PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern @ #2 William and Mary thread

Pages : 1 [2]

straightshooter
November 30th, 2010, 02:30 PM
The real question that has gone unanswered from my SoCon brethen.... Will you bring some water from Eagle Creek to sprinkle on the field before kickoff???

You can count on it.

gasoutherneagle
November 30th, 2010, 06:55 PM
http://savannahnow.com/sports/2010-11-30/gsus-shaw-practices-expects-start
OH, IT'S ON NOW!!!

Shaw will play! GATA EAGLES!!!

ZableNoise
November 30th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Nope. Just used to seeing more speed on the field. By the way, WM wasn't one of the teams I watched, so don't get your panties in such a wad. There are lots of teams in the CAA and my response was to the blanket comment that so many teams in the conference have great defenses. The WM D might be lightning fast. We'll find out Saturday.

They are not. Team speed on defense may be the Tribe's biggest weakness, that's how JMU beat W&M with 0 passing yards. They simply outran most of our players. The secondary is very fast, but up front not so much. The one major strength I see the Tribe D having against the TO is up the middle. Stover is a very good DT and if the D line can hold the midline runs to under 3 yds per carry, it would force GSU to beat us on the outside. Tackling has also been an issue this year, but hopefully not on Saturday...

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Just picked up endzone tickets for this game. If you see someone wearing Appalachian State gear... say hello!

Baldy
November 30th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Just picked up endzone tickets for this game. If you see someone wearing Appalachian State gear... say hello!

http://www.freeclipartnow.com/d/41645-1/Crosshairs.jpg

xlolx

wmmii
November 30th, 2010, 08:52 PM

Parking will be a real mess so plan on arriving early to the game. Best parking is off Jameston Rd off and Ukrop's Rd have a large lot and not that bad of a walk!

wmmii
November 30th, 2010, 09:06 PM
http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2010&org=786

What's up with W&M not being first in the nation or even the CAA in any category? Not hating or talking smack, I just think that's kinda odd.

Not being first in any one category is less important than being well balanced in many. I will take a well balanced offense with both good run and pass plus our #5 D in scoring. Look at the highlights of the UNC game where WM had then on the ropes until 6 minutes left in the game! LOL

YoUDeeMan
November 30th, 2010, 09:18 PM
http://www.freeclipartnow.com/d/41645-1/Crosshairs.jpg

xlolx

xlolx xprayx

WMTribe90
November 30th, 2010, 10:32 PM
They are not. Team speed on defense may be the Tribe's biggest weakness, that's how JMU beat W&M with 0 passing yards. They simply outran most of our players. The secondary is very fast, but up front not so much. The one major strength I see the Tribe D having against the TO is up the middle. Stover is a very good DT and if the D line can hold the midline runs to under 3 yds per carry, it would force GSU to beat us on the outside. Tackling has also been an issue this year, but hopefully not on Saturday...

Gotta disagree here. I think this year's defense is one of the fastest we've had. Certainly not a weakness. Problem at JMU was not speed. It was not getting off blocks or getting penetration, allowing JMU to run downhill and poor tackling.

ZableNoise
December 1st, 2010, 01:57 AM
Gotta disagree here. I think this year's defense is one of the fastest we've had. Certainly not a weakness. Problem at JMU was not speed. It was not getting off blocks or getting penetration, allowing JMU to run downhill and poor tackling.

No doubt the tackling was poor, but Dae'Quan Scott's speed was what was lethal. The play that stuck out in my mind is when he beat Webb to the corner for his second touchdown.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 1st, 2010, 05:05 AM
I'll be rooting for W&M, but I really almost expect GSU to win. I have been out of the country most of the season, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but the basic Triple Option threat vs. W&M D is going to be a win for GSU, and thus the game.

I also do not believe that Zable is an intimidating place to play at all. Rather friendly really, and the Eagle fans will truly enjoy a trip to Williamsburg. Close game, but GSU a hair better due to the nature of these two teams and how they match up.

Best of luck to both teams!! xhurrayx

...CAA still rules though xshhhx

Tribe4SF
December 1st, 2010, 06:11 AM
No doubt the tackling was poor, but Dae'Quan Scott's speed was what was lethal. The play that stuck out in my mind is when he beat Webb to the corner for his second touchdown.

