PDA

View Full Version : A critical time for Martin

OL FU
April 25th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Might as well keep up the banter on the draft. :)

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thestate/sports/14421056.htm?source=rss&channel=thestate_sports

Ingle Martin has heard virtually every criticism that can be leveled against a quarterback.

First, he was too small. Then, he lacked athletic ability.

Perhaps his arm was a tad weak, too.

Then came the NFL Combine.

Mr. C
April 25th, 2006, 11:08 PM
When you read some of these dumb comments, you wonder if these so-called experts have done any homework at all. Most of us who watched Ingle Martin with unbiased eyes think he has plenty of talent to succeed at the NFL level. He is also a classy fellow.

UNH 40
April 26th, 2006, 07:10 AM
When you read some of these dumb comments, you wonder if these so-called experts have done any homework at all. Most of us who watched Ingle Martin with unbiased eyes think he has plenty of talent to succeed at the NFL level. He is also a classy fellow.

Couldn't agree with you more. The thing that drives me crazy about the NFL is the amount of stock that they put into how players perform at the combine or pro-days. Who cares about that crap. What do they do on the field, do they play fast? do they play strong? Do they play tough? That is what i would want to know if I was an NFL GM or Scout. Some of these guys run 4.4 40s at the combine but play at 4.8 on the field. A great example is Lendale White, now i will agree that there is concern about the fact that he showed up out of shape at 244, but do these scouts really get concern with the fact that he only bench pressed 225, 14 times. Put him on the field and he is as powerful and strong as anyone in the draft. Does a player produce when he is on the field? Or doesn't he? That is what I would want to know.

AUCATAMOUNT
April 26th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Nobody knows anything in football, there is no such thing as a sure thing. Reggie Bush could break both legs the first down of a preseason game and be done forever, but noone knows that, Lots of people have time to look at Ingle and others before they speak, but "consensus" is a four letter word in evaluations this time of year. People who know don't want others to know and people who don't know use supposition and preconceptions instead of looking at film.
ESPN's Tuesday Morning Quarterback discusses this problem, in less than a paragraph, if you go down the article to the section heading Size Does Matter you will see how horrible Scouts.com is. Basically they make an 8 pound difference in the size of two defensive tackles the difference between undersized and big.

Mr. Tiger
April 27th, 2006, 08:53 AM
This comes from someone who hasn't watched Martin much, but I was really impressed with his combine work. I watched it on the NFL Network and he looked really good. He was hitting people in stride, had plenty of zip on the ball, and has a quick release.

youwouldno
April 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM
What makes me mad is when various "experts" provide analysis of a player that is clearly wrong, and often not even their own incorrect thought. Some publications have said Martin hasn't had to line up under center, when in fact Furman runs a multiple I. If someone can't get that right, what about the factors that require real scouting?

Mr. C
April 28th, 2006, 05:30 PM
What makes me mad is when various "experts" provide analysis of a player that is clearly wrong, and often not even their own incorrect thought. Some publications have said Martin hasn't had to line up under center, when in fact Furman runs a multiple I. If someone can't get that right, what about the factors that require real scouting?
Furman probably ran more I than they did shotgun. With Jerome Felton in the backfield, you would be stupid not to. Maybe these fools think Martin was still running the Fun and Gun with Steve Spurrier? Maybe they forgot he transfered to Furman?