PDA

View Full Version : FCS NFL Prospect Tidbits

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
FCS NFL Prospect Tidbits

I have posted very little, if anything, on the 2012 FCS NFL Draft Class so I figured I would post blurbs from sources around the NFL and my own stuff.

First, I will say this is the best CB class I have ever seen in FCS with 6 CBs who have a legit shot to be drafted as of now. Tops in the group on my list is Ryan Steed of Furman with a 4th round grade. Some scouts agree with me while others think Trumaine Johnson of Montana is a little better. If you swapped their heights there is no doubt Steed would be a 2nd round projection right now. I have Johnson in the 4th-5th round. Both could go in the 3rd when all is said and done.

Cal Poly’s Asa Jackson is another one but scouts have him higher than I do as I see him as a 6th round type guy while many scouts have him in the 4th round. He is only 5’10 and he gives up more plays than you want in a possible NFL starter from the FCS level.

Other corners to keep an eye on include Coastal Carolina’s Josh Norman and Hampton’s Micah Pellerin while a couple sleepers are EKU”s Jeremy Caldwell and Murray State’s Dontrell Johnson. Johnson, like Jackson and Caldwell is a very good return man whose value is improved by that asset.

There are only two offensive linemen whom I consider draftable and both are 5th-7th round types in USD’s Tom Compton and Columbia’s Jeff Adams. I like Adam’s style of play more but Compton is a finesse guy who did very well against Minnesota and UCF. He handled a couple combine guys very well.

The best upside is coming from App State’s Brian Quick but he could find his numbers down unless others step up at receiver. He could end up in the 2nd or 3rd round or find himself in the 5th round range. I don’t see him falling lower than the 4th round though because he does have some freakish qualities.

With Taiwan Jones leaving early the best RB is a late round option in Murray State’s Mike Harris. Harris is a player and the best prospect since Austen Lane at MSU. He could go in the 6th or 7th round.

EWU DT Renard Williams is overrated by the media right now as the scouts have him as a PFA and I have him as a 6th-7th round guy. Williams flashes needing to put it all together and be consistent and his Wonderlic score is a little low even for a DT.

The most overrated player on my board by scouts is B.J. Coleman of UTC whom I gave a PFA grade and late round projection to but scouts have him in the 4th and 5th round. I think that is way too high. He had some really bad games throwing several picks and had a couple dropped picks against App and others. He is not very accurate and lacks a big arm. He is a 3rd string type player in the NFL, IMO.

I have four players whom I think scouts are really sleeping on as they mostly have PFA or FA grades on them and I have all of them in the 7th round or better. I think they are sleeping on Idaho State’s Tavoy Moore whom they think runs a 4.50 40 and I will bet my house, career, everything on him running no worse than a 4.42 in the 40. He can fly. He might run under a 4.35 and should run a sub 4.4. It would surprise me if he doesn’t run 4.3s. Another one I like is Lamar WR Marcus Jackson. I have him much higher than most. He can flat out play. He’s faster than people think and he has return ability. W&M RB Jonathan Grimes is rated lower because of injuries so no shock there. I still have him in late rounds. The other one is Villanova WR Norman White who ran slow for scouts but all Nova players did. He is a player who I think is a 6th round talent but I have him as a PFA projection until he improves his 40 time for them.

A couple possible sleepers to watch for are SC State S Donovan Richard who is bigger than people think at 210 and ran a 4.49 for scouts. If he plays well this year he could go in the 5th round range.

One all-purpose guy I like more than most is App State RB Travaris Cadet. He’s a good RB and RS but can play QB, WR, etc. He is an athlete and could go in the late rounds.

Elon OG Rodney Austin is seen as a center by some and with his size (6’3, 310) and style of play could move into late rounds from my PFA grade now.

Richmond QB Aaron Corp is a guy people think has lost his passion for football and must have a big year or else he will be no better than a low level free agent. He has late round talent though.

Some other names scouts have talked about heavily include the UNH duo of Brian McNally and Chris Jeannot while Liberty’s duo of Chris Summers and Asa Chapman are mid level free agents I think could go in the 6th or 7th round next year. Chapman is a lot better than that kid from Bethel who was drafted and Summers is a physical specimen.

The player I think they are missing the most on is Jackson State’s Donovan Robinson whom scouts have as a reject and I gave him high PFA grade to. He is a tweener and I’m not saying he will make it but he will be a definite free agent and if he bulks up and becomes a little more consistent he could get drafted.

AppAlum2003
July 22nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
What kind of numbers does BQ need to see this year to keep 2nd - 3rd round status?

And, can you please tell my Bears to draft him? Thanks.

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
What kind of numbers does BQ need to see this year to keep 2nd - 3rd round status?

And, can you please tell my Bears to draft him? Thanks.

He just needs to have a big year in all phases. Teams, and myself, want to see him dominate as a blocker, have consistent hands, never be taken out of games, and to get faster. They have him as a 4.50 40 guy but I promise he is not that fast. He plays like a 4.60 guy and needs to be more explosive and work on his 2nd gear speed as well.

I will tell the Bears but I can't promise they will listen lol.

Coastal44
July 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
Don't forget Coastal Carolina's David Duran at TE. The former Michigan State Spartan is a Pre-season 1st team All-American at TE.

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Don't forget Coastal Carolina's David Duran at TE. The former Michigan State Spartan is a Pre-season 1st team All-American at TE.