Webb gave up the outside by biting on a simple inside head-fake. It was bad technique, not lack of speed that caused that. Failure to contain would be lethal this week as well. I expect better. On the last two JMU possessions in the 4th quarter Webb did a great job of maintaining his position, and Scott could not get to the edge. He had three carries for -3 yards on those two possessions.

SouthernMan
December 1st, 2010, 06:32 AM
The real question that has gone unanswered from my SoCon brethen.... Will you bring some water from Eagle Creek to sprinkle on the field before kickoff???

Plan on bathing in it Friday morning before we leave and not showering it off until after the game. I also plan on mixing whiskey with it before the game as well for the anti-hangover powers which the creek possesses.

straightshooter
December 1st, 2010, 07:07 AM
Webb gave up the outside by biting on a simple inside head-fake. It was bad technique, not lack of speed that caused that. Failure to contain would be lethal this week as well. I expect better. On the last two JMU possessions in the 4th quarter Webb did a great job of maintaining his position, and Scott could not get to the edge. He had three carries for -3 yards on those two possessions.

Mr. Webb can expect to get his legs cut out from under him a lot on Saturday. He'll be target #1 for GSU blockers to get the corner turned. The WM strong safety will be the key to stopping the GSU O outside of the tackles. He's going to have the pitch man in run support, and chances are good that GSU will catch him coming up and will throw deep at least one or two times in the game.

Tribe4SF
December 1st, 2010, 07:36 AM
Mr. Webb can expect to get his legs cut out from under him a lot on Saturday. He'll be target #1 for GSU blockers to get the corner turned. The WM strong safety will be the key to stopping the GSU O outside of the tackles. He's going to have the pitch man in run support, and chances are good that GSU will catch him coming up and will throw deep at least one or two times in the game.

Preparing to deal with cut blocking is always part of the challenge with the TO, as is discipline in seeing key reads for pass routes. Preparation will be good. We'll see how execution goes when having to face full speed play development. Frustration for defenders against a TO as good as GSU's is seeing what's coming, but seeing it a split second too late. Big challenge for Tribe D.

gsugt1
December 1st, 2010, 08:45 AM
Parking will be a real mess so plan on arriving early to the game. Best parking is off Jameston Rd off and Ukrop's Rd have a large lot and not that bad of a walk!

We were planning on parking at William and Mary Hall near our pre-game tailgate. Is that lot open to the public ? And if so what time should we arrive to get a spot ?

ZableNoise
December 1st, 2010, 10:14 AM

You hit the nail on the head with that. What worries me is that Webb can't do it alone (especially against the TO). Both Cottingham and he and not the biggest players and they are going to need a lot of help in attempting to stop the pitch plays.

tribefan40
December 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
You hit the nail on the head with that. What worries me is that Webb can't do it alone (especially against the TO). Both Cottingham and he and not the biggest players and they are going to need a lot of help in attempting to stop the pitch plays.

Agreed. Looks like the OLBs can play a significant role if they can avoid the chops and crackbacks. If Steinman and Francks can find a way to get off some blocks, they could be key to slowing down the attack. In watching the SCST game it looks like the QB is susceptible to the big hit, which could play its own part. Not saying he'll get knocked out like in that game, only that it could lead to some miscues maybe even turnovers.

In the two games I watched of SCST this year their defensive setup seemed much different from the Tribe. We seem a little more athletic at the LB position and much better along the front, particularly the interior. If our guys can play disciplined ball I think we have the athletes to hang with the TO. xtwocentsx

straightshooter
December 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Agreed. Looks like the OLBs can play a significant role if they can avoid the chops and crackbacks. If Steinman and Francks can find a way to get off some blocks, they could be key to slowing down the attack. In watching the SCST game it looks like the QB is susceptible to the big hit, which could play its own part. Not saying he'll get knocked out like in that game, only that it could lead to some miscues maybe even turnovers.

