PDA

View Full Version : Royce Morgan, Greg Fay returning leadership for Lehigh

ngineer
March 29th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Article in today's Morning Call concerning on medical redshirts Morgan (DT) and Fay (FB) views on getting a fifth year granted by the NCAA and the experience they will be giving a 'youngish' Mountain Hawk squad this year. Morgan is expected to be a real force, and was a major focus of opposing OC's last year. Fay brings tremendous depth to the backfield after an excellent season last year. He's developed into a 'big' fullback at 230 lbs. but is also an excellent receiver providing another 'TE' on the field.
The return of these two guys will also bring the 'intangibles' of experienced leadership in the lockerrooom that will be helpful in a year of transition with new coaches.
Article at www.mcall.com/sports

colgate13
March 29th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Morgan should have the inside track as the PL's best defensive lineman this year.

LCFan21
March 29th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Morgan should have the inside track as the PL's best defensive lineman this year.

I think Marvin Snipes will have something to say about that.

colgate13
March 29th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I think Marvin Snipes will have something to say about that.

Say all he wants, but Morgan was on last years PL leader board in sacks, TFL and forced fumbles. Snipes was nowhere to be found. He will have to pick up his game to be at Morgan's level.

If anything, IMO Morgan's competition will be from Alex Buzbee at G'Town. Given the relative historical program strengths though, Buzbee may suffer from doubleteams and such while Morgan should be able to have teams play him more honestly.

carney2
March 29th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Say all he wants, but Morgan was on last years PL leader board in sacks, TFL and forced fumbles. Snipes was nowhere to be found. He will have to pick up his game to be at Morgan's level.

If anything, IMO Morgan's competition will be from Alex Buzbee at G'Town. Given the relative historical program strengths though, Buzbee may suffer from doubleteams and such while Morgan should be able to have teams play him more honestly.

Sorry, Pards, but Mr. 13 is correct on this one. On the plus side, Morgan wants to go out a winner and it is rumored that he will transfer to Lafayette after spring drills. :smiley_wi

colgate13
March 29th, 2006, 10:56 AM
On the plus side, Morgan wants to go out a winner and it is rumored that he will transfer to Lafayette after spring drills. :smiley_wi

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

ngineer
March 29th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Sorry, Pards, but Mr. 13 is correct on this one. On the plus side, Morgan wants to go out a winner and it is rumored that he will transfer to Lafayette after spring drills. :smiley_wi

:p In yo' dreams big boy...;)

LCFan21
March 29th, 2006, 01:36 PM

If you are comparing LAST years numbers we can't argue that but 06 might just shake out different....it is not out of the question so he should be included in the discussion no?

colgate13
March 29th, 2006, 01:56 PM
If you are comparing LAST years numbers we can't argue that but 06 might just shake out different....it is not out of the question so he should be included in the discussion no?
Of course! Hence I said 'inside track'. Conover from Bucknell last year had the inside track, and lost it big time to Morgan, Ononibaku from G'Town, and IMO Galletly and Wurst from Colgate. Where you start isn't always where you finish. IMO Conover got the all-PL nod based a lot of reputation. I wasn't impressed when they were in Hamilton.

But like I said, Snipes will need to step up his game to get to that next level. He was good last year, but Morgan was a step better.

LCFan21
March 29th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Seems like a lot of new LB's around the PL this year.......what players are you expecting to emerge as All PL candidates?

colgate13
March 29th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Seems like a lot of new LB's around the PL this year.......what players are you expecting to emerge as All PL candidates?

Great question, as LB could be wide open this year. Taylor at Fordham seems like a good possibility to pencil in, but with CU, LC and LU basically all reloading at the LB position, who knows?

Some outside shots could be Dan Adams at Holy Cross if they can continue to win and Dorian Peterson at Bucknell if they turn it around. Josh Jenrette could be there too (linebackers might be a strength of Fordhams this year).

If they don't, it will be whoever steps it up on the 3 top teams. David Wesley at Colgate has potential, but I don't think he's at the same level as Nepa or Lukabu before him. Now, our two rising sophomores? Give them a year at varsity and I think they'll be standouts as juniors and seniors.

