Total: 195-77 (69-43 SLC)

Southland Week Four Game Listing
Northwestern State at Nicholls State
Sam Houston State at New Mexico
Texas State-San Marcos at Stephen F. Austin
Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State
Central Arkansas at Arkansas State

TexasTerror's Quick Analysis and Game Selections

Wow - after having an easy time for the most part these last few weeks in making selections, we got a tough week! In fact, four of the five games on the docket this week will be tough to pick!

Northwestern State at Nicholls State - The Demons seem to always have their share of problems in Thibodaux. The problem we have with both teams at this point is they have played two FBS and one sub-Div I team with the Demons oh so close to being 0-3 with the slate. In a toss up, usually better to pick the home team. NICHOLLS STATE

Sam Houston State at New Mexico - A game with some very special meaning in the TexasTerror hosuehold. The Lobos are 0-3 and have been slammed in their last two games, losses at Arkansas and home to Texas Tech. Most years, picking SHSU over an FBS would be a tough chore, but I think if the Kats can develop the run, they'll develop the win. SAM HOUSTON STATE

Texas State-San Marcos at Stephen F. Austin - SFA is at home and you have a Bobcats team that is coming off a not so impressive 38-28 win over Tarleton State. Come on guys, you are quasi-FBS at this point! Lumberjacks will want to get off the schnide and the Bobcats, who have allowed nearly 300 yards of passing per game will be ripe. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State - The Mike Lucas farewell tour through the SLC begins in Lake Charles if he can't come through this season. McNeese is the team to beat in the league at this time since I do not want to put that on SHSU just yet and we'll see what SFA can do in the next few weeks. The Lions are where we thought they were and will just be angling for a split of these next two (Lamar enxt week). McNEESE STATE

Central Arkansas at Arkansas State - Central Arkansas was the talk of the town before letting two Bearkats run for over 100 yards in a game against them. A fight at La Tech may have taken the wind out of the sails and the fact the Bears have given up over 200 yards of rushing per game is troublesome. ARKANSAS STATE

El Gato
September 18th, 2011, 10:15 AM
TT's Predictions All-Time Results

Texas State-San Marcos at Stephen F. Austin - SFA is at home and you have a Bobcats team that is coming off a not so impressive 38-28 win over Tarleton State. Come on guys, you are quasi-FBS at this point! Lumberjacks will want to get off the schnide and the Bobcats, who have allowed nearly 300 yards of passing per game will be ripe. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Not to mention on offense lead by Shaun Rutherford which has thrown for a whopping 239 passing yards thus far this season. Coach Fran for some reason is all about Blinn transfer Shaun Rutherford who is averaging 2 turnovers a game and is no real threat to throw the ball since he can't ever seem to throw the ball in a receivers hand. Meanwhile we have Tyler Arndt who in one game lone last year threw for 348 yds and 4 TD's (all of which is more than the entire Bobcat offense has put up in 3 games this season) who turned down TCU & Tech so he could sit on the sideline and watch the offense sputter around on the field. I don't think he will many SLC games this season if we don't get the right QB out there to take control of the offense. I agree with your prediction, SFA will take this game.

crossfire07
September 18th, 2011, 12:24 PM

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Not to mention on offense lead by Shaun Rutherford which has thrown for a whopping 239 passing yards thus far this season. Coach Fran for some reason is all about Blinn transfer Shaun Rutherford who is averaging 2 turnovers a game and is no real threat to throw the ball since he can't ever seem to throw the ball in a receivers hand. Meanwhile we have Tyler Arndt who in one game lone last year threw for 348 yds and 4 TD's (all of which is more than the entire Bobcat offense has put up in 3 games this season) who turned down TCU & Tech so he could sit on the sideline and watch the offense sputter around on the field. I don't think he will many SLC games this season if we don't get the right QB out there to take control of the offense. I agree with your prediction, SFA will take this game.

Must be frustrating for the Bobcat fans... I presume Rutherford played under Brad at Blinn?

