PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern @ Wofford playoff style

Pages : 1 [2]

Baldy
December 11th, 2010, 10:39 PM
The facemask was an awful call on the part of the ref. (The facemask was called on the QB, folks. If it had been called on a DL against an OL, it would have been called 'illegal hands to the face.' Further, the flag was thrown at the spot of where the QB's facemask got touched) At the point in which the call was made and the nature of the infraction itself, seeing that it was VERY minor, the ref was on the wrong side of the play to make the call (the umpire threw the flag whereas the line judge didn't) and the infraction didn't affect the ultimate outcome of the play makes the throwing of the flag an awful call on the ref's part. That crew was not very good. The stuff they called I did not see, and I saw a ton of stuff they didn't call.

GSU's D was gassed and Wofford was rolling. I loathe to say the refs gave the game away, but they sure took away Wofford's chance to win it instead of leaving it in the hands of the players.

If that's the case, then count the GSU TD which was called back because of a hold that didn't affect the outcome of the play. Makes it an easier win with no drama. xrolleyesx

Baldy
December 11th, 2010, 10:44 PM
GSU wins. Delaware should not have much trouble advancing past them imo.
I won't go back and check, but I wouldn't be surprised if you said the same thing before we played William & Mary. Just like W&M, GSU will be a TOUGH matchup for UD. xnodx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 11th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I won't go back and check, but I wouldn't be surprised if you said the same thing before we played William & Mary. Just like W&M, GSU will be a TOUGH matchup for UD. xnodx

I have no bias on the matter what so ever. In fact i get annoyed with the CAA dominance stuff like everyone else who isn't affiliated with league. I heard all year how the CAA is better than the MAC. Which it isn't btw. With that said, UD is the better team and GSU will have to play as well as they did against Navy to go in to Newark and win.

blueballs
December 11th, 2010, 11:00 PM
The facemask was an awful call on the part of the ref. (The facemask was called on the QB, folks. If it had been called on a DL against an OL, it would have been called 'illegal hands to the face.' Further, the flag was thrown at the spot of where the QB's facemask got touched) At the point in which the call was made and the nature of the infraction itself, seeing that it was VERY minor, the ref was on the wrong side of the play to make the call (the umpire threw the flag whereas the line judge didn't) and the infraction didn't affect the ultimate outcome of the play makes the throwing of the flag an awful call on the ref's part. That crew was not very good. The stuff they called I did not see, and I saw a ton of stuff they didn't call.

GSU's D was gassed and Wofford was rolling. I loathe to say the refs gave the game away, but they sure took away Wofford's chance to win it instead of leaving it in the hands of the players.

If you have freeze frame and frame by frame capabilities on your TIVO take a slow mo frame by frame look at the play. As Shaw crosses the 28 yard line the Wofford defender (#98) is sideways to Shaw and fighting a blocker. He reaches out with his left hand and gets the left side of the facemask- not a flagarant grab mind you but a sure grab that slightly turned the head- as Shaw hits the 30. The official is standing on the 36 and has a completely unobstructed view of the play five yards directly in front of him. He throws the flag a little late as he has to dodge the play coming at him but he had a straight on unobstructed view and had the call.

Tough luck for Wofford but the right call- barely.

The replay that the broadcast showed was a lower side angle from Shaw's right and obscured the penalty, hence the (seemingly correct) reaction form the commentators. But go back and replay the actual play- it is at the 2:24 mark- and you'll see the penalty.

blueballs
December 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I have no bias on the matter what so ever. In fact i get annoyed with the CAA dominance stuff like everyone else who isn't affiliated with league. I heard all year how the CAA is better than the MAC. Which it isn't btw. With that said, UD is the better team and GSU will have to play as well as they did against Navy to go in to Newark and win.

Delaware play any triple option teams this year with GSU's speed??? Didn't think so... good luck getting prepared for that offense in what may only be five days.

proasu89
December 11th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Uh....well...this sucks. Go Eagles! xlolx

GaSouthern
December 11th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Delaware play any triple option teams this year with GSU's speed??? Didn't think so... good luck getting prepared for that offense in what may only be five days.