What do some LC and LU fans think they've got to step up to the plate?

Lafalumni29
March 29th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Great question, as LB could be wide open this year. Taylor at Fordham seems like a good possibility to pencil in, but with CU, LC and LU basically all reloading at the LB position, who knows?

Some outside shots could be Dan Adams at Holy Cross if they can continue to win and Dorian Peterson at Bucknell if they turn it around. Josh Jenrette could be there too (linebackers might be a strength of Fordhams this year).

If they don't, it will be whoever steps it up on the 3 top teams. David Wesley at Colgate has potential, but I don't think he's at the same level as Nepa or Lukabu before him. Now, our two rising sophomores? Give them a year at varsity and I think they'll be standouts as juniors and seniors.

From what I remember, LBs Romans, Bacon, Plumby, and Reddy were more highly touted as recruits than Costanzo, Bennett, & Spoon (correct me if I'm wrong). We'll see if it translates on the field. Let's not forget Stovall who was injured for most of last year. He basically won the 2004 LC-LH game for us by forcing those two fumbles on Rath. I think he will be a great leader.

ngineer
March 29th, 2006, 09:26 PM

From an LU perspective, Travis Stinson could be set for a big senior year, 5'10, 210 but very good quickness. Similarly, Rashaun Gasaway (whose twin brother Laquan may be in the secondary) got a lot of playing time last year as a sophomore. Micah Greene is a fireplug, and although only 5'8", he tips at 230 and one of the strongest on the team-he holds 3 American weightlifting records--an very good hole plugger against the run.
But back to the original thread--what should set Royce up, is the fact that Lehigh also has several other starters back on the DL, so OL's will be limited in their ability to double team Morgan, otherwise someone else should be creating havoc.

colgate13
March 30th, 2006, 07:07 AM
But back to the original thread--what should set Royce up, is the fact that Lehigh also has several other starters back on the DL, so OL's will be limited in their ability to double team Morgan, otherwise someone else should be creating havoc.

Exactly. I think other good DLs in the PL won't have as good a supporting cast to work with - at least from the preseason perspective.

Lafalumni29
March 30th, 2006, 08:19 AM
From what I remember, LBs Romans, Bacon, Plumby, and Reddy were more highly touted as recruits than Costanzo, Bennett, & Spoon (correct me if I'm wrong). We'll see if it translates on the field. Let's not forget Stovall who was injured for most of last year. He basically won the 2004 LC-LH game for us by forcing those two fumbles on Rath. I think he will be a great leader.
.......in addition, 3 out of 4 starters back on a good DL will make it much easier for our new LBs to get comfortable. I believe it was the attention to Snipes last year that made our already good LBs look unbelieveable, as well as limit Snipes' stats. How else does he make 1st team all PL without so much as 1 sack??!! Please, Scout and Andy, fill in or correct me.

Andy
March 30th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I think one could say that the mobility and flat out speed that Morgan brings to his DT position is probably more extraordinary than what Marvin gives you at the DE, however, 29 is right on that the coaches showed Snipes great respect by naming him 1st team despite no sacks and lower tackle #s than his soph year. That has to reflect his being double teamed and opponents just being more aware of him.

29, I don't think the rest of the league knows what we have in Stovall, but they're gonna find out...not a flashy guy, but a very, very solid player which, I'm happy to say, I picked up on in his first Marist game back in '03. I might disagree with you re the notoriety of the LB recruiting classes. We were lucky to get Costanzo, a two time AS player including a 1st team choice senior year , and Mo. Immediate playing time was the draw, as you know. Last year I'd say only Romans came highly touted at the LB position. Reddy's HS honors were at the WR position and Scriveri was actually recruited as a QB. Bacon's abilities may have been well respected by our staff (I remember Scout posting positive impressions about him) but I didn't get the impression we fought off other schools to get him. Man, with this year's LB group added to the mix, I am excited about our future at the the position! Gonna be fun to watch Reddy and Romans develop this season.

