PDA

View Full Version : Preseason FCS Top 10

Milktruck74
May 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Two questions here,

1. Who will be the PreSeason top ten?

2. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the Top Ten?

Go ahead and call it now (so you can say you did)....

Also, Which 2010 Playoff teams won't make the cut in 2011?

Milktruck74
May 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
No specific order, but my top ten is

App St.
UD
GSU
Woffy
SFA
UNI
NDSU
Nova
EWU
JMU

Maybe W&M...

Biggest Disappointment is EWU or Nova.... Just a guess.

Biggest Shocker EWU doesn't make playoffs.... again, Just a guess.

tribefan40
May 14th, 2011, 04:01 PM
W&M
App St.
UDel
GSU
Wofford
Nova
Chattanooga
NDSU
EWU
Montana St.

Biggest Disappointment is Nova.

Biggest Shocker UDel doesn't make the playoffs

bojeta
May 14th, 2011, 05:18 PM
No specific order either:
Cal Poly
Montana
Eastern WA
Montana St
Wofford
App St
Georgia Southern
North Dakota State
Sac State
William & Mary

Obviously I'm West biased and as they start to beat each other, it will be nearly impossible for all of them to be ranked so high.

darell1976
May 14th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Top 10 not in any order:

Montana St
E Washington
Northern Iowa
NDSU
Jacksonville St
App St
Delaware
Cal Poly Represent the GWFC well!!!xhurrayx
Liberty
South Carolina St

NDSU: biggest disappointment/won't make playoffs

Milktruck74
May 14th, 2011, 05:35 PM
W&M
App St.
UDel
GSU
Wofford
Nova
Chattanooga
NDSU
EWU
Montana St.

Biggest Disappointment is Nova.

Biggest Shocker UDel doesn't make the playoffs

Thanks for the Vote Tribe...We are Better, and MIGHT get there sometime during the season, but I cant see us being Preseason top 10.

Grizzaholic
May 14th, 2011, 05:47 PM
1) NDSU
2-10) other people

NDSU...missing the playoffs and getting smoked in conference

Montana State winning it all.

eaglewraith
May 14th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Top 10 not in any order:

Montana St
E Washington
Northern Iowa
NDSU
Jacksonville St
App St
Delaware
Cal Poly Represent the GWFC well!!!xhurrayx
Liberty
South Carolina St

NDSU: biggest disappointment/won't make playoffs

Wtf are you smoking? SC State? Cal Poly? Liberty? UNI? Two of those teams finished in the 20's and the other were 16 and 19. That's a hell of a jump to justify top 10. Also no inclusion of Georgia Southern with a top 5 finish in the nation last year and returning all but 2 starters.

Pard4Life
May 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Lehigh won't make the playoffs again.

c15683
May 14th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Lafayette will go 2-9 again.

Best Regards,
Lehigh University
Football 1978

WrenFGun
May 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Nova? Top 10? Minus Whitney, Sczcur, Ilajana and some notable D-men? That seems like a major reach.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 14th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Nova? Top 10? Minus Whitney, Sczcur, Ilajana and some notable D-men? That seems like a major reach.

I completely agree.

I can't believe so many people had them in the top 10. Most 'Nova fans would be a happy with just making the playoffs this year imo.

Milktruck74
May 14th, 2011, 08:01 PM

I think they will get Preseason top 10, on name recognition and last years performance (voters aren't always the brightest folks), but they won't be there in November.

GATA
May 14th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Georgia Southern will start the season off as a top 10 team, but I'm pretty confident we won't finish there. We're the most overhyped team in the country. Last year's playoff run was great (I truly enjoyed it), but it was a fluke.

The reality is: Georgia Southern was a 7-4 team that ONLY made the playoffs because the field expanded...any other year and we would have missed the playoffs...AGAIN.

With that being said...once we got the invite, we got hot at the right time and damn near made it to the championship game. However, that doesn't mean we're a legit top 10 team. Our playoff run last year was much like the unexpected Superbowl appearance of the Arizona Cardinals a few years back. they were a mediocre team at best that got hot at the right time...the next year they were back to being the Arizona Cardinals.

I expect we'll play much like we did last year...I personally think we'll have another 7-4 year and miss the playoffs because one of our wins is against a DII team.

At least the program is headed back in the right direction...our fans have been fooled into thinking we're already "back" though.

R3TRO
May 14th, 2011, 09:21 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/I_see_what_you_did_there_cat_RE_More_funnies_for_y ou_all-s480x360-106842.jpg
Georgia Southern will start the season off as a top 10 team, but I'm pretty confident we won't finish there. We're the most overhyped team in the country. Last year's playoff run was great (I truly enjoyed it), but it was a fluke.

The reality is: Georgia Southern was a 7-4 team that ONLY made the playoffs because the field expanded...any other year and we would have missed the playoffs...AGAIN.

With that being said...once we got the invite, we got hot at the right time and damn near made it to the championship game. However, that doesn't mean we're a legit top 10 team. Our playoff run last year was much like the unexpected Superbowl appearance of the Arizona Cardinals a few years back. they were a mediocre team at best that got hot at the right time...the next year they were back to being the Arizona Cardinals.

I expect we'll play much like we did last year...I personally think we'll have another 7-4 year and miss the playoffs because one of our wins is against a DII team.

At least the program is headed back in the right direction...our fans have been fooled into thinking we're already "back" though.

GATA
May 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/I_see_what_you_did_there_cat_RE_More_funnies_for_y ou_all-s480x360-106842.jpg

It's the truth my friend...I'm not a sandbagger. Our fans have been saying we're "back" since 2007...

darell1976
May 14th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Wtf are you smoking? SC State? Cal Poly? Liberty? UNI? Two of those teams finished in the 20's and the other were 16 and 19. That's a hell of a jump to justify top 10. Also no inclusion of Georgia Southern with a top 5 finish in the nation last year and returning all but 2 starters.

Its a preseason top 10 by a FCS fan...who cares!!! I could have put all 5 GWFC teams and 5 Ivy League teams. Big deal its not offical or anything.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 14th, 2011, 10:42 PM

Based on what? They'll be the favorite. Lehigh will still have a solid shot at an at large if they fail to win the auto bid.

eaglewraith
May 14th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Its a preseason top 10 by a FCS fan...who cares!!! I could have put all 5 GWFC teams and 5 Ivy League teams. Big deal its not offical or anything.