Still got to consider the teams that TXST had played prior to Tarleton State... what was the final attendance at Bobcat Stadium yesterday?

blackfordpu
September 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Northwestern State at Nicholls State - toss up, home field advantage here.
Sam Houston State at New Mexico - it hurts but I have to go with the FBS team here, more depth. Would like to be wrong.
Texas State-San Marcos at Stephen F. Austin - another home field advantage pick.
Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State - hard to win at McNeese, especially at night.
Central Arkansas at Arkansas State - FBS depth again.

TheRevSFA
September 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Sam Houston State at New Mexico - it hurts but I have to go with the FBS team here, more depth. Would like to be wrong.
Texas State-San Marcos at Stephen F. Austin - another home field advantage pick.
Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State - hard to win at McNeese, especially at night.

Agree..my basic assessment of the week..but I almost want to pick TSU-SM

blackfordpu
September 18th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Agree..my basic assessment of the week..but I almost want to pick TSU-SM

Well, I guess if it can rain in Houston, anything is possible. ;)

McNeese75
September 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Northwestern State at Nicholls State - This one is tough. I will go with the home field but the Demons could take this one
Sam Houston State at New Mexico - Great game last night by the Kats but I will go with the scholly difference and home field
Texas State-San Marcos at Stephen F. Austin - TSSM has not shown much this year and SFA has a lot of potential
Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State -Home field on this one for another nailbiting win I hope
Central Arkansas at Arkansas State - May be tough for the Bears to get back up this week.

jhanel
September 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Northwestern State at Nicholls State - Northwestern State gets offense on track
Sam Houston State at New Mexico - Great game by the Kats and should be a great win for the conference this weekend
Texas State-San Marcos at Stephen F. Austin - SFA gets the monkey, that is Texas State, off their back
Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State - It should be a great game!
Central Arkansas at Arkansas State - If Dick plays then I would lean UCA's side, but he probably wont, and this could get ugly.

blackfordpu
September 18th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Northwestern State at Nicholls State - Northwestern State gets offense on track
Sam Houston State at New Mexico - Great game by the Kats and should be a great win for the conference this weekend
Texas State-San Marcos at Stephen F. Austin - SFA gets the monkey, that is Texas State, off their back
Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State - It should be a great game!
Central Arkansas at Arkansas State - If Dick plays then I would lean UCA's side, but he probably wont, and this could get ugly.

UCA's backup played pretty well.

msusig
September 18th, 2011, 10:55 PM

Bacone College at UTSA

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2011, 06:56 AM
If it means much to anyone, the KatFans.com power rankings... BigRedInsider provides something similar... I voted for McNeese as #1. ;)

SHSU (5) 74
McNeese (3) 67
SFA (2) 64
UCA 50
Nicholls 34
Southeastern 29
Northwestern 29
Lamar 12

http://katfansblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/katfanscom-week-3-power-poll.html

YouCanUseaMint
September 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Must be frustrating for the Bobcat fans... I presume Rutherford played under Brad at Blinn?

Still got to consider the teams that TXST had played prior to Tarleton State... what was the final attendance at Bobcat Stadium yesterday?

YouCanUseaMint
September 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM

It's not that Fran is "all about" rutherford, it's that arndt can't run the ball and because we're a run heavy offense, that's just not going to work. Thank goodness we have a three star, true "dual threat" QB coming in.

FWIW, I'm choosing my bobcats to pull a W. We beat them last year at their place with Hawkins at QB... anything is possible.

katstrapper
September 19th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Northwestern State at Nicholls State-- Demons struggled against Delta St and got put down by SMU. I know NW St is better than that, but can they get a win on the road in Thibodeaux where it is always a struggle to play for any team. Nicholls St really seems to be improving under second year coach Stubbs.. This one is a toss up but I will go with Nicholls St.

Sam Houston State at New Mexico-- Kats have been dominating over two solid FCS programs in WIU and Central Arkansas. Kats defense is ranked #7 in FCS and #2 against the rush. Can they bring the same defensive intensity to New Mexico? As bad as the New Mexico program is under Locksley, I am still hesitant to pick the Kats, but I think with their ball control offense and tough defense, the Kats will pull this one out... Sam Houston St

Texas State-San Marcos at Stephen F. Austin.. I am still in amazement that TSU-SM rehired Franchione as head coach, who didnt set the world on fire when he was there the first time and the Bobkitties havent showed much promise to this point. SFA has a high powered offense that should get the win at home... Stephen F Austin

Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State.. Coach Lucas just cant get a handle on this team since last year and it very well could be his final year at SE La. "The Hole" is a tough place to play and this game shouldnt be any different.... McNeese St.