In the two games I watched of SCST this year their defensive setup seemed much different from the Tribe. We seem a little more athletic at the LB position and much better along the front, particularly the interior. If our guys can play disciplined ball I think we have the athletes to hang with the TO. xtwocentsx

GSU hasn't turned the ball over pitching it much at all this season. We have lost some through our true freshman FB, but for the most part, we've held on to it pretty good for the first season running the TO. The team will get much better at it in the future. The SCSU D was plenty stout. They were big and fast and frankly the disparity of time of possession simply took its toll and wore them down. You may be better disciplined, but I'm not sure you'll be more athletic. They were pretty porous in the fourth quarter as most defenses are when facing this offense.

One thing about the GSU QB Shaw. He will hold the ball till the last moment before pitching it. That sucks the defenders to him and opens up the pitch lane. It gets him banged up a bit, but he's one tough kid. The lick under the chin was a bit much on Saturday, but he's going to get up 99% of the time.

UD77
December 1st, 2010, 11:36 AM
Can we exchange any of you on this tread for the Lehigh posters on the Delaware / Lehigh tread. What a waste of time looking at that one.

Congrats to all of your posters for keeping this civil.

tribefan40
December 1st, 2010, 11:38 AM
You may be better disciplined, but I'm not sure you'll be more athletic.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen us play this year?

straightshooter
December 1st, 2010, 11:38 AM
Lots of respect on both sides in this thread, as there should be. It's tough to get to this position, and there are about 100 other teams in FCS that would love to be having these conversations. I think both sides are scared to death at what might happen on Saturday. We think we know....but we're only guessing.

tribefan40
December 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM
Lots of respect on both sides in this thread, as there should be. I think both sides are scared to death at what might happen on Saturday. We think we know....but we're only guessing.

+1. Best Game in the second round by miles.

straightshooter
December 1st, 2010, 11:42 AM
Just out of curiosity, have you seen us play this year?

Only on tape. Your D is good, but I just think SCSU's athleticism might be a bit better, especially in the back seven. They had one DE that was a real player. Their LB, CB and safeties were really fast to the ball. Now, that could have been because they didn't think the true freshman QB for GSU would throw it, but the certainly ran to the ball as well, if not better than any D we saw this season.

GaSouthern
December 1st, 2010, 11:54 AM
I thought last week was going to be a toe-to-toe slugfest, I got my weeks wrong. This should be one for the ages.

ZableNoise
December 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM
They were big and fast and frankly the disparity of time of possession simply took its toll and wore them down. You may be better disciplined, but I'm not sure you'll be more athletic. They were pretty porous in the fourth quarter as most defenses are when facing this offense.

How was their defensive rotation? Did it have any effect on the fatigue levels? One thing I noticed for the Tribe all year is that the starters play the vast majority of the snaps on D. They have to be absolutely gassed by the fourth quarter.

Tribe4SF
December 1st, 2010, 12:25 PM
Can we exchange any of you on this tread for the Lehigh posters on the Delaware / Lehigh tread. What a waste of time looking at that one.

Admiration between the two fan bases grew quickly on each of our boards. Has carried over here.

Ivytalk
December 1st, 2010, 12:28 PM
xsmoochxThis is becoming a big love-fest! I have good friends on the GSU side and family on the W&M side.

soccerguy315
December 1st, 2010, 12:36 PM
We were planning on parking at William and Mary Hall near our pre-game tailgate. Is that lot open to the public ? And if so what time should we arrive to get a spot ?

you can definitely park there... I think it will cost you $10. Not sure when you should get there though, I've never parked there.

GSUhooligan
December 1st, 2010, 12:36 PM
I saw that ya'll lost 3 OL starters to graduation and 2 really good DL. How have their replacements faired this year?

GSC75
December 1st, 2010, 12:42 PM

Hey UD- bearing away from this a little - last game TG we were talking about the last time we played you guys in the 'boro. One of the guys in out TG had a farm and brought a little bantam hen he'd dyed blue. Our mascot (GUS) used to TG with us before he suited up and after the game. He took that stupid chicken and put her on the bench at the 50 - dam chicken had the best seats in the house - cheerleaders fed her popcorn and all kinds of crap, we won with our lucky chicken and she was released back on the farm - he said she stayed blue for 3-4 months.

straightshooter
December 1st, 2010, 12:44 PM
How was their defensive rotation? Did it have any effect on the fatigue levels? One thing I noticed for the Tribe all year is that the starters play the vast majority of the snaps on D. They have to be absolutely gassed by the fourth quarter.

