PDA

View Full Version : NCAA LAX Tournament

ngineer
May 10th, 2005, 07:19 PM
It starts Saturday and the bracket is out. Don't have the wherewithall to diagrammatically list the seeds, so here is the list:
#1 Johns Hopkins v.
Marist
Syracuse v.
#8 UMass
#5 Navy v.
Delaware
Albany v.
#4 Virgina
#3 Maryland v.
Penn State
Army v.
#6 Georgetown
#7 Towson v.
Cornell
Fairfield v.
#2 Duke

IMO JHU should be heavy favorite. Surprised that Delaware, Penn State and Marist and Fairfield are in. I think Bucknell got jobbed, but such is life.

89Hen
May 10th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Surprised that Delaware, Penn State and Marist and Fairfield are in. I think Bucknell got jobbed, but such is life.
I think Marist and Fairfield were auto bids. Agreed that UD and PSU are a little surprising though.

bkrownd
May 11th, 2005, 12:56 AM
I think Marist and Fairfield were auto bids. Agreed that UD and PSU are a little surprising though.

Penn State edged Georgetown in the last game before selections were made, and threw everything on the bubble out of wack. Otherwise their record was not very good.

I am not pleased with having to play Syracuse again, but it would be sweet to knock them twice in a season after all these years... Delaware has a pretty good spot - Navy is certainly beatable, though maybe less so at home.

umassfan
May 11th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Again now sure how GTown got the 6th seed when they lost two of their last three to UMass and Penn Sate and finished third in their own conference behind UMass and Penn State. Leave it up to a committee and they will find a way to screw us I guess!

colgate13
May 11th, 2005, 07:30 AM
I like SU to upset their way to the final.

89Hen
May 11th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Again now sure how GTown got the 6th seed when they lost two of their last three to UMass and Penn Sate and finished third in their own conference behind UMass and Penn State. Leave it up to a committee and they will find a way to screw us I guess!
Yeah, I'm not sure I get the seeding. Perhaps lacrosse fans look at I-AA seedings and wonder the same thing. :D

Virginia absolutely crushed Maryland in the regular season, Maryland beat UVA in the ACC tournament 8-7 in OT, UVA lost only to Duke and Hopkins in the regular season, Maryland lost 5 times during the regular season and gets the #3 and UVA #4. Maryland also beat Duke in the ACC tourney yet Duke is the #2. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the seeding.

ngineer
May 11th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Yes, we I-AA guys know all about how the hotdogs are made by commitee. What really surprised me is that Bucknell beat Navy, lost in OT to Army. With this being Sid Jamison's last year (retiring after 38 seasons!) one would think a close decision would go with a little sentiment. Maybe Sid pissed off some committee members sometime in the past and this was payback. :confused:

bkrownd
May 12th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Yes, we I-AA guys know all about how the hotdogs are made by commitee. What really surprised me is that Bucknell beat Navy, lost in OT to Army. With this being Sid Jamison's last year (retiring after 38 seasons!) one would think a close decision would go with a little sentiment. Maybe Sid pissed off some committee members sometime in the past and this was payback. :confused:

Don't forget they also lost the late-season head-to-head against Penn State at home. (And that's 2 losses to Army ;) )

89Hen
May 12th, 2005, 08:36 AM
BTW, our local schedule here is silly. It's actually too bad that there aren't games at 3 or 4 on Saturday and a couple on Sunday. They could have worked it so a die hard LAX fan could have gone to four or five games in the area instead of only three. Have Navy at noon, Hopkins at 4 and Towson at 8 on Saturday, then UVA at noon, Georgetown at 4 and Maryland at 8 on Sunday.

Saturday:
Noon - Delaware at Navy
1pm - Marist at Hopkins
7:30 pm - Penn State at Maryland
7:30 pm - Cornell at Towson
8pm - Albany at UVA

Sunday:
Noon - Army at Georgetown

polsongrizz
May 12th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Any of these games televised???

89Hen
May 12th, 2005, 11:58 AM
I don't think so. Only the Semis and Final. :mad:

umassfan
May 12th, 2005, 03:09 PM
The UMass Cuse game is on ESPN U

saint0917
May 13th, 2005, 09:10 AM
The No. 8 seed Massachusetts will take on defending national champ Syracuse in the NCAA First Round this Sunday at Garber Field in Amherst. Face-off is set for 1:00 pm in a game that will be televised live nationally on ESPNU. Just one question, isn't ESPNU a paid station like HBO?

Syracuse at No. 8 Umass (http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-lacros/spec-rel/051105aaa.html)

89Hen
May 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM
isn't ESPNU a paid station like HBO?
For me it seems like everything decent is a paid station like HBO. I don't get ESPNU, ESPN Classic, ESPN News.... I'm too cheap and too lazy to buy dish or digital or even a good TV. :o