NFL scouts don't like him that much. Considered a fringe tryout player. Not a PFA or draftable guy. I have him as a low level PFA though, a decent bit higher than most scouts I talked with. Marcus Lott is getting more interest than Duran at this point.

Coastal44
July 22nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Good for Lott. I hear he is a great student and even greater person

Bam
July 22nd, 2011, 12:52 PM
As a sophomore, EKU's Jeremy Caldwell led the Ohio Valley Conference and tied for fourth nationally in the FCS with seven interceptions. Injuries slowed him down a little last year, but if he stays 100 % for EKU the skies the limit for this young man.

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
As a sophomore, EKU's Jeremy Caldwell led the Ohio Valley Conference and tied for fourth nationally in the FCS with seven interceptions. Injuries slowed him down a little last year, but if he stays 100 % for EKU the skies the limit for this young man.

He's a good player. Made some plays last year too. If he were 6'0 or 6'1 he would be very highly rated. Good athlete who runs well.

DJKyR0
July 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
NDSU RB DJ McNorton is going to make a huge splash this year. He'll improve on his 1,600 yards from last year and will factor even more prominently into the passing game than he did last year with almost 500 yards receiving. You can't undervalue a pass-catching RB in the NFL, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got a late-round pick as a returner for some team that has the pieces in place and just looks for extra parts.

cpalum
July 22nd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Cal Poly’s Asa Jackson is another one but scouts have him higher than I do as I see him as a 6th round type guy while many scouts have him in the 4th round. He is only 5’10 and he gives up more plays than you want in a possible NFL starter from the FCS level.

We have kicked this around on here before..If Asa has a good season this year I think he can be a 4th round guy. A few things that I think you miss....He is bigger than 5'10". I have been right next to him, he is not a 6 footer but I bet he's 5'11".

I am not postive but I bet he is the fastest guy on your list. In fact he may be as fast as any CB in the draft. He runs a legit 4.40 40. NFL speed is nornally a major predictor of draft order. Asa has also played against some of the most elite recievers in FCS....yes I can think of a few plays where he has been burned and I could say that about any guy you have named. We'll see how it shakes out but for my money Asa is one of the most solid NFL prospects Cal Poly has had.

Twentysix
July 22nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
NDSU RB DJ McNorton is going to make a huge splash this year. He'll improve on his 1,600 yards from last year and will factor even more prominently into the passing game than he did last year with almost 500 yards receiving. You can't undervalue a pass-catching RB in the NFL, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got a late-round pick as a returner for some team that has the pieces in place and just looks for extra parts.

I think mcnorton will have slightly less touches and less yards, but more per carry. He will definitly have more catches though. He will end up on an NFL team be it via the draft or FA.

Ojuri will play a bigger running role than Sigers, IMO.

Sam
July 23rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Colgates Nate Eachus RB
also being looked at I think he should have another great season so add him to that list...

WMTribe90
July 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
SCF,

I don't quite understand the injury knock on Grimes? He's a three year starter, who has missed roughly 2 out of the 37 games during his tenure. His only serious injury was the concussion he suffered on a KR against UNC that caused him to miss some time last year. It was his first and he finished the season strong upon his return. No surgeries or knee problems, just typical bumps and bruises. In fact, given his number of touches as a receiver out of the backfield, KO returner, and RB, I'd say he's extremely durable. Especially for a guy who is as physical as Grimes. Gonna sound like a homer here, but I think Grimes will be a steal for whoever takes him. Tough runner, great vision, great hands, good blocker, and he runs downhill. The only real negative is he doesn't have high end speed by NFL standards. Also couldn't ask for a better human being or harder worker.

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2011, 05:45 PM

We have kicked this around on here before..If Asa has a good season this year I think he can be a 4th round guy. A few things that I think you miss....He is bigger than 5'10". I have been right next to him, he is not a 6 footer but I bet he's 5'11".

I am not postive but I bet he is the fastest guy on your list. In fact he may be as fast as any CB in the draft. He runs a legit 4.40 40. NFL speed is nornally a major predictor of draft order. Asa has also played against some of the most elite recievers in FCS....yes I can think of a few plays where he has been burned and I could say that about any guy you have named. We'll see how it shakes out but for my money Asa is one of the most solid NFL prospects Cal Poly has had.

A couple things. Jackson measured in at 5'10 even for the NFL scouts. The NFL measures differently. If you believe you are 5'11 you are probably 5'10 or 5'10 1/4 by NFL standards.

Jackson is more quick than fast. He is blazing inside 10-20 yards but doesn't have a crazy 2nd gear. He is probably the 3rd fastest guy in my top 50 FCS prospects. Tavoy Moore is a legit 4.3, maybe high 4.2 guy, and DeAndre Presley can fly at well. He will run 4.3s or at least a 4.42 or 4.40. Jackson is a 4.40-4.44 guy on the watches I have. He's right there with them. I just don't think he has quite the 2nd gear the others have but he is very quick and explosive in short areas, which is more important.

I think Asa is the 3rd best NFL prospect Cal Poly has had entering their senior year. Gocong and Barden were higher on my board. I had Beck as a riser as a senior. I think he ends up having a solid career if he can work on getting beat. He got beat several times on tape and really needs to work on that. I know he is. I expect a big year from him.

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Colgates Nate Eachus RB
also being looked at I think he should have another great season so add him to that list...

These are just top guys who I have as draftable or a shot to be at this point. Eachus is a free agent on my board. I have a list of 140 FCS guys getting looks. He and many others are on it who I have not even mentioned.