It just shows you don't know what you're talking about.

seantaylor
May 15th, 2011, 12:55 AM
1. GSU
2. Bill and his beotch
3. Montana State
4. EWU
5. Appy
6. Woffy
7. Montana
8. Sam Houston State
9. Nova
10.McNeese

Tribe4SF
May 15th, 2011, 06:43 AM
If voters in preseason polls are paying any attention they'll know that Nova appears to be in full rebuilding mode. They had less than 50 guys on their spring roster, and even Talley is talking about how many true freshmen are going to have to contribute. To add to their losses from last year, folks on their board report that Chidozie Ekweozor (two-year OT starter expected to take over the blind side for Ijalana) is lost for the season with a knee injury. They'll be missing 13 of their starters (13 good ones), and they lack depth everywhere but WR, especially on the o-line. My guess is that the CAA media day poll will have them in the bottom half of the conference. W&M, UD and UNH look like the top contenders for the league, with JMU and URI (yes, URI) as the possible surprises.

citdog
May 15th, 2011, 07:24 AM
milktruck probably doesn't know that by saying that FCS Top 25 voters aren't very smart he is insulting quite a few on this site as AGS has a Top 25 Poll that is widely respected. Perhaps next season he may even be one of them and if so then his statement will be quite valid indeed.

Milktruck74
May 15th, 2011, 08:09 AM
milktruck probably doesn't know that by saying that FCS Top 25 voters aren't very smart he is insulting quite a few on this site as AGS has a Top 25 Poll that is widely respected. Perhaps next season he may even be one of them and if so then his statement will be quite valid indeed.

Citdog, I agree that the AGS poll is the most informed poll in FCS, but to my point.....Jacksonville (not Jax State) was ranked last year.... Not ALL, but MANY voters are clueless. I'm sure your Preseason top 10 from last year was still intact after the NC.

Redbirdz
May 15th, 2011, 10:32 AM
They probably thought Jacksonville was Jacksonville State.

smallcollegefbfan
May 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I completely agree.

I can't believe so many people had them in the top 10. Most 'Nova fans would be a happy with just making the playoffs this year imo.

To be honest I'm not sure I will put a CAA team in my preseason top 5 and I wouldn't put Nova higher than 13 or 14 with all of their losses. They have some young talent though and I do beleive they will be back in the top 5 in 2013 or 2014, if they stick around.

Pard4Life
May 15th, 2011, 11:24 AM
and Lafayette will go another season without a win again

And Princeton will enter another season knowing it's over before it started. You are not awarded a national title for just showing up anymore ya know. Welcome to the 90th year of pointless football.

Pard4Life
May 15th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Based on what? They'll be the favorite. Lehigh will still have a solid shot at an at large if they fail to win the auto bid.

Are you serious? You are going to beat UNH and Liberty? Ha, ok. You are already a 21 point underdog.

Lehigh loses 3 starting OL, 2 of their 3 DL, your best LB, your entire secondary. Your offense from last year wasn't that great and with the OL needing to be rebuilt it will likely take time to mature.

The polls say one thing but reality says another.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 15th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Are you serious? You are going to beat UNH and Liberty? Ha, ok. You are already a 21 point underdog.

Lehigh loses 3 starting OL, 2 of their 3 DL, your best LB, your entire secondary. Your offense from last year wasn't that great and with the OL needing to be rebuilt it will likely take time to mature.

The polls say one thing but reality says another.

I think you're giving Liberty too much credit. If nothing else that game should be about a pick'em. The Flames were solid but not spectacular last season.

I believe Lehigh only loses two OL. Schauder is returning from a medical redshirt. Also, Groome has already been named by the TSN as one of the top LB's in the country. I wouldn't be surprised if Spadola makes the WR list.

tribefan40
May 15th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I think you're giving Liberty too much credit. If nothing else that game should be about a pick'em. The Flames were solid but not spectacular last season.

I believe Lehigh only loses two OL. Schauder is returning from a medical redshirt. Also, Groome has already been named by the TSN as one of the top LB's in the country. I wouldn't be surprised if Spadola makes the WR list.

Overlook Liberty at your own peril. That is not a program I would want as an OOC on the schedule right now.

Pard4Life
May 15th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Right, saw them as an OOC in 2008 and thought, "oh, easy OOC game. Schedule Marist, save us a trip." Wrong. More we learned, less I thought we'd win. Though we did win, it wasn't easy. Real first-class program and competition.

bojeta
May 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Overlook Liberty at your own peril. That is not a program I would want as an OOC on the schedule right now.

Ya, I'd have to agree with this. Liberty is on the rise and I suspect will be a probable winner in more games than not this year. Gotta love all the speculation. Sure makes the lead up to the season interesting, but let's face it... this coming season is one big question mark. Way too many strong teams to predict the top ten much less the final top ten now. Still, I through my best guess in the pot just for fun.

bojeta
May 15th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Ya, I'd have to agree with this. Liberty is on the rise and I suspect will be a probable winner in more games than not this year. Gotta love all the speculation. Sure makes the lead up to the season interesting, but let's face it... this coming season is one big question mark. Way too many strong teams to predict the top ten much less the final top ten now. Still, I through my best guess in the pot just for fun.

Haha.. I sounded a bit like my guide on the Big Horn River there. He'd say "There's pretty much usually fish there sometimes."

bisonwest
May 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM
1. GSU
2. Delaware
3. App. St.
4. NDSU
5. Nova
6. Montana St.
7. UNI
8. Montana
9. EWU
10. William & Mary

DJKyR0
May 15th, 2011, 06:18 PM
1. Delaware
2. App State
3. EWU
4. GSoU
5. NDSU
6. UNI
7. Montana State - my pick to win the Big Sky
8. 'Nova
9. W&MU
10. Montana, because they are Montana

TheValleyRaider
May 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM

LU's going to need a stronger performance from the rest of the League to pick up an at-large. They'll be in the hunt with an expanded League, but their PL competition (Colgate or HC, I think) would have to put together a strong season while winning the League to make Lehigh a compelling at-large choice

pike51
May 15th, 2011, 07:29 PM
How about:

1. Western Carolina
2. Citadel
3. Lehigh
4. Georgia State
5. VMI
6. Savannah State
7. Colgate
8. UNH
9. Bethune Cookman
10. Chattanooga

Biggest letdown... Chatty will fall to Western Carolina and the school, out of pure shame and embarrassment will remove the program from existence. They will change the mascot of the school to the "Lettermen" and all toilets in the city will be referred to as Mocs. The stadium will be converted into a no kill animal shelter where the ex-cheerleaders will live out the remainder of their lives hoping to be adopted by a loving family with a large lawn. The history of Mocs football will be stricken from the record books. Quidittch will become the hottest new sport on campus with the Mocs, ahem, Lettermen challenging Bill & Gary for the 2012 championship trophy!