This GSU sqad is pretty slow on offense other than a couple of players (JJ comes to mind) but we do return 20 of 22 starters so i'm not too worried about being slow this year.

Slow when compaired to last years speed.

dungeonjoe
December 12th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Congratulations on your victory, GSU. One call did not lose the game for Wofford. GSU has a talented squad. GSU's talent on the field exceeds greatly the lack of class displayed by their fans off the field at and especially after this game. Many may cast me as a sore loser, perhaps I am. I guess I expected fans of a university with six national championships to act as if they had been there before.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Congratulations on your victory, GSU. One call did not lose the game for Wofford. GSU has a talented squad. GSU's talent on the field exceeds greatly the lack of class displayed by their fans off the field at and especially after this game. Many may cast me as a sore loser, perhaps I am. I guess I expected fans of a university with six national championships to act as if they had been there before.

We've been to the quarterfinals before. One thing we haven't done, though, is get off to a 4-4 start and then go on to make a deep playoff run.

Good game, by the way. You guys will definitely be a force next year.

GSUAlumniEagle
December 12th, 2010, 08:48 AM
There is no longer illegal hands to the face. You touch the facemask, automatic 15 yard penalty. Doesn't matter the severity.

Actually, it's the exact opposite.

The 5 yard face mask penalty was removed because the rules committee felt that just a simple "grab and release" that did not turn the head and did not help complete the tackle was not a safety issue, was just a simple part of football, and thus should not be deemed illegal. So if you "grab and release", it's not illegal. However, if you "grab and twist", turn the head of the runner at all, or use the facemask to assist in the tackle, it's a personal foul 15 yarder.

The argument that the umpire didn't have a good look at this play is bogus. He was looking right at it, and if he thought that Jaybo's head was turned then he should flag it. He did.

The game was officiated fairly and GSU won 23-20. Get over it.

dungeonjoe
December 12th, 2010, 08:50 AM
We've been to the quarterfinals before. One thing we haven't done, though, is get off to a 4-4 start and then go on to make a deep playoff run.

I see your point. I can understand the happiness eagle fans feel. However, I think class is more a reflection of character than on a unique circumstance.

Eaglegus2
December 12th, 2010, 09:43 AM

You are correct dungeonjoe..............being a champion comes with expectations. One of them is to show a little class to your opponents and their fans. Wofford has some great fans as does Georgia Southern. Those fans that shows otherwise is of a minority. Both schools have that type. Let me sat this!! A lot of the students and some fans haven't experienced those years of joy. This is their first time since 2000 that we have had a team to go this deep into the playoffs. I don't condone their behavior but maybe they can tone it down a notch with the disrespect. Nothing wrong with storming the field after the victory in my opinion.

OL FU
December 12th, 2010, 09:48 AM
It was a heck of a game to watch. Some errors but also some fired up playing. I enjoyed the game. And to the winners and losers. Better to be there and lose than not be there at all. Take it from one who knows.

Venaros
December 12th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Another thing, most of the people who were acting ridiculous have never been around to witness one of those championships. They don't know how to win with class. And add on that starting at 4-4 thing, the just went berserk.

Not excusing their behavior however. It's unacceptable, and they need to check themselves. They can't be doing that crap at Frisco if we make it there.

On a side note, Wofford put up a helluva fight. I'm a little surprised they didn't come back and win it. Though a lot of fans are talking about that facemask penalty like it was the only controversial call. there were plenty of flags not thrown on Wofford when they should have been, as well as GSU. But the Refs are doing their job just as hard as they can do it. Let's not cut them off at the knees for doing that job.

blueballs
December 12th, 2010, 10:21 AM

Actually the 1990 group, the "Last of the Hard," after suffering heavy losses to graduation along the offensive line and the retirement of Erk Russell, started off 1-3 before ripping off 11 in a row and handily defeated Nevada in the title game 34-13.

eaglewraith
December 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM
ESPN didn't show the same angle that we saw in the stadium on the video board. You clearly see a lineman grab Shaw's facemask and turn his head as he breaks through. That was a legit call that was hard to see at game speed except for the guy who was right in front of it when it happened.

Reign of Terrier
December 12th, 2010, 10:53 AM
ESPN didn't show the same angle that we saw in the stadium on the video board. You clearly see a lineman grab Shaw's facemask and turn his head as he breaks through. That was a legit call that was hard to see at game speed except for the guy who was right in front of it when it happened.

I saw the penalty and quite frankly I couldn't of blamed the ref if he didn't throw the flag. I may be blinded by homerism but that's just my opinion. If it was done 5 years ago it would have been a 5 yarder I think, and still 4th and 1. Had they not thrown the flag and GSU punted and Wofford scored I think SU fans would be complaining about the no-call. That game was just too close and Wofford wasn't able to catch a break when they needed it

Eagle22
December 12th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I saw the penalty and quite frankly I couldn't of blamed the ref if he didn't throw the flag. I may be blinded by homerism but that's just my opinion. If it was done 5 years ago it would have been a 5 yarder I think, and still 4th and 1. Had they not thrown the flag and GSU punted and Wofford scored I think SU fans would be complaining about the no-call. That game was just too close and Wofford wasn't able to catch a break when they needed it

I could see the call going either way.

Wofford caught some breaks. Here's one good example... somehow Kass was credited with the recovery, despite Josh Rowe having two hands on the football and two knees down.

http://www.gsufans.com/media/2010/gsuvswofford121210/images/IMG_5270.jpg

EagleTrump
December 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM

I would normally agree with you about how our students behaved but...I was at the game earlier in the year and found the behavior of the Wofford players and coaches atrocious compare to the class they had showed at their last visit. Now I'm not entirely sure what went on at Gibbs Stadium but I would be too surprised if what did occur was in retaliation of being taunted by players AND coaches at our meeting in Paulson. I'm not saying what they did was right or wrong because I didn't see. However, too an extent, I'm not surprised it happened.

OL FU
December 12th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure what went on either. I do believe ( and I am biased) that Furman has the some of the most sedate ( or is that sedated) fans around. And yet, it isn't unusual to hear how some Furman fan gave someone the bird or made a uncalled for remark. I have, generally, learned to ignore it all unless someone really gets out of hand and threatens violence which I have rarely seen. Thank God Marshall and there fans are gone.xnodx

GaSouthern
December 12th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I've never seen woffy fans act so cocky, they were as bad as SCSU fans all week, maybe it's just a couple of loudmouths on here, W&M fans were much better to speak with all week. What a great game, the refs were not perfect but they gave up huge calls both ways, not near as bad as the HORRIBLE ref's that were at the GSU vs. SCSU game.

As I predicted, GSU is going to face Del, I predicted a loss to Delaware and for them to go on and win it all.

GSU returns 20 of the 22 players from this team, should be another good game with wofford next year.

EagleTrump
December 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure what went on either. I do believe ( and I am biased) that Furman has the some of the most sedate ( or is that sedated) fans around. And yet, it isn't unusual to hear how some Furman fan gave someone the bird or made a uncalled for remark. I have, generally, learned to ignore it all unless someone really gets out of hand and threatens violence which I have rarely seen. Thank God Marshall and there fans are gone.xnodx

I've actually had no problems with Furman fans before. The worst thing one ever said to me is "This is how you do it," after we played our show and waited for your band to march on. (They are actually pretty damn good) Our band and your band have a pretty good relationship. I've always enjoyed arching up with them after a game and playing Hey Baby together. And the fans as a whole are pretty nice too. I've never had anything thrown at me from your homestands, let alone mass quantities of full coke bottles... *cough* App State *cough*

proasu89
December 12th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I've actually had no problems with Furman fans before. The worst thing one ever said to me is "This is how you do it," after we played our show and waited for your band to march on. (They are actually pretty damn good) Our band and your band have a pretty good relationship. I've always enjoyed arching up with them after a game and playing Hey Baby together. And the fans as a whole are pretty nice too. I've never had anything thrown at me from your homestands, let alone mass quantities of full coke bottles... *cough* App State *cough*
You must have looked thirsty