PDA

View Full Version : Hampton University's offense gives........

HIUguy08
April 9th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Pirates' offense gains confidence early

Hampton University's offense gives the defense better competition in this year's spring football scrimmage.

BY MARTY O'BRIEN
247-4963

April 9, 2006

HAMPTON -- The defense so thoroughly dominated Hampton University's annual spring football scrimmage a year ago that coach Joe Taylor was reluctant to report the results. The outcome foreshadowed a season in which the defense earned much of the credit for the Pirates' 11-1 record.

The defense was again better in the rain-soaked Blue-White game held Saturday, but only slightly better. This time the offense walked off of the field at muddy Armstrong Stadium with a confidence that Taylor was pleased to talk about.

"Princeton Shepherd (HU's first-team quarterback) told me that if it had been a dry day, it would've been a blowout in the offense's favor," Taylor said. "If the kids are excited about the offense, then I'm excited about it.

"We had tight ends catching the ball, and fullbacks, halfbacks and receivers. I'm really pleased with the progress we've made as a team, especially with a new system."

New offensive coordinator Chris Beatty's system is designed to spread the field and keep opposing defenses from keying on tailback Alonzo Coleman. Coleman missed Saturday's game after getting some wisdom teeth pulled last week, but the offense fared well without him.

Shepherd completed three passes for 81 yards to Marquay McDaniel and hooked up with Virginia Tech transfer Jeremy Gilchrist three times for 25 yards. The highlight was Shepherd's 27-yard touchdown pass to McDaniel on a flanker screen.

"The defense blitzed both safeties and I just had to make sure I got it out to Marquay," Shepherd said. "Defenses are going to have to play us honestly. They (HU's defenders) know if it had been dry today, it would've been pretty ugly."

Maybe. But the defense, which returns nine starters, looks as quick and talented as last season's. Defensive end Marcus Dixon came up huge, breaking through the offensive line for three sacks. Micah Littlejohn returned a fumble recovery 20 yards for a touchdown early in the scrimmage.

"Our front seven played very well," Taylor said.

NOTES

With Coleman out, Van Morgan and Kevin Beverly staged a spirited duel for the No. 2 tailback spot. Morgan carried 12 times for 70 yards and one touchdown. Beverly had 12 carries for 92 yards, including a 62-yard TD run. ... The Pirates will practice three times next week, ending their spring workouts with a scrimmage on Thursday. «

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-01723sy0apr09,0,7984697.story?coll=dp-sports-local

mikebigg
April 9th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Where can I get a copy of the scrimmage...:D

HIUguy08
April 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I have no idea. I guess you may have to call the football office. The last scrimmage is Thursday from what I have heard.

G.S.Green
April 10th, 2006, 03:24 PM
The sloppy field conditions limited the Offense. They do look sharp. Nice job with the schedule to get two weeks at the end of the season to set the table for a playoff win on Thanksgiving weekend.