PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern @ Delaware

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 18th, 2010, 01:54 PM
That's just crazy. If GSU hadn't gotten unlucky with turnovers, this one would be incredibly close. It's the same thing as last night, having to sustain playoff level intensity through three road games is just tough and leads to mental mistakes. UD's a good team, but they're not that good.

I'll say it again; crazier things have happened, and its not over until its over.

It was said more in fun after the UNH comment. What it means is it will take a very good well rounded team to beat UD. EWU is going to have play great on defense, offense and special teams to knock off the Hens. UD is very sound in all areas.

GSU Eagle
December 18th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Guys we had our chances.

DaltonLegalEagle
December 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Guys we had our chances.

True! Just not our day!

Oldhen
December 18th, 2010, 01:56 PM
That's just crazy. If GSU hadn't gotten unlucky with turnovers, this one would be incredibly close. It's the same thing as last night, having to sustain playoff level intensity through three road games is just tough and leads to mental mistakes. UD's a good team, but they're not that good .

+1 QFT

GATA
we need a 17 point play!

Lets draw one up in the dirt!

Well...both teams are very good defensively...both are pretty solid on offense. I thought it was a good matchup. However, Delaware took care of the rock like a championship team should (zero turnovers). GSU had their chances to make this a really close game and maybe pull out the win, but turnovers, turnovers, turnovers...

killed Villanova last night...got GSU today. Good run this year Eagles.

I'll be sure to tune in and watch EWU v. Delaware in 3 weeks. Should be really good.

DaltonLegalEagle
Congratulations Blue Hens! I was hoping to give you Cerulean Pullets blue balls today, but alas to no avail. Good Luck next game!

Jackman
December 18th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Good end of season run, Georgia Southern. Just came up short today.

wapiti
December 18th, 2010, 02:03 PM
SCORE anyone???? I do not have cable.

Jackman
December 18th, 2010, 02:04 PM
27-10, FINAL

Nebuta
Hats off to GSU on the wonderful season. UD's offense has a well balanced attack. GSU had no answer for AP. Good luck Hens in TX.

wapiti
27-10, FINAL

DaltonLegalEagle
December 18th, 2010, 02:05 PM
SCORE anyone???? I do not have cable.

Final Delaware-27 GSU-10 Top story: GSU's 5 turnovers (4 fumbles) grounds triple option; Delaware plays mistake free and Devlin is sharp, with late running drive from RB to break Southern's back.

GSUwinsagain
December 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Congratulations UD. You played a great solid game. You have a heck of an OL.
Good luck in TX. That should be another great game.

Blue Hen 53
December 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
We're going to the ship!!!!

Blue Hen 53
December 18th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Congrats Delaware and way to represent the CAA! Even though I hate your team because of your whiny coach and because of some of your annoying fans, I will hold my nose for the next game and root for a CAA win. Better the CAA than the SoCon and Big Sky. Kudos to Delaware for total domination over GSU.

No one whines more than fat Mickey!

eaglesrback
December 18th, 2010, 02:11 PM
CONGRADS hens

DSUrocks07
December 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Congrats Blue Hens, bring the trophy back once again to our state xhurrayx

Hopefully, with a stroke of luck we can hoist one of those things one day. xcoolx

Blue Hen 53
December 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
The Eagles of Georgia Southern Win a slobber knocker over The Blue Hens of Delaware by 6 points. Please no Pontificating from our Friends from Delaware.

Gamecocks you should go into handicapping!

Blue Hen 53
December 18th, 2010, 02:15 PM
CONGRADS hens

Thx, I suspect the Eagles will be back in 2011 with so much youth.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 18th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Got to stick by my guns and say Delaware 27-14.

Darn close....

Congrats to both UD and GSU. The Eagles are a couple players away on offense from winning another title imo.

Bogus Megapardus
December 18th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Congratulations to the Delaware Blue Hens.

blueballs
December 18th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Were the announcers correct when they said that the Eagles only have one senior, if so I would not be suprised to see you guys in the semis next year

#24 Carson Hill CB was the only senior starter for GSU today on either side of the ball. In fact there is only one other senior on the two deep and he didn't play today.

Delaware did what an experienced team is supposed to do to a younger team; stay solid, let the younger team make mistakes, then close the deal.

As for GSU, another year of practice, maturation for all the youth, and strength training, coupled with six home games next year, should mean a bye in the first round and perhaps not the death march they've had the past two months with 5 road games in the past 6 weeks including a rival game and 3 of the top 6 teams in the country.

GaSouthern
December 18th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Great game hens, I'll go ahead and say it, you are the 2011 national champions, I hope GSU can get seeded next season and win it all for the 2012 game!

HenZoneNation
December 18th, 2010, 02:35 PM
We just saw the new BIG BOYS of the SoCon...I'd hate to see this team in the palyoffs the next 2 years.

ngineer
December 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Congrats Hens! But for those crucial fumbles, this would have gone down to the wire. But, like the EWU/VU game, the team with more mistakes should lose. GSU--great season. Great outlook for the future, too. UD, likewise with AP staying healthy, another major ground attack. Obviously, UD's more balanced attack makes it more difficult to defend. Looking forward to a good one from both "Frisco Kids". Hens my early pick by 31-21.

tractorapp
December 18th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks tractorapp! If the situation was reversed, I'd say go 'Neers.... Unless they were about to tie our number of NC's.. ;)

Understood. Glad you guys are back. I've missed the days when we hated your guts. Everyone needs a hated rival, and let's face it, Elon and Western just don't measure up. Congrats on a great season, looking forward to many epic battles in the future.

maristdb89
December 18th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Congrats to Delaware!!! Great season for GSU.

superman7515
December 18th, 2010, 03:03 PM
We're going to Frisco baby!!

Blue Hen Nation
December 18th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Well played GSU! Given the youth of your team, you're going to be a formidable opponent in the coming years. xsmileyclapx

Henbychoice
December 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM
We just saw the new BIG BOYS of the SoCon...I'd hate to see this team in the palyoffs the next 2 years.

Right there with ya! GSU with some more seasoning under there belts running the TO and more physical maturity on both sides of the ball and this can be VERY scary team.
The won the ball control battle(not a great surprise) by about a minute and if they hadn't repeatedly shot themselves in the foot could easily have won this game.

On to Frisco, BABY!!!

Nebuta
December 18th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Congrats to GSU. Glad to see the Eagles clearly are back and here to stay. With all the young talent on that team, no reason why we dont see the Eagles make more NC runs in the near future.

LeadBolt
December 18th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Congratulations, Delaware!

Eaglesrus
December 18th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Congratulations UD. Not much went our way today, but your team certainly had a lot to do with that, particularly late in the game. One further note about us; the fact that we only started one senior today includes the kickers, so hopefully that bodes well for us having an extended season next year, as well.

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Well congratulations everyone. It's so hard rooting for GaSo, but had to do it. Glad to see them back. Turnovers really mess up a game. Gonna have to get some superglue. Monken did an excellent job in his first year. Just shows how much difference a good coach can make.

Tubby Raymond
December 18th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Congrats Hens! But for those crucial fumbles, this would have gone down to the wire. But, like the EWU/VU game, the team with more mistakes should lose. GSU--great season. Great outlook for the future, too. UD, likewise with AP staying healthy, another major ground attack. Obviously, UD's more balanced attack makes it more difficult to defend. Looking forward to a good one from both "Frisco Kids". Hens my early pick by 31-21.
How stupid to say. You don't think the other team had something to do with the turnovers? Putz

Tubby Raymond
December 18th, 2010, 04:40 PM
True! Just not our day!
Dumb and dumber

You were significantly outplayed. To not admit to that is small of you.

Monarch History
December 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Congratulations to the Blue Hens! As an ODU fan I look forward to playing in the best conference in the land. Now go and bring back another National Championship trophy to Newark. xhurrayx

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM
How stupid to say. You don't think the other team had something to do with the turnovers? Putz

Not the two most crucial ones. The fumble on the opening drive was a bad snap and the other red zone turnover wasn't forced.

