PDA

View Full Version : SoCon predictions for Saturday 10/8

woffordgrad94
October 3rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
Wofford 24, The Citadel 14...Terriers must avoid a letdown against an improved Bulldog team on the road, but Ayers keeps 'em focused

Furman 30, Samford 20...The Paladins have a tough battle on their hands as Sammy will provide a good test, but FU is up to it

Elon 27, Western Carolina 21...The Catamounts just don't get it done defensively when it really counts in this one

Georgia Southen 45, Chattanooga 17...The Mocs' slide continues in a big way in Statesboro

Go Apps
October 4th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Furman 38 Samford 24
Elon 34 WCU 21
Wofford 21 Citadel 20
GSU 38 UTC 35

md64179
October 4th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Wofford-28
El Cid-17

Elon-35
Western-20

Furman-31
Samford-21

GSU-40
UTC-27

Apphole
October 4th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Furman 27 Sammy 13
Elon 34 Western 14
Wofford 42 El Cid 13
GaSo 38 UTC 17

The Cats
October 4th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Samford at Furman

Elon at Western

Wofford at the Citadel

UTC at GSU

asumike83
October 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Wofford 35
The Citadel 20

Furman 31
Samford 17

Western Carolina 20
Elon 17

Georgia Southern 31
Chattanooga 20

youwouldno
October 4th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Away/Home

Wofford 24
The Citadel 21

Samford 20
Furman 38

Elon 41
WCU 24

UTC 20
GSU 35

The clock is just going to melt off in that Wofford/Citadel game, so I doubt the score will get too high. WCU doesn't seem to have a defense so I think Elon will find the end zone a good number of times.

asucrutch23
October 4th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Wofford 35
The Citadel 17

Samford 20
Furman 31

Elon 28
Western 21

Chattanooga 21
Ga Southern 31

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Samford at Furman

Elon at Western

Wofford at the Citadel

UTC at GSU

Two things jump off the page:

1) Wofford better avoid a let down after a big win. The Citadel has a fine defense and can play keep away. Winning in Charleston is no easy feat.

2) UTC needs to play like its season is on the line, because, it is.

FurmanWins!!
October 4th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Another good week of SoCon games lined up, things now getting very interesting, Go Paladins, Beat Samford!!!

Ivytalk
October 4th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Away/Home

Wofford 24
The Citadel 21

Samford 20
Furman 38

Elon 41
WCU 24

UTC 20
GSU 35

The clock is just going to melt off in that Wofford/Citadel game, so I doubt the score will get too high. WCU doesn't seem to have a defense so I think Elon will find the end zone a good number of times.

This looks pretty good to me. I think the Wofford game will be close in Knobville.

biggie
October 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Wofford 24
The Citadel 17

Furman 35
Samford 14

Western Carolina 10
Elon 17

Georgia Southern 34
Chattanooga 24

But hoping for the Chatty and El Cit upsets to even things out.

TwoFeathers
October 4th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Where is Chattownmocs??

asumike83
October 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Where is Chattownmocs??

Even though UT got a win this weekend, he was inconsolable after the UT-C loss. My guess is that this resulted in the shattering of some household appliances and led to an indefinite suspension of internet privileges from his mother.

I would be curious to see his Chattanooga/GSU prediction, though.

TwoFeathers
October 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Even though UT got a win this weekend, he was inconsolable after the UT-C loss. My guess is that this resulted in the shattering of some household appliances and led to an indefinite suspension of internet privileges from his mother.

I would be curious to see his Chattanooga/GSU prediction, though.

He (chattownmocs) has no respect for the Triple Option offense... I think he once referred to it as a Pee-Wee league system. I think I know his prediction already...

Terrierforlife
October 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Wofford 35 - Citadel 10
Furman 17 - Samford 28
Western Carolina 10 - Elon 20
Georgia Southern 21 - Chattanooga 24

Rekdiver
October 4th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Wofford 42 -El Cid 7
Furman 10-Sammy 17
WCU 24-Elon 21
Chatty-35-GSU 28

Smitty
October 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Really low scores for WCU/Elon games so far... I think that at least one team will be in the 30s

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Wofford 42 -El Cid 7
Furman 10-Sammy 17
WCU 24-Elon 21
Chatty-35-GSU 28

Furman has averaged nearly 60 points over the past two games and you're holding them to 10? :)