Grizzaholic
May 15th, 2011, 07:31 PM
How about:

1. Western Carolina
2. Citadel
3. Lehigh
4. Georgia State
5. VMI
6. Savannah State
7. Colgate
8. UNH
9. Bethune Cookman
10. Chattanooga

Biggest letdown... Chatty will fall to Western Carolina and the school, out of pure shame and embarrassment will remove the program from existence. They will change the mascot of the school to the "Lettermen" and all toilets in the city will be referred to as Mocs. The stadium will be converted into a no kill animal shelter where the ex-cheerleaders will live out the remainder of their lives hoping to be adopted by a loving family with a large lawn. The history of Mocs football will be stricken from the record books. Quidittch will become the hottest new sport on campus with the Mocs challenging Bill & Gary for the 2012 championship trophy!

And most people from NDSU just killed themselves.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 15th, 2011, 10:41 PM
LU's going to need a stronger performance from the rest of the League to pick up an at-large. They'll be in the hunt with an expanded League, but their PL competition (Colgate or HC, I think) would have to put together a strong season while winning the League to make Lehigh a compelling at-large choice

Lehigh's OOC is good enough that if they could manage a split with Liberty and UNH they would have a very good shot. The PL was within a Pierce int of getting an at large in '09. As much as we like to pick on the league, and a lot of its fair, it does pretty well against non-CAA teams. Personally, i think Lehigh and Colgate have the potential to be quite good. Lehigh's biggest issues are the secondary and special teams imo.

I believe most reasonable polls will have the Hawks somewhere between 13-20. Colgate could easily be a Top 25 preseason team as well. Eachus will likely bring Gate quality pub throughout the year.

Lafayette will be no where near 2-9 and HC will be a 6-5/7-4 type team imo.

LegalGaSouthernEagle
May 15th, 2011, 11:53 PM
1. GSU
2. Bill and his beotch
3. Montana State
4. EWU
5. Appy
6. Woffy
7. Montana
8. Sam Houston State
9. Nova
10.McNeese I agree with this but I'd take W&M and wofford out for UD and North Dakota State

LegalGaSouthernEagle
May 16th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Not Murray State and Hatcher's cousins.

GannonFan
May 16th, 2011, 09:20 AM
You guys do realize that EWU brings back a whole bunch and will probably be the runaway preseason favorite, right?

1. EWU
2. App St
3. UD
4. GSU
5. W&M
6. Montana
7. UNH
8. UNI
9. Wofford
10. NDSU

blueballs
May 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM
You guys do realize that EWU brings back a whole bunch and will probably be the runaway preseason favorite, right?

1. EWU
2. App St
3. UD
4. GSU
5. W&M
6. Montana
7. UNH
8. UNI
9. Wofford
10. NDSU

That looks about right...

NHwildEcat
May 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM

1. EWU
2. App St
3. UD
4. GSU
5. W&M
6. Montana
7. UNH
8. UNI
9. Wofford
10. NDSU

This is the best one I have seen...you're right...the defending champs deserve some credit here..and very few people think highly enough of UNH for them to crack the top 10?...strange considering the number of returning players on offense- which IMO was the only reason we didn't make it to the title game against EWU!

CrazyCat
May 16th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Could those who have Montana in the top 10 and not MSU provide a little explanation as to why. No Smack . I'd probably have them from 10-15 in preseason .

GannonFan
May 16th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Could those who have Montana in the top 10 and not MSU provide a little explanation as to why. No Smack . I'd probably have them from 10-15 in preseason .

Name recognition. That's about it. There's no doubt that being a top program for more than a decade will tend to do that. No offense to Montana St, but people will fall back on what they knew, especially in preseason polls, and will look past one year of results. And really, losing at home to NDSU in the playoffs last year, and losing by a huge margin, didn't leave people with a warm and fuzzy for Montana St this year.

CrazyCat
May 16th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks for giving your opinion. I guess there are some that will look past a whole year compared to one bad quarter.

Walkon79
May 16th, 2011, 01:34 PM

1. EWU
2. App St
3. UD
4. GSU
5. W&M
6. Montana
7. UNH
8. UNI
9. Wofford
10. NDSU

The Griz don't have a clue yet at quarterback for next year. I would swap out Montana for Montana State and move NDSU up to at least a top 5 pick. Not to say that the Grizzlies won't be there in the end, but I wouldn't have them in my top ten to start. EWU has a ton of returning talent, but also lost probably the best linebacker in FCS to graduation and one of the best RB's. All that being said I've got no problem with EWU as preseason #1, based on Bo Levi Mitchell and a really good receiving corp.

Squealofthepig
May 16th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I'll have MSU somewhere in the top ten - not sure where. Haven't done all my graduation/returning starters research yet, but given the Cats' success last year and the explosiveness of Denarius McGhee, I can't see not having them in the top ten.

I'm not sure where I'll have Montana - top twenty five, probably, but but more the 18-25 range. Personnel doesn't worry me as much as Pflugrad - I have faith in him, and want to say last year is a fluke, but until we see more success on the field, the Griz will have to win to move up in my poll.

jstclmet
May 16th, 2011, 02:01 PM

1. EWU
2. App St
3. UD xeyebrowx
4. GSU
5. W&M xeyebrowx
6. Montana xeyebrowx
7. UNH xeyebrowx
8. UNI
9. Wofford
10. NDSU

UD #3 really??? It appears you're also giving them 1st place in the CAA xeyebrowx
I don't have a problem with the Tribe @ #5, but behind UD?? xeyebrowx
Name recognition might get Montana in the top 20, but not in the top 10.
I like a whole lot of things about UNH, but I just don't see them that high.

UD was in the NC game last year, and for that reason alone, they may get top 10 votes. But really, they're an 11 or 12 team, right behind UNH.

Top 10 should probably be;
1. EWU
2. GSU
3. W&M
4. MT State
5. ASU
6. SFA
7. NDSU
8. BC
9. J'ville St.
10.UNH

Red & Black
May 16th, 2011, 02:26 PM
1. EWU
2. App St
3. W & M
4. GSU
5. UD
6. Montana State
7. New Hampshire
8. UNI
9. Wofford
10. JMU

Biggest surprise will be NDSU going 6-5 and not making the playoffs after their nice run in 2010.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
1. EWU
2. GSU
3. W&M
4. ASU
5. Wofford
6. NDSU
7. MSU
8. UD
9. UNI
10. UNH

2010 Playoff Teams that don't make it in 2011: SFA, Villanova, SEMO, CCU, RMU, and maybe NDSU. Depends on the QB play.

89Hen
May 16th, 2011, 02:39 PM
1. EWU
What do you return?

