PDA

View Full Version : Shannon James Interview

Lukin
April 16th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I have done about 30 prospect interviews over the last couple months. I am posting all of the 1-AA players interviewed here for your viewing pleasure and to generate some discussion.

FF LiveWire Exclusive Interview w/ Shannon James
Luke Nicholson
3/15/2006

Safety/cornerback Shannon James took the time to sit down with ffLiveWire's Luke Nicholson to answer questions about his career at Massachusetts, as well as his preperations for his Pro Day and the NFL. Here's what he had to say...

Luke Nicholson: Who is your biggest role model? Why?

Shannon James: My mom is my biggest role model... She showed me the true meaning of hard work... And she's always been there for me no matter what the situation was...

Luke Nicholson: What current NFL player does your game most resemble?

Shannon James: I would have to say Ed Reed... Because he can do it all... He picks off passes and makes plays in the run game... So I'm something like him...

Luke Nicholson: What was your typical day during football season at Massachusetts?

Shannon James: Usually I get up and go to class... Eat something... Lift... Go back to my apartment and lay down for a lil while and then go to practice... Then I come home watch some tv and go to bed....

Luke Nicholson: What training are you doing in preparation for your Pro Day and the NFL Draft?

Shannon James: I worked out and velocity sports in parsippany, NJ with Craig Stoddard... We worked on speed and explosion... And the drills that we would be doing at pro day...

Luke Nicholson: You played runningback in high school. Would you welcome the chance to get reps at runningback in the NFL?

Shannon James: No... I don't even like offense anymore... I enjoy playin defense and making plays on the defensive side of the ball...

Luke Nicholson: People always talk about how basketball has helped tight ends such as Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates to be better players. How has your baseball and basketball background helped you to become a better player?

Shannon James: Playing 3 sports in high school just made me a better athlete in general... Because all three sports improve different aspects of my athletic ability... Baseball improve my hand eye coordination when catchin interceptions... And basketball improved my footwork and foot speed when playing football...

Luke Nicholson: You played both cornerback and free safety at Massachusetts. Do you prefer one position over the other? Are NFL scouts looking at you as primarily one or the other?

Shannon James: I prefer to play safety... I feel I can make more plays and get to both sides of the field... I am a natrual safety with corner ability... I've heard that some scouts said safety... And some say corner...

Luke Nicholson: Who is the best player you have faced during your career?

Shannon James: the best player I faced was Phillip Rivers my redshirt freshman yr. He put everything almost on the money and had great poise...

Luke Nicholson: Have you ever played fantasy football? Do any of your teammates at Massachusetts play?

Shannon James: I have never played... But I do have a couple of teammates who play...

Luke Nicholson: Which NFL teams have you talked with? Is there a specific team you hope to play for?

Shannon James: My agent has talked to a few... I specifically talked to baltimore and indianapolis... There isn't a specific team I would hope to play for...

Luke Nicholson: What one thing do you have to work on the most in order to excel at the NFL level?

Shannon James: One thing I have to work on is playin the middle of the field a little bit better... I got away with being a little lazy at the 1AA level... But that won't fly in the NFL...

Luke Nicholson: Thank you for your time, Shannon. Best of luck to you at your Pro Day, in the draft, and in the NFL.

link (http://www.fflivewire.com/article.asp?id=ysl9588kqx5489w)