GeauxLions94
October 4th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Furman 31 Samford 17
Elon 27 WCU 14
Wofford 38 Citadel 13
GSU 42 UTC 34

appfan2008
October 4th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Samford at Furman

Elon at Western

Wofford at the Citadel

UTC at GSU

look for the catamounts to pull out a win and as expected elsewhere...

boonegoon
October 4th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Furman 24 Samford 16
Elon 21 WCU 24
Wofford 21 Citadel 17
GSU 31 UTC 10

SoConisMyAntiDrug
October 4th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Samford at Furman- This has all the makings to be a great game. It is hard to really read Samford considering that no one really talks about them, but I think they are well coached and play very hard. Furman has been dominant since the opening loss to Coastal....could they be for real? FU- 35 SU-24

Elon at Western- Word around Elon is that the players are more concerned about throwing a party after the game Saturday than the Catamounts. The last two times Elon has played at Western Carolina, it has been a dog fight, which has ended in the Phoenix favor. I think Western pulls this one out, if Elon continues on their turnover trend. WCU-28 Elon-24

Wofford at the Citadel- Citadel is riding high after the huge win vs. Chattanooga and it is always tough playing in Charleston, but Wofford just seems too tough right now. WC-35 Cit-10

UTC at GSU- Chattanooga needs to wake up. They have started the season well and has some big victories, but last week's loss was mind boggling. Can Coach Huesman get his boys back on track at Paulson Stadium........it is going to be tough, but if GSU slips up, I think this is the game. UTC-35 GSU-31

Cats4life
October 4th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Im new to the board but il go ahead and make some predictions
Samford at Furman 31-20
Elon at Western 31-28
Woffordat The Citadel 34-17
UTC at GSU 41-21

SpeedkingATL
October 4th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Im new to the board but il go ahead and make some predictions
Samford at Furman 31-20
Elon at Western 31-28
Woffordat The Citadel 34-17
UTC at GSU 41-21

Welcome to the board Cats4life!!

SpeedkingATL
October 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Where is Chattownmocs??

It's pretty tame on the SoCon threads without him. Come on Chattownmocs, time to fire up the keyboard!

OL FU
October 4th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Wrong place to post this but what the heck. It is possible that I will have a few extra tickets for the Furman Samford game but I won't know until Friday. If interested PM me and I will let you know as soon as I know.

and of course there is no charge.

ElonPride
October 4th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Elon at Western- Word around Elon is that the players are more concerned about throwing a party after the game Saturday than the Catamounts.

WTF are you talking about?

gasoutherneagle
October 4th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Furple: 35-14
E-Loan: 28-10
Lap Dogs: 24-17
THE Georgia Southern University 56-14

Birdy-Choochoo-Indianshoe got some PAYBACK coming at OUR HOUSE!!!

SCPALADIN
October 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Wrong place to post this but what the heck. It is possible that I will have a few extra tickets for the Furman Samford game but I won't know until Friday. If interested PM me and I will let you know as soon as I know.

and of course there is no charge.

PM'd you, but your mailbox is full.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 4th, 2011, 07:20 PM
We have a QB who is very hurt in Jaybo Shaw (knee), a backup in Jerrick McKinnon with a big cast on his right (throwing) hand, and a second backup in "Izzy" Youyute who, while perhaps more talented than the other two, has very little game experience. Champions "find a way to win" and the Eagles will have to prove that the rest of the schedule. Chattanooga obviously has problems right now, but I think which ever team comes out the most excited and fired up wins this game. Looking forward to it.

Wofford will probably be just too much for The Citadel and the Terriers should win easy.

Western's offense is much better, but Elon will be able to move the ball. This is Elon's game to lose by not finishing drives. I actually hope Western gives Coach Wagner a chance. The Cats have the makings of a pretty good offense and are bound to have a better team next year. A schools in Western's recruiting predicament needs to give a Coach plenty of time and support.

The Furman-Samford game should be a good one. Samford may be the best team Furman has seen so far while Samford has weathered tough losses to both Ga Southern and Wofford. If Furman wins convincingly and Chattanooga loses, Furman will be the 4th team in the SoCon to look out for and they'll be 3-0 headed to Statesboro next week.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 4th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks to Woffordgrad94 for starting this thread. My Predictions for this week are:

Samford @ Furman - Paladins roll in this one.
Elon @ Western Carolina - The Dennis Wagner Death Watch is on (WCU loses this week, they are eliminated from the playoffs as an at-large team).
Wofford @ The Citadel - Wofford's peaking at the right time.
Chattanooga @ Georgia Southern - Mocs no problem for the Eagles (UTC loses this week, they have no more room for error the rest of the way).