GSU Eagle
December 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Delaware won the game-- no question about that. Delaware played well today and deserved to win.

Turnover are part of the game and there is very little chance to turn it over 5 times and still have a chance to win. The Eagles could have made this game very interesting but just could not do it today.

I fully expect Delaware to win a national championship in 3 weeks. Congrats.

I hope next year the playoffs come through Paulson and Delaware has to pay a visit to our house.

Oldhen
December 18th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Not the two most crucial ones. The fumble on the opening drive was a bad snap and the other red zone turnover wasn't forced.

Looked to me like UD had three take-aways and GSU has two give-aways

TwoFeathers
Men against boys today. Congrats Delaware. Should be a good game on Jan 7!

Henzone
Did manbearpig play today ? Didn't see his or anyone else's name under the sack column. How about those super speedy guys? Did they take the day off too? It's very humble of you to remind us that your team is all freshmen and will have everybody back plus two tuba players and 3 cheerleaders but, I'd just like to point out that the slow dude wearing #30 that torched your super duper D for 187 yards is also a true freshman . If you run that silly offense, turnovers are part of the package.

TwoFeathers
December 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Delaware D made it look like Shaw's first day running the Triple Option. Rough outing for Ga Southern.

blueballs
December 18th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Did manbearpig play today ? Didn't see his or anyone else's name under the sack column. How about those super speedy guys? Did they take the day off too? It's very humble of you to remind us that your team is all freshmen and will have everybody back plus two tuba players and 3 cheerleaders but, I'd just like to point out that the slow dude wearing #30 that torched your super duper D for 187 yards is also a true freshman . If you run that silly offense, turnovers are part of the package.

You mean that silly offense that played in its tenth semifinal game today since 1985?

Dude you won. Today. That should be enough. Try to act like you've been there before...

Also, Russell drew two penalties today which are just as good as sacks. #30 is good, but he is a product of an experienced o-line playing at home with a lead. You should be praising your line, not the back- but to do so would mean you actually have a clue about football...

TwoFeathers
December 18th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Alot of talk about Ga Southern's 'speedy' offensive line, cutting down the 'big, slow' Delaware defensive line. Didn't happen that way today. Delaware looked well prepared for the Triple Option today.

TwoFeathers
December 18th, 2010, 05:15 PM
You mean that silly offense that played in its tenth semifinal game today since 1985?

Dude you won. Today. That should be enough. Try to act like you've been there before...

Also, Russell drew two penalties today which are just as good as sacks. #30 is good, but he is a product of an experienced o-line playing at home with a lead. You should be praising your line, not the back- but to do so would mean you actually have a clue about football...

Not sure about that. Pierce was making alot of plays through very small holes. Many times running right past Russell. I'd give him alot of credit

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Did manbearpig play today ?

I guess Russell finally met a pair of OL that he couldn't overpower 2v1. Kudos for that. That, and it was a big help that UD was able to execute very well on quick passes. Devlin is hot s*** for sure.

How about those super speedy guys? Did they take the day off too? It's very humble of you to remind us that your team is all freshmen and will have everybody back plus two tuba players and 3 cheerleaders but, I'd just like to point out that the slow dude wearing #30 that torched your super duper D for 187 yards is also a true freshman . If you run that silly offense, turnovers are part of the package.

Speed wasn't the problem. Poor execution was.

And that "silly offense" has won 6 national championships since 1985.

TwoFeathers
December 18th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I guess Russell finally met a pair of OL that he couldn't overpower 2v1. Kudos for that. That, and it was a big help that UD was able to execute very well on quick passes. Devlin is hot s*** for sure.

I was watching Russell, and I saw alot of one-on-one. Whoever the Delaware lineman was took him to school a little bit.

Henzone
December 18th, 2010, 05:30 PM

OK, I'll praise our slow bunch of mature junior linemen who will be back again next year to block for AP, the CAA rookie of the year. Not saying you guys aren't good but the pregame chit chat was all about your D, your D and your D and the toughest of all toughies,Manbearwhatever. If we doubled him all day your backers should have had a field day sacking Devlin. That didn't happen and to start talking about what you're going to do next year 5 minutes after you get your arrse whipped is really lame.

holycrossC
December 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Whats up with GS coach with that little boy hand shake at the end?wah wah wah

GSU Eagle
December 18th, 2010, 05:46 PM
So I guess when GSU played Wm and Mary it was men vs. boys also.

Tubby Raymond
December 18th, 2010, 05:58 PM
STFU, Maybe it's the fact that our ALL American NG left the field with a busted Knee and all we have left is freshman. We're gassed you dumbass. They've been on the field all day and their ate up with injuries. You are the most annoying poster on any message board I have ever been on
WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AA

Wildcat80
December 18th, 2010, 06:43 PM
So I guess when GSU played Wm and Mary it was men vs. boys also.

half boys half Marys.....:)

cowboy91
December 18th, 2010, 06:46 PM
At some point people might realize that 1) Delaware's defense is pretty good 2) Delaware is relatively fast 3) Delaware is NOT W&M.

Blue Hen Nation
December 18th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Let the Huckleberry's underestimate us. xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

citdog
December 18th, 2010, 07:09 PM
was a very good game to watch. turnovers the difference. congrats to Delaware. wonder if they will actually pick a side in this war!xrulesx xeyebrowxxnodx

Eaglesrus
December 18th, 2010, 07:14 PM
OK, I'll praise our slow bunch of mature junior linemen who will be back again next year to block for AP, the CAA rookie of the year. Not saying you guys aren't good but the pregame chit chat was all about your D, your D and your D and the toughest of all toughies,Manbearwhatever. If we doubled him all day your backers should have had a field day sacking Devlin. That didn't happen and to start talking about what you're going to do next year 5 minutes after you get your arrse whipped is really lame.

Talk about lame, your team is going to the championship game in three weeks and all you have to do after winning the game that got you there is come on a messageboard and gloat? Interesting that you contributed nothing here pre-game but couldn't wait to jump in now.

Nebuta
December 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Thought the difference was AP. That kid is crazy good. Over 150+ yards averaging over 7 yards a carry, UD's DO > GSU TO imho.

Blue Hen Nation
December 18th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Regardless of B.S. from a few, the GSU faithful were awesome in Newark. I'd invite them anyday to a Blue Hen pig roast with proper hospitality.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 18th, 2010, 07:40 PM
At some point people might realize that 1) Delaware's defense is pretty good 2) Delaware is relatively fast 3) Delaware is NOT W&M.

If not evident all year, it certainly was reinforced last week vs. UNH and, as well, this afternoon. Devlin might be the most accurate passes in FCS since the days of Santos in Durham. Very impressive team all around, .... and opportunistic, as well. Well done, UDel. ... and, GaSo is certainly back, too!

superman7515
December 18th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Regardless of B.S. from a few, the GSU faithful were awesome in Newark. I'd invite them anyday to a Blue Hen pig roast with proper hospitality.

+1

And speaking of the BS from a few, there are a few Delaware fans on here who need to get back in the box...

http://www.hybridwaterpower.com/images/Toolbox.jpg

Quit being such a tool and act like we've been here before.

Henzone
December 18th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Talk about lame, your team is going to the championship game in three weeks and all you have to do after winning the game that got you there is come on a messageboard and gloat? Interesting that you contributed nothing here pre-game but couldn't wait to jump in now.

I've been on this board since 2007 and have posted 13 times so I'm usually just a reader but the audacity of some of you was enough to bring me out of the woodwork. I'm certainly not gloating although beating a good GSU team certainly is a reason to. Just give us our due and stop moaning over and over about you poor young team . Where was all that talk earlier in the week? You thought you were going to kick our butts and said so over and over. So eat crow or eagle or goathogmonkey or just quietly crawl away.

bleedblue
December 18th, 2010, 08:32 PM
GSU won't score 34 and neither will UD. GSU will rush for a lot of yards, perhaps 220, but will have hard time getting rusing TD's. I am more concerned with their D Line. You put pressure on Pat and this game goes down to the last drive. But if he's comfortable in the pocket he will pick you apart. If he gets 2 or 3 drives where he has time it will result in 10-21 points. I just wonder if GSU beats us up with rushing yards and then as we sell out to stop the run we get burnt for one big pass play. All in all I see a 20-19 win for UD. I do see GSU getting 220-250 rushing yards with a few field goals in the mix. But UD defense will bend and more times than not they will not break. I do see this game coming down to the last drive. Good luck HENS!

