PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Stands By FCS/Bowl Policy

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Arizona State got in a bad situation because they were dropped late by a FBS school - ended up with two FCS schools. They only got six wins - five of which were counters for bowl eligibility - and the NCAA denied their request to be granted bowl eligibility...

Stinks that they kind of got screwed late by the FBS school (San Jose State), but that's how things happen... there's been numerous schools screwed due to scheduling arrangements... but glad that the NCAA held to their rule.

TEMPE, Ariz. -Not even an improbable win over rival Arizona was enough to get Arizona State into a bowl.

The school said Friday that the NCAA has denied its waiver request for a bowl bid, less than 24 hours after the Sun Devils blocked two extra points to beat Arizona in double overtime.

"It is a pretty steadfast rule, but I thought we had a chance in our discussions with the NCAA because of our situation," Arizona State coach Dennis Erickson said. "They didn't OK it and I understand that."

http://www.fanhouse.com/news/main/ncaa-denies-arizona-states-bowl-bid/1440044

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 6th, 2010, 01:00 PM
San Jose State might as well be an FCS school, so the Sun Devil got what they deserve. Bowl eligiblity should be 7 wins anyway.

danefan
December 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I wonder how this effects Yale's application to count as a counter for the Army game next year (100th anniversary)?

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I wonder how this effects Yale's application to count as a counter for the Army game next year (100th anniversary)?

What happens if the application is not approved? Does Army have issues getting bowl eligible?

danefan
December 6th, 2010, 03:17 PM
What happens if the application is not approved? Does Army have issues getting bowl eligible?

I suspect Army would cancel the game and replace Yale with a counter school.

Despite the fact that I believe some Yale fans might think differently - being bowl eligible is way more important for Army brass then playing Yale.

GeauxLions94
December 6th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I suspect Army would cancel the game and replace Yale with a counter school.

Despite the fact that I believe some Yale fans might think differently - being bowl eligible is way more important for Army brass then playing Yale.

And beating Navy is way more important for Army brass than being bowl eligible.

danefan
December 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM
And beating Navy is way more important for Army brass than being bowl eligible.

Very true.