They didn't seem to substitute much, and it showed. GSU held the ball for 12 of the 15 minutes in the 4th quarter, and when you've got LB and DB running from one sideline to the other, it pretty much had them gassed. The three and four yard gains became nine and 10 yard gains, and GSU put two TD on the board quickly in the 4th quarter.

GSU's depth on D isn't great, but it is much better than SCSU. We lost a starting DE to injury, but that thrust true freshman Josh Gebhardt into a starting role, and he's been a very pleasant surprise. He was pretty highly recruited out of HS and I'm not sure why we got him (had some 1A offers), but he'll be a great one before he leaves GSU if he can stay healthy. We do rotate some on the DL, a bit more in the back seven, but the starters usually go unless they get nicked or need a blow.

tribefan40
December 1st, 2010, 12:46 PM
I saw that ya'll lost 3 OL starters to graduation and 2 really good DL. How have their replacements faired this year?

Better than most expected. We lost 3 starters on D (2 DL) to the NFL and pretty much everyone expected a steep dropoff. It took a few games to get on track but the lines have become a strength as the season has progressed.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Ya'll banned beer pong? What the ****? You poor souls.

TribeinDC
December 1st, 2010, 01:31 PM
Ya'll banned beer pong? What the ****? You poor souls.

Beer Pong is banned at a lot of schools, go check your student handbook, they might specifically ban drinking games at Georgia Southern as well.

William and Mary generally looked the other way but they decided to ban obvious beer pong tables.

headdressguy
December 1st, 2010, 01:32 PM

When I saw that thing pushing 60 pages, I figured it would probably be best just to stay away.

Tribe07
December 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM
This year's Georgia Southern's TO offense would have shredded William & Mary's 2008 (and arguably even years before that) defense. I tend to think that will not happen this year (and certainly would not have last year). We are much more athletic, and much faster (Webb, Cook, Mines, etc.).

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 1st, 2010, 02:37 PM
Beer Pong is banned at a lot of schools, go check your student handbook, they might specifically ban drinking games at Georgia Southern as well.

William and Mary generally looked the other way but they decided to ban obvious beer pong tables.

They know better than to ban beer pong here. The riots that would ensue would result in the national guard being called in. The only rule about drinking here is if you're not 21, you can't do it (well you can but you just make sure you don't get caught).

straightshooter
December 1st, 2010, 02:56 PM
This year's Georgia Southern's TO offense would have shredded William & Mary's 2008 (and arguably even years before that) defense. I tend to think that will not happen this year (and certainly would not have last year).
We are much more athletic, and much faster (Webb, Cook, Mines, etc.).

That's good. You will need to be...

GaSouthern
December 1st, 2010, 03:00 PM
This year's Georgia Southern's TO offense would have shredded William & Mary's 2008 (and arguably even years before that) defense. I tend to think that will not happen this year (and certainly would not have last year). We are much more athletic, and much faster (Webb, Cook, Mines, etc.).

This years TO numbers are not in the top 10 in the last 30 years for GSU. Defense is another story... our offense has a long ways to go, they are good but in no way great.

gsugt1
December 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM
you can definitely park there... I think it will cost you $10. Not sure when you should get there though, I've never parked there.

Thank you !!

ButlerGSU
December 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM
Thank you !!

Will you and Booster EYES be joining us at the Athletic Foundation tailgate?

gasoutherneagle
December 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM

Heh heh... yeah. We, the members of Eagle Nation, invite our Tribe friends down to Statesboro for any home game you wish next season. Ho ho... drinking game bans... wow! Ever seen Beerfest? ...now, think of that with gnats, 95% humidity, 90 degrees in Sept.

heath
December 1st, 2010, 07:04 PM
How many SoCon fans think a Wofford-GSU game will happen?Which SoCon team has the best chance to advance?

gasoutherneagle
December 1st, 2010, 07:42 PM
How many SoCon fans think a Wofford-GSU game will happen?Which SoCon team has the best chance to advance?