GSU is a good team, although not a NC team yet. I thought #66 would have a bigger impact, aside from his 2 flags he drew which according to another GSU poster are as good as a sack (ever play football???) Anyway first of all I am thankful we don't have to hear anything more about a triple threat offense, although you may want to find a fourth option like a QB that can throw. Secondly, enough of the GSU speed advantage. UD's offense comes down to giving Pat time to throw and if he gets it he beats your D. Pat got tons of time. Our OL owned your DL and LB's. Game over.

Ivytalk
December 18th, 2010, 08:36 PM

The GSU folks I've met are great people: Baldy, Eaglegus2, blueballs, bobbythekidd, and Eaglesrus included.

Congrats to UD! Now it's on to Frisco for another NC for The Man in the Shades.

bluehenbillk
December 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Quick thoughts on the game. Kudos to UD's OL and AP - they had the upper hand from start to finish. Couldn't believe AP had 180-plus and no sacks on Devlin.

UD's defense continues to play lights out. They ran the same defense basically they did against Navy last fall - took away the dive, limited the QB and make the highest-risk part of the TO beat you, the pitch play. Credit to GSU, they had some nice plays and racked up some yards on it but turned the ball over too much.

I'm sure GSU will be a playoff regular again moving forward but for 2010 UD again showed today there may not be a better squad in FCS.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 18th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I just finished watching the game (I had to work, so I DVRed it and had to slap my itching fingers away from my phone and ESPN mobile all day). Wow, what a game! We're going to Frisco baby! Congrats to GaSou for playing a good game, your team had me worried for the first quarter.

parr90
December 18th, 2010, 08:46 PM
GSU will be very good and are on their way back but they have to throw the ball better and need a difference maker in the TO. They seem to run their offense by committee and don't have that one guy they can lean on.

Much of that is because this is the first year in 5 that we have run this offense and these players werent recruited to play in the TO. Surprised really that we got this far this year in this system with these players. Most return next year though.

parr90
December 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I was watching Russell, and I saw alot of one-on-one. Whoever the Delaware lineman was took him to school a little bit.

Yeah I watched him too and they were cutting him half the time.

GATA
December 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I don't know who's more delusional...GSU fans or UD fans.

If you thought that was a "dominating" performance by Delaware then you've never seen a team get dominated before.

GATA
December 18th, 2010, 09:08 PM
GSU is a good team, although not a NC team yet. I thought #66 would have a bigger impact, aside from his 2 flags he drew which according to another GSU poster are as good as a sack (ever play football???) Anyway first of all I am thankful we don't have to hear anything more about a triple threat offense, although you may want to find a fourth option like a QB that can throw. Secondly, enough of the GSU speed advantage. UD's offense comes down to giving Pat time to throw and if he gets it he beats your D. Pat got tons of time. Our OL owned your DL and LB's. Game over.

People were talking about a GSU speed advantage!? Who!? I swear fans are morons....we're not a fast team in the least bit...maybe on defense, but on offense we've got mediocre speed at best. People just shoot off at the mouth and don't know what the **** they're talking about.

Truth of the matter is...this team surprised everybody because in reality they couldn't hold a candle to the speed/talent on our 2004, 2005, 2002 teams etc...

I think that's what makes this playoff run so weird. I've seen so many other GSU teams with so much more talent go down early in the playoffs...oh well. Good game by the Hens. You guys are very big and very athletic.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 18th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I don't know who's more delusional...GSU fans or UD fans.

If you thought that was a "dominating" performance by Delaware then you've never seen a team get dominated before.

It was a solid win, but I'll agree it wasn't dominating. Still, UD was easily in control of the game from about midway through the first quarter on. Delaware plays very conservative risk-averse football. The reason we have so few turnovers and penalties compared to other teams is that we err on the side of caution more often than not. That has cost us a game here and there, but in games like this it has led to wins.

GaSou presented an early threat and never really developed on it. The Eagle passing game didn't start to come together until way too late in the second half, and while the triple option confused the UD defense a bit early on, this year's crop of GaSou offensive players just don't run it well enough to fool Delaware's seasoned defense for long. Good game from GaSou, you put up a decent fight, but this just wasn't your year. With your young team though, I wouldn't be surprised to see you right back in the semis or even the NC game next year, and given the improvements you are likely to make, I hope we don't end up in your bracket for next year's playoffs.

GATA
December 18th, 2010, 09:15 PM
It was a solid win, but I'll agree it wasn't dominating. Still, UD was easily in control of the game from about midway through the first quarter on. Delaware plays very conservative risk-averse football. The reason we have so few turnovers and penalties compared to other teams is that we err on the side of caution more often than not. That has cost us a game here and there, but in games like this it has led to wins.

GaSou presented an early threat and never really developed on it. The Eagle passing game didn't start to come together until way too late in the second half, and while the triple option confused the UD defense a bit early on, this year's crop of GaSou offensive players just don't run it well enough to fool Delaware's seasoned defense for long. Good game from GaSou, you put up a decent fight, but this just wasn't your year. With your young team though, I wouldn't be surprised to see you right back in the semis or even the NC game next year, and given the improvements you are likely to make, I hope we don't end up in your bracket for next year's playoffs.

I agree totally. I think that's what really makes you guys tough. Had we executed a little better early in the game (specifically the two turnovers in the two redzone trips) I think we could have seen a much more exciting game at the end, but Delaware is simply not going to beat themselves. If GSU was gonna win they were gonna have to earn it and clearly we couldn't get the job done.

It's tough to beat a team that's flat out as big and athletic as UD is without a little help. You'd be hard pressed to find a team with an overall better collection of athletes on this level so your strategy of taking care of the ball first is really effective. For the most part you guys were never under any real pressure and were able to play your game and watch us self destruct.

GSU Eagle
December 18th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't say Delaware had control of the game from midway through the first quarter. To start the 2nd half it was 10-3 and we had the ball on Delaware's about 30 yard line. Shaw's fumble on the 3rd and 9 play at your 37 sort of turned the game. If we take it in and score there it is a 10-10 game. I give Delaware credit for having a good plan, but we had a chance there about halfway through the 3rd quarter to possibly tie the game.

Oldhen
December 18th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Had we executed a little better early in the game (specifically the two turnovers in the two redzone trips) I think we could have seen a much more exciting game at the end

Well.... I'm glad we won, but I wish those TO's hadn't happened, in a way.

I mean, Devlin only threw twice in the second half... once for a TD. UD just played VERY conservatively after the half, and rode AP and that 40 lb/man advantage the OL had all the way to the finals. I really wish he'd been forced to throw more. I enjoy the $*** out of watching him.

cowboy91
December 18th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Rooting for Delaware to say you lost to the champions, huh?

BlueHenSinfonian
December 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't say Delaware had control of the game from midway through the first quarter. To start the 2nd half it was 10-3 and we had the ball on Delaware's about 30 yard line. Shaw's fumble on the 3rd and 9 play at your 37 sort of turned the game. If we take it in and score there it is a 10-10 game. I give Delaware credit for having a good plan, but we had a chance there about halfway through the 3rd quarter to possibly tie the game.

To me, there is a difference between controlling the pace and momentum of the game and having an unsurmountable advantage. GaSou could have certainly come back from many points, but by midway through the first quarter, it was clear that the UD had found a way to neutralize most of the threat from the TO, and was able to move the ball on their own. The fumbles certainly hurt GaSou a lot, and that's where control of the pace really comes into play - it was a one score game for a good while, but even if GaSou had tied it up earlier, Delaware was on pace to put itself back into the lead again.

