PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NHL Playoffs

sikolec
April 20th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Not sure how many hockey fans we have in this board, but the playoffs have been thrilling thus far.

My beloved Sharks (currently up 2-1 in the series vs. LA Kings) had an entertaining comeback win last night. After going down 4 goals in the 1st period, they came back strong in the 2nd. Scoring 3 goals to put the score at 4-3, the Kings came back to put the score 5-3. The Sharks scored two more goals in the 2nd period to tie the game 5-5. That's right, the Sharks scored 5 goals in the 2nd period! After a back and forth scoreless 3rd period, the Sharks won in overtime with a Setoguchi goal! Fun game to watch and an even better outcome.

Here are the current series around the nations:

Western Conference:

#1 Vancouver Canucks leads series 3-1 vs. #8 Chicago Blackhawks
#2 San Jose Sharks leads series 2-1 vs. #7 Los Angeles Kings
#3 Detroit Red Wings leads series 3-0 vs. #6 Phoenix Coyotes
#5 Nashville Predators leads series 2-1 vs. #4 Anaheim Ducks

Eastern Conference:

#1 Washington Capitals leads series 2-1 vs. #8 New York Rangers
#2 Philadelphia Flyers leads series 2-1 vs. #7 Buffalo Sabres
#6 Montreal Canadiens leads series 2-1 vs. #3 Boston Bruins
#4 Pittsburgh Penguins leads series 2-1 vs. #5 Tampa Bay Lightning

NHwildEcat
April 20th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I fear the worst, being a Bruins fan. Unless we win game 4, I don't have much faith in our current system nor team play/effort.

TheValleyRaider
April 20th, 2011, 02:38 PM
That Sharks-Kings game was nuts!

I'm following the playoffs, but they haven't really jumped up with a great series yet. The best one might be Ducks-Preds, but of course we can't see that one on TV in the States

Still picking Sharks over Caps for the Cup, but we'll see

NHwildEcat
April 20th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I cannot make predictions on who I think will win the Cup...its just too wide open and upsets seem to always happen in the NHL. I could hoenstly see any one of 5 teams winning eiher the East or the West.

As long as its not the Canadiens!

Also to note, out of any possible 1st round matchup the Bruins could have gotten- they got the worst one. In 6 games in the regular season, we dropped 4 games to those guys (3 in regulation if I recall correctly)....anyone else and I would feel pretty good. Trying to keep the faith!

asumike83
April 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I think the 'Canes will be the first 9-seed to ever win the Cup!

If that doesn't happen, then I think the Capitals get over the hump and beat Detroit in the finals.

NHwildEcat
May 2nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Bruins win the first 2 games in their series with the Flyers in Philly!!!! 2 more wins and we will be on to the East Finals!!!

TheValleyRaider
May 2nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Bruins win the first 2 games in their series with the Flyers in Philly!!!! 2 more wins and we will be on to the East Finals!!!

Hate to be "that guy", and I'd love to see the Flyers crash out, but doesn't this sound awfully familiar....

NHwildEcat
May 2nd, 2011, 10:08 PM
Hate to be "that guy", and I'd love to see the Flyers crash out, but doesn't this sound awfully familiar....

Yes, but not really when its broken down. Bruins are playing with a different goalie, and we are at full strength health wise, last year we were down some key pieces...also the roster was turned over nearly 50 percent...so its pretty much a different squad. And Philly is struggling with their goalies...

TheValleyRaider
May 2nd, 2011, 10:49 PM
Yes, but not really when its broken down. Bruins are playing with a different goalie, and we are at full strength health wise, last year we were down some key pieces...also the roster was turned over nearly 50 percent...so its pretty much a different squad. And Philly is struggling with their goalies...

The more things change.... xlolx xlolx xlolx

TTUEagles
May 8th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I was thrilled to see my Predators stay alive last night against Vancouver and that diver, Ryan Kessler. Helluva hockey player, but man he's a faker...
Still, it will be fun to have at least one more hockey game at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. That place has been electric for all of the playoffs! I am not ready to give up hockey yet this year...

TTUEagles
May 10th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Well, it was a helluva run - proud of the Predators, though!

NHwildEcat
May 10th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Well, it was a helluva run - proud of the Predators, though!

Should be, they made huge strides this season...hats off to them and the support their fans showed during their run!

NHwildEcat
May 10th, 2011, 02:51 PM
The Bruins/Lightning will have no excuses for being tired when their series begins on Saturday night @ 8PM in Boston. Bruins will have had 8 full days of rest, while TB will have had 9...much too long, thanks to the West and their inability of teams to close out their opponents!

Of course, game 1 has to be the day when I planned to go down to NY for the Red Sox/Yankees game...I have excellent timing. Oh well, **** happens, right...I'll support from NY and make sure I stay on top of all the action while watching the Sox beat down the Yanks.

My prediciton for the East, is Bruins in 6! And on to the CUP!.

