PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Announces Public Television Partnership

Pages : 1 [2]

chattownmocs
July 18th, 2011, 03:08 PM
They already had both...all they did was cut out the other 47 states now. Not sure why you can't get that through your head.

The bottom line is that SOCON football will get more viewership on the 3 states on PBS, than it did in the enitre country(since you insist that it was on in the entire country, even though I have already proven it was not.) That is a guarantee.

chattownmocs
July 18th, 2011, 03:10 PM
You are without a doubt this board's biggest dumbass. So I won't waste the time it would take explaining D1 to you.

Oh wow, did I gorget the a in d1-a. Big deal. Its hilarious that anyone thinks that their school is going to get any less kids because they are now on PBS instead of the powerhouse SS.

chattownmocs
July 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM
PBS has a higher profile, better technology, and more viewers than SS. By a mile. Im sorry that you App State and Georgia Southern rejects think that SS was a big deal. It wasn't, it is a nothing network.

chattownmocs
July 18th, 2011, 03:18 PM
http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/10/fox_breaks_up_fox_sports_south.php

Massive amount of subscribers that "national" network SS had.

Apphole
July 18th, 2011, 03:26 PM
PBS has a higher profile, better technology, and more viewers than SS. By a mile. Im sorry that you App State and Georgia Southern rejects think that SS was a big deal. It wasn't, it is a nothing network.

PBS is more well known because everyone was once 5 years old. Having our games on PBS is a bad joke. SS is a sports network.

Apphole
July 18th, 2011, 03:33 PM
And better technology!? Do you really think the broadcast will be better? Oh man you're in for a surprise. Can you say bush league? "And now we send it down to Kermit the Frog on the field with coach Huesman". "Thanks Bert! Eehh Coach, do you know what's going on with Coleman? Is it that he was overrated or is it just the pressure from that ASU 3-4 blitz?". "well Kermit, I don't care. I'm putting in my son"

ElonPride
July 18th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Do you really think the broadcast will be better?

Actually.....

Although this remains to be seen, if it's in HD, the picture will look better over the air. Why? Cable and sat providers compress the ever living heck out of everything. OTA, you'll be seeing it as close as possible to the source video. You can't get SS OTA.

Granted as the one poster said a while back, if it's in 4X3, it will suck.

Apphole
July 18th, 2011, 04:03 PM
this remains to be seen

This in particular is a very good point. I suppose I shouldn't be too upset about it until I see it. However, I do predict that it will be a noticeable downgrade along with other major disadvantages, especially the principle of it (further "division twoing" of our division")

OL FU
July 18th, 2011, 04:11 PM
PBS is more well known because everyone was once 5 years old. Having our games on PBS is a bad joke. SS is a sports network.

I watch PBS all the time. Great music. Great history. Great science shows. Like I said. Furman fans won't have to change the channel to watch the gamexlolx

blaw0203
July 18th, 2011, 04:19 PM
The Socon shouldve done better. Even the MEAC and SWAC is on ESPN.

OL FU
July 18th, 2011, 04:24 PM

MEAC and SWAC have a national audience, right?

I would be real surprised if two SoCon teams went to the Detroit classic or whatever it might be and draw too many locals.

Saint3333
July 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM
and my comment was an assumption. I have no idea what or who drives the negotiation. It may have come out of the blue from Sportsouth and may have the SoCon in a scramble. Without specific knowledge we can guess all day whose fault it was.

The SoCon has always been reactive vs. proactive. Most conferences would be negotiating deals trying to get the best one vs. assuming SS would have the same offer year after year.

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2011, 04:34 PM
The SoCon has always been reactive vs. proactive. Most conferences would be negotiating deals trying to get the best one vs. assuming SS would have the same offer year after year.

Define "always" reactive and "most conferences."

citdog
July 18th, 2011, 04:37 PM

Those games are shown for PC reasons and EVERYONE KNOWS IT. It allows abc liberals to say they "embrace diversity" and other such nonsense.

dgtw
July 18th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Will Mr. Hooper's Store be catering the pre game tailgate meal?

eaglewraith
July 18th, 2011, 05:40 PM
And better technology!? Do you really think the broadcast will be better? Oh man you're in for a surprise. Can you say bush league? "And now we send it down to Kermit the Frog on the field with coach Huesman". "Thanks Bert! Eehh Coach, do you know what's going on with Coleman? Is it that he was overrated or is it just the pressure from that ASU 3-4 blitz?". "well Kermit, I don't care. I'm putting in my son"

"Coach, why are there so many songs about rainbows?"

blaw0203
July 18th, 2011, 06:16 PM
MEAC and SWAC have a national audience, right?

I would be real surprised if two SoCon teams went to the Detroit classic or whatever it might be and draw too many locals.