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
What do you return?

Almost everyone, sans LB JC Sherritt, DT Tyler Jolley, WR Ashton Gant, RG Nikolai Myers, RB Taiwan Jones, and our starting CBs. 15 starters (8 offense, 7 defense, plus our kicker [although I wish we had lost him... he sucks)]

We also gain DT Andru Pulu from UW (same size as Renard), RB Demitrius Bronson from UW, LB Jarred Walker from WSU, and a very talented recruiting class from 2010.

GannonFan
May 16th, 2011, 03:00 PM
UD #3 really??? It appears you're also giving them 1st place in the CAA xeyebrowx

UD was in the NC game last year, and for that reason alone, they may get top 10 votes. But really, they're an 11 or 12 team, right behind UNH.

1. EWU
2. GSU
3. W&M
4. MT State
5. ASU
6. SFA
7. NDSU
8. BC
9. J'ville St.
10.UNH

Like I said before, W&M may end up being the preseason fave in the CAA, but it's not going to be by heads and shoulders over UD and UNH. Last year nova was by a large margin the CAA fave and they ended up finishing 4th. And why would you have to put UNH ahead of UD? UNH lost a lot from that defense that was the reason why they made the quarters again last year. Schedule-wise too, UD hosts W&M and misses UNH this year while W&M is playing at UD and hosting UNH. Just saying.

89Hen
May 16th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Almost everyone, sans LB JC Sherritt, DT Tyler Jolley, WR Ashton Gant, RG Nikolai Myers, RB Taiwan Jones, and our starting CBs. 15 starters (8 offense, 7 defense, plus our kicker [although I wish we had lost him... he sucks)]

We also gain DT Andru Pulu from UW (same size as Renard), RB Demitrius Bronson from UW, LB Jarred Walker from WSU, and a very talented recruiting class from 2010.
And an undefeated red carpet.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 03:34 PM
And an undefeated red carpet.

xlolx xnodx Good call.

LEHIGH61
May 16th, 2011, 06:21 PM

Give it up. That 4 year old picture is ridiculous.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 16th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Give it up. That 4 year old picture is ridiculous.

Four? Try six....

He's just upset because Lafayette posted their 5th 8+ loss season in the last 14 years while Lehigh is coming up their 5th 10+ win season in the same time frame.

Lafayette has one nine win season, '81, in 70 years. Lehigh has seven in the last 20.

ValleyChamp
May 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM

"almost everyone", (not counting the 8 guys we do lose)

lol

HailSzczur
May 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I think they will get Preseason top 10, on name recognition and last years performance (voters aren't always the brightest folks), but they won't be there in November.

Top 10 is a stretch, all the recognizable names on the team are gone. And as far as last year performance we struggled for awhile without Szczur, thats only a taste of what it will be like this year without our QB, backfield, and left side of our O-line.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 16th, 2011, 07:36 PM
"almost everyone", (not counting the 8 guys we do lose)

lol

Almost everyone who played a big part in our NC season last year. xcoffeex Sherritt, Jones, and Jolley are the biggest losses, however we've replaced them with transfers from UW and WSU.

State Line Liquors
May 16th, 2011, 07:47 PM

1. EWU
2. GSU
3. W&M
4. MT State
5. ASU
6. SFA
7. NDSU
8. BC
9. J'ville St.
10.UNH

Is this opinion of UNH over UD based upon anything other than a gut feeling and a desire to throw a little dirt on UD? Seriously, can we put this one in the attic next to the window unit air conditioners and the inexplicable Maine predictions from 2010?

Tribal
May 16th, 2011, 09:26 PM
(Not rank-ordered)

W&M
App St.
UDel
GSU
Wofford
UNH
Montana
SFA
EWU
Montana St.

Biggest Disappointment: Villanova.

Biggest Shocker: Montana finishes 5th in the BSC.

Update: A lot has to be said for difficulty of schedule and WHERE each team plays their closest competitors. For example, the '10 Tribe-Hens game may have been very different had they played at the Tub. SFA doesn't play the level of competition that CAA, SoCon, and BSC teams play. That doesn't mean SFA isn't as good, they just have weaker competition IMO.

LegalGaSouthernEagle
May 16th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Why does W&M get so many votes? Soft team.

ncbears
May 17th, 2011, 12:01 AM
(Not rank-ordered)

W&M
App St.
UDel
GSU
Wofford
UNH
Montana
SFA
EWU
Montana St.

Biggest Disappointment: Villanova.

Biggest Shocker: Montana finishes 5th in the BSC.

Update: A lot has to be said for difficulty of schedule and WHERE each team plays their closest competitors. For example, the '10 Tribe-Hens game may have been very different had they played at the Tub. SFA doesn't play the level of competition that CAA, SoCon, and BSC teams play. That doesn't mean SFA isn't as good, they just have weaker competition IMO.

I don't see a top 3 for Montana in the conference, but maybe not as far as 5.

Tribe4SF
May 17th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Why does W&M get so many votes? Soft team.

An improved team that had wins over Delaware, Villanova, and UNH, and played a whale of a game at UNC might have something to do with it. Performance against the Eagles was extremely disappointing, and "soft" might better be stated as "confused", but I can understand your view. I can assure you that our team is fully aware of the impression they left after that game, and the leadership will not let them forget it.

GannonFan
May 17th, 2011, 08:11 AM
An improved team that had wins over Delaware, Villanova, and UNH, and played a whale of a game at UNC might have something to do with it. Performance against the Eagles was extremely disappointing, and "soft" might better be stated as "confused", but I can understand your view. I can assure you that our team is fully aware of the impression they left after that game, and the leadership will not let them forget it.

Well, the JMU game didn't help the image either. Fortunately for W&M, they shouldn't face a lot of triple option in the CAA this year - although JMU may be forced to run the single wing again so there's something for W&M to fear. xlolx

jstclmet
May 17th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Is this opinion of UNH over UD based upon anything other than a gut feeling and a desire to throw a little dirt on UD? Seriously, can we put this one in the attic next to the window unit air conditioners and the inexplicable Maine predictions from 2010?

How is considering UD a top 20 team (closer to 11 or 12) throwing dirt on them???
How/Why is considering UNH (IMO) a little better than UD, throwing dirt on UD???

Put UD in any other conference, and they might not be considered as high as 11 or 12. Could UD finish in the top 3 of the Big Sky, SOCON, MVC, or OVC??? I don't know, but they might finish as high as 3rd in the CAA pending how well URI and others plays in 2011.

