spot for most rushing yards in a game, the record for most career rushing yards, tied for the record for most rushing TDs in a game, the record for the most career games over 100 yards rushing and has the 3rd most rushing TDs in a career).

That being said...Bell is a beast. He's averaging 152 yards per game with 8 TDs (1.3/game) so far this season and he's only a sophomore. He had 649 net yards and 2 TD's last year. If he stays healthy and continues through his entire career running about the same, he'll finish with over 5500 yards and around 45 TDs for his career. That would blow away Donaldson's 4746 career rushing record, put him around 5th on the career rushing TD list, and probably earn him a Payton award somewhere in there as well.

In the end, the NFL may decide he's a bit too small to take a chance on, but for the remainder of this year and the next two years, the conference defenses are going to have a rough time trying to stop him.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Zach Zenner... End of discussion. Mods, please lock this thread - it is now over.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Jacked_Rabbit
October 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM
In all seriousness, Shakir Bell is the best I've seen this year.

DJKyR0
October 12th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Shakir Bell tops my list, but lots of talent at the position in the league. Jarmaine Cook, Carlos Anderson, Jewel Hampton (great addition from Iowa), Adaris Bellamy (Cook's backup), Ashton Leggett, DJ McNorton (though he's banged up, and this could be the first time in forever that NDSU doesn't get a 1,000 yard rusher), Caulton Ray and Bryce Flowers from WIU...you get the idea.

John Crockett is a name some folks might want to pick up. NDSU picked him up in much the same way we got Marcus Williams, a Big Ten caliber guy who just didn't have the grades, greyshirted here and got his academics in order, and will be ready to go next fall. Got hard looks from Michigan and Michigan State, or so the story goes. Could be the next iteration in a line of great backs at NDSU.

joeybrownerhof
October 12th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Shakir Bell tops my list, but lots of talent at the position in the league. Jarmaine Cook, Carlos Anderson, Jewel Hampton (great addition from Iowa), Adaris Bellamy (Cook's backup), Ashton Leggett, DJ McNorton (though he's banged up, and this could be the first time in forever that NDSU doesn't get a 1,000 yard rusher), Caulton Ray and Bryce Flowers from WIU...you get the idea.

John Crockett is a name some folks might want to pick up. NDSU picked him up in much the same way we got Marcus Williams, a Big Ten caliber guy who just didn't have the grades, greyshirted here and got his academics in order, and will be ready to go next fall. Got hard looks from Michigan and Michigan State, or so the story goes. Could be the next iteration in a line of great backs at NDSU.

Sorry to continue thread drift but yes, Crockett could be a stud. I attended a few of his hs games and liked his skills.

alvinkayak6
October 12th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Ashton Leggett and Jewel Hampton are good enough to play in the B1G. No, seriously! Just imagine they could be making big plays in wins over Minnesota. Errr :D

What a great group of RB's. Does another conference even come close? I would guess maybe the CAA is second followed by the Big Sky?xreadx

LakesBison
October 12th, 2011, 04:40 PM
After last years Playoff run, i'd say DJ hands down. I still think DJ should be the top back with shakir bell.

unigriff
October 12th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Ashton Leggett and Jewel Hampton are good enough to play in the B1G. No, seriously! Just imagine they could be making big plays in wins over Minnesota. Errr :D

What a great group of RB's. Does another conference even come close? I would guess maybe the CAA is second followed by the Big Sky?xreadx

I highly doubt its even close.

mgbison
October 12th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I was impressed with ISUr's running back. He ran hard against the Bison and moves really well for a big back. I'm excited to see our we handle Bell in a couple of weeks.

DJKyR0
October 12th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I was impressed with ISUr's running back. He ran hard against the Bison and moves really well for a big back. I'm excited to see our we handle Bell in a couple of weeks.

A little food for thought is that NDSU contained Leggett much better this year than last year - Leggett ran for 149 or thereabouts last season and his backup put another hundred on us. On the day we allowed something like 280 rushing yards.

Went ahead and verified the numbers:

2010 (Normal) -
Leggett: 24 car, 148 yds, 1 TD
Smith: 16 car, 113 yds, 0 TD

2011 (Fargo) -
Leggett: 16 car, 73 yds, 0 TD
Dunn: 6 car, 24 yds, 0 TD

Strommer10
October 12th, 2011, 10:38 PM

Absolutely, guys gonna be a stud. Hate to say it but we will have a better backfield next year with Crocket & a seasoned Ojuri.