I get your point, but even for the level of athleticism that the Socon offers, it seems like ESPN would be interested in putting some of those games on one of their channels.

hapapp
July 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I may have missed it but I don't see any NC PBS stations in the Roanoke, Va cable lineup.

http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/va/roanoke/cox-communications/VA45497|X

It may in fact turn out to be a good deal as it provides greater coverage in the three states in the deal. But it is totally disingenuous to suggest that SS isn't available to a national audience. Yes people have to have satellite TV and pay extra to get the sports pack. However, it doesn't negate the fact that people anywhere in the country could have access to the network. I don't think it helps your argument to deny otherwise. You act as if the folks who disagree with your view are dense because they don't get the idea that there is expanded coverage within the conference footprint. Well, you come off as dense when you continue to argue that SS doesn't have a national draw.

OL FU
July 19th, 2011, 05:37 AM
I get your point, but even for the level of athleticism that the Socon offers, it seems like ESPN would be interested in putting some of those games on one of their channels.

Athleticism doesn't concern ESPN. Market does. Don't they show the hotdog eating contest in NYC?

OL FU
July 19th, 2011, 05:39 AM

You may have inside knowledge but I won't argue a point where my personal opinion is pure conjecture.

ElonPride
July 19th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I may have missed it but I don't see any NC PBS stations in the Roanoke, Va cable lineup.

http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/va/roanoke/cox-communications/VA45497|X

It may in fact turn out to be a good deal as it provides greater coverage in the three states in the deal. But it is totally disingenuous to suggest that SS isn't available to a national audience. Yes people have to have satellite TV and pay extra to get the sports pack. However, it doesn't negate the fact that people anywhere in the country could have access to the network. I don't think it helps your argument to deny otherwise. You act as if the folks who disagree with your view are dense because they don't get the idea that there is expanded coverage within the conference footprint. Well, you come off as dense when you continue to argue that SS doesn't have a national draw.

Was this post directed at me? The Chatt fan or me?

If at me - I'm not arguing that some across the country COULD (that's the point here) have access to the games if they switch providers, pay more, go to a bar, buy the service etc. Now, the majority in our own backyard won't have to do that period. Near 100% penetration in region. Can you argue against that number?

Now people across the country could watch the game because apparently the conference left the online rights open ended for the member institutions.

Guess I'm dense then.......

Saint3333
July 19th, 2011, 07:15 AM
You may have inside knowledge but I won't argue a point where my personal opinion is pure conjecture.

I know two former employees who worked their in the late 90's/early '00s, doesn't seem like much has changed.

hapapp
July 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Was this post directed at me? The Chatt fan or me?

If at me - I'm not arguing that some across the country COULD (that's the point here) have access to the games if they switch providers, pay more, go to a bar, buy the service etc. Now, the majority in our own backyard won't have to do that period. Near 100% penetration in region. Can you argue against that number?

Now people across the country could watch the game because apparently the conference left the online rights open ended for the member institutions.

Guess I'm dense then.......

I agree that the potential for a larger audience exists. My point is that with SS there was a national audience.

As to streaming the games by participating schools, is that free? I know at ASU it has not been free to watch the games? Will ASU or Elon stream games not involving the Apps or the Phoenix?

solohawk
July 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I am really surprised by the amount of negativity for this new deal. The Socon went from being on a regional sports network that was only available (without the directv sports package) to cable/satellite subscribers in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, and part of North Carolina (Greensboro and everything west of it) to being available to everyone who has a tv in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, and everyone that has a computer worldwide. Now if I lived if I was a UTC or Samford fan I would not be to excited as you guys in Tennessee and Alabama (as of now) go from having basic tv coverage to computer only coverage. This is the only negative I see.

The idea that Sportsouth brought you a national audience is true in only the most technical since as Directv made Sportsouth available to everyone who bought the sportspack. The Socon needs to focus on expanding their presence within their own territory as opposed to being able to be available on the West Coast for the handful of people who want to watch the game out there. Already the PBS deal opens up everything East of Greensboro in North Carolina. Also, you are more likely to see an increase in out of market viewers via internet streaming then you would via Sportsouth Directv sportspack. From the Socon perspective, If you are hardcore enough to watch a Socon game in California via Directv Sportspack you are hardcore enough to hook your computer up to your tv and watch the internet stream of the game.

If they can get Tennesse and Alabama on board this deal is a major win. More people within your region will have access to the games and the channel placement will be better. I don't get all the angst

ursus arctos horribilis
July 19th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I am really surprised by the amount of negativity for this new deal. The Socon went from being on a regional sports network that was only available (without the directv sports package) to cable/satellite subscribers in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, and part of North Carolina (Greensboro and everything west of it) to being available to everyone who has a tv in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, and everyone that has a computer worldwide. Now if I lived if I was a UTC or Samford fan I would not be to excited as you guys in Tennessee and Alabama (as of now) go from having basic tv coverage to computer only coverage. This is the only negative I see.