Oldhen
December 18th, 2010, 09:43 PM
A warm congratulations to Delaware for its great semi-finals victory!

Thank you for your grace and class.

blukeys
December 18th, 2010, 09:52 PM

This is one of those areas I take issue with GSU fans. The idea that turnovers are some act of God and just happen is inaccurate and bogus. On the above mentioned 3rd and Nine play Jaybo Shaw was sacked on an attempted pass and the Delaware Defense knocked the ball out of his hand. This was a FORCED turnover as was the the hit on 19 Wilcox that caused another turnover.

One of the disadvantages of the TO is that good defenses can create penetration in order to create turnovers. This is why Jaybo pitched the ball into the hands of a UD defensive end. UD had penetration and was increasingly doing so as the game went on.

The TO has benefits but it also has a down side. The UD defense FORCED key turnovers as was the plan.

If you rush the passer you may get some interceptions. If you disrupt the TO you will get your turnover chances.

Delaware blew a fumble chance early on in the first GSU drive. GSU folks act as if it never happenned.

Delaware dictated the pace and flow of this game. I was there and never thought that UD was not in control. I knew the run plays in the games beginning were meant to hammer the GSU defense and this paid off in the 4th quarter.

It was a conservative game plan meant to highlight the advantages UD had. It worked.

Blue Hen 53
December 18th, 2010, 09:52 PM
GSU #37 is quite a player! Did I hear correctly he was/is a back up?

pitpen
December 18th, 2010, 09:58 PM
A warm congratulations to Delaware for its great semi-finals victory!

And God bless the Packers...

Eagle22
December 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
GSU #37 is quite a player! Did I hear correctly he was/is a back up?

Yes. True freshman linebacker. Three players out of Westside HS (Macon, Ga) started this season as true freshmen .... Carlos Cave, #37 .... Robert Brown, #5 and Dorian Byrd, # 71 ... all have logged significant time this season and have been a big part of our success.

seantaylor
December 19th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Jaybo can run the option well, but he is not our answer to win a championship. Not sure we've ever had a worse passer, including Foster. Would love for McKinnon or Youtube to get a real shot at the #1 spot next year.

superman7515
December 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Jaybo can run the option well, but he is not our answer to win a championship. Not sure we've ever had a worse passer, including Foster. Would love for McKinnon or Youtube to get a real shot at the #1 spot next year.

Alright, someone from GSU is going to say this is smack, but it really isn't meant to be. When Shaw got called for intentional grounding, my immediate thought was (and still is) that I didn't think it was intentional grounding, I thought it was just that poor of a pass. I mean, there was a receiver kinda sorta almost in the area if he was able to leap about 20 feet straight up and catch what looked like a wounded duck falling out of ths sky. Not meant to talk down to the kid, but he wasn't a homerun threat to run and when he didn't complete a pass until the 4th quarter, that didn't help things any. But I still say he just missed the reciever THAT bad. On a side note, if you plan on getting Youyoute in there, you need to get that kid some sleeves. He must be from a warm weather state because he spent the entire game standing in front of the salamander heater with his hands in his warmers. Haha

blueballs
December 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM
On a side note, if you plan on getting Youyoute in there, you need to get that kid some sleeves. He must be from a warm weather state because he spent the entire game standing in front of the salamander heater with his hands in his warmers. Haha

Haitian descent from the panhandle of Florida... I bet he was cold. LOL

He took a redshirt this year. I'm interested to see how he does come spring and into fall camp- when it will be warmer than 35.

blukeys
December 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Alright, someone from GSU is going to say this is smack, but it really isn't meant to be. When Shaw got called for intentional grounding, my immediate thought was (and still is) that I didn't think it was intentional grounding, I thought it was just that poor of a pass. I mean, there was a receiver kinda sorta almost in the area if he was able to leap about 20 feet straight up and catch what looked like a wounded duck falling out of ths sky. Not meant to talk down to the kid, but he wasn't a homerun threat to run and when he didn't complete a pass until the 4th quarter, that didn't help things any. But I still say he just missed the reciever THAT bad. On a side note, if you plan on getting Youyoute in there, you need to get that kid some sleeves. He must be from a warm weather state because he spent the entire game standing in front of the salamander heater with his hands in his warmers. Haha

He wasn't alone. The spot in front of that heater was the most crowded place on the GSU sideline.

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
It wasn't intentional grounding, but GSU didn't lose because of Shaw's inability to throw a pass.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 19th, 2010, 04:13 PM
While Jaybo wasn't exactly Peyton Manning out there today, he has been a good passer for us all year.

I guess someone doesn't remember when Jaybo was out and we had to rely on McKinnon to pass... or try to pass.. it wasn't pretty at all. Jaybo is a MUCH better passer than McKinnon right now. Without a doubt. No question about it.

blukeys
December 19th, 2010, 04:14 PM
While Jaybo wasn't exactly Peyton Manning out there today, he has been a good passer for us all year.

I guess someone doesn't remember when Jaybo was out and we had to rely on McKinnon to pass... or try to pass.. it wasn't pretty at all. Jaybo is a MUCH better passer than McKinnon right now. Without a doubt. No question about it.

Wow that is really SAD.

GSU Eagle
December 19th, 2010, 04:26 PM
What our Delaware friends need to understand is that we did not lose this game because we didn't complete lots of passes. Turnovers cost us a chance in this game. We moved the ball on the ground and were in the red zone several times when we fumbled it away.

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 04:46 PM
You also couldn't stop Devlin or AP.

Who's fault is it that GSU fumbled?

GSU Eagle
December 19th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Delaware did cause some of the turnovers-- I would say 2 maybe 3 of them. The others were not caused; we just screwed up.

Yes Devlin moved the ball with short passes and the running back hurt us, but it is not like we were just dominated as many Delaware posters want to picture it.

We turned the ball over 3 times inside of Delaware's 30 yard line. Put points on the board on those trips and the game would have been very interesting.

blukeys
December 19th, 2010, 05:27 PM
What our Delaware friends need to understand is that we did not lose this game because we didn't complete lots of passes. Turnovers cost us a chance in this game. We moved the ball on the ground and were in the red zone several times when we fumbled it away.

What our GSU friends need to know is that Delaware's d practiced to create turnovers (this is according to KC Keeler) The more plays GSU runs on offense the more opportunities one has to see GSU put it on the carpet. Delaware has been using this defensive gameplan since 1997.

Again turnovers are not an act of God. UD sacked Jaybo and knocked the ball out of his hand. UD knocked Wilcox on his butt and he coughed up the ball. You guys run a high risk offense and you ran into a team who knew how to take advantage of it. I don't expect any concurrence from GSU fans as you guys are incapable of objective analysis.

The fact is our d coordinator knew that against an average defense GSU gave up 2 fumbles per game. We have a better than average defense and saw that your team was weak on ball security and we worked on that.

If we played you guys next week we would kick your butts worse as we would have another week to prepare for the TO.

Shaw is not a running threat. Your inside game is lame and this UD Defense would focus on your pitch game and shut it down.

For the record Shaw did not complete a pass until the 4th quarter. By then UD defenders were playing 10 yards off of the GSU receivers.

For some reason GSU folks forget the 4th quarter pure running drives by the Hens. The GSU defenders could not stop UD after 45 minutes.

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Delaware did cause some of the turnovers-- I would say 2 maybe 3 of them. The others were not caused; we just screwed up.

Yes Devlin moved the ball with short passes and the running back hurt us, but it is not like we were just dominated as many Delaware posters want to picture it.

We turned the ball over 3 times inside of Delaware's 30 yard line. Put points on the board on those trips and the game would have been very interesting.

I think if we played again next week, we beat you up again by a larger margin. Given the choice to play EWU or GSU for the championship game, I wish we were playing GSU because EWU is a scarier team right now

GSU Eagle
December 19th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Don't worry -- you will at some point in the future get another chance to play GSU.

