PDA

View Full Version : More publicity for Gocong

grizband
April 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM
Here is an article from cbssportsline.com
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9388328

He is described as a poor man's David Pollack, and comments that the best college competition he faced was EWU's Michael Roos, who now starts for the Titans. It seems like alot of people see Gocong moving up the draft boards next week.

Retro
April 24th, 2006, 03:15 PM
They're interviewing him on ESPNEWS right now! 3:15 pm cst.

Stang Fever
April 24th, 2006, 05:15 PM
The interviewed him today???? as of 4-24-06

Proud Griz Man
April 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/draft/2006/04/28/hidden.gems/1.html

Chris Gocong, DE-OLB, Cal Poly: Another explosive defender who plays with a nonstop motor, Gocong is an undersized end who will move to outside linebacker in the NFL. His skills and speed make him perfectly suited to line up over tackle in a 3-4 alignment. He should also excel on special teams.

Mr. C
April 28th, 2006, 05:23 PM
In the same article, SI lists Yale QB Jeff Mroz as a prospect. Mroz was not one of the top QBs in I-AA last fall and played only one year as a starter, yet because of his text book size, he is considered an NFL project. He didn't strike me as anything special, particularly when compared to guys like Erik Meyer, Ingle Martin, Barrick Nealy, Richie Williams, Bruce Eugene, Tarvaris Jackson etc. This guy never would have seen the playing field if he had been competing with any of these guys. It just goes to show you that a lot of players get overlooked because they are not the right size, or speed etc. I remember App State had this 350-pound lineman named Kevin Farkas when I started covering them. He couldn't cut in at Libery, transfered to ASU and didn't start until he was a senior. He was one of the original players signed by the Carolina Panthers, played in NFL Europe, got cut by the Panthers and had looks from the Saints and the Broncos, all because he was 350 pounds. But Farkas couldn't play. He had lousy feet and was slow. Yet he kept getting looks from teams.

Tod
April 28th, 2006, 06:03 PM
In the same article, SI lists Yale QB Jeff Mroz as a prospect. Mroz was not one of the top QBs in I-AA last fall and played only one year as a starter, yet because of his text book size, he is considered an NFL project. He didn't strike me as anything special, particularly when compared to guys like Erik Meyer, Ingle Martin, Barrick Nealy, Richie Williams, Bruce Eugene, Tarvaris Jackson etc. This guy never would have seen the playing field if he had been competing with any of these guys. It just goes to show you that a lot of players get overlooked because they are not the right size, or speed etc. I remember App State had this 350-pound lineman named Kevin Farkas when I started covering them. He couldn't cut in at Libery, transfered to ASU and didn't start until he was a senior. He was one of the original players signed by the Carolina Panthers, played in NFL Europe, got cut by the Panthers and had looks from the Saints and the Broncos, all because he was 350 pounds. But Farkas couldn't play. He had lousy feet and was slow. Yet he kept getting looks from teams.

Very good point, Mr. C, but...ahem...you can't mention the I-AA QB class of 2005 and not mention Lulay. :nono:

:D :D :D :D :D

But seriously, I think that's exactly why Dave Dickenson never got a shot. You'd think that they may actually look at smaller guys after the lessons learned from Flutie, but noooooo...

:read: :read: :read:

:twocents: