PDA

View Full Version : Draft Tidbits

smallcollegefbfan
December 3rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
DRAFT TIDBITS

Villanova OT Ben Ijalana would be a top 15 choice if he had the size of Michael Roos, despite that he is a legit first round possibility. I have said it before and I will keep pounding this home that he should have won the Walter Payton Award. Quite an argument could be made for this kid. All of the tape I have seen he has not allowed any sacks, only one penalty and it was a bad call, and nobody else around the country has been lights out like Ijalana every play every week this year. He is the best player in the country right now. Besides being massive he is strong as an ox, has great feet, plays with good knee bend, will road grade defenders driving them 10-15 yards down the field, and he simply doesn’t get beat. If you watch most of his tape very few players actually try testing him anymore because it is almost useless. UNH DE Brian McNally did and despite being one of the best in the nation simply could not get around him.

Central Arkansas DE Markell Carter has vaulted all the way to number one on my position rankings of small school prospects. He is getting legit late round consideration right now after an impressive season. His production both in tackles for loss, sacks, and hurrying quarterbacks have raised eyebrows this fall.

As many as six App State players are getting interest from the NFL but only two are considered possible draft picks in ILB D.J. Smith and FS Mark LeGree. Both players have limitations as Smith scored just a 9 on the wonderlic last spring and is 5’10 ¼, despite being listed at 6’1 by ASU. However, he is strong, makes plays, and has the bulk to play inside linebacker in the NFL. The move from outside to inside has been the best thing for his stock as he probably lacks the smarts and hips to play outside and cover but could be a thumper inside to take on blocks by guards. LeGree is not the fastest (4.60E) but he has great ball skills and his 20 on the wonderlic puts him in elite company. He will pick up any system very quickly. The rest of ASU’s players are fringe free agents and I don’t expect any of the others to make a roster.

Lehigh OT Will Rackley had a rocky start to the year against Villanova and Drake but has since been lights out. He almost won Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year honors and is hovering in the mid rounds right now.

I know his numbers are down but SIU CB Korey Lindsey is the best pure cover corner in FCS. He simply blankets receivers giving no cushion and has great hips, ball skills, and can return punts. He is a projected 3rd-4th round pick right now. He has an invite to the NFLPA Texas vs. Nation Game but is likely going to the Shrine or Senior Bowl.

According to my sources you can expect Delaware QB Pat Devlin, Hampton DT Kenrick Ellis, Villanova OT Ben Ijalana, Nova WR Matt Szczur, and possibly a couple more FCS players to play in the Senior Bowl.

Southeastern Louisiana OT Kevin Hughes is getting a lot of interest right now as a 5th-7th round pick and should have been a first-team All-SLC selection. He has played pretty well this year.

At South Carolina State everyone knows about OT Johnny Culbreath but he has had a down year dropping from a PFA to FA on my board. The player to watch on their offense is OT Josh Harrison who was named MEAC OL of the Year but would have to move inside to guard at the next level.

Among those players whose stock has fallen this year include Citadel CB Cortez Allen, JSU OT Curt Porter, Gardner-Webb OG Corey O’Daniel, Wofford OG Pat Illig, and Elon DE Brandon Ward.

A couple sleepers to keep tabs on are SC State LB David Erby, Hampton DE Brandon Peguese, Yale TE Chris Blohm, Norfolk State RB DeAngelo Branche, and Princeton WR Trey Peacock who have all quietly risen up draft boards.