89Hen
May 17th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Put UD in any other conference, and they might not be considered as high as 11 or 12. Could UD finish in the top 3 of the Big Sky, SOCON, MVC, or OVC??? I don't know, but they might finish as high as 3rd in the CAA pending how well URI and others plays in 2011.

Can somebody translate?

jstclmet
May 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Can somebody translate?

1. There may be 10 or 11 teams in the country that are better than UD.
2. The 3rd place team in each of the aforementioned conferences might not get 11th or 12th place consideration.
3. Finishing 3rd in the CAA can get your team a top 12 ranking.

State Line Liquors
May 17th, 2011, 10:07 AM
How is considering UD a top 20 team (closer to 11 or 12) throwing dirt on them???
How/Why is considering UNH (IMO) a little better than UD, throwing dirt on UD???

Normally if one is going to take a stand on a topic (say why UD deserves to be just behind UNH in arbitrary rankings), they might actually qualify the opinion by mentioning that a passing team like UNH returns their all conference dual threat QB from last year, or returns 4 of their 6 wide receivers on their 2 deep, or returns 5 out of 6 from their 2 deep at safety, or maybe even simply that they beat UD last year in the playoffs, but you didn't. But we both have done our research, so we know all those things I mentioned above are wrong.

If one doesn't qualify their opinion, and it's left open for interpretation, the reader sometimes has to rely on past opinions of the writer.

Because of all the 'facts', I mentioned above, I would put UD just in front of UNH. But I'd put them behind W&M, who is not quite the odds on favorite that eventual 3rd place Nova was last year.

xtwocentsx

Also, please keep in mind that 4-4 (5-6) Rhode Island who you're now intimating is the up and comer (ala Maine 2010), that finished in the bottom half of the league in just about every measurable statistic besides punting, kick off returns & rushing defense, lost defensive line coach Rob Nevaiser to Stony Brook (DC).

GannonFan
May 17th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Can somebody translate?

It's real hard to translate that - heck, he just said UD may not be able to finish in the top 3 of the OVC - I put that into Google translator and the only thing that came back was "crazy". Go figure. xoopsx

jstclmet
May 17th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Normally if one is going to take a stand on a topic (say why UD deserves to be just behind UNH in arbitrary rankings), they might actually qualify the opinion by mentioning that a passing team like UNH returns their all conference dual threat QB from last year, or returns 4 of their 6 wide receivers on their 2 deep, or returns 5 out of 6 from their 2 deep at safety, or maybe even simply that they beat UD last year in the playoffs, but you didn't. But we both have done our research, so we know all those things I mentioned above are wrong.

If one doesn't qualify their opinion, and it's left open for interpretation, the reader sometimes has to rely on past opinions of the writer.

Because of all the 'facts', I mentioned above, I would put UD just in front of UNH. But I'd put them behind W&M, who is not quite the odds on favorite that eventual 3rd place Nova was last year.

xtwocentsx

Also, please keep in mind that 4-4 (5-6) Rhode Island who you're now intimating is the up and comer (ala Maine 2010), that finished in the bottom half of the league in just about every measurable statistic besides punting, kick off returns & rushing defense, lost defensive line coach Rob Nevaiser to Stony Brook (DC).

Let him who is amongst us that has never been wrong cast the first stone.....

Yes, I was wrong about Maine. When I speak to Coach Cosgrove, I'll certainly ask what went wrong in 2010.

Players and coaches that teams have lost, and who's returning will be in each school's respective media guides. When I speak with the head coaches, I'll try to ascertain from them what the media guides don't tell us.

I try to be brief in these forums. All the details you ask for you'll find in the columns when they come out.

As for my nudge of UNH over UD, both team have similar losses and similar personnel returning. IMO UNH gets more out of it's personnel regardless of talent, whereas UD is largely talent dependent. There's a fine line between talent underperforming and getting outcoached, and in UD's losses over the past several years, you have to point to one or both.

GannonFan
May 17th, 2011, 11:05 AM
There's a fine line between talent underperforming and getting outcoached, and in UD's losses over the past several years, you have to point to one or both.

No offense, but that's a cop out statement - you can look at most any teams and their losses are going to come down to underperforming or being outcoached. That's about as generic of a statement as they come.

jstclmet
May 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM
No offense, but that's a cop out statement - you can look at most any teams and their losses are going to come down to underperforming or being outcoached. That's about as generic of a statement as they come.

Some times the other team is just flat out better.

In the NC game, was EWU better, did UD under perform, or was UD out coached???
In the Nova game, ask yourself the same questions. Same for the Tribe game.

Looking at games UD won in 2010, which would you say were won on talent alone, and which games were won because the UD coaching staff out coached the opponeint??

UD vs. UR. IMO UD won on talent.
UD vs. URI, IMO both
UD vs. JMU both
UD vs. UMass both
UD vs. GSU Talent.

bjtheflamesfan
May 17th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Here are my top 10: (not in order of how Id vote necessarily)

1. Appalachian State
2. Eastern Washington
3. Montana
4. William and Mary
5. Delaware
6. North Dakota State
7. Wofford
8. Georgia Southern
9. Montana State
10. Stephen F. Austin

Liberty is a team to look out for but I think they are more a top 15 team at this point. Wins in the first three games (NC State, Robert Morris and JMU) probably put them in the top 10 IMO

GannonFan
May 17th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Looking at games UD won in 2010, which would you say were won on talent alone, and which games were won because the UD coaching staff out coached the opponeint??

UD vs. URI, IMO both
UD vs. JMU both
UD vs. UMass both
UD vs. GSU Talent.

Come on man, nothing is just on talent alone. If you want to get technical, there's gameday coaching and all the coaching that goes into preparing a team, both before the season and in the week leading up to the game. Trying to tell me that UD only beat GSU on talent alone in the natl semis is just silly, and it completely ignores the amount of preparation and gameplanning that went into preparing for an offense that UD rarely sees.

Most things are always a combination of all three - talent, which team under/over performed, and coaching (gameday and the lead up to the game). Trying to pinpoint one aspect is silly - you're guessing at it. And that's what makes your throwaway statement in the prior post a generic throwaway statement - it doesn't amount to or mean anything. It's babble. UD lost to EWU for a whole host of reasons - UD didn't press their advantage in the first half, UD dropped a lot of balls and missed blocks, UD played conservative late in the game, Guisti blew his knee out on a kick return, EWU played a great second half, the EWU QB made a lot of great throws late, and the 4th and 1 stop by UD was negated by bad chain management. And there's about another 10-20 things you can look at that changed the outcome of the game. Trying to sum it up in a neat and tidy generic soundbite doesn't get it done.