TwoFeathers
October 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
It's pretty tame on the SoCon threads without him. Come on Chattownmocs, time to fire up the keyboard!

I can't believe he's even reading posts... way too tempting not to jump in. Must have busted up his keyboard, before he trashed his entire pad. I'll bet a close game, and certainly a win against GSU will bring him back.

TwoFeathers
October 4th, 2011, 07:50 PM
We have a QB who is very hurt in Jaybo Shaw (knee), a backup in Jerrick McKinnon with a big cast on his right (throwing) hand, and a second backup in "Izzy" Youyute who, while perhaps more talented than the other two, has very little game experience.

Who's starting? Can Shaw and McKinnon even play?

Fear the Bird
October 4th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Has anybody heard from chatmocs? Are the mocs still going to beat GSU?

GSU_Alum08
October 4th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Shaw will play, he's just not at 100%. McKinnon didn't even travel last week, not sure what his status is for this week.

TwoFeathers
October 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Has anybody heard from chatmocs? Are the mocs still going to beat GSU?

I swear I'm going to start a 'Where's Chattownmocs?' thread... starting to get worried about the guy.

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Where is Chattownmocs??

Beating GSU this week will be bittersweet...The sweet part is obvious, the bitter will be the return (WITH A WRECKLESS VENGEANCE) of Chatttown!!!! I appreciate his vigor, but my mama always said to "beware of a zealot" ....and "true loyalties/character appear in times of adversity." Well after losing two bad showings by the Mocs, I think we kinda see his true colors.

TwoFeathers
October 4th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Beating GSU this week will be bittersweet...The sweet part is obvious, the bitter will be the return (WITH A WRECKLESS VENGEANCE) of Chatttown!!!! I appreciate his vigor, but my mama always said to "beware of a zealot" ....and "true loyalties/character appear in times of adversity." Well after losing two bad showings by the Mocs, I think we kinda see his true colors.

Here's what will need to happen for CTM to re-appear from the darkness:

1) Mocs beat GSU
2) Chatanooga has a 'player of the week' (may take 2)
3) Geek Squad fixes the PC he destroyed after the Mocs disintegrated against Citadel
4) Someone slips him a 'short-term memory loss' pill
5) He converts to a Ga Southern fan...

Iam4Mocs
October 4th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I think we kinda see his true colors.

That would be UT Orange and white.

chattanoogamocs
October 4th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I think we have seen what kind of fan Chattownmocs really is...a front running bandwagon fan.

The real Chattanooga fans are still here...I was here when Rodney Allison lost to Carson Newman...I was here when the Mocs only one 1 game in a season (Cumberland)...I sure as hell ain't runnin' away because we lost to the Citadel.

While we as fans might be a little down right now because of the late collapse on Saturday...life is still a hell of a lot better than it has been...and it will continue to get better. These young Mocs just need more experience (that goes for players AND coaches). Russ will be the first to admit, being an HC is a completely different world than being a DC...he makes mistakes just like everyone else (and hopefully learns from them).

chattanoogamocs
October 4th, 2011, 10:52 PM
That would be UT Orange and white.

+1000

seantaylor
October 5th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Furman 24 Samford 27- Samford edges Furman
Elon 38 WCU 35- shootout
Wofford 24 Citadel 21- game winning drive for Woffy
GSU 51 UTC 7- Old fashioned beating in Paulson. GSU's defensive line eats up the overrated Coleman.

Milktruck74
October 5th, 2011, 05:39 AM
the overrated Coleman[/B].

I don't know why people see Coleman as overrated. He is a solid QB. His problems lie in the fact He has two linemen trying to protect him that played on Friday nights last fall. When your blind side is protected by a KID, you don't have the same confidence as you had the year before with Chris Harr (that made it to the final cut with the Chiefs). THe problems extend to true freshmen RBs that are trying to figure out how to pick up the blitz (which is much faster and complex than HS).

Bottom Line, Coleman is as good as people say he is, it is just hard to be a one man offense from your back!!!!

Twentysix
October 5th, 2011, 05:47 AM

First off the pull cord on his redneck keyboard is broken 2nd he is out of gasoline.