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 05:36 PM

If we want to play the 'what if' game, don't you think if Delaware isn't up then Devlin throws more than twice in the second half?

GSU Eagle
December 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM
You guys seem to refuse to give Georgia Southern any credit. Oh well. We lost so you are entitled to gloat I guess.

Blue Hen 53
December 19th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Thank goodness for my Hens! Just returned home from the Giants game...worst meltdown I have ever witnessed!!!!!!!

GSU Eagle
December 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I'll just leave it at this: I do not agree that Georgia Southern was dominated by Delaware.

Blue Hen 53
December 19th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I'll just leave it at this: I do not agree that Georgia Southern was dominated by Delaware.

Whatever. Enjoy watching the game Jan 7th!

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Don't worry -- you will at some point in the future get another chance to play GSU.

Hopefully so, just saying next week we beat you again.... 2 years from now... who knows?

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM

That's fine, you can think what you want. If my team just had it's lunch handed to them on the line of scrimmage I would probably think the same. It's cool. In 13 years we'll see GSU in the semifinals again? Hopefully not.

Should we give "credit" to Georgia Southern for "giving" UD the game? Whatever gets you through until spring ball I guess, no worries.

GSU EAGLES
December 19th, 2010, 06:57 PM
That's fine, you can think what you want. If my team just had it's lunch handed to them on the line of scrimmage I would probably think the same. It's cool. In 13 years we'll see GSU in the semifinals again? Hopefully not.

Should we give "credit" to Georgia Southern for "giving" UD the game? Whatever gets you through until spring ball I guess, no worries.

In about 150 years we'll see Delaware win its 6th FCS championship to match GSU's 2010 number.

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM
In about 150 years we'll see Delaware win its 6th FCS championship to match GSU's 2010 number.

You did notice the "hopefully not?" part, right?

GSU Eagle
December 19th, 2010, 07:40 PM
GSU Eagle (me) and GSU Eagles are 2 different people. Just keep that in mind.

Be careful Delaware fans. The constant bragging about how unstoppable and unbeatable your team is has a way of coming back to bite you.

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 07:45 PM
GSU Eagle (me) and GSU Eagles are 2 different people. Just keep that in mind.

Be careful Delaware fans. The constant bragging about how unstoppable and unbeatable your team is has a way of coming back to bite you.

Because fan message board posts impact football games how?

GATA
December 19th, 2010, 09:55 PM

Are you ****ing insane? Mckinnon is a terrible passer. Much more athletic...but a terrible passer at this time. Now Youyoute...nobody really knows because he only has about 3 actual game snaps under his belt. I'm sure will bring in more QBs in this next recruiting class...might be better than anybody we currently have anyway.

Plus, weren't you one of the folks extolling the virtues of Lee Chapple? Your judgment is ****.

GATA
December 19th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I agree with the Delaware fans here.

On Saturday we witnessed a team get dominated so badly that the score was 17-10 with 6 minutes to go in the game...PREPARE FOR TOTAL DOMINATION!!!!

The unstoppable juggernaut that is Delaware was just too much to handle. I'm sure they were in no way fortunate to have GSU fumble the ball all over the place.

...I'm not so sure how such an unstoppable team could have lost to William and Mary, but go figure...it's probably because W&M didn't turn it over 5 times...

GATA
December 19th, 2010, 10:04 PM
This is one of those areas I take issue with GSU fans. The idea that turnovers are some act of God and just happen is inaccurate and bogus. On the above mentioned 3rd and Nine play Jaybo Shaw was sacked on an attempted pass and the Delaware Defense knocked the ball out of his hand. This was a FORCED turnover as was the the hit on 19 Wilcox that caused another turnover.

One of the disadvantages of the TO is that good defenses can create penetration in order to create turnovers. This is why Jaybo pitched the ball into the hands of a UD defensive end. UD had penetration and was increasingly doing so as the game went on.

The TO has benefits but it also has a down side. The UD defense FORCED key turnovers as was the plan.

If you rush the passer you may get some interceptions. If you disrupt the TO you will get your turnover chances.

Delaware blew a fumble chance early on in the first GSU drive. GSU folks act as if it never happenned.

Delaware dictated the pace and flow of this game. I was there and never thought that UD was not in control. I knew the run plays in the games beginning were meant to hammer the GSU defense and this paid off in the 4th quarter.

It was a conservative game plan meant to highlight the advantages UD had. It worked.

let's just put this nonsense to bed...jesus christ. This isn't hard folks. Some turnovers are "forced"...some are just "dumb luck"

1. fumble on the 1 yard line---dumb luck.
2. fumble by Wilcox in the redzone---dumb luck/"forced"...I'll push here because it's not like a UD defender stripped the ball from him...he simply got hit and dropped the football...it wasn't even a big hit.
3. Jaybo Shaw fumble on the sack---CLEARLY forced turnover.
4. Jaybo Shaw ball intercepted---dumb luck. The ball hit our receiver in the chest and bounced right to a UD player...wasn't "forced" in the least bit.
5. Jaybo Shaw pitch intercepted---FORCED...great penetration by UD defense made Jaybo panic.

Put this topic to bed.

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 10:44 PM

On Saturday we witnessed a team get dominated so badly that the score was 17-10 with 6 minutes to go in the game...PREPARE FOR TOTAL DOMINATION!!!!

The unstoppable juggernaut that is Delaware was just too much to handle. I'm sure they were in no way fortunate to have GSU fumble the ball all over the place.

...I'm not so sure how such an unstoppable team could have lost to William and Mary, but go figure...it's probably because W&M didn't turn it over 5 times...

Well, we didn't lose to powerhouses like Chattanooga and Samford.

Suppose GSU didn't fumble it that often, and still lost, then that would have been okay?

Besides the opening drive and the one 50 yard run what did GSU really do offensively against Delaware? Not much.

seantaylor
December 19th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Are you ****ing insane? Mckinnon is a terrible passer. Much more athletic...but a terrible passer at this time. Now Youyoute...nobody really knows because he only has about 3 actual game snaps under his belt. I'm sure will bring in more QBs in this next recruiting class...might be better than anybody we currently have anyway.

Plus, weren't you one of the folks extolling the virtues of Lee Chapple? Your judgment is ****.

Hey dbag, no one said anything about their passing. McKinnon is a much better runner, so that is an element that defenses would have to worry about like crazy. You say McKinnon is a much worse passer after seeing him in one game as a true freshman throwing the ball. Thank god for your talent evaluation. Go back to your Xbox.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Forcing the pitch is what everyone in the SoCon will probably try to do now.

Oldhen
December 20th, 2010, 05:34 AM

Well, it was pretty clear to me after the first quarter that: (1) GSU was going to have to work real hard for yards, and (2) UD's OL was in charge of the LOS. Total domination? Meh... maybe not, but it's how you win football games.

I think there are two points of view on the turnovers. Any number of GSU fans think they were just inexplicable unforced errors that had nothing to do with the defense they were playing.

In fact, three of them were times the defense just flat took the ball away from you and there just wasn't a damn thing your players could have done about it.... except maybe taking a knee after the snap.

The fourth time was a mystery. Now, from my look at the play, it appeared to be a clean strip by a UD player.... and I'd count that one as a take-away, too. Several GSU fans have expressed an alternative explanation... that this is (essentially) one of those flukey things that happens to a poorly-secured ball due to atmospheric resistance when one of their *****-hot runners breaks the sound barrier. Fortunately, UD players are too slow to have to cope with this.

The first one was clearly GSU with 'the oopsies' ... and it was a big one, no question. Game changer? Probably not, but it might have forced Devlin to throw more than two times in the second half.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 10:27 AM
You would think that Delaware didn't win the game, but Georgia Southern lost.

Just wondering, how many points did Delaware score directly off the GSU turnovers? 3.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 10:43 AM

I thought Jaybo Shaw was the second coming of Triple-Option greatness at GSU.... are you guys jumping ship on him now?

gsu6trophies
December 20th, 2010, 10:44 AM
You would think that Delaware didn't win the game, but Georgia Southern lost.

