PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Southern Conference Power Rankings and Predictions - Week 4.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 18th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I went 3-0 last week, boosting my overall record to 18-1. Elon almost laid an egg against N. C. Central and Savannah State's efforts were surprisingly good. The UTC-EKU was what I thought it would be. This week's rankings:

1) Georgia Southern - resting up for this week's matchup vs. WCU
2) Chattanooga - gets a clean sweep vs. the OVC
3) Wofford - Like GSU, taking a break for this week's matchup
4) Appalachian State - the easy part is now over
5) Furman - took a break ahead of their matchup
6) The Citadel - resting
7) Elon - fought off a determined NCCU team
8) Western Carolina - resting
9) Samford - resting

Predictions
No brainers
Presbyterian @ Furman
Samford @ Wofford
Western Carolina @ Georgia Southern

Not so no-brainer
The Citadel @ Elon - Elon plays this week like they did vs NCCU, they're in trouble.

Game of the week
Chattanooga @ Appalachian State - Mountaineers have what it takes to win this one at the Rock.

Reign of Terrier
September 18th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I think if Chattanooga finishes 4th in the socon now, they'll make the playoffs at 7-4 (5-3). GSU or Wofford has to win more than 5 games to meet the 7 D1 required (or rather strongly suggested) wins, and I think they will, or at least Wofford.

Wofford will not blow out Sammy. I think it will be in the neighborhood of 28-17
I think Presby gives Furman a fight and scores on them. Presby in the upset
GSU over Western, but this could be a high scoring affair
The Citadel over Elon, but I could see it going the other way
I think Chatty will win at App but playing the game at Boone will be a significant. I wouldn't be surprised if App won it

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I think if Chattanooga finishes 4th in the socon now, they'll make the playoffs at 7-4 (5-3). GSU or Wofford has to win more than 5 games to meet the 7 D1 required (or rather strongly suggested) wins, and I think they will, or at least Wofford.

Wofford will not blow out Sammy. I think it will be in the neighborhood of 28-17
I think Presby gives Furman a fight and scores on them. Presby in the upset
GSU over Western, but this could be a high scoring affair
The Citadel over Elon, but I could see it going the other way
I think Chatty will win at App but playing the game at Boone will be a significant. I wouldn't be surprised if App won it

PC may give Furman a fight, but after two cross country trips and a shelacking by Cal, the idea that they would travel to Greenville (where they never play well) and beat a rested Furman team would suprise me.

Reign of Terrier
September 18th, 2011, 03:53 PM
PC may give Furman a fight, but after two cross country trips and a shelacking by Cal, the idea that they would travel to Greenville (where they never play well) and beat a rested Furman team would suprise me.
They have a decent offense, and Furman's offense has struggled so far, calling a lot run plays, playing close to the vest with play-calling, etc. I think Presby has it in them to score at least 17 to 21 on Furman (at least) so I think it will be a good game. They won't be intimidated either, but at the same time they won't have the refs to keep it even after they're down 20 points

GSU_Alum08
September 18th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I went 3-0 last week, boosting my overall record to 18-1. Elon almost laid an egg against N. C. Central and Savannah State's efforts were surprisingly good. The UTC-EKU was what I thought it would be. This week's rankings:

6) The Citadel - resting
9) Samford - resting

Predictions
No brainers
Presbyterian @ Furman
Samford @ Wofford

Not so no-brainer
The Citadel @ Elon - Elon plays this week like they did vs NCCU, they're in trouble.

Game of the week
Chattanooga @ Appalachian State - Mountaineers have what it takes to win this one at the Rock.

I agree with all of those picks. Chatty has a good team, but I just don't see them beating appy in boone. if the game was in TN, then I would probably pick them. I see GSU being a high scoring affair, without WCU scoring that much. I like having our bye week when we did. Hopefully we got all the rust kicked off and are ready to come out firing on D. 20+ point win for GSU.

Milktruck74
September 18th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Presbyterian @ Furman - 17-14. The Purple pull out early and hold on late.
Samford @ Wofford - 35-17. EB takes over and scores 3 TDs
Western Carolina @ Georgia Southern 41-28. The Cats give all they have, but come up short
The Citadel @ Elon - 34-21. THe Phoenix right the ship and go back to what they do best....score
Chattanooga @ Appalachian State -31-28. I went with my head on the other thread, my heart won out this time. BJ Gets it done at the Rock.