He has to take it down to Walden to get it fixed by a man with 3 teeth.

And finally UTC isn't doing as good as he would like. :(

OL FU
October 5th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Sent you a PM and cleared mine out. Thanks for telling me, I didn't notice.

olejack
October 5th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Think I'll join the ranks of the ifs, ifs, and ifs posters. I have a cautious optimism about this weeks game against Ga Sou. MilkTruck stated it well that the Mocs have pretty much been a one man offense with BJ having to carry the load with the absense of a solid running game. The hits and having to thow off his back foot is taking a toll on the ability to make the big play that we need to overcome lack of a running game and a balanced O. But, I have to believe that the young but talented O line is going to find its way at some point. Injuries at the very talented running back position for the Mocs is not as big of a concern as the time it's taking for the O line to get it together. So, IF the O line can improve this week and IF we can establish the presence of a run attack and balance on O and keep GSUs very dangerous and efficient TO offense off the field we have a good chance for an upset. I'm going with 28-21 Mocs. Heart pick? Yea, like the other Chat posters (except the one), I'm all heart.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2011, 07:37 AM
If UTC beats GSU, you can rest assured he'll show back up.

GaSouthern
October 5th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I'm feeling that WCU and UTC pull off the upsets this week.

Woffy @ Citadel
28-3

Samford @ Furman
31-10

Elon @ Western Carolina
28-24

Chatty @ Georgia Southern
27-24

cannonballgsu
October 5th, 2011, 08:11 AM
It's funny seeing all the different takes on the UTC@GSU matchup. Some are calling for the upset while others are calling for the blowout. Whether it's an upset or not, it will be very close IMO.

Woffy @ Citadel
35-14

Samford @ Furman
34-17

Elon @ Western Carolina
21-10

38-35

Smitty
October 5th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I'm feeling that WCU and UTC pull off the upsets this week.

Woffy @ Citadel
28-3

Samford @ Furman
31-10

Elon @ Western Carolina
28-24

27-24

Wow actually picking against your team any reasons why?

GaSouthern
October 5th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Wow actually picking against your team any reasons why?

I know the score does not look like it but the game against Elon, we looked HORRIBLE, we can't keep our hands on the ball and the last time we played Chattanooga we had 9 penalties.

Don't get me wrong, I think if we play a perfect game we win by 4 TD's but I'm pretty sure that is not going to be the case. Remember it's not what i'm hoping will happen, it's what I think will happen. I think we will play sloppy, turn the ball over, and since we are missing one of our best defenders in the backfield I think BJ is going to pick us apart.

longtimemocfan
October 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I swear I'm going to start a 'Where's Chattownmocs?' thread... starting to get worried about the guy.

I think you all are starting to miss him. After all he did start one of the hottest threads this season that had 358 replies and 12,385 views.
Be careful what you wish for. If we should win this game or by any means should have won it he'll be back.

Furman-27 Samford-24

Woffy-24 The Citadel-14

Elon-38 W.Car-21

GSU-28 Chatt-21

OLDMAIN80
October 5th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Furman
WOFFORD
Elon
GSU

Woof
October 5th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Wow, very interesting.... everyone is saying how hot the Bellhops are, how strong their D is, how improved their TO is and how hard it is to win in Chucktown (all of which I agree with BTW), but not a single person has picked the slobbery dogs to upset the Terriers?

Furman-28 Samford-21...this one could go either way....should be a hard fought, close game.

Mighty Terriers-34 The Citadel-17....if we eliminate the penalties and poor kick off coverage, I think we wear the slobber dogs down in the 2nd half.

Elon-34 W.Car-10....nothing to see here.

GSU-27 Chatt-28........note the intended irony in the score.... I think RH uses last week's collapse to motivate the Indian Slippers to upset the wounded Eaglets.

alvinkayak6
October 5th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Bulldogs vs. Terriers. WOOF! Sadly, Terriers pull off the upset ;) 30-28

Milktruck74
October 5th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Chattown getting some props. The guy did stir the pot for sure.

I think you all are starting to miss him. After all he did start one of the hottest threads this season that had 358 replies and 12,385 views.
Be careful what you wish for. If we should win this game or by any means should have won it he'll be back.

Furman-27 Samford-24

Woffy-24 The Citadel-14

Elon-38 W.Car-21

GSU-28 Chatt-21

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I know the score does not look like it but the game against Elon, we looked HORRIBLE, we can't keep our hands on the ball and the last time we played Chattanooga we had 9 penalties.