Of course, if we wanted to do that, we could say that nova only won on talent alone in the past few years. Just look at the performance with and without Szczur in the lineup. But that would also miss tons of tiny little details along the way.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 17th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Why are the Delaware fans singling out the choice of conference-mate UNH over the BlueHens when you also have the Jax State and Bethune Cookman cudd to chew?

bluehenbillk
May 17th, 2011, 09:44 PM

UD vs. URI, IMO both
UD vs. JMU both
UD vs. UMass both
UD vs. GSU Talent.

I'll disagree wholeheartedly with the assertion that UD beat GSU just because of talent. I'm not even going to debate the talent part - hard to say but I think GSU had some pretty talented players. If there is one thing that the UD coaching staff under Keeler has shown it's a propensity to defend the option. Yea, it got real ugly Flacco & Cuff's senior year in a 59-52 UD victory in Annapolis but otherwise UD has done a great job of schematically defending the TO. They stuff 2 LB's between the DT's and take away the famous Paul Johnson FB dive play & dare you to beat them outside where they can A: utilize some good team speed and B: make the TO it's highest risk with a QB pitch. Forced or not - all of those GSU fumbles last year were on pitches or at least the QB thinking about/trying to pitch it. Of thise 5 games analyzed the UR game may be the best assessment, the GSU game is the most off.....

LegalGaSouthernEagle
May 17th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Agreed. I don't think anybody who was at the UD/GSU playoff game left thinking that UD was way more talented than GSU. I think if those two teams play 10 games, GSU goes no worse than 5-5. UD had the edge in experience, and GSU had been road dogs for 2 weeks in a row prior to the game in Newark. No excuses though. The hens deserved it that day. Still, it would've been nice to see what happens if jaybo doesn't just lose the handle on the exchange on teh 1yd line in the 1st quarter. That momentum change was huge, even though it happened very early in the game. UD is one of the very few FCS series that I will miss when GSU moves up.

citdog
May 18th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Agreed. I don't think anybody who was at the UD/GSU playoff game left thinking that UD was way more talented than GSU. I think if those two teams play 10 games, GSU goes no worse than 5-5. UD had the edge in experience, and GSU had been road dogs for 2 weeks in a row prior to the game in Newark. No excuses though. The hens deserved it that day. Still, it would've been nice to see what happens if jaybo doesn't just lose the handle on the exchange on teh 1yd line in the 1st quarter. That momentum change was huge, even though it happened very early in the game. UD is one of the very few FCS series that I will miss when GSU moves up.

I saw that game on TV and saw GSU in person twice last season. On defense GSU's talent was better than the Hens. On offense it really isn't fair to try and compare because of the different systems. The responsibilities of the lineman and wideouts in an option offense are so different than what UD's linemen and wideouts have to do that it's hard to compare them.

eaglewraith
May 18th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Forced or not - all of those GSU fumbles last year were on pitches or at least the QB thinking about/trying to pitch it.

Correction. First one came on our first drive where we gashed you all down the field. We fumbled the snap on the goal line and I honestly think that changed the complexion of the whole game. I think that shook our coaching staff up and they decided to do some weird play calling after that, because there was some stuff that happened in that game that had me scratching my head.

GannonFan
May 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM

"No worse than 5-5"? Come on, just like GSU could beat W&M probably all day and every day of the week, UD would've beaten GSU a whole lot last year if they had to play more. It was a bad matchup for GSU (just like GSU was a bad matchup for W&M). Defensively, UD could contain the triple option, and they did that. Too much experience in the secondary and the scheme UD ran forced GSU to try to beat that secondary and they couldn't do it consistently enough. And that doesn't even touch on the UD offense versus the GSU defense. GSU had some great defensive players - what they didn't have, though, was depth. UD just ran it straight at em all day long and eventually UD's OL just flat out wore down GSU. GSU couldn't rotate the DL because they didn't have anyone to rotate to and eventually AP just destroyed them (ironic, no?). At the end of the day, last year UD was a terrible matchup for GSU. No shame in that. UD would have trouble with W&M while GSU would kill W&M every time they met. So go matchups.

blueballs
May 18th, 2011, 10:21 AM
"No worse than 5-5"? Come on, just like GSU could beat W&M probably all day and every day of the week, UD would've beaten GSU a whole lot last year if they had to play more. It was a bad matchup for GSU (just like GSU was a bad matchup for W&M). Defensively, UD could contain the triple option, and they did that. Too much experience in the secondary and the scheme UD ran forced GSU to try to beat that secondary and they couldn't do it consistently enough. And that doesn't even touch on the UD offense versus the GSU defense. GSU had some great defensive players - what they didn't have, though, was depth. UD just ran it straight at em all day long and eventually UD's OL just flat out wore down GSU. GSU couldn't rotate the DL because they didn't have anyone to rotate to and eventually AP just destroyed them (ironic, no?). At the end of the day, last year UD was a terrible matchup for GSU. No shame in that. UD would have trouble with W&M while GSU would kill W&M every time they met. So go matchups.

A lot of truth there, can't disagree with any of that... I think Shaw lost confidence after that goal line fumble and UD gained traction defensively from that point.

Their o-line wore down GSU's d-line due to depth and TOP just like you said. UD was an older team than GSU last year too and that helps.

jstclmet
May 18th, 2011, 11:13 AM

From reading the above, it appears you're supporting my argument that UD had more talent than GSU.

GSU was a 1 trick pony (TO), and UD took that away by stacking the box. GSU was not a threat at throwing the ball (4-12-1). Like you said, GSU could not contain UD's O. You call it depth and experience, I call it talent.

UD was 12 points from an undefeated season. Can't say the team under performed.

Teams UD lost to (W&M, Nova, & EWU) all could run and throw.

GannonFan
May 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM
From reading the above, it appears you're supporting my argument that UD had more talent than GSU.

GSU was a 1 trick pony (TO), and UD took that away by stacking the box. GSU was not a threat at throwing the ball (4-12-1). Like you said, GSU could not contain UD's O. You call it depth and experience, I call it talent.

UD was 12 points from an undefeated season. Can't say the team under performed.

Teams UD lost to (W&M, Nova, & EWU) all could run and throw.

You can try to summarize it down to a word or too, but at the end it means nothing. Delaware beat teams that could run and throw. And heck, it's not like EWU ran the ball against UD - EWU had 25 yards of rushing in that game. See, again, if you just fall back on generalities and empty statements (more talent, underperforming, outcoached) then you miss the important details.