Reign of Terrier
September 18th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I actually think that this year will show EB with less yardage. Think 100 yard games as opposed to 200. Our offense is making an effort to spread the field now that we have like 4 or 5 other RBs that can do the job in some way or another.

Smitty
September 18th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Presbyterian @ Furman - 24-14.
Samford @ Wofford - 30-14.
Western Carolina @ Georgia Southern 54-36. WCU score more than thought but defense cannot stop GSU
The Citadel @ Elon - 17-7.
Chattanooga @ Appalachian State -28-14. Just because I care

Milktruck74
September 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I actually think that this year will show EB with less yardage. Think 100 yard games as opposed to 200. Our offense is making an effort to spread the field now that we have like 4 or 5 other RBs that can do the job in some way or another.

I think this is going similar to Joel Bradford at Chatty. People know who he is now and key on him....EB isn't sneaking up on anybody. But that opens the door for others.

WCU LawCat
September 18th, 2011, 08:14 PM
GSU beats Western 63-62.

Reign of Terrier
September 18th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I think this is going similar to Joel Bradford at Chatty. People know who he is now and key on him....EB isn't sneaking up on anybody. But that opens the door for others.

Well see the thing was last year is that our offense was pretty predictable. It was EB, EB, EB, Mitch Allen, EB, maybe a pitch, EB, EB, EB, etc. He had so many yards because we gave it to him 20 times a game while we didn't diversify where we put the ball which is ultimately the key in an option offense. The App game exposed this and the coaches and Mitch Allen learned from their mistakes and dedicated the next few games to diversifying the offense and it worked. We beat the crap out of chatty the next week. The last 2 games we've average 466 yards. EB has only 160 yards rushing or so in the first 2 games but we've had 2 different players rush for 90 yards as well. I think the offense has tremendous potential this year.

On a side note, I think it's cool that folks are now referring to Breitenstein as EB. They did the same with the initials with Armanti Edwards and Adrian Peterson. They probably abbreviate because of the spelling but there's seemingly a comparison in that EB could be considered an elite player going into his 3rd year of playing

UCMoc
September 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
On a side note, I think it's cool that folks are now referring to Breitenstein as EB. They did the same with the initials with Armanti Edwards and Adrian Peterson. They probably abbreviate because of the spelling but there's seemingly a comparison in that EB could be considered an elite player going into his 3rd year of playing

That's a possibility.

Also a possibility, none of us can spell his last name.

Reign of Terrier
September 18th, 2011, 08:45 PM
That's a possibility.

Also a possibility, none of us can spell his last name.

I believe that's it in all honesty....

GSU_Alum08
September 18th, 2011, 08:59 PM
GSU beats Western 63-62.

I hope you are joking about that score....

CropDuster
September 18th, 2011, 09:40 PM
WCU didn't score a point against us last year. I know their offense is improved but I can't see their offense scoring more than 3 TDs on us.

GunsAndGuitars
September 18th, 2011, 11:10 PM
WCU didn't score a point against us last year. I know their offense is improved but I can't see their offense scoring more than 3 TDs on us.

At least it wasn't a "WCU is the best team in FCS, period, and will roll everybody." (Could you imagine how fun it would have to have two of them?) I guess we'll see how many they score, but I don't see them stopping GSU more than once or twice all game, and those may just be a slow down more than a stop. It'll be ugly either way I think.

seantaylor
September 18th, 2011, 11:49 PM
WCU won't crack double digits on GSU's starters.

OL FU
September 19th, 2011, 05:46 AM

You have to remember YT doesn't like Furman very much:)

OL FU
September 19th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Presbyterian @ Furman
Samford @ Wofford
The Citadel @ Elon

Game of the week - I agree game of the week.
Chattanooga @ Appalachian State If I went with hunches, I would pick the other direction.

Smitty
September 19th, 2011, 05:56 AM
WCU won't crack double digits on GSU's starters.

Just like we weren't suppose to crack double digits points against GT starters

eaglewraith
September 19th, 2011, 06:28 AM

But 63 points?

Come on let's get serious. We've even spotted ya'll 31 points in the past and you STILL couldn't win.

GaSouthern
September 19th, 2011, 06:33 AM

6) The Citadel - resting
9) Samford - resting

Predictions
No brainers
Presbyterian @ Furman
Samford @ Wofford

Not so no-brainer

Game of the week

I completely agree with your picks but I think your power rankings are off...

