PDA

View Full Version : Duke QB transfers to YSU

GoGuins
April 24th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Joins the team as a Grad student, has one year left. From neighboring Sharon, PA, about 15 min. from Ytown. He says he wants to compete for the starting QB job, currently held by 3rd year QB Tom Zetts, but will contribute anyway he can.

He joins Ferlando Williams (Georgia Military, signed with Tenn-Chattanooga out of HS) as the 2 new QB's on the roster.

He will provide much needed depth at the QB position with last years back-up Vince Gliatta (Penn St.) moving to safety on defense. The current back-up (RS Fr Todd Rowan) has no game experience.

http://duke.scout.com/2/423161.html

FlyYtown
April 25th, 2006, 05:38 AM
I like this in the since our QB Depth is that greater now.... Zetts will start no doubt, but Schneider will provide great relief to Zetts when need be, especially since Gliatta moved to defense.

Damn, this roster is full of transfers, I wonder if they know what so many Penguin fans know, this is the year!

GoGuins
April 25th, 2006, 07:50 AM
I like this in the since our QB Depth is that greater now.... Zetts will start no doubt, but Schneider will provide great relief to Zetts when need be, especially since Gliatta moved to defense.

Damn, this roster is full of transfers, I wonder if they know what so many Penguin fans know, this is the year!

How sure are you Schneider can't unseat Zetts? I'm all for competition for the starting spot. He is coming from Duke ;) but he did play in the ACC and did pretty well considering what he had around him.

Yes, YSU has gotten several I-A transfers lately, but remember, most are from the NE Ohio area. Irrizarry (Ohio St), Williams (Michigan St), Smith-Davis (Michigan St), Mellot (Ohio U.), & now Schneider (Duke) are all from the Ytown area.

GoGuins
April 25th, 2006, 11:25 AM
http://www.sharonherald.com/sports/local_story_114193205.html?keyword=topstory

FlyYtown
April 25th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I'm just saying, he is going to come in now after spring drills, with Zetts on top at QB Helm, I'd like to see the guy who is more in-sync with the players play with them...

I do not know much on Schneider, but I do think he could cause havoc on teams who are expecting our running game, since he can always come in with a totally different kinda offense.

GSUSpider
April 25th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I think things keeping looking better for the Richmond Spiders who travel to Duke early next season. :nod:

Tribe4SF
April 25th, 2006, 07:34 PM
This guy was awful last fall for Duke, losing the starting job mid-season. 41-86 for a rating of 68, with 6 ints. and no TDs. Even played poorly against VMI. Had -11 rushing yards.

blukeys
April 26th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Hmmm.... in 2 days no one has complained that there must be something fishy about a 5th year senior and graduate student transferring out of Duke. Last time this happened someone said the NCAA should look into this practice of Grad Students transferring for their 4th year of eligibility.

I guess Duke 5th year students can transfer without complaint provided they don't go to certain schools. :nod: :nod:

blur2005
April 27th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Schneider had a good year with Duke (relatively speaking) two years ago, but then lost the starting job last season. Good pick up for the Penguins, though if he were still an undergrad it would be foolish on his part to leave Duke, considering the school it is. But since he's now a grad student, it works well.

Tribe4SF
April 27th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Hmmm.... in 2 days no one has complained that there must be something fishy about a 5th year senior and graduate student transferring out of Duke. Last time this happened someone said the NCAA should look into this practice of Grad Students transferring for their 4th year of eligibility.

I guess Duke 5th year students can transfer without complaint provided they don't go to certain schools. :nod: :nod:

Nothing wrong with grad student transfers. The Tribe may get one this year from Notre Dame, if he can get into the program he wants.

Husky Alum
April 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I'll take a smidge of exception to Tribe's comment.

There's nothing against NCAA regs in taking a grad student. I'm not really a fan of the "hired guns" that are brought in for one season. It's not a violation of NCAA rules and it's not something that's unethical in my view.

I just think that it's a huge loophole that will likely never be closed, and it just isn't something I think that should be done as a matter of practice.

NU thought it had a kid from ND last year, but the grad program he wanted had a couple of core classes that only ran in the fall during practice, so he couldn't make it fit.

I-AA Fan
April 27th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Good point Husky. I personally am against IA to I-AA transfers (without the waiting period) to begin with, but this is no different than any other. I see he was red-shirted, so this would be his 4th year (but these are stat copies & could be wrong).

We reward prop-players, with an additional year, for becoming juniors; so what is wrong with rewarding those that graduate? Seems to me they are even more deserving.

PapaBear
April 27th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Very tough for a new guy to unseat a 3-year starter, no matter where he comes from or how smart he is. Today's pass offenses are loaded with read progressions, checkoffs, pass-protection schemes and adjustments, and all sorts of other options. For a new guy to come in and grasp all of it that fast, and be able to perform better than a guy who's been managing the offense for three years ... either the incumbent would have to be a real stiff, or the new guy would have to be superman.

Odds are against either of those.