TTUEagles
May 10th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I think Boston will get it done, too (Bruins, not sure about the Sox), and that will make one great Stanley Cup pitting the Bruins and EITHER the Sharks (they will beat the Dead Wings) or Canucks...Vancouver plays the best defensive hockey I may have ever seen.

sikolec
May 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I think Boston will get it done, too (Bruins, not sure about the Sox), and that will make one great Stanley Cup pitting the Bruins and EITHER the Sharks (they will beat the Dead Wings) or Canucks...Vancouver plays the best defensive hockey I may have ever seen.

I sure hope the Sharks can finally finish off Detroit tonight!

TTUEagles
May 11th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I'll bet they are getting nervous in San Jose...

NHwildEcat
May 11th, 2011, 09:10 AM

I am getting nervous...if Detroit wins this and happen to get to the Cup against Boston...we are doomed. They will skate circles around the Bruins. We would stand no chance IMO. Sharks are the best opponent for us...but it would be nice to beat a team from Canada to win the Cup too...

TTUEagles
May 11th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I am getting nervous...if Detroit wins this and happen to get to the Cup against Boston...we are doomed. They will skate circles around the Bruins. We would stand no chance IMO. Sharks are the best opponent for us...but it would be nice to beat a team from Canada to win the Cup too...

I personally don't think that anyone wants any part of the Canucks. Of course, that comes from having seen them in person X 3 this past week. Also, I admit I haven't seen Boston, Tampa, or San Jose very much (if at all) this year. On paper, I think the Sharks can hang with Vancouver - even though it still is Detroit, I think they are beatable. It's not vintage Detroit.

sikolec
May 11th, 2011, 10:33 AM

I'm extremely nervous. To go up 3-0 and then to let Detroit back in to tie it up...grr. Thursday (tomorrow) is game 7...eek!

NHwildEcat
May 11th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I'm extremely nervous. To go up 3-0 and then to let Detroit back in to tie it up...grr. Thursday (tomorrow) is game 7...eek!

Go Sharks...

NHwildEcat
May 29th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Bruins v. Canucks for the Stanley Cup!

So excited...for the first time since I was 5 my Bruins will be playing for the games biggest championship.

Game 1 is Wednesday night...can't wait.

As excited as I am, I am also realistic and feel as though Vancouver will win the series in 6 games... :(

What does everyone else have?

Gil Dobie
May 29th, 2011, 09:21 PM
As a life-long Black Hawk fan, I have a soft-spot for Original 6 teams.

TheValleyRaider
May 30th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Canucks in 5

Boston has been too inconsistent in their play this postseason, and they can't match Vancouver's depth while the Canucks have been getting stronger.

Kesler wins the Conn Smythe, 2nd American-born player to do so

NHwildEcat
May 30th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Canucks in 5

Boston has been too inconsistent in their play this postseason, and they can't match Vancouver's depth while the Canucks have been getting stronger.

I think there is a great chance the 2nd American-born player to win the Conn Smythe would happen either way...if the Bruins do some how manage to win then Tim Thomas would have to be the guy...but certainly a Canucks victory wraps it up for Kesler.

TheValleyRaider
May 30th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I think there is a great chance the 2nd American-born player to win the Conn Smythe would happen either way...if the Bruins do some how manage to win then Tim Thomas would have to be the guy...but certainly a Canucks victory wraps it up for Kesler.

True, Thomas is probably the Bruins' leader at this point, though if Kesler is only so-so in the Finals and one of the Sedins or Luongo comes up big, it could go that way. Kesler and Thomas are their team's Smythe front-runners, but not enough so, I think to say it's theirs at this point

Quick trivia, who was the first American Conn Smythe winner? ;)

NHwildEcat
May 30th, 2011, 05:36 PM
True, Thomas is probably the Bruins' leader at this point, though if Kesler is only so-so in the Finals and one of the Sedins or Luongo comes up big, it could go that way. Kesler and Thomas are their team's Smythe front-runners, but not enough so, I think to say it's theirs at this point

Quick trivia, who was the first American Conn Smythe winner? ;)

Brian Leetch in 94.

NHwildEcat
June 8th, 2011, 10:08 PM
BRUINS dominate for the second straight game...they keep playing like this and the Canucks don't stand a chance.

One thing I have learned about Vancouver is they have no heart, their goalie is weak minded and they are a soft team who like to ***** and moan. I don't really understand how anyone can support that team...they are not a hockey team.

12-1 in the past two games...14-5 in the series...B's are playing tough for Nathan Horton after the cheap shot he suffered.

Back to Vancouver for Game 5, and if the Bruins win that they get to come home for a shot to win the Cup! :)

Glory days for me!!!

NHwildEcat
June 8th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Canucks in 5

Kesler has no shot now at that...he has completely disappeared in the Cup. Then again, most of his teammates have also not shown up.

TheValleyRaider
June 8th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Kesler has no shot now at that...he has completely disappeared in the Cup. Then again, most of his teammates have also not shown up.

