PDA

View Full Version : Father of Panthers' Edwards Convicted of Murder .

Appaholic
June 24th, 2011, 11:46 AM
GREENWOOD, S.C. (AP) -- The father of Carolina Panthers receiver Armanti Edwards has been convicted of murder in South Carolina.

Prosecutors say 63-year-old Freddie Edwards of Greenwood was sentenced Thursday to 30 years in prison after being convicted of murder in the shooting death of a pan during a poker game. He also was convicted of possession of a gun during a violent crime.

George Freeman was shot to death in Edwards' home in July 2005.

Edwards had been convicted in 2006, but the conviction was overturned because jurors were not given the option of finding Edwards guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

Armanti Edwards played football for Greenwood High and Appalachian State before being drafted by the Panthers last year.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Father-of-Panthers-Edwards-convicted-of-murder-124482664.html

OL FU
June 24th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I never realized this was going on. I hate it for Armanti.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 24th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I never realized this was going on. I hate it for Armanti.

No doubt. Good kid that's been a great rep of his program and the division so you hate to see him have his name sullied by something like this.

Mountaineer
June 24th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Here's a story in the NY Times from 2008 that talks about his father, the murder, etc.:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/30/sports/ncaafootball/30edwards.html

Had no idea he was retried, and it didn't seem to get any better this time around. It's unfortunate for everyone involved. :(

whoanellie
June 24th, 2011, 08:03 PM
a horrible and regretable situation for everyone involved. He's certain not to be the first athlete w/ a checkered family past.
Nor the last, I'm sure.

Mountaineer
June 24th, 2011, 08:15 PM
He's certain not to be the first athlete w/ a checkered family past.

True that. I'm glad AE, by all accounts, has turned out to be a fine human being.

Hood
August 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah if Barn Burning taught us anything, you can't fault a child for his or her's father's misdeeds. Armanti has a bright future and I hope he learns from his dad's mistake.

appfan2008
August 16th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I remember hearing stories about this when he was a student and just feeling bad for AE that his dad couldnt come see him play... I remember hearing his dad sometimes was able to watch on tv in prison