Just wondering, how many points did Delaware score directly off the GSU turnovers? 3.

I would say the point is how many points did we leave on the field because of turnovers. possibly 10? 14? You never know. However, I don't do revisionist history on football games. There is not telling how the game is played different if one thing or another did or didn't happen. If GSU scores twice in the first half of the game instead of fumbling it could have numerous effects. One of them could have been more pressure on UD and a momentum shift that would have helped the our D force a turnover. The other could have been Devlin throwing for 400 yards in the second half. You never know. the fact of the matter is that all of the fumbles we're forced. Maybe with exception of the 1st one. If the defense isn't in place on Wilcox and the blocking is perfect then it's a non issue and he can juggle the ball all the way to the endzone. If Laron doesn't touch the kickoff before it goes out of bounds we're probably not even throwing the ball and if we are, if the blocking was better Jaybo doesn't get pressured. Very few turnovers are gifts. The one on the goal line was the closest thing, but even then. If the UD defense doesn't keep us from getting in the endzone the play prior we don't even snap that ball. So yes they are forced the turnovers. Delaware has a good team. Did a great job. We needed to play a perfect game to beat them. And we probably needed a few breaks too. Even if we had never turned the ball over how many mistakes did the blue hens make? One bad snap after a scary situation. that's about it. Can't take anything away from their team. And I don't take anything away from ours. our guys played there hearts out to get to that point. It was improbable to have a run that long. I think fatigue and injuries set in and we played a damn good football team that beat us by three scores. It's not as if they kicked a field goal to win it. However, if we played this team again next week, i still think we have a shot to beat them. And we would still need a perfect game and some breaks. We're back though.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM

W&M was home eating Thanksgiving turkey the first week, and didn't prepare at all for the Triple Option the second week of their 2 weeks off. Delaware and W&M are very similar, and I say W&M wins 2 out of 3 against GSU... if only I had a time machine.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I would say the point is how many points did we leave on the field because of turnovers. possibly 10? 14? You never know. However, I don't do revisionist history on football games. There is not telling how the game is played different if one thing or another did or didn't happen. If GSU scores twice in the first half of the game instead of fumbling it could have numerous effects. One of them could have been more pressure on UD and a momentum shift that would have helped the our D force a turnover. The other could have been Devlin throwing for 400 yards in the second half. You never know. the fact of the matter is that all of the fumbles we're forced. Maybe with exception of the 1st one. If the defense isn't in place on Wilcox and the blocking is perfect then it's a non issue and he can juggle the ball all the way to the endzone. If Laron doesn't touch the kickoff before it goes out of bounds we're probably not even throwing the ball and if we are, if the blocking was better Jaybo doesn't get pressured. Very few turnovers are gifts. The one on the goal line was the closest thing, but even then. If the UD defense doesn't keep us from getting in the endzone the play prior we don't even snap that ball. So yes they are forced the turnovers. Delaware has a good team. Did a great job. We needed to play a perfect game to beat them. And we probably needed a few breaks too. Even if we had never turned the ball over how many mistakes did the blue hens make? One bad snap after a scary situation. that's about it. Can't take anything away from their team. And I don't take anything away from ours. our guys played there hearts out to get to that point. It was improbable to have a run that long. I think fatigue and injuries set in and we played a damn good football team that beat us by three scores. It's not as if they kicked a field goal to win it. However, if we played this team again next week, i still think we have a shot to beat them. And we would still need a perfect game and some breaks. We're back though.

Isn't that what you're doing? You and me, we'll build a time machine. And this time, W&M beats GSU so you don't have to revise your history about the Delaware game... all in good fun ;)

gsu6trophies
December 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I thought Jaybo Shaw was the second coming of Triple-Option greatness at GSU.... are you guys jumping ship on him now?

I think everyone would agree that we would be 3-8 without him. There is not telling what he could do had he stepped into an already existing TO offensive team. We may never know. We have been beyod fortunate to have him. I think the point is that the FCS record books are full of GSU QBs. The chances are that we will land another Ham, Gross, Hill, Foster, or even Williams. All of them are in the top ten of either rushing yards for a qb, combination of rushing passing or rushing touchdowns either for a carreer or season.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I don't think I've ever seen the words "might" "could" "if" "would" used more to describe a football game. Last time I checked turnovers are part of the game, just like special teams, just like penalties.

I think when you play the "they didn't beat us, we beat ourselves" game it does nothing but discredit the fact that the other team won.

Georgia Southern didn't beat Georgia Southern on Saturday. Delaware did.

gsu6trophies
December 20th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I guess revisionist with an absolute answer. I.E. If the civil war never happened civil rights would be decaded behind. You can never really know what would have happened had history been different.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I think everyone would agree that we would be 3-8 without him. There is not telling what he could do had he stepped into an already existing TO offensive team. We may never know. We have been beyod fortunate to have him. I think the point is that the FCS record books are full of GSU QBs. The chances are that we will land another Ham, Gross, Hill, Foster, or even Williams. All of them are in the top ten of either rushing yards for a qb, combination of rushing passing or rushing touchdowns either for a carreer or season.

I was watching highlights of that kid Jayson Foster, and he was ridiculous!

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 11:10 AM

You're talking about the Triple Option, right??? Just checking... ;)

gsu6trophies
December 20th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I was watching highlights of that kid Jayson Foster, and he was ridiculous!

Sad thing 2 feaths, in 05 Van Gorder left him on the bench half the time. What a dumby

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Sad thing 2 feaths, in 05 Van Gorder left him on the bench half the time. What a dumby

He was the fastest kid on any field he was playing on. Looked like a young Barry Sanders out there with all his moves...

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 11:20 AM
You're talking about the Triple Option, right??? Just checking... ;)

When you take away the dive then you make their triple option become only one or two options.

Baldy
December 20th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Second coming? According to whom?

Shaw's strengths are his leadership, his knowledge of the offense, his ability to make good pitches, and his ability to make the correct reads most of the time.
If there were a Chaz Williams, or a JR Revere, or a Greg Hill, or a Jayson Foster, etc. etc. etc. on the roster, I doubt Shaw wouldn't even see the field. Even with his lack of athletic prowess, he is exactly what we needed during this year of transition....a leader who can also serve as a coach on the field teaching the other players the fundamentals of this difficult offense.

Baldy
December 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Not sure what you're trying to say, but the pitch is a major part of this offense. xconfusedx

Baldy
December 20th, 2010, 11:24 AM
When you take away the dive then you make their triple option become only one or two options.

When you make the adjustments to stop the dive, you're leaving the edges open for exploitation. When you change the scheme to protect the edges, you open up the FB dive. It's a viscious circle.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Just replace the H and the A in his last name with a L and O.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM
When you make the adjustments to stop the dive, you're leaving the edges open for exploitation. When you change the scheme to protect the edges, you open up the FB dive. It's a viscious circle.

Well it worked enough for Delaware, didn't it? It forced the pitches outside, which forced the turnovers, right?

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Second coming? According to whom?

Shaw's strengths are his leadership, his knowledge of the offense, his ability to make good pitches, and his ability to make the correct reads most of the time.
If there were a Chaz Williams, or a JR Revere, or a Greg Hill, or a Jayson Foster, etc. etc. etc. on the roster, I doubt Shaw wouldn't even see the field. Even with his lack of athletic prowess, he is exactly what we needed during this year of transition....a leader who can also serve as a coach on the field teaching the other players the fundamentals of this difficult offense.

I was referring to this year. Agree with you on the rest.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 11:32 AM

I think he's saying that, if you can stop the dive, they will be forced to focus more on the pitch, which will lead to turn-overs. Delaware implemented that pretty well. I think Brown had what, 48-49 yards total? For GSU, that is shutting down the dive.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Brown had 49 yards. McKinnon had 101 - mainly from the 53 yard run.