Don't get me wrong, I think if we play a perfect game we win by 4 TD's but I'm pretty sure that is not going to be the case. Remember it's not what i'm hoping will happen, it's what I think will happen. I think we will play sloppy, turn the ball over, and since we are missing one of our best defenders in the backfield I think BJ is going to pick us apart.

You make an interesting point. GSU has looked really good, but the number of fumbles on offense has to be concerning, particularly against defenses that are not really top tier.

We are going to see if UTC has any fight in them. Season's on the line, and they can ill afford another loss. GSU really hasn't faced a team this season that will bow up to them. UTC either does that, or they will be looking to 2012.

youwouldno
October 5th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Fumbles are somewhat random... it's too early to suggest GSU has a problem in that area.

Eagle22
October 5th, 2011, 10:43 AM
GSU isn't hitting on all cylinders offensively, and playing a relatively soft schedule early on has probably padded the scoring stats so far. That said, the Eagles enjoy nearly a 30 point average differential between points scored and points allowed. That can be a lot of ground for the competition to make up.

Defensively, GSU has faced the #3, #5 and #7 ranked scoring offenses (Samford, WCU and Elon) .... on defense, outside of Western Carolina, everyone in the conference is allowing between 17.5 and 26.6 points a game.

You could knock three TD's off of GSU's average of 46.5 ppg, and you'd end up with GSU still scoring 25.5 points .... good enough on average, to be in any game vs a conference opponent.

I've watched the Eagles offense for a long time, and when we're completing >50% of our passes, scoring 30+ points a game, and rushing for over 5 yards an attempt on average, we're usually hard to beat. Right now, we're at 58% completion, averaging 46.5 points, and rushing for 6.8 yards per carry.

Those averages may not be realized on Saturday, but I'd rather us be in this position than be in Chattanooga's ... which is scaling back on offensive schematics, trying to establish/find a running game against a team that is allowing on average just 57 yards a game on the ground.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Fumbles are somewhat random... it's too early to suggest GSU has a problem in that area.

I don't think it is as random as you suggest.

Last season against Furman, Georgia Southern fumbled five times. This season, they have already fumbled seven times. In 2010, they fumbled 29 times. The only teams the fumbled more were the two teams in the cellar, WCU and the Citadel.

The good news for GSU is they recover most of them. So I imagine most of the loose balls are on errant pitches, which are necessarily towards your own players. Still, they lead the conference in that category and are really the only team left that has yet to play a stingy defense. You put the ball on the ground against App, Wofford, UTC, Furman, etc. and it may cost you the game.

blueballs
October 5th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Last season against Furman, Georgia Southern fumbled five times. This season, they have already fumbled seven times. In 2010, they fumbled 29 times. The only teams the fumbled more were the two teams in the cellar, WCU and the Citadel.

The good news for GSU is they recover most of them. So I imagine most of the loose balls are on errant pitches, which are necessarily towards your own players. Still, they lead the conference in that category and are really the only team left that has yet to play a stingy defense. You put the ball on the ground against App, Wofford, UTC, Furman, etc. and it may cost you the game.

...and a lot of those fumbles are by second and third teamers in mop up duty. Heck, GSU's 3rd team QB fumbled on 3 consecutive plays vs. Elon, recovering 2.

Your point is very well taken though, turnovers will get you beat against good teams.

Eagle22
October 5th, 2011, 11:28 AM

In this post, and a previous one, you talk about a 'stingy' defense and a 'top tier' defense.

What defines that ? Scoring average ? Most of the SoCon teams are within a TD of one another in regards to points allowed per game. Two of the three teams that aren't in that range are probably there partially because they've already played GSU, who has been putting up some points.

Are we far enough into the season to draw valid conclusions about how productive, respective offenses and defenses are, relative to one another ?

I'll have a better feel for it after this weekend. I don't think after two or three conference games in, that one can definitively say that Chattanooga has a particulary stout defense. Maybe App just has a very poor offense this year, so far.

CID1990
October 5th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Furman 24 Samford 27- Samford edges Furman
Elon 38 WCU 35- shootout
Wofford 24 Citadel 21- game winning drive for Woffy
GSU 51 UTC 7- Old fashioned beating in Paulson. GSU's defensive line eats up the overrated Coleman.