The idea that Sportsouth brought you a national audience is true in only the most technical since as Directv made Sportsouth available to everyone who bought the sportspack. The Socon needs to focus on expanding their presence within their own territory as opposed to being able to be available on the West Coast for the handful of people who want to watch the game out there. Already the PBS deal opens up everything East of Greensboro in North Carolina. Also, you are more likely to see an increase in out of market viewers via internet streaming then you would via Sportsouth Directv sportspack. From the Socon perspective, If you are hardcore enough to watch a Socon game in California via Directv Sportspack you are hardcore enough to hook your computer up to your tv and watch the internet stream of the game.

If they can get Tennesse and Alabama on board this deal is a major win. More people within your region will have access to the games and the channel placement will be better. I don't get all the angst

Excellent first post Hawk! I am really glad they did this if it means I can see SoCon games because with ChannelSurf gone I need a place to watch these games.

apaladin
July 19th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Excellent first post Hawk! I am really glad they did this if it means I can see SoCon games because with ChannelSurf gone I need a place to watch these games.

Will games via the internet be available for free? If so, from where? The PBS, SoCon or scholl sites? Without channelsurf I think there will be no free telecasts. I can't see the schools giving up this revenue as most have agreements media production companies. I think before there were only certain schools part of the SoCon website broadcasts, I guess the other schools had there own deal going. I could be wrong but I am skeptical there will be any free broadcasts. This is ok with me. If I can't be at the game I don't mind paying for the game if the quality is good.

Grizzaholic
July 19th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Will games via the internet be available for free? If so, from where? The PBS, SoCon or scholl sites? Without channelsurf I think there will be no free telecasts. I can't see the schools giving up this revenue as most have agreements media production companies. I think before there were only certain schools part of the SoCon website broadcasts, I guess the other schools had there own deal going. I could be wrong but I am skeptical there will be any free broadcasts. This is ok with me. If I can't be at the game I don't mind paying for the game if the quality is good.

I found a couple that were still up earlier this year...will have to find the list and will post it for ya.

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Not to burst your bubble, but the internet feeds bite the big one. I've never gotten an uninterrupted signal for an FCS game. Not even ESPN3. And the problem sure as hell isnt on my end.
There is nothing worse then watching your team and having that "not responding" crap happen, and the window close, then going through opening and loading it back up, or having the feed play catchup every 30 secs.

Listening to the radio at the same time doesnt help, because the radio is about 30 secs. faster.

BucBisonAtLarge
July 20th, 2011, 03:10 AM
The UCONN women's broadcasts have been done by CPTV for years. The quality is fine, but you just had to be ready for for pledge solicitation during breaks. PBS has much better market penetration than the sports cable channels, and it has been a giant win/win at UCONN as it gave CPTV some apparent relevance to the state's passions while providing the program with that critical full season of coverage that fans were demanding but unlikely to get from network affiliates or any cable outlet.

PaladinFan
July 20th, 2011, 06:54 AM

A thoughtful post containing an actual argument. Need more of those.

ASUMountaineer
July 20th, 2011, 07:27 AM

Will it really be "available to everyone who has a tv in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia?" Will it be on the actual main PBS channel (UNC-TV in NC), or a sub-channel? It's my understanding that it will not be on the main channel, but sub-channels--which many satellite subscribers cannot get. Perhaps I missed something.

Saint3333
July 20th, 2011, 07:38 AM
A thoughtful post containing an actual argument. Need more of those.

There are many thoughtful posts in the thread for BOTH sides.

ElonPride
July 20th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Saint, I thought the two of us had presented facts well on both sides.....guess I was wrong. :)

PaladinFan
July 20th, 2011, 08:51 AM

I'm still waiting on you to explain why the SoCon is "always" reactive and acting contrary to "most conferences."

Saint3333
July 20th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Saint, I thought the two of us had presented facts well on both sides.....guess I was wrong. :)

EP you should be used to it by now ;-).

Paladin, the SoCon used to be the best FCS conference. The choices our leaders have made have impacted that. In addition if the SoCon really is a "mid-major" basketball conference we sure aren't getting that kind of leadership.

While other conferences try to improve the status of their basketball programs through scheduling restrictions, the SoCon does not, allowing each team to fend for themselves. Other conferences improve their TV deals, ours gets PBS.

I don't know what the SoCon's intentions are in the overall picture of the FCS and NCAA basketball, but their plan isn't matching what I'd like to see for ASU.

solohawk
July 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Will it really be "available to everyone who has a tv in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia?" Will it be on the actual main PBS channel (UNC-TV in NC), or a sub-channel? It's my understanding that it will not be on the main channel, but sub-channels--which many satellite subscribers cannot get. Perhaps I missed something.

I know in NC that UNC TV has the main PBS Channel (In Wilmington it is 39-1) and then 2 sub channels, 39-2 (A Children's Programming Subchannel) and 39-3 (an alternative UNC TV Channel). I think we can all agree that the SoCon will not be on the Children's Programming channel, so that leaves 39-1, the main channel, and 39-3, the subchannel.

