PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com Analysis on Chris Gocong

Stang Fever
April 20th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I dont know if its me........but this doesnt make to much sense.......Given the fact that he lead I-AA in sacks two years straight

I would love for this guy to show me one guy....just one guy who has better numbers on the field

Here is what he wrote:

SUMMARY
Gocong was a frustrating player to grade, because despite his athleticism and flashes of production, he was not a consistent impact player at Cal Poly State. He is definitely a good enough athlete, but he lacks the explosive burst off the ball to be a dangerous edge rusher. Once he gets moving, he shows quickness and can burst underneath the offensive tackle to beat him through the tackle-guard gap, and he has an explosive burst to the quarterback to sack the quarterback. He has the quickness and agility to avoid blockers in space, and he has the playing speed to chase down ball carriers in backside pursuit. He is a smart player, who does not get fooled by mis-direction plays and sniffs out screen passes very well -- and he has the quickness to get outside to break up the pass. He looks much more like a linebacker than a defensive end on film -- he lacks the bulk and strength teams want, and he can be torqued and tossed off his feet way too often at this lower level of football. Overall, teams should be hesitant to draft Gocong before the seventh round, because he is somewhat of a "tweener" and was not a dominant player at a lower level of football. However, he can make it in the NFL as a backup defensive end who contributes in all areas of the game. He would be best-suited to go to a team that plays a 3-4 defense where he could line up as a rush-linebacker -- He could eventually challenge for a starting job if he played in a 3-4 defense. His toughness, competitiveness and athleticism will make him a very good special teams player from Day 1.

STRONG POINTS
Gocong is a good athlete with the quick feet and agility to beat the tackle with a quick spin move back to the inside. He has a good burst off the block and an explosive closing burst to the quarterback -- he does a very good job of running through hits, which helps him make hard hits on the quarterback consistently. He does not hesitate to deliver hard hit to the quarterback right after the ball is thrown. He has experience rushing the passer from a three-point defensive end alignment and from a two-point linebacker stance. He does a good job of maintaining backside contain on plays away from him, and he can disrupt the pass when a quarterback rolls back to the backside that he is protecting. He does a good job of flattening out and chasing down running backs on runs away from him.

WEAKNESSES
Despite weighing in at 264 pounds at the Combine, he looks smaller on film and plays smaller on the field. He can be driven off the ball and out of the play by offensive line run blocks at him, and he struggles to consistently get pressure when he bull rushes. Once an offensive tackle gets ahold of him, he cannot shed and get free consistently, and has been torqued and tossed off his feet onto the ground way too easily. Despite being a good athlete with very quick feet, he is not an explosive off-the-ball pass rusher, and he will not be able to beat the offensive tackle around the corner consistently in the NFL. He lacks a real variety of pass rush moves.

blur2005
April 20th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I dont know if its me........but this doesnt make to much sense.......Given the fact that he lead I-AA in sacks two years straight

I would love for this guy to show me one guy....just one guy who has better numbers on the field

Here is what he wrote:

SUMMARY
Gocong was a frustrating player to grade, because despite his athleticism and flashes of production, he was not a consistent impact player at Cal Poly State. He is definitely a good enough athlete, but he lacks the explosive burst off the ball to be a dangerous edge rusher. Once he gets moving, he shows quickness and can burst underneath the offensive tackle to beat him through the tackle-guard gap, and he has an explosive burst to the quarterback to sack the quarterback. He has the quickness and agility to avoid blockers in space, and he has the playing speed to chase down ball carriers in backside pursuit. He is a smart player, who does not get fooled by mis-direction plays and sniffs out screen passes very well -- and he has the quickness to get outside to break up the pass. He looks much more like a linebacker than a defensive end on film -- he lacks the bulk and strength teams want, and he can be torqued and tossed off his feet way too often at this lower level of football. Overall, teams should be hesitant to draft Gocong before the seventh round, because he is somewhat of a "tweener" and was not a dominant player at a lower level of football. However, he can make it in the NFL as a backup defensive end who contributes in all areas of the game. He would be best-suited to go to a team that plays a 3-4 defense where he could line up as a rush-linebacker -- He could eventually challenge for a starting job if he played in a 3-4 defense. His toughness, competitiveness and athleticism will make him a very good special teams player from Day 1.

STRONG POINTS
Gocong is a good athlete with the quick feet and agility to beat the tackle with a quick spin move back to the inside. He has a good burst off the block and an explosive closing burst to the quarterback -- he does a very good job of running through hits, which helps him make hard hits on the quarterback consistently. He does not hesitate to deliver hard hit to the quarterback right after the ball is thrown. He has experience rushing the passer from a three-point defensive end alignment and from a two-point linebacker stance. He does a good job of maintaining backside contain on plays away from him, and he can disrupt the pass when a quarterback rolls back to the backside that he is protecting. He does a good job of flattening out and chasing down running backs on runs away from him.

WEAKNESSES
Despite weighing in at 264 pounds at the Combine, he looks smaller on film and plays smaller on the field. He can be driven off the ball and out of the play by offensive line run blocks at him, and he struggles to consistently get pressure when he bull rushes. Once an offensive tackle gets ahold of him, he cannot shed and get free consistently, and has been torqued and tossed off his feet onto the ground way too easily. Despite being a good athlete with very quick feet, he is not an explosive off-the-ball pass rusher, and he will not be able to beat the offensive tackle around the corner consistently in the NFL. He lacks a real variety of pass rush moves.
On ESPN, Mel Kiper, Jr. was singing Gocong's praises, saying he'd be a third rounder.

slostang
April 20th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Mel Kiper, Jr. has him projected to go in the third round to the Patriots with the 75th pick. He says there is a chance he may go in the second round to either the Patriots or the 49ers. I would tend to side more with Kiper on this one.

Stang Fever
April 21st, 2006, 01:06 AM
Mel Kiper, Jr. has him projected to go in the third round to the Patriots with the 75th pick. He says there is a chance he may go in the second round to either the Patriots or the 49ers. I would tend to side more with Kiper on this one.

No me too...im just saying it seems like this guy didnt really pay attention to chris on tape...cause he says he wasnt dominate and thinbgs like that...sounds like a bunch of crap to me....put his stats up....next to someone he thinks is dominate and i bet you chris stats are better....i would bet anything i have that this would be true

Proud Griz Man
April 21st, 2006, 09:33 AM
Gocong looked strong/talented to me. In game 1 against Montana there was a better blocking scheme to limit Gocong's plays, but in game 2 the Cal Poly coaches moved Gocong around to set him free. Like ISU's Jared Allen, Gocong will have to prove himself but will succeed.

putter
April 21st, 2006, 09:43 AM
I agree with PGM. They said the same thing about Jerod Allen and playing at a "lower level" and he is just lighting up the NFL. He is now starting at D-End and long snapper. A lot of these people pay no attention to kids if they did not play I-A. :rolleyes:

Jacks99
April 21st, 2006, 09:50 AM
From the game in Brookings, he had two men on him, so he had an indirect impact, but still a big one.

Mr. C
April 21st, 2006, 04:02 PM
Obviously, the guy who made this evaluation didn't have a clue. I guess being considered the top defensive player in I-AA is not having an impact. Even in Gocong's game against Troy State (yes, a I-A school), he was a force. If this guy were actually in a position to evaluate players for real, he would be out of a job REAL fast.