I'm not looking past W&M by any means... but, If that match-up does take place.

WATCH OUT, PUPPIES! YOU GOT PAYBACK COMING!!!xasswhipx

gasoutherneagle
December 1st, 2010, 08:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj-XlxYrxF4

For your viewing pleasure. Pay special attention to the lyrics. xsmiley_wix

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 1st, 2010, 09:00 PM
Heh heh... yeah. We, the members of Eagle Nation, invite our Tribe friends down to Statesboro for any home game you wish next season. Ho ho... drinking game bans... wow! Ever seen Beerfest? ...now, think of that with gnats, 95% humidity, 90 degrees in Sept.

Don't forget the beautiful women!

TribeinDC
December 1st, 2010, 10:16 PM

Like I said, Georgia Southern like W&M already has rules to ban drinking games, including beer pong, but everyone does it anyway. Add to the list of things the school looks the other way with. The issue at W&M is that our fraternity houses are on campus and everyone has elaborate beer pong tables. Stupid decision but they decided to ban those.

But yeah, it doesn't affect me much as I've graduated and I play plenty during the pregame. I even invite you guys over to my tailgate for a game so that you can be like your football team and feel first hand what it's like to get owned by W&M.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 2nd, 2010, 12:27 AM
Like I said, Georgia Southern like W&M already has rules to ban drinking games, including beer pong, but everyone does it anyway. Add to the list of things the school looks the other way with. The issue at W&M is that our fraternity houses are on campus and everyone has elaborate beer pong tables. Stupid decision but they decided to ban those.

But yeah, it doesn't affect me much as I've graduated and I play plenty during the pregame. I even invite you guys over to my tailgate for a game so that you can be like your football team and feel first hand what it's like to get owned by W&M.

I'm pretty sure that if there were a tailgating national championship, GSU would have more than just 6 flags.

bullseye44
December 2nd, 2010, 12:45 AM

The problem is the safety play. Wells and others took a lot of bad angles during the JMU game against the option look that created big play opportunities. And then in between the tackles, they did a good job of always getting 4-5 yards a pop. I think we learned a lot from that game and we'll be much better prepared, but I'm hoping that our DL and LBs are able to get to the ball, because I'm just not confident in our safety play. Any idea how the speed of GSU compares to that of JMU? If it is comparable, they will give us problems on the edges.

bullseye44
December 2nd, 2010, 12:47 AM
Better than most expected. We lost 3 starters on D (2 DL) to the NFL and pretty much everyone expected a steep dropoff. It took a few games to get on track but the lines have become a strength as the season has progressed.

The DL play doesn't compare to last year's (who would've expected to be as good as it's become after losing two guys to the NFL?), but I think overall we've got a much deeper front 7 than we expected and our LBs fly around pretty well. Shoop (DC) runs some good schemes to keep everyone involved and get in the offensive backfield to make some plays.

ZableNoise
December 2nd, 2010, 01:18 AM
Shoop is also familiar with GSU OC Brent Davis. He held Davis's triple option attack to only 17 points when the two met in 2008.

gasoutherneagle
December 2nd, 2010, 03:13 AM
Shoop is also familiar with GSU OC Brent Davis. He held Davis's triple option attack to only 17 points when the two met in 2008.

He was coaching at VMI in 2008. My high school could hold VMI to 17 pts no matter what offense they were running.

seantaylor
December 2nd, 2010, 03:53 AM
Defensively Bill and his trick has not seen a dominat D like this. Brent Ruseell is the best desfensive player in the country. He will take up 3 blockers every play and win his fair share of them. The key is hard hitting safety Derkek Heyden and Laron Scott. GSU wins the game on the LOS and will pull away as the game goes on due to superior speed and discipline.

LeadBolt
December 2nd, 2010, 07:31 AM
Defensively Bill and his trick has not seen a dominat D like this. Brent Ruseell is the best desfensive player in the country. He will take up 3 blockers every play and win his fair share of them. The key is hard hitting safety Derkek Heyden and Laron Scott. GSU wins the game on the LOS and will pull away as the game goes on due to superior speed and discipline.