And really, I called what UD did against GSU as much more than depth and experience - I'm pretty sure I put scheme in there as well. Again, important detail that you're glossing over and then missing the bigger picture because of it.

jstclmet
May 18th, 2011, 12:51 PM
You can try to summarize it down to a word or too, but at the end it means nothing. Delaware beat teams that could run and throw. And heck, it's not like EWU ran the ball against UD - EWU had 25 yards of rushing in that game. See, again, if you just fall back on generalities and empty statements (more talent, underperforming, outcoached) then you miss the important details.

And really, I called what UD did against GSU as much more than depth and experience - I'm pretty sure I put scheme in there as well. Again, important detail that you're glossing over and then missing the bigger picture because of it.

So two 1 point losses on the road, and an OT loss at home to a much hated rival. Let's say for the sake of argument that in those 3 games, the teams on both sides of the ball were pretty even, not to mention pretty good. While it may feel to you a pretty general statement, would you agree that the coaches of the three victorious teams got the better of the coach who lost.

GannonFan
May 18th, 2011, 01:04 PM
So two 1 point losses on the road, and an OT loss at home to a much hated rival. Let's say for the sake of argument that in those 3 games, the teams on both sides of the ball were pretty even, not to mention pretty good. While it may feel to you a pretty general statement, would you agree that the coaches of the three victorious teams got the better of the coach who lost.

Again, you're making it down to a pretty simplistic statement that by being simple, misses out on everything else. When UD lost to W&M, UD's OL, one guy in particular, had a real bad game. That gets missed by saying "it was down to being outcoached". In the EWU game, UD had a normally surehanded WR drop a ball on a 3rd down in the fourth quarter, while up 19-6, that would've put UD deep into EWU territory, probably stretching that lead out to a point where EWU couldn't have come back. And the whole 4th and 1 stop that wasn't due to the chain malfunction. Again, both get missed with the "outcoached" simplification. The team (players and coaches) wins games and the team loses games. If you want to be simple, go with that one.

jstclmet
May 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Again, you're making it down to a pretty simplistic statement that by being simple, misses out on everything else. When UD lost to W&M, UD's OL, one guy in particular, had a real bad game. That gets missed by saying "it was down to being outcoached". In the EWU game, UD had a normally surehanded WR drop a ball on a 3rd down in the fourth quarter, while up 19-6, that would've put UD deep into EWU territory, probably stretching that lead out to a point where EWU couldn't have come back. And the whole 4th and 1 stop that wasn't due to the chain malfunction. Again, both get missed with the "outcoached" simplification. The team (players and coaches) wins games and the team loses games. If you want to be simple, go with that one.

Every team in every game has execution errors (missed blocks, dropped passes, missed assignments, missed tackles, etc.). Everyone has injury concerns as well. UD was probably one of the healthiest teams in the playoffs. UD did not lose the game because of the two plays you mentioned above. Some coaches adjust better than others when the game is on the line.

henfan
May 18th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Going into the preseason, my 1-3 would be:

1. EWU
2. Georgia Southern
3. Appalachian State

Grizzaholic
May 18th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Going into the preseason, my 1-3 would be:

1. NDSU (I hear their O'line/D'line are NFL quality)
2. EWU (Champs, theirs until they lose)
3. MT State (Super QB, seem to be poised to fix the NDSU flub)

bjtheflamesfan
May 18th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I missed the last half of the season voting in the AGS poll but I do wonder what teams that didnt finish top 10 this year (in the AGS or Coaches Poll) could be on the cusp of it going into this year. Like I said when I gave my top 10 (not necessarily in order), Liberty isnt quite a top 10 team, but the first part of the schedule lends itself to getting into the top 10, maybe top 5 with an FBS and a 2010 playoff team in the first four games (NC State and Lehigh respectively). Montana State certainly has a chance and maybe Lehigh but the Liberty matchup will certainly have a lot to say about that.

89Hen
May 18th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I missed the last half of the season voting in the AGS poll but I do wonder what teams that didnt finish top 10 this year (in the AGS or Coaches Poll) could be on the cusp of it going into this year. Like I said when I gave my top 10 (not necessarily in order), Liberty isnt quite a top 10 team, but the first part of the schedule lends itself to getting into the top 10, maybe top 5 with an FBS and a 2010 playoff team in the first four games (NC State and Lehigh respectively). Montana State certainly has a chance and maybe Lehigh but the Liberty matchup will certainly have a lot to say about that.
Here is the AGS Poll...

1. Eastern Washington (26) 674
2. Delaware (1)* 648
3. Villanova 617
4. Georgia Southern 571
5. Appalachian St. 558
6. North Dakota St. 522
7. New Hampshire 499
8. Wofford 495
9. William & Mary 447
10. Montana St. 415
11. Stephen F. Austin 406
12. Jacksonville St. 373
13. Southeast Missouri St. 316
14. Lehigh 296
15. Pennsylvania 260
16. Western Illinois 252
17. Northern Iowa 210
18. Bethune-Cookman 207
19. South Carolina St. 148
20. Montana 146
21. Massachusetts 94
22. Robert Morris 87
23. Liberty 76
24. Cal Poly 66
25. Coastal Carolina 56
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Jacksonville (11), Richmond (11), Chattanooga (9), James Madison (9), Sacramento St. (6), Grambling St. (4),

GATA
May 18th, 2011, 04:57 PM
This is laughable. Mark this down...Georgia Southern WILL NOT finish as a top 10 team next year. They finish 15-25 AT BEST

ncbears
May 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Cal Poly
Montana
Eastern WA
Montana St
Wofford
App St
Georgia Southern
North Dakota State
Sac State
William & Mary

Obviously I'm West biased and as they start to beat each other, it will be nearly impossible for all of them to be ranked so high.

What? Sac State? Did you mean South Carolina State? I must be seeing things wrong.

bojeta
May 19th, 2011, 03:28 PM
What? Sac State? Did you mean South Carolina State? I must be seeing things wrong.

No, you saw it correctly. Check your stats, Sac State will be tough this year. These pre-season polls are always highly speculative, but I personally won't be the least bit surprised if they finish ranked in the top ten. Unfortunately, the Big Sky will only be offered two spots in the playoffs when they will have at least 3, maybe 4 teams worthy. The Great West may end up with no teams in the playoffs if only because of the incredibly difficult scheduels (more FBS games per team than any FCS conference), tough FCS OOC teams and a strong though small conference schedule. I hope this is not the case, but looking at Poly and Davis' schedules, it will be tough to get 7 DI wins.