I would assume that the SoCon programming would warrant placement on the main channel (39-1) and that is something the conference office would have made sure of. I don't really see PBS wanting to play hardball here as they are probably excited to have programming that will appeal to a more non traditional PBS audience. I would be very surprised if the games are on anything but the main PBS channel that everyone with a TV gets.

As for the internet feed, I have no clue if they will charge for it or not. It is likely that they will, but out of area Sportsouth Socon fans were paying $12.00/month for the Directv Sports Pack to get the games. Now, they can easily transfer those funds to the SoCon Website or whoever is hosting the games and still have the same access.

solohawk
July 20th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I also just reread the press release which stated UTC is covered by the Georgia PBS. So really Samford fans in Alabama are the only one negatively impacted by this new deal

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I know in NC that UNC TV has the main PBS Channel (In Wilmington it is 39-1) and then 2 sub channels, 39-2 (A Children's Programming Subchannel) and 39-3 (an alternative UNC TV Channel). I think we can all agree that the SoCon will not be on the Children's Programming channel, so that leaves 39-1, the main channel, and 39-3, the subchannel.

I would assume that the SoCon programming would warrant placement on the main channel (39-1) and that is something the conference office would have made sure of. I don't really see PBS wanting to play hardball here as they are probably excited to have programming that will appeal to a more non traditional PBS audience. I would be very surprised if the games are on anything but the main PBS channel that everyone with a TV gets.

As for the internet feed, I have no clue if they will charge for it or not. It is likely that they will, but out of area Sportsouth Socon fans were paying $12.00/month for the Directv Sports Pack to get the games. Now, they can easily transfer those funds to the SoCon Website or whoever is hosting the games and still have the same access.

It wont be on the main channel according to the newspapers. The main point sited by the PBS reps was that they wouldnt have to interrupt their regular programing to air the games.

solohawk
July 20th, 2011, 10:05 AM
http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=205180299

streaming is free so you out of market guys can cancel the directv sportspack

i have read over many press releases and articles and I cannot find any that mention the subchannels so I have to believe it is on the Main PBS. The UTC press release lists the channels of the main Georgia PBS not the subchannels so again I do not think this will be an issue

chattownmocs
July 20th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I keep reading about this newspaper article out of Charlotte and these quotes by the SOCON claiming the games will be on "substations" I havent seen any link to this article so we can all decide, just vague non quoted interpretations.

chattownmocs
July 20th, 2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=205180299

streaming is free so you out of market guys can cancel the directv sportspack

i have read over many press releases and articles and I cannot find any that mention the subchannels so I have to believe it is on the Main PBS. The UTC press release lists the channels of the main Georgia PBS not the subchannels so again I do not think this will be an issue

That is the only GPB station that Chattanooga gets. It will definitley be on GPB here.

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Must not have looked too hard. Read it and weep.

"For the public systems, the deal has little downside.

Each has multiple digital channels, meaning the games wouldn't have to compete with mainstream offerings on the primary channel (UNC-TV plans to carry the games on its "Explorer" channel and SC ETV on its "South Carolina" channel). They have no investment in the production and if successful, it could become a new revenue stream in an era of rapidly dwindling financial support from state legislatures."

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/11/2446852/heads-up-big-bird-public-tv-fields.html#ixzz1Seyng1ju

How is that Shattown?

Mountaineer
July 20th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I keep reading about this newspaper article out of Charlotte and these quotes by the SOCON claiming the games will be on "substations" I havent seen any link to this article so we can all decide, just vague non quoted interpretations.

Heads up, Big Bird: Public TV fields football (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/11/2446852/heads-up-big-bird-public-tv-fields.html)

For the public systems, the deal has little downside.

Each has multiple digital channels, meaning the games wouldn't have to compete with mainstream offerings on the primary channel (UNC-TV plans to carry the games on its "Explorer" channel and SC ETV on its "South Carolina" channel). They have no investment in the production and if successful, it could become a new revenue stream in an era of rapidly dwindling financial support from state legislatures.

I didn't have the sports pack to get SportsSouth on DirecTV. DTV doesn't have the Explorer channel so I won't be able to watch the games at all without hooking up an antenna or streaming on the computer.

So yeah. Really, millions more will be able to watch when the games aren't even on the main PBS station? Instead they're going to be even further down the chain than that. Awesome.

Mountaineer
July 20th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Must not have looked too hard. Read it and weep.

Beat me to it.

I wonder how many NC residents get the Explorer channel? Straight up without having to go OTA or through other means? I don't.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 10:43 AM
GlassOnion, there is a tool that you can get to sync the audio from radio and a TV broadcast and I'm not positive but I'll bet it can be done for internet as well. I'll have to look into that unless someone already knows of a program?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Beat me to it.

I wonder how many NC residents get the Explorer channel? Straight up without having to go OTA or through other means? I don't.

You won't be able to get it Mounty? What would it take to make it so you can have it?

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Beat me to it.