Indeed. Even if Vancouver wins it, Thomas looks like the clear cut Smythe winner, he's been outstanding

The Canucks will have a lot more jump on home ice, it'll be interesting to see if Boston can maintain their momentum after the long trip west

Both of these teams have been pretty chippy and it's starting to get a little ridiculous. I love a good bit of bad blood as much as the next guy, but some of the stuff at the end of tonight was getting a bit over the top. Really, if the League suspends Burrows after Game 1, a lot of that probably goes away. Sigh...

NHwildEcat
June 9th, 2011, 07:22 AM
True...the league IMO brought this upon themselves by not nipping things in the bud back in Game 1. Marchand was cheap at the end of Game 4, but luckily it was a Sedin sister who was skating towards him because if it had been someone who actually skates hard they might have been badly hurt themselves.

I've watched a lot of hockey in my life and these Cancucks are some of the biggest babies I have ever seen skate at this level, their behavior is similar to what I have always witnessed in the past from Providence College squads...its very sad.

Grizalltheway
June 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM
True...the league IMO brought this upon themselves by not nipping things in the bud back in Game 1. Marchand was cheap at the end of Game 4, but luckily it was a Sedin sister who was skating towards him because if it had been someone who actually skates hard they might have been badly hurt themselves.

I've watched a lot of hockey in my life and these Cancucks are some of the biggest babies I have ever seen skate at this level, their behavior is similar to what I have always witnessed in the past from Providence College squads...its very sad.

What, no complaints about all the cheap shots and dirty play from Boston? xcoffeex

NHwildEcat
June 13th, 2011, 10:26 PM
What, no complaints about all the cheap shots and dirty play from Boston? xcoffeex

Cheap shots? I mentioned one that Marchand was the supplier of...how about you actually name some others? Bruins and Canucks are two different breeds...the Bruins play hockey and the Canucks make excuses and flop all over the ice...they are a sad excuse for a hockey team. Too bad the Bruins couldn't play an actual team like San Jose.

Dirty play? I don't recall any Bruins biting anyone or head hunting...so unless you got some examples you haven't much to say pal.

NHwildEcat
June 13th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Game 7 on Weds. night...the best situation in the quite possibly the most exciting professional sports event...Boston @ Vancouver for all the marbles! Cannot wait!!!

NHwildEcat
June 15th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Cheap shots? I mentioned one that Marchand was the supplier of...how about you actually name some others? Bruins and Canucks are two different breeds...the Bruins play hockey and the Canucks make excuses and flop all over the ice...they are a sad excuse for a hockey team. Too bad the Bruins couldn't play an actual team like San Jose.

Dirty play? I don't recall any Bruins biting anyone or head hunting...so unless you got some examples you haven't much to say pal.

That's what I thought.

TheValleyRaider
June 15th, 2011, 05:02 PM
If the past games in Vancouver have been any indication, this should be a nice, tight game

I'm gonna guess Canucks win on a late goal (Burrows?), but in regulation, not OT. Thomas get the Smythe (so I'll still right about the 2nd American winner ;))

TV ratings through the roof :)

Last hockey until September xbawlingx

TheValleyRaider
June 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM
If the past games in Vancouver have been any indication, this should be a nice, tight game

I'm gonna guess Canucks win on a late goal (Burrows?), but in regulation, not OT.

So, yeah, about that... xscanx

Congrats to the Bruins on a well-deserved Cup xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

I'm happy for guys like Thomas and Chara. Glad to see those guys get their moment

Thomas get the Smythe (so I'll still right about the 2nd American winner ;))

Still taking credit for this one :D

TV ratings through the roof :)

Here's hoping

Last hockey until September xbawlingx

Sadly, still true :( xbawlingx :( xbawlingx :( xbawlingx

NHwildEcat
June 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM
2011 Stanley Cup Champions!!!

What an amazing season and it could not have ended any better then a shut out by Tim Thomas...I have never seen a goalie in all my life play at the level he has played and for the amount of time he played at that level. Simply remarkable!

I feel that even if the Bruins had lost last night that this was still a great season...these guys have so much heart and grit and it truely worked out for them. They really kicked the crap out of the Canucks- a few bounces in the Bruins favor in the first three games up thee and this series might have been over much sooner, look at the stats and you will see total domination. Luongo is better then (or so I thought) he played this series...but he sure does seem like he has a real issue of letting people into his head- his confidence is a joke.

I feel bad for Kesler...he seemed to be the only Canuck who brought it every game, it must suck knowing you have ****ty teammates like the Sedin's and Luongo who think it is all about them...hopefully some day he can get out of that mess and into a good team situation.

All and all super pumped! I stayed up until the bitter end of coverage last night and I am certainly paying for it now...

As for the ratings from last night- I believe I heard it was the second most watched NHL Cup game of all time! And I know it Boston it was certainly through the roof. Better than the Celtics title run last year...and certainly more exciting!

The only bad thing about the Cup ending is that now I have to wait 3 months before I can watch some more hockey...gosh this is a fabulous game!