Oh wait, can we take back that 53 yard run so it doesn't count? Besides the opening drive and that 53 yard run GSU's offense didn't really have any big plays.

gsu6trophies
December 20th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Well it worked enough for Delaware, didn't it? It forced the pitches outside, which forced the turnovers, right?

The turnovers on the pitch are less likely when the team has been running the offense a little longer. it's a high risk/reward offense. being able to hold on to the ball in the face of oncoming tacklers is part of the deal. We got a long way to go in that area. The other thing I don't understand is everyone thinking there is secret formula to shutting down the spread option. Been hearing this for all of my life. There is no magic formula. Sometimes defenses try things that work and the OC doesn't find the adjustment or doesn't have the athletes to make the adjustments. Sometimes a Defense finds something that works pretty well but the OC makes the adjustments to overcome it. It's just like any other offense. Different variables such as coaching, athletes, field conditions, game situations, etc make the difference in whether the defense is succesful in stopping it or not. Just like if you ran the power I or west coast or whatever. It's not like it's unstoppable or that it's one trick pony in which you only need one magical answer to end it forever. After a lifetime of hearing about the magic formual and 6 national titles and 40+ playoff wins (GSU), 7 commander and chief trophies and 8 straight bowl games (navy), and an ACC title (GT) you still hear the same thing.

GannonFan
December 20th, 2010, 12:34 PM
The turnovers on the pitch are less likely when the team has been running the offense a little longer. it's a high risk/reward offense. being able to hold on to the ball in the face of oncoming tacklers is part of the deal. We got a long way to go in that area. The other thing I don't understand is everyone thinking there is secret formula to shutting down the spread option. Been hearing this for all of my life. There is no magic formula. Sometimes defenses try things that work and the OC doesn't find the adjustment or doesn't have the athletes to make the adjustments. Sometimes a Defense finds something that works pretty well but the OC makes the adjustments to overcome it. It's just like any other offense. Different variables such as coaching, athletes, field conditions, game situations, etc make the difference in whether the defense is succesful in stopping it or not. Just like if you ran the power I or west coast or whatever. It's not like it's unstoppable or that it's one trick pony in which you only need one magical answer to end it forever. After a lifetime of hearing about the magic formual and 6 national titles and 40+ playoff wins (GSU), 7 commander and chief trophies and 8 straight bowl games (navy), and an ACC title (GT) you still hear the same thing.

The thing is, though, it was mainly GSU fans touting the TO offense and that UD wouldn't be able to stop it - even with the young personnel. I think most people realize that there's no one offensive scheme that is inherently better than another, as you allude to all of them can be stopped and all of them can be successful. But there was plenty of chest beating in the week leading up to the game that the TO offense would be the difference maker in favor of GSU.

gsu6trophies
December 20th, 2010, 12:40 PM
The thing is, though, it was mainly GSU fans touting the TO offense and that UD wouldn't be able to stop it - even with the young personnel. I think most people realize that there's no one offensive scheme that is inherently better than another, as you allude to all of them can be stopped and all of them can be successful. But there was plenty of chest beating in the week leading up to the game that the TO offense would be the difference maker in favor of GSU.

yeah, I have heard that too, and disagree with it too. Though it does have it's advantages when playing teams that don't see it often. However, that's not what I was referring too. I was referring to the belief that piling everyone in the box to stop the FB will spell doom for the option forever. Like noone has thought of that till now. And there has always been, and will probably always be people who chest thump about how their team has the magic solution to stopping the option. And I think the TO was a difference maker, or at least I would cringe if we had to see what our last year's bubble screen offense would have done against Del's D.

Baldy
December 20th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Only one of the turnovers was on a pitch. The others were poor ball protection.

Baldy
December 20th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I think he's saying that, if you can stop the dive, they will be forced to focus more on the pitch, which will lead to turn-overs. Delaware implemented that pretty well. I think Brown had what, 48-49 yards total? For GSU, that is shutting down the dive.
Brown didn't have very many attempts during the game, and I would say about 1/3 of his touches were pitches. UD did a good job stopping the dive, but my opinion is we didn't run the dive enough.

Baldy
December 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Just replace the H and the A in his last name with a L and O.
Exactly, and when we recruit more players who fit the system the way we want to run it, the speed of the offense and the game itself will pick up tremendously which will make it more potent and dangerous.

Oldhen
December 20th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Only one of the turnovers was on a pitch. The others were poor ball protection.

OK.

FWIW, your QB couldn't have protected the ball on the sack if he had the 82nd Airborne on his side. He got clobbered, and ANY QB would have coughed it up unless he saw the hit coming with plenty of time time to brace and wrap it up.... Ditto with the pick. I agree he probably shouldn't have passed the ball, but from what I saw all those 'forward pass' plays should be ripped out of your playbook until Jaybo graduates. And I haven't seen ONE GSU fan who gives UD any credit for a clean strip or picking off an handoff... you guys had ONE turnover from an unforced error. ONE!

... man, talk about your basic revisionist history.

Like I said in another post, the best way for you have to protected the ball on those particular plays would have been to take a knee. The defense robbed you of possession on those plays. You didn't say 'oopsie' and drop it like on the bad snap. That was the one that was poor execution.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I can't find many GSU fans that actually give Delaware credit for winning, for that matter. All the turnovers apparently were unforced and they were the better team.

gsu6trophies
December 20th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I can't find many GSU fans that actually give Delaware credit for winning, for that matter. All the turnovers apparently were unforced and they were the better team.

That's because you're just looking for someone to talk smack with. Try actually looking. Like three pages back:

"I would say the point is how many points did we leave on the field because of turnovers. possibly 10? 14? You never know. However, I don't do revisionist history on football games. There is not telling how the game is played different if one thing or another did or didn't happen. If GSU scores twice in the first half of the game instead of fumbling it could have numerous effects. One of them could have been more pressure on UD and a momentum shift that would have helped the our D force a turnover. The other could have been Devlin throwing for 400 yards in the second half. You never know. the fact of the matter is that all of the fumbles we're forced. Maybe with exception of the 1st one. If the defense isn't in place on Wilcox and the blocking is perfect then it's a non issue and he can juggle the ball all the way to the endzone. If Laron doesn't touch the kickoff before it goes out of bounds we're probably not even throwing the ball and if we are, if the blocking was better Jaybo doesn't get pressured. Very few turnovers are gifts. The one on the goal line was the closest thing, but even then. If the UD defense doesn't keep us from getting in the endzone the play prior we don't even snap that ball. So yes they are forced the turnovers. Delaware has a good team. Did a great job. We needed to play a perfect game to beat them. And we probably needed a few breaks too. Even if we had never turned the ball over how many mistakes did the blue hens make? One bad snap after a scary situation. that's about it. Can't take anything away from their team. And I don't take anything away from ours. our guys played there hearts out to get to that point. It was improbable to have a run that long. I think fatigue and injuries set in and we played a damn good football team that beat us by three scores. It's not as if they kicked a field goal to win it. However, if we played this team again next week, i still think we have a shot to beat them. And we would still need a perfect game and some breaks. We're back though"

GannonFan
December 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
yeah, I have heard that too, and disagree with it too. Though it does have it's advantages when playing teams that don't see it often. However, that's not what I was referring too. I was referring to the belief that piling everyone in the box to stop the FB will spell doom for the option forever. Like noone has thought of that till now. And there has always been, and will probably always be people who chest thump about how their team has the magic solution to stopping the option. And I think the TO was a difference maker, or at least I would cringe if we had to see what our last year's bubble screen offense would have done against Del's D.

The Wing T was good at beating teams who had never seen an offense even similar to it (Montana in '93, NELa in '92, Portland St in '00, Samford in '92, etc). But ultimately, though, the deeper you go in the playoffs the more likley you are to face a team that has a great overall defense. At that point, whatever gimicks your offense has that befuddles lesser defenses are less likley to befuddle the great defenses and then it comes down to execution - who can run their system better than the other. That's why what offense you run is pretty unimportant - how well you run it versus how well someone defends it is the most important thing.

