PDA

View Full Version : The Lehigh at Monmouth thread

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2011, 10:25 PM
Headlined by... what else?... my blog on the matter! xlolx

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/09/photo-credit-monmouth-examiner-three.html

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 1st, 2011, 10:32 PM
I'll be there on Saturday, can't wait! Outside of McKena Lehigh enters this game in good shape on the injury front.

LUHawker
September 2nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
LFN-

I agree that the key to this game, and to a much lesser degree, the season, is a fast offensive start. If Cecchini can get Lum, Spadola and Barkett off to the races, the O-line, which IMO, will need a couple of games to put it together, will get confidence and there will be less "tinkering". I think the defense will take some pressure off of the offense, but I would love to see LU open it up early. Big question for me is: Will Lehigh have a running game this year? The O-line will determine a lot of that, but I think there is a very good chance that Barkett will outperform this year. He hasn't had a lot of touches, but I recall that whenever he gets the ball, good things happen. This, of course, makes one wonder why he hasn't gotten more touches. We'll find out soon.

Biggest concerns for me this year are special teams, particularly the kicking game. Up until years past, Andy Coen's teams have lost the close ones. Preventing a relapse into that this year, will be a kicking game - especially field goals, that provide an edge. I am not sanguine that the team has that in place, yet.

I think a very solid game will also prevent immediate doubts that last season was an anomaly for Coen.

Lehigh showed very well in the playoffs last year and I have no reason to think that they shouldn't show well here. I think Lehigh could put up 35 on the Hawks, but will also go with a 31 spot. Defensively, however, I think Lehigh is very game and gives up something less than 17, so I am going with 13.

The Mountain Hawks 31, Hawks 13

RichH2
September 2nd, 2011, 09:33 AM
Wish I could go. Scoring points always important but I dont expect O to be Good on Sat but will be good enuf. D must control game shorten field and dominate. Willett and Connare? Surprised not on 2 deep but to me means others are better. Likewise Nigel. Go Lehigh.

Fordham
September 2nd, 2011, 10:16 AM
any big transfers or frosh signings for Monmouth that might surprise?

Good luck Hawks!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 2nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
any big transfers or frosh signings for Monmouth that might surprise?

Good luck Hawks!

Their running back is a WVU transfer.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Their starting CB/KR is a transfer as well from Morgan State. There are plenty of unpleasant surprises lurking, which worries me.

carney2
September 2nd, 2011, 12:14 PM

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/09/photo-credit-monmouth-examiner-three.html

This is the second time that I have been forced to communicate to you, LFN, about your blog on AGS because the blog's "Post Comments" routine is just too much for my pea brain to handle. (Channel it through some social medium, stand on your head, spit out two wooden nickels, and then scream out "LEHIGH SUX! at the top of your voice. The only one of these steps that I am comfortable with is the final one.) Anyway, when I click on your blog link I end up with HUGE print that sails off the screen and is unreadable without line-by-line horizontal scrolling. I would think it's me because I may be a nerd, but I am not a computer nerd, but it happens nowhere else in my experience. Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

ngineer
September 2nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
I am nervous about the PK game as well. Punting should be okay from what I've seen. New longsnapper (who supposedly is very good) and holder as well. Defense should hold things in check while O figures some things out. If Winnett cannot make two deep, that is a very good sign, as Phil is a very good DT. Sherman out for a couple weeks, so hopefully Barket can handle it all. Dormevil may get some 'change of pace' calls. It will also be interesting to see how the return game is after watching Kennedy for four years, and Cribbs on the PRs. Drwal is doing the PR, I think. Monmouth is no day at the beach. They lost four or five games last year by one point and return a good core from that group. Some excellent athletes, so we'll get all we can handle. Conditioning may play a big role in an early game on hot day in late summer.

van
September 2nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Hah, LFN has a special anti-Carney routine on his blog, very impressive!

RichH2
September 2nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
At spots, MU has impressive talent. 3-8 deceptive as many under TD losses BUT regardless you are what your record says you are. Recall our years of close losses. COULDA will not convert them to wins. Will not be a cake walk but this team has learned how to win. We won those close games last yr. No way to know whether MU has learned how not to lose.

ngineer
September 2nd, 2011, 10:28 PM

Custom-made comment for our resident spotted-pussy who looks like Norton....

RichH2
September 3rd, 2011, 10:42 AM
Well time to ramp up for game. Lets win and avoid any injuries.