Central Arkansas at Arkansas State... C. Arkansas defense gave up 300+ yds on the ground last week. Now I dont think the Bears defense is THAT bad, but dont think Ark St wont expoit that again. Bears might be without Nathan Dick this week after suffering a concussion and if they are, could be a long night... Arkansas St.

jhanel
September 19th, 2011, 04:08 PM
As a Northwestern State guy, I am still amazed and shocked of how far we have fallen the past 5 or so years. I hope we rise soon! FORK'EM!

LIONFAN07
September 19th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Week 1: 6-2
Week 2: 6-0
Week 3: 7-1

Northwestern State at Nicholls State-Should be a good game but I like the Nicholls at home.
Sam Houston State at New Mexico-Wouldn't be surprised if the BearKats win but the extra scholarships will be a factor and New Mexico has to win.
Texas State-San Marcos at Stephen F. Austin-Bobcats get WACd
Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State-Well I think this one will come down to the end as they have the last two years. The Lions and Coach Lucas need this win bad. The Lions have played good football in the early part of the season and will have to play GREAT football to win in Cowboy Stadium. We will see.
Central Arkansas at Arkansas State-Would love to see the Bears win but I don't think they will win this one. Arkansas State is kinda like what USL and ULM are in Louisiana. No business being FBS. They need to be in the Southland.

Should be a great week of football.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM
As a Northwestern State guy, I am still amazed and shocked of how far we have fallen the past 5 or so years. I hope we rise soon! FORK'EM!

What do you think of the job that Stoker has done with the SHSU 'D'? Seems to have really done a great job historically as a coordinator more so than when he was head coach. Kudos to the guy!

jhanel
September 19th, 2011, 06:13 PM
He is doing what he has proven to do best, and that is being a great defensive coordinator. I have never understood why OC's and DC's who are great at what they do, always want to be the head guy. It spreads them thin to be the head guy, and most of them fail. Do what your good at. I wish he would have never been our head coach, but wish he would have been our DC. It is what he is best at. You guys got a great DC! Kick New Mexico's rear this weekend!!!

Dallas Demon
September 19th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Northwestern State at Nicholls State Demons need to prove me wrong
Sam Houston State at New Mexico FBS at home usually wins these
Texas State-San Marcos at Stephen F. Austin SFA is simply better
Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State Cowboys will not lose this one
Central Arkansas at Arkansas State Ark. St. beats Dickless UCA xnodx

GeauxLions94
September 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Northwestern State at Nicholls State - Another tough one for Northwestern State after games at LSU and SMU ... Thibodaux is not an easy place to play for any opponent and the Colonels are moving in the right direction under Charlie Stubbs ... good pick for the Southland TV Game of the Week ... Colonels claimed 37-7 win over Demons last season in Natchitoches, but look for closer contest between the in-state rivals ... the winner gets to be called NSU for the next year ... give the advantage to the home team ... NICHOLLS STATE

Sam Houston State at New Mexico - The Bearkats are playing well under second-year coach Willie Fritz, but play up against the "howl-but-no-bite" Lobos ... really could smell an upset here, but too many scholarships and playing a mile up will send the Bearkats to their first loss of the season ... NEW MEXICO

Texas State at Stephen F. Austin - Stephen F. Austin has been the juggernaut in the Southland Conference the past two seasons, but have not been able to get past the future WAC champions during that span ... SFA looks to get their offense back on track after two straight losses while Texas State looks to build off a solid win over DII Tarleton State ... this game could come down to final drive, and the ball-control Bobcats will be able to win in the end ... TEXAS STATE

Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State - The last two games in this series have been decided in the final minute, including a Derrick Fourroux to Richard Connor TD pass with 40 seconds left for a 36-35 McNeese win two years ago at the Hole ... last season, Josh Lewis banged a 52-yard field goal at the buzzer to give the Cowboys a 13-10 win in what some folks called one of the hardest hitting games in the Southland Conference in the past decade ... look for the hits to continue as these in-state rivals look to give the fans another quality show ... the heart pulls for the Lions, but gotta go with the Pokes, who look to make it six in a row over SLU since 2005 ... McNEESE STATE

Central Arkansas at Arkansas State - UCA looks to bounce back after a tough loss in Huntsville, but doesn't get any help as it travels to Jonesboro to play up against the FCS Red Wolves ... after averaging 437 yards of total offense in its first two games (Henderson State and Louisiana Tech), the Bears managed 271 against SHSU ... if QB Nathan Dick is out against A-State after suffering a concussion last week, it could be a long night for the Bears in their first meeting between their in-state rival since 1997 ... ARKANSAS STATE

Lamar - OPEN DATE

Bearkats94
September 19th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Due to NCAA limitations, the Lobos have not been able to recruit a full class for the last three years, making them in essence 14 scholarship players shy this season. UNM could only sign 20 in 2009 and 2010, and just 21 in 2011. That was the final year of the NCAA sanctions and Locks and company will be able to return to the normal allotment of 25 in February of 2012.

They don't have a full team.

GeauxLions94
September 20th, 2011, 01:31 AM
They don't have a full team.

Thanks for the note ... it still doesn't change my pick.

lionsrking2
September 20th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Northwestern State at Nicholls State - Another tough one for Northwestern State after games at LSU and SMU ... Thibodaux is not an easy place to play for any opponent and the Colonels are moving in the right direction under Charlie Stubbs ... good pick for the Southland TV Game of the Week ... Colonels claimed 37-7 win over Demons last season in Natchitoches, but look for closer contest between the in-state rivals ... the winner gets to be called NSU for the next year ... give the advantage to the home team ... NICHOLLS STATE

Sam Houston State at New Mexico - The Bearkats are playing well under second-year coach Willie Fritz, but play up against the "howl-but-no-bite" Lobos ... really could smell an upset here, but too many scholarships and playing a mile up will send the Bearkats to their first loss of the season ... NEW MEXICO

Texas State at Stephen F. Austin - Stephen F. Austin has been the juggernaut in the Southland Conference the past two seasons, but have not been able to get past the future WAC champions during that span ... SFA looks to get their offense back on track after two straight losses while Texas State looks to build off a solid win over DII Tarleton State ... this game could come down to final drive, and the ball-control Bobcats will be able to win in the end ... TEXAS STATE

Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State - The last two games in this series have been decided in the final minute, including a Derrick Fourroux to Richard Connor TD pass with 40 seconds left for a 36-35 McNeese win two years ago at the Hole ... last season, Josh Lewis banged a 52-yard field goal at the buzzer to give the Cowboys a 13-10 win in what some folks called one of the hardest hitting games in the Southland Conference in the past decade ... look for the hits to continue as these in-state rivals look to give the fans another quality show ... the heart pulls for the Lions, but gotta go with the Pokes, who look to make it six in a row over SLU since 2005 ... McNEESE STATE

Central Arkansas at Arkansas State - UCA looks to bounce back after a tough loss in Huntsville, but doesn't get any help as it travels to Jonesboro to play up against the FCS Red Wolves ... after averaging 437 yards of total offense in its first two games (Henderson State and Louisiana Tech), the Bears managed 271 against SHSU ... if QB Nathan Dick is out against A-State after suffering a concussion last week, it could be a long night for the Bears in their first meeting between their in-state rival since 1997 ... ARKANSAS STATE

Lamar - OPEN DATE

Oh ye of little faith! xsmhxxeyebrowx

GeauxLions94
September 20th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Oh ye of little faith! xsmhxxeyebrowx

Hey, I had to pick the Lobos ... 14 schollies less or not, that's still more than SHSU (and I think the Bearkats will get screwed by the MWC crew) :p

El Gato
September 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM

Very frustrating. There was actually a Tyler chant going a couple of times in the alumni section of the stadium and some boos after 3 straight 3 and out's by the offense including Rutherford getting stuffed at the LOS and over/under throwing open receivers. Bobcats have yet to throw for a passing TD and Rutherford's 109 yards passing against Tarleton with his single season high.