Against a TO, it's common practice to take away something and hope you can then defend what's left. UD, as they do typically against Navy, choose to remove the dive as a viable weapon by jamming the a-gap. Shaw wasn't much of a threat to run himself so that really left just the option pitch as the play that was "open" and UD hoped and was proven true that they had enough talent in the defensive backfield and the linebackers to contain the pitch enough to win. Delaware's D is really, really good. I think they may be even better than the much vaunted '03 D. Points are very, very hard to get against UD. Good defenses can typically defend anything, scheme be damned.

GannonFan
December 20th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Brown didn't have very many attempts during the game, and I would say about 1/3 of his touches were pitches. UD did a good job stopping the dive, but my opinion is we didn't run the dive enough.

They could have run the dive all day and it wouldn't have mattered. UD committed two LB'ers to the A gap on every snap - the dive just wasn't there. When they did run the dive it was stuffed and then you have a wasted down with no positive yardage. Since you're almost relying on 3 or 4 yards every play in the TO, giving up a down for minimal yards is not a recipe for success. GSU had to take what UD was giving them and UD opted to give GSU the option pitch and UD was able to defend that enough to win. IMO, Shaw wasn't enough of a running threat to really threaten UD. When we've played Navy, we almost always opt to remove the dive play as an option. But the good Navy teams who have had success against UD do so with the pitch and with a QB who can keep it and run himself. The pitch play gets even more one dimensional when you know the QB can't break one if he pulls it back and runs himself. Jayson Foster in this offense would've been interesting to see.

blueballs
December 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
The Wing T was good at beating teams who had never seen an offense even similar to it (Montana in '93, NELa in '92, Portland St in '00, Samford in '92, etc). But ultimately, though, the deeper you go in the playoffs the more likley you are to face a team that has a great overall defense. At that point, whatever gimicks your offense has that befuddles lesser defenses are less likley to befuddle the great defenses and then it comes down to execution - who can run their system better than the other. That's why what offense you run is pretty unimportant - how well you run it versus how well someone defends it is the most important thing.

Against a TO, it's common practice to take away something and hope you can then defend what's left. UD, as they do typically against Navy, choose to remove the dive as a viable weapon by jamming the a-gap. Shaw wasn't much of a threat to run himself so that really left just the option pitch as the play that was "open" and UD hoped and was proven true that they had enough talent in the defensive backfield and the linebackers to contain the pitch enough to win. Delaware's D is really, really good. I think they may be even better than the much vaunted '03 D. Points are very, very hard to get against UD. Good defenses can typically defend anything, scheme be damned.

There's a lot of truth to this post but I wouldn't quite put this UD defense in the same catagory of the 2003 group, and that in no way is a slight against the 2010 version. IMO the 2003 group was THAT good.

gsu6trophies
December 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Yep, there it goes. "gimmick." exactly what I'm talking about. Why is it that when the offense works, it's because we used a gimmick against a weak defense?

Baldy
December 20th, 2010, 04:18 PM
OK.

FWIW, your QB couldn't have protected the ball on the sack if he had the 82nd Airborne on his side. He got clobbered, and ANY QB would have coughed it up unless he saw the hit coming with plenty of time time to brace and wrap it up.... Ditto with the pick. I agree he probably shouldn't have passed the ball, but from what I saw all those 'forward pass' plays should be ripped out of your playbook until Jaybo graduates. And I haven't seen ONE GSU fan who gives UD any credit for a clean strip or picking off an handoff... you guys had ONE turnover from an unforced error. ONE!

... man, talk about your basic revisionist history.

Like I said in another post, the best way for you have to protected the ball on those particular plays would have been to take a knee. The defense robbed you of possession on those plays. You didn't say 'oopsie' and drop it like on the bad snap. That was the one that was poor execution.
Speaking of revisionist history....

The fumble on the sack was a good play by the UD player. Jaybo had his back turned and the defender grabbed his arm causing him to drop the ball. Again GREAT play by the defender, but there is no way Shaw was "clobbered" on that play, sorry. On the INT...horrible play by the true freshman receiver. He was wide open, and the closest UD player was 3-5 yards away. The pass hit him in the hands and deflected straight to the defender. No doubt that Wilcox's fumble was caused by the defense, but it was a glancing blow (JJ barely lost stride and didn't fall down) and wouldn't have happened with proper ball protection.

Not sure what else you want, but congrats. UD was the better team that day and did what it needed to do to win, GSU didn't.

cougarpines
December 20th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Then don't fumble the freaken ball. UD didn't. Game, set. match period.Stop the nonesense

TwoFeathers
December 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM
Speaking of revisionist history....

The fumble on the sack was a good play by the UD player. Jaybo had his back turned and the defender grabbed his arm causing him to drop the ball. Again GREAT play by the defender, but there is no way Shaw was "clobbered" on that play, sorry. On the INT...horrible play by the true freshman receiver. He was wide open, and the closest UD player was 3-5 yards away. The pass hit him in the hands and deflected straight to the defender. No doubt that Wilcox's fumble was caused by the defense, but it was a glancing blow (JJ barely lost stride and didn't fall down) and wouldn't have happened with proper ball protection.

Not sure what else you want, but congrats. UD was the better team that day and did what it needed to do to win, GSU didn't.

Here we go again. So I suppose we should go back and re-evaluate all the turnovers for all the games in the history of time, and give back all the 'give-aways', and only count the 'take-aways'. I'm sure we'd have to question many of GSU's games during their 6 National Championship runs also... Perhaps take away a few of those championships too???

Delaware earned their #1 defensive ranking before the Ga Southern game, and only proved it out in that game. If you are saying your players gave the ball away, perhaps they are not as good as you thought as a team. Bet you won't concede that either...

I had predicted that the team that committed the fewest mistakes (ie. turnovers) would win the game, and that's what happened. And I thought it was going to be Delaware who was at risk of more mistakes, and Ga Southern would take advantage to win that game. But it went the other way.

HenZoneNation
December 21st, 2010, 09:00 AM
Game's over...GSU played a great game and lost...let it go...focus on next year and beating Appy St for the conference title...all roads still lead through Boone.

blueballs
December 21st, 2010, 09:16 AM
Game's over...GSU played a great game and lost...let it go...focus on next year and beating Appy St for the conference title...all roads still lead through Boone.

GSU plays at Boone next year... you KNOW Appy is gonna be wanting some payback.

IMO there are two strata in the SoCon next year: GSU, Woffie, App, Chatty in one competing for the playoffs and everybody else trying to get into the first group. I might be in the minority but I think it will be a dogfight in the SoCon next year.

HenZoneNation
December 21st, 2010, 09:23 AM
I agree with you...I'll be marking that down on the old calender and hoping that Channelsurfing is still up and has the game.

Eaglesrus
December 21st, 2010, 09:41 AM
GSU plays at Boone next year... you KNOW Appy is gonna be wanting some payback.

IMO there are two strata in the SoCon next year: GSU, Woffie, App, Chatty in one competing for the playoffs and everybody else trying to get into the first group. I might be in the minority but I think it will be a dogfight in the SoCon next year.

Yep, I agree completely and am really glad that I feel confident about us being included in that grouping. This time last year I certainly wouldn't have guessed we'd be in that position; in fact, if I were a betting man I would have bet heavily against it.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 10:14 AM
Will be rooting for GSU against App State. Nobody cares, I'm sure, but I will.

GannonFan
December 21st, 2010, 11:46 AM
Yep, there it goes. "gimmick." exactly what I'm talking about. Why is it that when the offense works, it's because we used a gimmick against a weak defense?

Gee, did you really just not read everything I said and instead focused in on one word? I stand by what I said - any offense works if you execute it properly - the measure of who wins and who loses is whether the offense can out execute the defense. Rarely seen offenses, like the Wing T UD used to run and to some extent GSU's TO, will make lesser defenses look even worse when they aren't used to seeing the offense. But like I said, great defenses will be great against any offense - I, Wishbone, spread, TO, etc. Beating a great defense comes down to execution.