Seahawks Fan
September 3rd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Don't take Monmouth lightly. They will be tough at home.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 3rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
At the game now. Theres tons of Lehigh fans here which should make for Goodman east.

JMG1MON
September 3rd, 2011, 11:35 AM
Lehigh has travelled well. Let's go Hawks!!! Just got here myself!!!

JMG1MON
September 3rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Impressive opening drive for Monmouth. 72 yd td drive. 7-0, 8:26 left 1st quarter.

aceinthehole
September 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Impressive opening drive for Monmouth. 72 yd td drive. 7-0, 8:26 left 1st quarter.

Excellent start!

JMG1MON
September 3rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Had a chance for a 3 and out. Lehigh converted two 3rd and tens on the drive. 7-7 2:54 left in 1st

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 3rd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Lehigh responds with a great drive of their own. Tied at 7

van
September 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Some suspect tackling by Lehigh D so far, giving Monmouth extra chances.

van
September 3rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
How bout them apples, Spadola for 74 yard TD.

JMG1MON
September 3rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
73 yd td pass for Lehigh. 14-7 14:31 left 2nd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 3rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
TD lehigh! Spadola torches the mu db for a 70 yard td catch

van
September 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
Beautiful screen pass to Barket, TD.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 3rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
TD Lehigh! 21 7 LU! Only only one stopping LU is themselves. MU has no dprth on D

JMG1MON
This is getting ugly quick. As usual, MU cannot stop a spread attack. 21-7.

NFLCB2
Lehigh is looking sharp.. Gotta give the credit where credit is due

van
September 3rd, 2011, 12:49 PM
Lehigh D tackling well now, that's more like it.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 3rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Solid first half for the hawks. They got a little sloppy the last two drives, hopefully they clean up the self inflicted wounds. Lehigh is much deeper than MU, especially on defense

RichH2
September 3rd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Ok let follow up with a similar 2nd half

van
September 3rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Video feed from Monmouth is pretty good, although the cameraman was faked out on the Spadola TD.

RichH2
September 3rd, 2011, 01:29 PM
Wish I could be at home today to watch but am stuck working and I'm too old to see much on my phone. New fangled thing makes me nuts but kids insisted I must have one.

JMG1MON
September 3rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Okay, I have a major beef with the refs. I just looked up the rulesto confirm this, unless I missed something. If the ball is out of bounds in the last 2 minutes of a half, the clock stops and doesn't restart until the snap of the ball. Why did MU have to take a timeout to avoid the ten second runoff if the clock was stopped? The ten second runoff rule only happens if the clock is running, just like the NFL's rule!!!

van
September 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
There was an illegal procedure penalty. 10 seconds would run off the clock if they did not call the time out.

JMG1MON
September 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
MU turns interception into a field goal. 21-10 10:16 left in the 3rd

JMG1MON
September 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
But Van, even if the clock isn't running?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Lehigh goes right down the field and scores a td. MU has no answer for Spadola.

van
September 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Correct.

The most sweeping change approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on Thursday is the 10-second runoff, something the NFL has used for years. College teams will now have the option of taking the yardage and the time, the yardage only or declining the penalty.

JMG1MON
September 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
Another Lehigh td pass to Spadola 28-10 8:32 left.

van
September 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
pitch and catch with Spadola. now 28-10

JMG1MON
September 3rd, 2011, 01:55 PM
http://refereenation.docs.s3.amazonaws.com/2011NCAA10SecondRunoffV12.pdf

Read the top box. Sorry I can't put this in a link form, doing this from my phone.

van
September 3rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Monmouth D looks worn out. Lehigh moving at will now.

van
September 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Barket waltzes into the end zone. Glad to see him getting more touches. I look for a big year from him.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Barkett with a nice td run...35 10 Lehigh, these teams r on different levels

JMG1MON
September 3rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Van, did they show a replay of that?? Did MU touch the ball?

van
September 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
No replay, annoucers could not confirm if it was touched or not.

van
September 3rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Lum to Drawl. More pitch and catch. 42-10

Feel bad for the Monmouth D, they just seem worn out.