ST, i am speechless.

ElonPride
October 5th, 2011, 12:48 PM
...and a lot of those fumbles are by second and third teamers in mop up duty. Heck, GSU's 3rd team QB fumbled on 3 consecutive plays vs. Elon, recovering 2.

Your point is very well taken though, turnovers will get you beat against good teams.

Why wasn't GSU's 2nd string in the game? Did he not travel with the team?

That 3rd string guy is crazy fast, but man he needs wash his hands after eating at Hurshey's BBQ in Burlington before going in! :)

Eaglesrus
October 5th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Why wasn't GSU's 2nd string in the game? Did he not travel with the team?
That 3rd string guy is crazy fast, but man he needs wash his hands after eating at Hurshey's BBQ in Burlington before going in! :)

He did not. Broke a bone in his hand some time last week. We're hoping he (Jerrick Mckinnon by name) will be back soon, as he is possibly our most dangerous offensive weapon. Besides being our #2 QB he has lined up at both slot and wide receiver this year.

cannonballgsu
October 5th, 2011, 02:10 PM
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics25/400/SF/SFQYWPPTZJIFHGE.20070830134503.gif + http://newsupermariobrosonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/super-mario-mushroom.jpg = http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6061/6137638902_aff7e07ffe.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronnycannon/6137638902/)

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM
In this post, and a previous one, you talk about a 'stingy' defense and a 'top tier' defense.

What defines that ? Scoring average ? Most of the SoCon teams are within a TD of one another in regards to points allowed per game. Two of the three teams that aren't in that range are probably there partially because they've already played GSU, who has been putting up some points.

Are we far enough into the season to draw valid conclusions about how productive, respective offenses and defenses are, relative to one another ?

I'll have a better feel for it after this weekend. I don't think after two or three conference games in, that one can definitively say that Chattanooga has a particulary stout defense. Maybe App just has a very poor offense this year, so far.

I understand that. Looking at the scoring defense and total defense, at this point, is difficult. For one, because several of GSU's opponents have played terrible teams (Stillman, Concord, etc.), and as expected, put up great numbers. Those three SoCon wins for GSU are also the three worst rushing defenses in the league, which, of course, comes in part because they played such a good rushing team in Georgia Southern.

As I said in some other post, I'm not big on the "who have they played" argument. You either win your games, or you don't.

I don't think it can be disputed that Georgia Southern fumbles the ball a lot. They lead the conference last year. They are leading it again this year. My point is to say that GSU, without better ball control, can fumble away one of their games. Look at last season's Furman game. If you just looked at the numbers, you'd think Furman got killed. It doesn't take into account three lost fumbles, one of which was returned 90+ yards. It almost cost the Eagles the game, and at that point, their shot at the playoffs.

SpiritCymbal
October 5th, 2011, 07:11 PM
On paper the UTC/GSU game should come down to the last drive. I'm usually pretty conservative with my predictions but for some reason I'm buying into the GSU hype this week. I'm calling a GSU win 54-23 with most of UTC's points coming in during garbage time in the 4th. Again, I have absolutely nothing to back this up on other than I feel very strongly that even though this is by far the toughest test our team has faced so far this year, they hungry and focused and want to do damage on the scoreboard to make up for last year's loss.

FurmanWins!!
October 5th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Time for Furman to make a strong statement against a solid Samford team this Saturday before we enter the heart of our schedule, if we can win this one, we show the league that we are capable of doing big things this season.
Can't wait for Saturday, Go Paladins, Beat Samford!!!!!!

blueballs
October 5th, 2011, 08:02 PM
On paper the UTC/GSU game should come down to the last drive. I'm usually pretty conservative with my predictions but for some reason I'm buying into the GSU hype this week. I'm calling a GSU win 54-23 with most of UTC's points coming in during garbage time in the 4th. Again, I have absolutely nothing to back this up on other than I feel very strongly that even though this is by far the toughest test our team has faced so far this year, they hungry and focused and want to do damage on the scoreboard to make up for last year's loss.

You coming to any games this year???

FurmanWins!!
October 6th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Any GSU and Furman fans, or SoCon fans for that matter who are interested in voting for the GSU vs. FU game on Oct. 15 as the AGS game of the week please go to the topic at the top of the forum and cast your vote, The poll will close on 10-10-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Cheers all!

