PDA

View Full Version : CSN-My Ballot: The College Football Hall of Fame

Mr. C
March 12th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Breaking down this year's candidates for the College Football Hall of Fame and hoping that the National Football Foundation won't neglect FCS with the 2011 class

By David Coulson
Executive Editor/Managing Partner
College Sporting News

PHILADELPHIA — When you have been writing about college football for as long as I have (at this point, I am looking forward to my 35th year of sharing my love of the sport), you inevitably are called upon to vote for various awards.

But never have I been as excited about receiving an awards ballot as I was last Saturday when I opened my mail box and found a magazine from the National Football Foundation.

Tucked inside this issue of Footballetter Magazine were biographies of the 173 players and 39 coaches who had been nominated for the College Football Hall of Fame.

As a member of the College Football Writer's Association, I was being asked to vote for the 2011 class of inductees.

While there were names of players and coaches who had earned fame from every level of college football, from NAIA to NCAA Division I, the names that caught my eye the most were those from the Football Championship Subdivision.

I felt the excitement of a child, reading the old Sears and Roebuck Christmas Wish catalog as I read the various biographies.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?439-My-Ballot-The-2011-College-Football-Hall-Of-Fame

Mr. C
March 12th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Here are a couple of other recent columns on CSN:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?438-How-the-NCAA-Tournament-Might-Affect-CAA-Football

There is a lot at stake in the future for certain FCS teams and conferences as the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament begins next week

By Chuck Burton
Associate Editor
College Sporting News

PHILADELPHIA — It's the time of year where you hear about schools like Old Dominion, Villanova, and Georgetown, but not in terms of their football programs.

It's March Madness time, and along with the familiar hoops programs like the Hoyas and Wildcats, we see other programs like the Monarchs of Old Dominion.

If the chips fall right, we also might possibly see either the Patriots of George Mason or the Spiders of Richmond in the "Big Dance" this year.

But this year, it feels like there's more at stake than hoops bragging rights and NCAA money.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?437-SoCon-Teams-Face-Challenging-2011-Schedules

The task for Southern Conference teams will be interesting in 2011 as next season's schedules are announced

By Myron Hosea
South Columnist
College Sporting News

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — While this is a relatively quiet period of the football offseason – signing day is done and spring practices are just beginning – it is one of my favorite times.

It’s the time when schedules for the next season are finalized and announced. I enjoy, as you might, finding out the non-conference games.

It’s also fun to see the order of the conference games, especially now that the Southern Conference spreads its league games across the board from week one to week 12.

In this column, we’ll examine the schedules of the Southern Conference teams. Here are some observations.