2) Appalachian State - the easy part is now over
4) Chattanooga - gets a clean sweep vs. the OVC
6) The Citadel - resting
7) Samford - resting
9) Elon - fought off a determined NCCU team

The Cats
September 19th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Presbyterian @ Furman
Samford @ Wofford
Western Carolina @ Georgia Southern (upset alert)
The Citadel @ Elon
Chattanooga @ Appalachian State (Go Mocs)

GaSouthern
September 19th, 2011, 06:35 AM

While that was impressive, GT has one of the worst D's in the ACC
(Kansas sucks, thats all i'll say about that game)

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2011, 06:52 AM
You have to remember YT doesn't like Furman very much:)

I forgot about that one-way rivalry thing.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2011, 06:54 AM
They have a decent offense, and Furman's offense has struggled so far, calling a lot run plays, playing close to the vest with play-calling, etc. I think Presby has it in them to score at least 17 to 21 on Furman (at least) so I think it will be a good game. They won't be intimidated either, but at the same time they won't have the refs to keep it even after they're down 20 points

It is possible. Furman has a long tradition of playing early season games close to the vest, particularly against teams they can out muscle (like the Citadel). I imagine you'll see the Paladins run powers and traps until Presby proves they can stop it.

OL FU
September 19th, 2011, 06:59 AM
It is possible. Furman has a long tradition of playing early season games close to the vest, particularly against teams they can out muscle (like the Citadel). I imagine you'll see the Paladins run powers and traps until Presby proves they can stop it.

I was thinking we might actually open it up a little bit. As someone on the uffp mentioned people forget that Forcier, until the Citadel game, had not played an entire game of football since he was a senior in high school. Assuming the game goes in the direction we think it should, it would be a good time for Furman to let him throw some to get some confidence. But we may just run it like we did against the Citadel.

On PC, they played WC well after WC players thought hte game was in hand. I have a feeling that WC was looking to Clemson as much as Clemson was looking to Auburn. PC then struggled against North Greenville. anything is possible and if we were playing in Clinton I would be more worried. But we are not. It will be very disappointing if we don't win this one by a few touchdowns. As mediocre as we have been the last few seasons, we still won these games by fairly good margins.

Smitty
September 19th, 2011, 07:12 AM
While that was impressive, GT has one of the worst D's in the ACC
(Kansas sucks, thats all i'll say about that game)

Yes and while I am saying Georgia Southern is going to win and probably win by atleast 2 TDs, saying that we won't put up more than 9 points against Georgia Southern starters is a little far fetched. Of course I could be completely wrong but from our first two games its been about bad defense, not offense.

chattownmocs
September 19th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Georgia Southern and App State have looked equally weak. Not sure why you have knocked ASU down to 4, but continue to leave Georgia Southern 1.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I was thinking we might actually open it up a little bit. As someone on the uffp mentioned people forget that Forcier, until the Citadel game, had not played an entire game of football since he was a senior in high school. Assuming the game goes in the direction we think it should, it would be a good time for Furman to let him throw some to get some confidence. But we may just run it like we did against the Citadel.

On PC, they played WC well after WC players thought hte game was in hand. I have a feeling that WC was looking to Clemson as much as Clemson was looking to Auburn. PC then struggled against North Greenville. anything is possible and if we were playing in Clinton I would be more worried. But we are not. It will be very disappointing if we don't win this one by a few touchdowns. As mediocre as we have been the last few seasons, we still won these games by fairly good margins.

That's precisely the way I see it. I think people make too much of PC/Wofford and Wofford/Clemson. Sure, closer than you would have thought, but I chalk a lot of that up to just simply not paying enough attention to your opponent.

Besides, PC had all summer to prepare for Wofford. That is a big game in state against a marquee FCS school at home. You put a lot of eggs in that basket.

WCU LawCat
September 19th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Wow I post for the 1st time in a very long long time and everybody takes me completely serious lol. Seriously here is my take on WCU and GSU.

GSU scores 31 first half points. WCU scores 21 first half points. WCU scores 1st in the 2nd half and then stops GSU on their first series to make the score 31-28 and really interesting...In the 4th Quarter GSU scores 10 more points and WCU turns the ball over twice. Final Score 41-28.

Western Carolina has offensive weapons in multiple areas this season but I think GSU will get a few easy scores against a young Western secondary.