Ha ha, I got the jump cause I've got nothing to do while I'm rendering plans here at work.

I get the EX on Charter Cable, but its way up in the 120s or something like that. And the pic quality sucks compared to my other channels. Ive got Time Warner at another house, but havent checked that yet.

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 10:52 AM
GlassOnion, there is a tool that you can get to sync the audio from radio and a TV broadcast and I'm not positive but I'll bet it can be done for internet as well. I'll have to look into that unless someone already knows of a program?

That'd be nice, I'd love to hear the App broadcast rather than the other schools' announcers. But if its synced with the feed and the feed screws up, am I out both?.

solohawk
July 20th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Interesting that it will be on the main Georgia PBS but on NC and SC subchannels. I wonder if this is set in stone because there is a huge difference in being on the main PBS v. being on a subchannel PBS for Cable/Satellite subscribers in terms of channel placement, notoriety, and availability. I would hope the office is able to secure placement on the main channel and I don't really understand why UNC TV and SCETV would want to place it on the subchannels

Mountaineer
July 20th, 2011, 10:54 AM
You won't be able to get it Mounty? What would it take to make it so you can have it?

Hell if I know. I guess we'll have to wait and see if this is actually true or not come October 1st.

Here's how I watched SoCon games on SportsSouth the last few years:
1. Turn on TV
2. Set channel to 649
3. Enjoy football

I only get the main PBS channel from Charlotte. No antenna and I'm not paying for an internet stream to watch the only two games I'm interested in (App @ Wofford and App @ Elon).

Mountaineer
July 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Interesting that it will be on the main Georgia PBS but on NC and SC subchannels.

Kinda takes the fun out your jumping-for-SoCon-joy first post huh? ;) Welcome to AGS by the way.

solohawk
July 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM
the streams will be free if the games do in fact end up on the subchannels...see utc press release i posted earlier

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Interesting that it will be on the main Georgia PBS but on NC and SC subchannels. I wonder if this is set in stone because there is a huge difference in being on the main PBS v. being on a subchannel PBS for Cable/Satellite subscribers in terms of channel placement, notoriety, and availability. I would hope the office is able to secure placement on the main channel and I don't really understand why UNC TV and SCETV would want to place it on the subchannels

Prolly because the under 8 year old crowd that generally watches PBS on Sat would throw a fit if their show was interrupted for Football. And Georgia is NOT committed to showing on a main channel yet. This is a win/win for the PBS systems, and a winlose/ lose for the Socon.

solohawk
July 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Haha no worries....i don't think it will end up on the sub channels in NC and SC but we will see. I have OTA so I really don't care if it is on 39-1 or 39-3 for me but for cable subscribers there is a big difference between being on channels 2-12 and being up in the 100's or 1000's somewhere as not everyone has a digital cable box. For satellite subscribers its worse because Dish and Directv don't carry subchannels for local stations which would mean losing satellite customers completely or asking them to go buy an antenna (never a good idea).

I think they will work it out and get main channel placement in NC and SC and if/when that does happen I will gladly resume my Socon jumping for joy :)

solohawk
July 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Prolly because the under 8 year old crowd that generally watches PBS on Sat would throw a fit if their show was interrupted for Football. And Georgia is NOT committed to showing on a main channel yet. This is a win/win for the PBS systems, and a winlose/ lose for the Socon.

maybe but the games are on at 3 and most main channel children's programming ends in the late morning early afternoon. i just can't think of programming that would draw better than a football game which is why the possibility of running it on a subchannel is surprising to me.

biggie
July 20th, 2011, 11:03 AM
If DirecTV doesn't get them I will be pissed. As much as DTV giving Sunday ticket away for free to new people and will try to charge me.

May need cable or ATT Uverse soon.

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I think they will work it out and get main channel placement in NC and SC and if/when that does happen I will gladly resume my Socon jumping for joy :)

I wish I had your optimism, but according to the the UNC side, they do not want to interrupt regular programming. That is their biggest "money maker" if you can call it that, and I highly doubt they'd want to lose 4 hours programming on a Saturday.

The Socon has no leg to stand on in any further negotiations, because like idiots, they signed a three year deal before the specifics were completed. PBS is now in the drivers seat, and they will go whatever direction they think is best for them, not the socon.

Mountaineer
July 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM
This is a win/win for the PBS systems, and a winlose/ lose for the Socon.

Yup, that's pretty much it.

The fact that all I had to do was turn on the TV to watch SoCon games previously has been lost it seems.

Now it's....we'll the games may be on subchannels..maybe not..it's gonna be tough for satellite customers..antennas?..OTA?..streaming?..they're still working on Tennessee and Alabama..etc. xoopsx

The Socon has no leg to stand on in any further negotiations, because like idiots, they signed a three year deal before the specifics were completed. PBS is now in the drivers seat, and they will go whatever direction they think is best for them, not the socon.

xbowx

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Yup, that's pretty much it.