Should see a lot of second team guys now that we are in the 4th quarter.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 3rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Great one handed td catch by drawl! 42 10 Lehigh

JMG1MON
September 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Okay thanks. You guys are good. Although, MU isnt great.

van
September 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
Looks like we have some work to do on the punt game!

van
September 3rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
More sloppy tackling on the punt coverage.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 3rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Overall excellent perfomance for Lehigh. The punt team needs work all other aspects of the team looked good. I was extremely suprised by the difference in size, speed and depth

danefan
September 3rd, 2011, 03:34 PM
Overall excellent perfomance for Lehigh. The punt team needs work all other aspects of the team looked good. I was extremely suprised by the difference in size, speed and depth

That's why Monmouth was picked by most to be a mid-to-low level NEC team this year.

RichH2
September 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Just read box stats on ESPN overall very good. D good but nearly as dominate as they need to be. I realize last 2 tds by MU vs subs but we still did not contain as well as we will need to . ST stats were quite poor. Well they say a teams greatest improvement is between 1st and 2nd game, we will need all that and more for next week.

aceinthehole
September 3rd, 2011, 04:15 PM
That's why Monmouth was picked by most to be a mid-to-low level NEC team this year.

Exactly. Monmouth is a work in progress.

Barkett with a nice td run...35 10 Lehigh, these teams r on different levels

What levels?

Monmouth was picked 6th out of 10 in the NEC. Lehigh was picked 1st out of 6 Patriot League teams. Certainly this was a good win by the Mountain Hawks, as most people expected.

But Monmouth is likely no different from what you would expect to see from PL's 5th ranked preseaon team.

Southsider
September 3rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
U R right Rich, D needs to improve. Also, this team is not good enough to put in 2nd team O, and have them try to sit on the lead and grind it out. They need to keep attacking. Colvin will be needed at some point, and will have to throw, and throw well. Overall though, a better performance than I expected.

RichH2
September 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Truthfully I did not expect as much from O this time out. From what I'm told MU even weaker than I thought, so hard to tell O line status but the O performed well and did not commit too many unforced errors. D after 1st drive settled in well . Bend dont break worked again Dbs gave too much room but overall a good game to settle in. UNH game may be a track meet. Toledo is a Good MAC team and they handled UNH D all gane. Decker moved them on O. We may not be as good as Toledo but I dont think UNH D will shut down our O. Q will be whether our db can stand up to UNH passing

kardplayer
September 3rd, 2011, 07:47 PM
Exactly. Monmouth is a work in progress.

What levels?

Monmouth was picked 6th out of 10 in the NEC. Lehigh was picked 1st out of 6 Patriot League teams. Certainly this was a good win by the Mountain Hawks, as most people expected.

But Monmouth is likely no different from what you would expect to see from PL's 5th ranked preseaon team.

And I think it's fair to say that Lehigh is on a different level than the 5th ranked preseason team in the Patriot League too.

ngineer
September 4th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I thought Lehigh's performance, for an opening game, was tremendous on offense. I thought I was watching the ol' Air Lehigh of the late '90's/early 00's. Lum has improved greatly from last year and he has options galore. MU's D could not focus on anyone without getting burned elsewhere. We could have scored 60 if we wanted. Ironically, MU's line was bigger than ours---goes to the old adage of smaller but quicker will usually trump bigger and slower. Defense did well after the opening drive of MU. 14 points at the end against the subs, but I liked the fact Coen got everyone in there. In a long season, you need game experience from many. Last year Troy Taylor went down, and Groome steps in to become All-American. Depth is key, and it seemed MU was not in the best of shape. A lot of MU guys down with cramps or dehydration issues. Peery looked very good on PK's. Strong, confident kicks, plus good depth on KO's. Punt game needs some work, though Divers did well under pressure. On the questionable roughing call, it appeared on the video that the MU guy hit Divers, but not the ball, hence, even though the punt was affected, since the ball was not blocked it is roughing. Granted, not one you see too often. Spadola could reset all of Lehigh's receiving records by the time he's done. He certainly has the size, hands and quickness. If he keeps progressing, could be the next Kreider. For a game everyone (except the MU faithful) thought Lehigh should win, most thought this would be competitive and relatively close. Mountain Hawks have made a statement. They belong in the Top 15 discussion.

aceinthehole
September 5th, 2011, 11:43 AM
How was the trip/experience at Monmouth for Lehigh fans? How was the attendence and off the field stuff? Did you guys travel well, tailgate, etc?

Colgate visits W. Long Branch in week 5 and next season's PL trips to the NEC include:

Colgate at Albany
Lehigh at CCSU
Lafayette at Robert Morris