GaSouthern
September 19th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Wow I post for the 1st time in a very long long time and everybody takes me completely serious lol. Seriously here is my take on WCU and GSU.

GSU scores 31 first half points. WCU scores 21 first half points. WCU scores 1st in the 2nd half and then stops GSU on their first series to make the score 31-28 and really interesting...In the 4th Quarter GSU scores 10 more points and WCU turns the ball over twice. Final Score 41-28.

Western Carolina has offensive weapons in multiple areas this season but I think GSU will get a few easy scores against a young Western secondary.

I could completely see this happening.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM

6) The Citadel - resting
7) Samford - resting

Had Elon lost, what you said.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 19th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Georgia Southern and App State have looked equally weak. Not sure why you have knocked ASU down to 4, but continue to leave Georgia Southern 1.

Performance to this point. Georgia Southern is undefeated (if memory serves, the only one left). Chattanooga performed admirably vs. Nebraska and swept the two OVC teams. Wofford played surprisingly well against Clemson. Appalachian State went off to a bad start but recovered very well against two bottom feeder teams.

I think if Chattanooga wins the games I project them to except for Wofford, I see them in the playoffs.

FurmanWins!!
September 19th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Furman University "White Out" 9/24/11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q2MULQ7tx8

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Furman White-Out.

Because nothing screams like Furman higher learning like a crudely themed Batman promo! ;)

chattownmocs
September 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Performance to this point. Georgia Southern is undefeated (if memory serves, the only one left). Chattanooga performed admirably vs. Nebraska and swept the two OVC teams. Wofford played surprisingly well against Clemson. Appalachian State went off to a bad start but recovered very well against two bottom feeder teams.

I think if Chattanooga wins the games I project them to except for Wofford, I see them in the playoffs.

Has Georgia Southern performed well? I understand they have a 0 in the loss column but Id say Chattanooga has performed better to this point.

Smitty
September 20th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Has Georgia Southern performed well? I understand they have a 0 in the loss column but Id say Chattanooga has performed better to this point.

Probably they won against Samford 31-17 and Tusculum 62-21. I also say bye weeks count as a win as well...

chattownmocs
September 20th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Probably they won against Samford 31-17 and Tusculum 62-21. I also say bye weeks count as a win as well...

Do a little research. They werent good in either game.

eaglewraith
September 20th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Do a little research. They werent good in either game.

Evidence to back up your point?

chattownmocs
September 20th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Evidence to back up your point?

Tie game at half against Samford. Up just 7 until a FG to end the half against Tusculum.

appfan2008
September 20th, 2011, 08:10 AM
i will say that I think ASU will win this weekend... but I am truly scared of this game...

Smitty
September 20th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Tie game at half against Samford. Up just 7 until a FG to end the half against Tusculum.

Same thing could be said about Chattanooga... They were behind at the half against Jacksonville st. (17-16) and Eastern Kentucky (14-10). I won't use Nebraska since it is an FBS game.

Half the battle is wearing out the opposite team and finishing the game. This is why WCU can never hold on a large lead in the past few years, they couldn't close the game.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Same thing could be said about Chattanooga... They were behind at the half against Jacksonville st. (17-16) and Eastern Kentucky (14-10). I won't use Nebraska since it is an FBS game.

Half the battle is wearing out the opposite team and finishing the game. This is why WCU can never hold on a large lead in the past few years, they couldn't close the game.

Well, certainly it is axiomatic. The first half of a football is completely more imporant than the second half. Really, whoever is winning at half time is the de facto winner, and the rest of the game is just a scrimmage.

cannonballgsu
September 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM

Well, that's why there are two halves of football. Just ask App state about that. Sep 4, 2010.

ElonPride
September 20th, 2011, 08:57 AM

6) The Citadel - resting
7) Samford - resting

Pretty much agree with these here at the moment. While racking up a ton of offensive yardage, 5 TOs and a 1 point win kills.

FurmanWins!!
September 20th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Furman White-Out.

Because nothing screams like Furman higher learning like a crudely themed Batman promo! ;)

Good try mate, but that is the theme from Inception ;)

Anyways, this has turned into a really good event for FU football!

biggie
September 20th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Based on the "White out" from 2 years ago at Furman, it was a complete failure.

eaglewraith
September 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Don't be surprised to see Samford give you a tough game.

Tusculum was throwing it all over the place, so I liken that to a good warmup for Chatty. If so, I like our chances.

blueballs
September 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM

...and then outscored the two teams 62-14 combined in the second halves, with the 14 coming on an onside KO return and a garbage time TD against the subs.