The fact that all I had to do was turn on the TV to watch SoCon games previously has been lost it seems.

Now it's....we'll the games may be on subchannels..maybe not..it's gonna be tough for satellite customers..antennas?..OTA?..streaming?..they're still working on Tennessee and Alabama..etc. xoopsx

I feel your pain there. I used to have ESPN, ESPN2 and SportSouth within 4 consecutive channels, 32, 33, 35. It was perfect for watching 3 games at a time. Now I'm gonna be bumbling up in the 120s. At least I get it i guess.

On another note, the so many millions of viewers the Socon claims to be reaching, is that number realistic for a showing on those subchannel? I dont think so. There arent half that many that even have an antenna. The Socon in all likelyhood just lost "potential" viewers.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 11:17 AM
That'd be nice, I'd love to hear the App broadcast rather than the other schools' announcers. But if its synced with the feed and the feed screws up, am I out both?.

The one I was looking at a few years ago was for syncing regular TY to radio and I would imagine you would not lose both if there is an internet version because it would be two separate streams. You just delay the audio signal for the proper amount to match the video.

Most Griz fans would also rather listen to the radio broadcast while watching the video and that is how I heard about it. It was only about $30-40 bucks too. I will be a google seach on "sync radio/tv signals would get you there.

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM
The one I was looking at a few years ago was for syncing regular TY to radio and I would imagine you would not lose both if there is an internet version because it would be two separate streams. You just delay the audio signal for the proper amount to match the video.

Most Griz fans would also rather listen to the radio broadcast while watching the video and that is how I heard about it. It was only about $30-40 bucks too. I will be a google seach on "sync radio/tv signals would get you there.

Yeah, all I got was untrusted websites. I wonder if Best buy or someone like that has em. I'll be lookin now that I know they exist.

ElonPride
July 20th, 2011, 11:35 AM
On another note, the so many millions of viewers the Socon claims to be reaching, is that number realistic for a showing on those subchannel? I dont think so. There arent half that many that even have an antenna. The Socon in all likelyhood just lost "potential" viewers.

Yes, that is a realistic number.

Strictly OTA viewing in those states (including E Tenn, S Va, N Fl, E Ala) is in the millions.

OTA viewing is nice especially when there is a lot of market bleed. I have a family member in NC that gets around 65 stations OTA.

StorminASU
July 20th, 2011, 11:45 AM
What stations can you get ota? ESPN, NatGeo, etc?

ElonPride
July 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM
What stations can you get ota? ESPN, NatGeo, etc?

Sarcasm?

solohawk
July 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM
The charlotte article said the final contracts have not been signed so I would imagine that the subchannel situation for NC and SC is still negotiable

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Yeah, all I got was untrusted websites. I wonder if Best buy or someone like that has em. I'll be lookin now that I know they exist.

I'm pretty sure this was it. I never got an unsafe site from this and know that people have ordered the item. Don't do it if you have any reservations about ti though...

http://www.sportsyncradio.com/

Saint3333
July 20th, 2011, 12:01 PM
The charlotte article said the final contracts have not been signed so I would imagine that the subchannel situation for NC and SC is still negotiable

If this is the case DO NOT sign a three year deal.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM
If this is the case DO NOT sign a three year deal.

If it hasn't been signed and you guys (the customers) think there are some issues then why are you not contacting the SoCon & The PBS affiliate en masse to see that these issues are addressed?

Maybe the SoCon could use the feedback to negotiate so that it works out best for the final users. Somebody could get the relevant email addresses and post them on each and every team board and even this one to have final users let their needs be known couldn't ya?

Questions could probably posed and answered as well.

Seems a lot more productive than just *****ing about it if this is not a signed deal yet. The is SOME public power that is very rarely utilized with these boards.

Saint3333
July 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Already said my piece to members of ASU's athletic staff.

Another example of SoCon leadership. We no longer have a media day, while the CAA...

http://www.caafootballblog.com/2011/07/espn3-to-broadcast-2011-thecaafootball.html

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 01:00 PM
If it hasn't been signed and you guys (the customers) think there are some issues then why are you not contacting the SoCon & The PBS affiliate en masse to see that these issues are addressed?

Maybe the SoCon could use the feedback to negotiate so that it works out best for the final users. Somebody could get the relevant email addresses and post them on each and every team board and even this one to have final users let their needs be known couldn't ya?

Questions could probably posed and answered as well.

Seems a lot more productive than just *****ing about it if this is not a signed deal yet. The is SOME public power that is very rarely utilized with these boards.

Because I dont want the PBS deal at all. I did some digging, and uNC-TV appears to be claiming 2 million viewers a week.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Because I dont want the PBS deal at all. I did some digging, and uNC-TV appears to be claiming 2 million viewers a week.

Is someone else bidding on the rights and this is not a settled matter yet? Sorry I have not read the entire thread. I remember skelly saying a while back that App had to pay be televised or something?

