PDA

View Full Version : Three HBCU's to participate in Urban Invitation

bluedog
February 23rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Three Historically Black Colleges and Universities to participate in Urban Invitational for first time in event's four-year history

Collegiate baseball tournament will feature Bethune-Cookman, Grambling State and Southern Universities and University of California-Irvine; MLB Network and MLB.com to carry games LIVE on February 26

The 2011 Urban Invitational presented by the U.S. Army will feature three Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) for the first time in the tournament's four-year history. HBCUs Bethune-Cookman University (Daytona Beach, Florida), Grambling State University (Grambling, Louisiana) and Southern University (Baton Rouge, Louisiana) will participate in the round-robin, collegiate baseball tournament with NCAA Division-I school University of California, Irvine. The 2011 Urban Invitational presented by the U.S. Army will take place February 25-27 at the MLB Urban Youth Academy in Compton, California.

READ (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110223&content_id=16711980&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

OhioHen
February 24th, 2011, 06:10 AM
The 2011 Urban Invitational presented by the U.S. Army will feature three Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) for the first time in the tournament's four-year history. HBCUs Bethune-Cookman University (Daytona Beach, Florida), Grambling State University (Grambling, Louisiana) and Southern University (Baton Rouge, Louisiana) will participate in the round-robin, collegiate baseball tournament with NCAA Division-I school University of California, Irvine. The 2011 Urban Invitational presented by the U.S. Army will take place February 25-27 at the MLB Urban Youth Academy in Compton, California.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. Aren't BCU, GSU, and SU NCAA Division I schools?

bonarae
February 24th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong here. Aren't BCU, GSU, and SU NCAA Division I schools?

Yes, they are Division I schools. UCI is not an HBCU, hence the distinction.

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Yes, they are Division I schools. UCI is not an HBCU, hence the distinction.

Should not say Division I before UCI - but would not be the first messed up release regarding this tournament...

Did we ever find out who Grambling replaced in the field? They were a late replacement since they were originally in a tournament at ULM this weekend as of a few months ago. They are touting three HBCUs, but that was not always the plan it seems...