GannonFan
May 19th, 2011, 03:54 PM
No, you saw it correctly. Check your stats, Sac State will be tough this year. These pre-season polls are always highly speculative, but I personally won't be the least bit surprised if they finish ranked in the top ten. Unfortunately, the Big Sky will only be offered two spots in the playoffs when they will have at least 3, maybe 4 teams worthy. The Great West may end up with no teams in the playoffs if only because of the incredibly difficult scheduels (more FBS games per team than any FCS conference), tough FCS OOC teams and a strong though small conference schedule. I hope this is not the case, but looking at Poly and Davis' schedules, it will be tough to get 7 DI wins.

I'm dying to know, how often has this happened? What teams from the Big Sky have been screwed out of not making the playoffs in the past several years.

Red & Black
May 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately, the Big Sky will only be offered two spots in the playoffs when they will have at least 3, maybe 4 teams worthy.

Why? The Big Sky has gotten three teams in as recently as 2009. Any Big Sky team with 7 Division wins is basically a lock. I guess if you're saying that the conference will beat itself up and there won't be more than two teams with enough wins to qualify then that's different.

After the 2011 season, I think 3-4 Big Sky teams making the playoffs will be the norm.

89Hen
May 19th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I'm dying to know, how often has this happened? What teams from the Big Sky have been screwed out of not making the playoffs in the past several years.

Only 7 win BSC team (DI wins) that didn't make the field recently was Montana State in 2005. Montana and EWU both went that year. That was the year after the term "Woofed" came to be, but I can't recall who was "woofed" that year, but I don't remember it being MSU.

bojeta
May 19th, 2011, 05:25 PM

I didn't say they have been in the past. I simply said that I believe three or more would be worthy of going in the coming season, but that only two would. Don't read more into a statement than is there. If I felt someone had been screwed out of the playoffs, I would say it.

ncbears
May 19th, 2011, 06:04 PM

Isn't this always said of Sac State though? I'm skeptical because of the past. I agree, they'll be pretty good, but not top 10 imo.

cpalum
May 19th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Isn't this always said of Sac State though? I'm skeptical because of the past. I agree, they'll be pretty good, but not top 10 imo.

Well bojeta actually didnt say they would be in the top ten...he said he wouldnt be surprised if they were.... but I am with you. I dont think Sac will even sniff the top ten this year. They might make the top 25, I say bubble playoff team and that is generous coming from me.

The Big Sky 2011 top 4 in no particular order.....

EWU
Montana
Montana St
Weber St

I expect Sac to be around number 5

Grizzaholic
May 19th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Well bojeta actually didnt say they would be in the top ten...he said he wouldnt be surprised if they were.... but I am with you. I dont think Sac will even sniff the top ten this year. They might make the top 25, I say bubble playoff team and that is generous coming from me.

The Big Sky 2011 top 4 in no particular order.....

EWU
Montana
Montana St
Weber St

I expect Sac to be around number 5

SUU should be 5....wouldn't be surprised if they are in the top 3 by the end of the year.

bojeta
May 19th, 2011, 11:03 PM

You're probably right, but still, I won't be surprised if they are.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 19th, 2011, 11:28 PM
SUU should be 5....wouldn't be surprised if they are in the top 3 by the end of the year.

If you're serious, that might be pushin' it (TWSS?). They're certainly good enough to be top 10, but I don't think they'll crack top 15. I just hope they make the playoffs and shut some people up. They've been on a steady rise for the last 5 years from a winless squad to a contender.

89Hen
May 20th, 2011, 08:30 AM
If you're serious, that might be pushin' it (TWSS?). They're certainly good enough to be top 10, but I don't think they'll crack top 15. I just hope they make the playoffs and shut some people up. They've been on a steady rise for the last 5 years from a winless squad to a contender.

Oh boy, here we go again. Both of you guys are fishing with some pretty stinky bait.

Grizzaholic
May 20th, 2011, 08:32 AM

If you would have gone to school that teaches reading comprehension, you would see that it was BSC not FCS. And I believe it to be so for the BSC...I see 89Hen cannot read either.

And after I posted it I got to thinking...will SUU even be in the Big Sky next year or is it 2012 when they become members?

ncbears
May 20th, 2011, 11:14 AM
If you would have gone to school that teaches reading comprehension, you would see that it was BSC not FCS. And I believe it to be so for the BSC...I see 89Hen cannot read either.

And after I posted it I got to thinking...will SUU even be in the Big Sky next year or is it 2012 when they become members?

Grizzaholic
May 20th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Ok. So in 2012, provided that the world doesn't end tomorrow, SUU will be in the top 5 of the BSC.

coover
May 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Cal Poly
Montana
Eastern WA
Montana St
Wofford
App St
Georgia Southern
North Dakota State
Sac State
William & Mary

As much as I would love to see my guys in the top 10, it is too, too early to be even thinking that they even might end up there this year. I know, bojeta, you've seen their schedule and you know that they play only 10 Division I games (+ 1 D II game, which won't be considered much in the voting). And then there are the D I games they will have to play ... San Diego State, Montana, South Dakota State, Northern Illinois, Southern Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota, Davis, Eastern Washington, and South Alabama. This may be, MAY BE, the toughest FCS schedule in the nation, certainly not one a top 10 wanna be wants to play.

And if they do make it through that schedule with 7 wins, they better be in the top 10!

Go Mustangs!

ngineer
May 20th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Lehigh's OOC is good enough that if they could manage a split with Liberty and UNH they would have a very good shot. The PL was within a Pierce int of getting an at large in '09. As much as we like to pick on the league, and a lot of its fair, it does pretty well against non-CAA teams. Personally, i think Lehigh and Colgate have the potential to be quite good. Lehigh's biggest issues are the secondary and special teams imo.

I believe most reasonable polls will have the Hawks somewhere between 13-20. Colgate could easily be a Top 25 preseason team as well. Eachus will likely bring Gate quality pub throughout the year.

Lafayette will be no where near 2-9 and HC will be a 6-5/7-4 type team imo.

After watching the Brown & White game, the only area of real concern to me is our field goal situation. New snapper and Peery is questionable after 35 yards. Secondary showed A LOT. Yes, none started last year, but they have a lot of game experience. Remember, Groome wasn't a starter either until the first game when Taylor went down, and look what happened. Yes, Schauder is back and Spadola should be a preseason all-american candidate. No question we should be the pick to repeat in the PL with Colgate #2. We're the champs and deserve the bullseye. Only underdog game, preseason, is UNH. I see Liberty as a toss-up. So, for preseason purposes, I put us right on the bubble of the top ten.