If this is truning an expense into a revenue...no matter how little then it's a good thing and if PBS is the only one willing to do it then I don't see where what you want really even comes into play.

I don't know anything about this deal or if they even are paying the SoCon so these are legit questions. But if they are gonna do it, and you guys could put your two cents in as fans then I don't see ya why you wouldn't do it because whether you are poo-pooing everything the SoCon is doing right now or not because you want to move on it is the product you will have for at the least a couple of years it would appear.

biggie
July 20th, 2011, 01:54 PM
The SoCon was paying SportsSouth for the TV games. Not sure if it was split evenly between schools or based on how many games the school was shown.

SportsSouth apparently wanted to 'double' the fee. Seems now they will save the loss and possibly gain some money (maybe not much I would suspect).

I know PBS may have been about the only option, but it is not a good one (at least from the fans perspective).

WUTNDITWAA
July 20th, 2011, 01:59 PM

I'm guessing 1.5 million aren't in kindergarten yet, and the other 500,000 watch Lawrence Welk.

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Is someone else bidding on the rights and this is not a settled matter yet? Sorry I have not read the entire thread. I remember skelly saying a while back that App had to pay be televised or something?

If this is truning an expense into a revenue...no matter how little then it's a good thing and if PBS is the only one willing to do it then I don't see where what you want really even comes into play.

I don't know anything about this deal or if they even are paying the SoCon so these are legit questions. But if they are gonna do it, and you guys could put your two cents in as fans then I don't see ya why you wouldn't do it because whether you are poo-pooing everything the SoCon is doing right now or not because you want to move on it is the product you will have for at the least a couple of years it would appear.

The Socon was previously paying to be televised. The thing about free is that you get what you pay for. The fact that the Socon would sign a deal such as this shows how inept they actually are. Commissioner Imarino is on the record as saying "This is a leap of faith." To sign a three year deal, when you have no earthly idea how its going to work is stupid. He is throwing all the chips in, and the chips arent even his. The schools will end up paying for his gamble.

Why is Samford paying conference dues to be left out in the cold? Why is 90% of the state of Chattanooga not included? Now we're being relegated by UNC-TV to unc-ex, who's availability is far less then the figure quoted by the Socon. The UNC tv system may have that many potential viewers, but unc-ex does not. Sure its available OTA. Hell, I didnt even know unc-ex even existed, and I've lived in NC for over 20 years.

There are so many holes that it is ridiculous. And to announce the plan in the state it is, is gross incompetence.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 02:57 PM
The Socon was previously paying to be televised. The thing about free is that you get what you pay for. The fact that the Socon would sign a deal such as this shows how inept they actually are. Commissioner Imarino is on the record as saying "This is a leap of faith." To sign a three year deal, when you have no earthly idea how its going to work is stupid. He is throwing all the chips in, and the chips arent even his. The schools will end up paying for his gamble.

Why is Samford paying conference dues to be left out in the cold? Why is 90% of the state of Chattanooga not included? Now we're being relegated by UNC-TV to unc-ex, who's availability is far less then the figure quoted by the Socon. The UNC tv system may have that many potential viewers, but unc-ex does not. Sure its available OTA. Hell, I didnt even know unc-ex even existed, and I've lived in NC for over 20 years.

There are so many holes that it is ridiculous. And to announce the plan in the state it is, is gross incompetence.

What did the member schools say to having this fee jacked up? Was ASU all for doubling this to stay on Sports South? Somehow I'm not real sure if they were looking to pony up more coin but as a conference the SoCon was not. Money isn't flowing like it was so some decisions need to be made just as they would be made in your household if the same pressures were upon you.

Your kids would be *****ing up a storm that you had to get rid of a luxury like the awesome package cable deal and all but if you knew you needed to make that choice then it would be made. They might even call you a piss poor father for making such a terrible decision.

The BSC cancelled their media day last year because it seemed like an unwise expense for the conference considering the climate and although it had almost zero effect on the fans...they whined about it like something had stolen from them even if it was a fiscally responsible move.

There sems to be some very vocal folks in the South with no skin in the game as well.

chattownmocs
July 20th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Pretty sad referendum on App State football that their program doesn't even have enough interest in their own state for the main PBS channel to want to carry this, when 3 App State games are in the package.

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 04:53 PM
What did the member schools say to having this fee jacked up? Was ASU all for doubling this to stay on Sports South? Somehow I'm not real sure if they were looking to pony up more coin but as a conference the SoCon was not. Money isn't flowing like it was so some decisions need to be made just as they would be made in your household if the same pressures were upon you.

Your kids would be *****ing up a storm that you had to get rid of a luxury like the awesome package cable deal and all but if you knew you needed to make that choice then it would be made. They might even call you a piss poor father for making such a terrible decision.

The BSC cancelled their media day last year because it seemed like an unwise expense for the conference considering the climate and although it had almost zero effect on the fans...they whined about it like something had stolen from them even if it was a fiscally responsible move.