ElonPride
October 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM
He did not. Broke a bone in his hand some time last week. We're hoping he (Jerrick Mckinnon by name) will be back soon, as he is possibly our most dangerous offensive weapon. Besides being our #2 QB he has lined up at both slot and wide receiver this year.

Ah, gotcha. So you're telling me the score should have been more like 52-14.... :)

FurmanWins!!
October 6th, 2011, 08:55 AM
SoCon Football Game Day: Week 6

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205251562&DB_OEM_ID=4000

elon77
October 6th, 2011, 09:12 AM
For all those who think Elon will score in the 30's, thank you, but I don't think so. They might have 500+ yards, but will shoot themselves in the foot and either turn the ball over in the red zone or stall and miss a field goal. Just my opinion, they can move the ball, but can't score. I hope I'm wrong but we will see come Saturday.

ElonPride
October 6th, 2011, 09:27 AM
For all those who think Elon will score in the 30's, thank you, but I don't think so. They might have 500+ yards, but will shoot themselves in the foot and either turn the ball over in the red zone or stall and miss a field goal. Just my opinion, they can move the ball, but can't score. I hope I'm wrong but we will see come Saturday.

+1

Eaglesrus
October 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Ah, gotcha. So you're telling me the score should have been more like 52-14.... :)

I wouldn't predict that, even in retrospect, but he did average scoring 2 TDs per game in our first three games.:D We therefore need him back ASAP!!

Apphole
October 6th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Good to see negative Nancyism among other fan bases for a change.

TwoFeathers
October 6th, 2011, 12:52 PM

Did fumbles cost Ga Southern a trip to Frisco last year? I recall at least 2 costly fumbles versus Delaware. But that was also one of the best defenses in FCS (Delaware). So probably a bigger issue versus good teams, if that's not obvious already.

Eagle22
October 6th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Did fumbles cost Ga Southern a trip to Frisco last year? I recall at least 2 costly fumbles versus Delaware. But that was also one of the best defenses in FCS (Delaware). So probably a bigger issue versus good teams, if that's not obvious already.

It certainly didn't help. UD had an impressive team. Only fumble in that game that I perceived to be self-induced was the one we lost on the 1 yard line. Had we punched that in for a score, who knows how the game turns out. We definitely didn't play our best game that day, and UD's play on defense had a lot to do with that.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2011, 01:03 PM

I'm not conviced they are all of the "forced" variety. As I said earlier, GSU leads the conference in fumbles, but exactly zero have resulted in turnovers.

straightshooter
October 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM
The fumbles certainly hurt, but what hurt more was GSU's inability to consistently block the safety charged with run support. That guy played the game of his life and was a disruptive force in GSU getting the ball pitched on the corner. I heard one GSU coach comment after the game that if they could have consistently blocked that guy, GSU would have run for 500 yards. I can assure you that those issues have been addressed in the GSU camp.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2011, 02:37 PM
The fumbles certainly hurt, but what hurt more was GSU's inability to consistently block the safety charged with run support. That guy played the game of his life and was a disruptive force in GSU getting the ball pitched on the corner. I heard one GSU coach comment after the game that if they could have consistently blocked that guy, GSU would have run for 500 yards. I can assure you that those issues have been addressed in the GSU camp.

People think the option is all about the running backs and quarterback. Personally, I think the biggest keys to the success of the offense is the play of the receivers and non-carrying running backs. If you can't block the other team's defensive backs (or at least get in their way), that offense will have a long afternoon. Watch any option team. Every big run on the outside is set up by a good block from a receiver.

BornFootball
October 7th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Any GSU and Furman fans, or SoCon fans for that matter who are interested in voting for the GSU vs. FU game on Oct. 15 as the AGS game of the week please go to the topic at the top of the forum and cast your vote, The poll will close on 10-10-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Cheers all!

Agree, this is going to be a good one.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Agree, this is going to be a good one.

Here's hoping both the Paladins and Eagles take care of business on Saturday. Gives Furman a chance to repay Georgia Southern for 2005.

gsueagle2424
October 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Here's hoping both the Paladins and Eagles take care of business on Saturday. Gives Furman a chance to repay Georgia Southern for 2005.

I hate Furman....We always seem to screw up each others seasons. More on that next week. Right now focus on Chatty. I think The Eagle D line will be to much for the young Chatty O line and Man Bear Pig has his best game to date.
Eagles 31 Chatty 20