The truth of the matter is that GSU is ranked #1 because of what they did in the last 7 games of last year and the first two games of this year with virtually the exact same personnel- which is more than Chattanooga has done in the history of the program.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Based on the "White out" from 2 years ago at Furman, it was a complete failure.

That was the first year it was even attempted.

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 10:47 AM
That was the first year it was even attempted.

I guess Purple Out isn't very intimidating.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I guess Purple Out isn't very intimidating.

Creative. Purple Out.

OL FU
September 20th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Creative. Purple Out.

I miss the FU til you're purple t-shirts:o

GATA
September 20th, 2011, 01:09 PM

So your evidence is that GSU won both games with relative ease despite the fact that the games were close at the half?

Good lord...they really are trash.

Eaglesrus
September 20th, 2011, 01:45 PM

Actually, we were ahead of Tusculum 21 - 0 in the second quarter, had a bad 10 minutes, Coach chewed the guys out during half time and we blew them away in the second half. However, if you want to look at the halftime score and think it was indicative of the whole first half that's certainly your perogative.

OL FU
September 20th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Actually, we were ahead of Tusculum 21 - 0 in the second quarter, had a bad 10 minutes, Coach chewed the guys out during half time and we blew them away in the second half. However, if you want to look at the halftime score and think it was indicative of the whole first half that's certainly your perogative.

Just admit it. You guys suck:D

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 02:11 PM
The Citadel has a win over Jacksonville. So much for the mightily hyped Josh McGregor and his less than 10 pt 'fins. Go watch DOLPHIN Tale.

seantaylor
September 20th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Wasn't Chatty losing to both Jacksonville and EKU at half? LOL

Terrierforlife
September 20th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Presbyterian @ Furman - 17-14. The Purple pull out early and hold on late.
Samford @ Wofford - 35-17. EB takes over and scores 3 TDs
Western Carolina @ Georgia Southern 41-28. The Cats give all they have, but come up short
The Citadel @ Elon - 34-21. THe Phoenix right the ship and go back to what they do best....score
Chattanooga @ Appalachian State -31-28. I went with my head on the other thread, my heart won out this time. BJ Gets it done at the Rock.

What he said. Great Picks!

CID1990
September 20th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I miss the FU til you're purple t-shirts:o

Pretty racy for a school that doesn't allow dancin'.

Is that why you guys frown on FU-ing while standing up?

apaladin
September 20th, 2011, 11:33 PM
http://www.furmanpaladins.com/splash/index

OL FU
September 21st, 2011, 06:19 AM
Pretty racy for a school that doesn't allow dancin'.

Is that why you guys frown on FU-ing while standing up?

You have been in Vietnam too long. Dancing came in when the FU cheer went outxsmhx

CID1990
September 21st, 2011, 09:45 PM
You have been in Vietnam too long. Dancing came in when the FU cheer went outxsmhx

Careful or you guys might fall out of favor with Jesus.

Worse yet, Amy Grant might stop sending donations.

GunsAndGuitars
September 21st, 2011, 10:56 PM

xlolxxrotatehxxlolx

OL FU
September 22nd, 2011, 05:59 AM

xlolx

Amy went to Vanderbilt:p

probably because Jesus doesn't like us anymore

CID1990
September 22nd, 2011, 10:54 AM
xlolx

Amy went to Vanderbilt:p

probably because Jesus doesn't like us anymore

I get all those weird religious chicks mixed up.

OL FU
September 22nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
I get all those weird religious chicks mixed up.

Honestly, she went to Furman. Hit the bigtime in Nashville and transferred to Vandy. but who is keeping track.

On the other Hand, I hear Mike McConnel is pumping the cash our way since he left public service

jayhawkdaddy
September 24th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Furman
Wofford
Georgia Southern
Elon
UT-Chattanooga

GATA
September 24th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Furman
Wofford
Georgia Southern
Elon
UT-Chattanooga

**** YOU!

GSU_Alum08
September 24th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Furman
Wofford
Georgia Southern
Elon
UT-Chattanooga

this has to be a joke

Eaglesrus
September 24th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Furman
Wofford
Georgia Southern
Elon
UT-Chattanooga

**** YOU!

this has to be a joke

Uh, guys, I'm thinking those were his picks as winners in the SoCon this week.