But this is this year and from everything I've read, Bell is the man. I can't say he is til I actually see him play. I hope the Bison defense slows him down a bit.

Sycamore51
October 13th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Absolutely, guys gonna be a stud. Hate to say it but we will have a better backfield next year with Crocket & a seasoned Ojuri.

But this is this year and from everything I've read, Bell is the man. I can't say he is til I actually see him play. I hope the Bison defense slows him down a bit.

I'm not sure about that, unless you are just meaning better than you have this year. Bell is just a soph. and his backup Cheeseborough is also a very very good back. He got hurt pretty badly during the WKU game, ambulance had to come get him, so with him healthy we will have a great 2 headed monster next year. By the, Cheese is also a soph and played high school ball at the football factory that is Warren Central in Indy.

Houndawg
October 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM

I think it's a little early to say he's better than Brandon Jacobs or Deji Karim, both of whom are playing on Sunday, or Arkee Whitlock.

Sycamore51
October 13th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I don't even think you can compare bell to Jacobs. Bell is a small, quick back. A lot like sprolls. Jacobs would run you over and take your girlfriend. I don't even see how you can compare them. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

underdawg
October 13th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Bell reminds me of "Mo" a lot, maybe not as strong yet but explosive. Jacobs is a different type of back than Bell and/or Deji.

Sycamore51
October 13th, 2011, 08:23 AM
How about a backfield with Jacobs and Bell splitting time! How would you prepare for that?

Twentysix
October 13th, 2011, 11:23 AM
You have a running back with the last name cheeseburger? Classic!

Strommer10
October 14th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I'm not sure about that, unless you are just meaning better than you have this year. Bell is just a soph. and his backup Cheeseborough is also a very very good back. He got hurt pretty badly during the WKU game, ambulance had to come get him, so with him healthy we will have a great 2 headed monster next year. By the, Cheese is also a soph and played high school ball at the football factory that is Warren Central in Indy.

Yes I meant better than ours this year.

devin45k
October 14th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Mcnorton is a stud but has been shakey since he got dinged up. Ojuri has stepped up like a beast.

Shakir Bell is Indiana State's whole offense.

If I had to give and RB of the conference right now it would be Shakir Bell.

Indianastate45
October 15th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Bell with 213 yards and 3 TDs today.

strike00
October 16th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I thought I looked at halftime and he wasn't having a good game? I must have been wrong. I'm glad UNI is done with ISU this year. Bell is a Monster that teams have to figure out what to do with. Best RB in FCS? It's tough to imagine a better one not in a triple option offense. I'm happy for sycamore fans that stuck with their team, the feeling has to be great right now.

Twentysix
October 16th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Bell is an underclassmen right? Soph or something?

Yikes.

ST_Lawson
October 16th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I thought I looked at halftime and he wasn't having a good game? I must have been wrong.

You weren't wrong. We were doing pretty well at stopping him in the first half. In the second half, Fouch was able to open up the defense a bit by hitting some passes...that's when Bell exploded. I can't think of any other single RB who can so thoroughly dominate a game singlehandedly. I'm sure there are 2-RB combos that together can do what Bell can do, but he's one of those "once in a decade" players for a team. We (WIU) had Stecker in the '90s, Donaldson in the '00s...Indiana State has Bell for the '10s.

And yes...Bell is a Sophomore.

beauspencer
October 16th, 2011, 06:01 PM
At halftime vs. WIU
Bell: 4 carries, 11 yards

Final Stats
Bell: 21 carries, 213 yards, 3 TD

No_Skill
October 16th, 2011, 06:07 PM
At halftime vs. WIU
Bell: 4 carries, 11 yards

Final Stats
Bell: 21 carries, 213 yards, 3 TD

Only 10 yrds/carry??? I guess that's ok. :D

clenz
October 16th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Bell is the best running back in the conference.

UNI probably has the best overall running attack.

Chi Panther
October 16th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Bell and its not close.

Best running back since Aaron Stecker IMO...

NDSU, not smack talking as I know McNorton is a decent back but against UNI:
2010, 2 yards rushing and 3 catches for 10 yards
2009, 18 yards rushing

isutom
October 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Bell and Jewell Hampton both attended Warren Central High School in Indianapolis. The school produces great running backs. Before them was Darren Evans, who played at Virginia Tech and is now with the Colts. It was Evans, Hampton, Cheesebourgh (who is now Bell's backup at Indiana State) and then Bell. They've got another one this year, a kid named Devonte Buckley.