And yes Rutherford was the backup QB to Cam Newton at Blinn under Brad Franchione.

As to attendance, as mentioned by youcanuseamint it was 15,800, the 3rd highest attendance in Bobcat Stadium history and the largest crowd since 1982.

lionsrking2
September 21st, 2011, 10:39 PM
Hey, I had to pick the Lobos ... 14 schollies less or not, that's still more than SHSU (and I think the Bearkats will get screwed by the MWC crew) :p

Wrong game.

GeauxLions94
September 22nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
The Southland Conference has suspended SHSU's Mike Littleton one-game for his hit on UCA quarterback Nathan Dick in last Saturday's game in Huntsville.

Sam Houston State Football Student-Athlete Suspended for One Game (http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205276038)

lionsrking2
September 22nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
The Southland Conference has suspended SHSU's Mike Littleton one-game for his hit on UCA quarterback Nathan Dick in last Saturday's game in Huntsville.

Sam Houston State Football Student-Athlete Suspended for One Game (http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205276038)

Well deserved having seen the video.

TheRevSFA
September 22nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
There's video?

lionsrking2
September 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
There's video?

Yes. From UCA's coaches show ... occurs a little less than halfway thru video

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/ucasports.com/fcs_fbr_ep03_samhouston.mp4

BEAR
September 23rd, 2011, 09:40 AM

I've watched the video of the Nathan Dick hit. It was a violent head shot but it was in the action of a tackle in the speed of the play.

1) Conque nor Nathan called for that review. The SLC/NCAA has a policy to review head hits that lead to flags and THEY chose to review it. Don't think anyone at UCA NEEDED to or did raise a stink...it was already up for review by that rule. Was Conque mad...of course! As any coach would be...I don't doubt that so would Sam's coach.

2) After speaking with Nathan, he is more deteremined to get back to playing. But the docs are the ones who determine from numerous physical and mental batteries if he can. UCA is known for it's PT/OT departments and they have the players best interests in mind.

3) Hopefully the defender and the whole conference will see that video and realize how quickly a player's actions or inactions can affect not only his team but others.

Football is a smash-mouth game and it should stay that way. Don't let off the gas but know when to tap the brakes. I wish Sam luck the rest of the year. It's only the first game..I can't imagine ANYONE going undefeated this year. But if SAM keeps that speed up on defense ALL year, I can't imagine very many teams keeping up with them either. xlolx

jhanel
September 24th, 2011, 07:27 PM
NSU 34 Nicholls 0!!!!!!! FORK'EM!!!

blackfordpu
September 24th, 2011, 09:10 PM

Never been so happy to be wrong. Eat'em up Kats!

jhanel
September 24th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Great job Kats!

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2011, 10:47 PM
3-2 week... thanks Colonels! And Lumberjacks!

TT's Predictions All-Time Results
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 41-22 (16-12 SLC)
2010 Record: 49-17 (19-9 SLC)
2011 Record: 22-4 (2-1 SLC)
Total: 198-79 (71-44 SLC)

Cat79
September 24th, 2011, 10:58 PM
TT

Wrong again.

TEXAS STATE 35
SFA 26

blackfordpu
September 24th, 2011, 11:01 PM

Went two and three this week. Man...

El Gato
September 24th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I think there was only one poster who ctually picked Texas State on this thread. BOOM! Eat Em Up!http://bobcatfans.com/forums/images/smilies/bobcathead.gif

...although to be fair, I wouldn't have picked us either....

TexasTerror
September 25th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I think there was only one poster who ctually picked Texas State on this thread. BOOM! Eat Em Up!http://bobcatfans.com/forums/images/smilies/bobcathead.gif

...although to be fair, I wouldn't have picked us either....

I think last week, I was one of the only two posters to go SHSU over Central Arkansas... will be fun to see how that changes! ;)