I'll stick my neck out and say LC will have the best DL in the league. With the spring prospectus, we had the question of Bloom (returning from injury) or Babcock at DE answered, and it's Bloom. Kody moves inside to DT backup where he may bring the most athleticism to that position for LC in years. Will Jerrell Robinson make his presence known this year?

colgate13
March 31st, 2006, 07:36 AM
I'll stick my neck out and say LC will have the best DL in the league. With the spring prospectus, we had the question of Bloom (returning from injury) or Babcock at DE answered, and it's Bloom. Kody moves inside to DT backup where he may bring the most athleticism to that position for LC in years. Will Jerrell Robinson make his presence known this year?

I think it's either you or LU - unless some magic can happen in G'Town. I'm just hoping Colgate's line proves adequate as our secondary will hopefully be able to lend them some support in the form of coverage sacks, and our safeties will lend plenty of support on the run. Geoff Bean will be all over the field at his SS spot. I think it's between him and Morgan for preseason Defensive POY.

Robinson certainly had the credentials coming in, but didn't I read that he wasn't starting/playing much in spring ball this year?

Pard4Life
March 31st, 2006, 12:14 PM

You don't need to stick your neck out regarding that comment. It is already above all the rest. Lafayette will have the best DL coming into this year.

I think the present starters on the defensive side of the ball will stay about the same and is pretty much what all of us Pardsters have been guessing. There might be some competition and fine tuning with the LB depth, but Stovall should definetely be a starter. Romans and Reddy are the most talented from what I hear, and Plumby is excellent too. I don't know anything about the other LBs, sophs. Bacon and Scriveri.

Nobody is speaking about our secondary, and I like that. Our stringent pass defense will continue. Torian and Martell have been tremendous.. 58 and 64 tackles, only behind the LBs and Brown. Torian.. 3 INTs. If anything, I do have questions at CB. Lawson and Chad Hunter both played in every game at CB, but I do remember they got picked on alot vs. bigger players, like the end of the Colgate game. I hope they progress this spring.. they have some large numbers to fill.. Tye Murphy and LJ.. combined 18 pass breakups.

And we do have Bryan Kazmierowski back at safety.. an impact player who missed most of last year. And Marcel Quarterman... speaking of, was Quarterman injured last year? He was a stud rookie in 2004 and did not really do anything last year.

If there is something I am worried about, it's special teams... but not Ziska's FG kicking.

colgate13
March 31st, 2006, 12:38 PM
If anything, I do have questions at CB. Lawson and Chad Hunter both played in every game at CB, but I do remember they got picked on alot vs. bigger players, like the end of the Colgate game.

I've been of the mindset that LC will have a good secondary, but not nearly as good as the past. I could be wrong. I don't think the Pard run defense will be in question this year, even with some new faces.

With Colgate bringing in two Florida 6'2" receivers (Gongora and Henry) along with 6'6" local boy Simonds, I'm excited to see what they can do in the PL based on how Erik Burke at 6'0" was able to use his height over some DBs last year - like you mentioned. Brent Dillingham, TE, at 6'5" should be another tough one to cover.

We just got to make sure that Saraceno is consistent!

Pard4Life
March 31st, 2006, 01:54 PM
I've been of the mindset that LC will have a good secondary, but not nearly as good as the past. I could be wrong. I don't think the Pard run defense will be in question this year, even with some new faces.

With Colgate bringing in two Florida 6'2" receivers (Gongora and Henry) along with 6'6" local boy Simonds, I'm excited to see what they can do in the PL based on how Erik Burke at 6'0" was able to use his height over some DBs last year - like you mentioned. Brent Dillingham, TE, at 6'5" should be another tough one to cover.

We just got to make sure that Saraceno is consistent!

Tavani loves to run the fade post to Ort or a tall guy in the endzone, especially when creating height mismatches. Now it seems like Colgate can employ the same scheme against us very easily... assuming our players' verticals can't make up the height and Colgate's verticals.

I think we can get in there and make Saraceno scramble a bit.. but not every down.. so the height mismatch has me worried a bit.

colorless raider
April 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM
I agree with 13 in the key to the season is the consistency of Scaraceno and the impact of rookies on the DL. We need upfront help on both sides of the ball to be in the mix.