There sems to be some very vocal folks in the South with no skin in the game as well.

First of all, your analogy sucks, it is in bad taste, because I and the other fans complaining are not children. Second, we App fans are giving millions of dollars to the school. We are also paying on top of those millions for season tickets. I for one, and Im sure Im not the only one, would rather pay an extra $2 a ticket, and stay on Sports South. Thats all it would take. App fans paying $2 extra a ticket. Spread that over the entire conference, and it comes out to piss. This isnt some issue that arose from the schools. This came from the top.

GlassOnion
July 20th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Pretty sad referendum on App State football that their program doesn't even have enough interest in their own state for the main PBS channel to want to carry this, when 3 App State games are in the package.

And all Chattanooga could garner was city-wide coverage? Sad.

PS- youre an idiot.

chattownmocs
July 20th, 2011, 06:16 PM
And all Chattanooga could garner was city-wide coverage? Sad.

PS- youre an idiot.

Why would they need anymore? We aren't going to get national coverage, and we aren't going to get national. The sooner App State fans come to this realization they won't have to cry about the conference all the time.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 20th, 2011, 07:57 PM
First of all, your analogy sucks, it is in bad taste, because I and the other fans complaining are not children. Second, we App fans are giving millions of dollars to the school. We are also paying on top of those millions for season tickets. I for one, and Im sure Im not the only one, would rather pay an extra $2 a ticket, and stay on Sports South. Thats all it would take. App fans paying $2 extra a ticket. Spread that over the entire conference, and it comes out to piss. This isnt some issue that arose from the schools. This came from the top.

Ok look, I can understand you not liking "children" in the analogy so is subordinates better since you stated the authority angle as "from the top" which is all I was getting at in the first place?

So then, if the subordinates who have given money to go to games which has already been deemed a fair trade and so many are willing to give additional money to keep the broadcast where it is then why wouldn't they go for it?

If this deal is not yet in place and so many of you are upset by it then maybe the SoCon office just doesn't realize the effect it has on all of you and would say "hell, if you're willing to pay the freight on this then we'll sure as hell keep it with Sports South!"

The SoCon certainly appears to be trying to find ways to make ends meet by lowering expenses but if you were to step in and make the money a non issue then you may be hailed as a the hero that put his time and energy into saving the Sports South connection for the SoCon.

Are you sure the schools weren't consulted about this at all and this is something the conference office did on their own?

What exactly does the fact that ASU fans gave millions to ASU have to do with the conference office though? Don't all the schools chip in to have this union or does ASU pay extra which affects what you have given to ASU because you guys have more fans in the seats?

SoCon48
July 21st, 2011, 09:08 AM
I'm guessing 1.5 million aren't in kindergarten yet, and the other 500,000 watch Lawrence Welk.

+1

SoCon48
July 21st, 2011, 09:11 AM

2 out of 3 are on the road!!!!

Appaholic
August 3rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
They shoot that cannon after touch downs and victories, right? That explains why I've never heard it.

xlolx

Appaholic
August 3rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
Ok look, I can understand you not liking "children" in the analogy so is subordinates better since you stated the authority angle as "from the top" which is all I was getting at in the first place?

So then, if the subordinates who have given money to go to games which has already been deemed a fair trade and so many are willing to give additional money to keep the broadcast where it is then why wouldn't they go for it?

If this deal is not yet in place and so many of you are upset by it then maybe the SoCon office just doesn't realize the effect it has on all of you and would say "hell, if you're willing to pay the freight on this then we'll sure as hell keep it with Sports South!"

The SoCon certainly appears to be trying to find ways to make ends meet by lowering expenses but if you were to step in and make the money a non issue then you may be hailed as a the hero that put his time and energy into saving the Sports South connection for the SoCon.

Are you sure the schools weren't consulted about this at all and this is something the conference office did on their own?

What exactly does the fact that ASU fans gave millions to ASU have to do with the conference office though? Don't all the schools chip in to have this union or does ASU pay extra which affects what you have given to ASU because you guys have more fans in the seats?

Who's in charge of taking up the collection? Anyone?.....Hello, is this thing working?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2011, 01:15 PM
xlolx

Indeed, that was pretty good and I missed it the first time around.

TheRevSFA
August 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
.....so.....if SoCon games are on PBS, does that mean they might show Roots after the games? Sesame Street? NOVA?

SpiritCymbal
August 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
.....so.....if SoCon games are on PBS, does that mean they might show Roots after the games? Sesame Street? NOVA?

If you call in and pledge during halftime you'll get a free copy of "Live at Red Rocks: John Tesh". Don't delay!

eagle07
August 3rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
Im pretty sure the two older puppets that are always sitting in the balcony will be doing the play by play. Oscar will pop out of watercooler to do sideline commentary

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Im pretty sure the two older puppets that are always sitting in the balcony will be doing the play by play. Oscar will pop out of watercooler to do sideline commentary

I would never stop watching.