Maybe we haven't, but the stats of several of the defenses we played are better than GSU's stats. I haven't seen GSU's defense play, but I'll be shocked if they are better than Bruce Carter and UNC.

tribefan40
December 2nd, 2010, 07:55 AM
Defensively Bill and his trick has not seen a dominat D like this. Brent Ruseell is the best desfensive player in the country. He will take up 3 blockers every play and win his fair share of them. The key is hard hitting safety Derkek Heyden and Laron Scott. GSU wins the game on the LOS and will pull away as the game goes on due to superior speed and discipline

Completely disagree on the first point. I have watched several GSU games this year and nothing I saw indicated to me they were better than UD, JMU, or UNC. The top CAA defenses we played this year were on the whole bigger and had more speed on the back end. GSU's defense is good, but certainly nothing above what W&M has seen multiple times this year. To your last point it's not speed that wears down a team on the LOS, it's size, and we've got you all the way across on that. As I have said in each post I expect this to be a great, close game, but the GSU posters who have never seen W&M play will be more than a little surprised by what they see in Zable. xnodx

LeadBolt
December 2nd, 2010, 08:03 AM

According to the Massey Ratings 6 of the defenses W&M has played, including the last 5 in a row are rated better than GSU's. WHile your defense is good, we've seen better. What we haven't seen is a TO offense. You guys are good, but really don't know anything about W&M other than we beat you last time we met in the playoffs...

WILLIAM & MARY - UNDEFEATED VS. GEORGIA SOUTHERN

TribeinDC
December 2nd, 2010, 08:03 AM

"Georgia Southern is the best defense W&M will have played this year except for all others"

wmmii
December 2nd, 2010, 08:15 AM

While I must agree that Brent Russell is one of the top Defensive Player and your team does have speed, you may be under estimating the ability of the Tribe offense. if they can put up 17 points on UNC and barely lose 21-17, I will stack up that loss to your game with Navy!

wmmii
December 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
[B]WILLIAM & MARY - UNDEFEATED VS. GEORGIA SOUTHERN

Right On!

Baldy
December 2nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Completely disagree on the first point. I have watched several GSU games this year and nothing I saw indicated to me they were better than UD, JMU, or UNC. The top CAA defenses we played this year were on the whole bigger and had more speed on the back end. GSU's defense is good, but certainly nothing above what W&M has seen multiple times this year. To your last point it's not speed that wears down a team on the LOS, it's size, and we've got you all the way across on that. As I have said in each post I expect this to be a great, close game, but the GSU posters who have never seen W&M play will be more than a little surprised by what they see in Zable. xnodx

If that were the case, GSU would have been the team with their hands on their hips and sucking wind instead of SC State last Saturday.

I'll put it this way. Our O line is smaller, faster, and more athletic. They will run your D line from sideline to sideline all game long. They will be 20 yards downfield laying hits on your LB's and DB's.

I've seen W&M play, and the Tribe are a great football team, but they don't bring anything special to the table that we haven't already seen out of App, Wofford, Elon, or Navy.

Baldy
December 2nd, 2010, 08:32 AM
According to the Massey Ratings 6 of the defenses W&M has played, including the last 5 in a row are rated better than GSU's. WHile your defense is good, we've seen better. What we haven't seen is a TO offense. You guys are good, but really don't know anything about W&M other than we beat you last time we met in the playoffs...

For accuracy's sake, we have never met in the playoffs before.

LeadBolt
December 2nd, 2010, 08:44 AM
For accuracy's sake, we have never met in the playoffs before.

My mistake, you are correct, it was regular season I retract in the playoffs it should read, we beat you last time we met...

I hope this suits you better.

tribefan40
December 2nd, 2010, 09:11 AM
If that were the case, GSU would have been the team with their hands on their hips and sucking wind instead of SC State last Saturday.

I'll put it this way. Our O line is smaller, faster, and more athletic. They will run your D line from sideline to sideline all game long. They will be 20 yards downfield laying hits on your LB's and DB's.

I've seen W&M play, and the Tribe are a great football team, but they don't bring anything special to the table that we haven't already seen out of App, Wofford, Elon, or Navy.

Did you seriously just compare W&M and SCSU? Seriously? And Elon? Really? xlolx Our D Line is bigger and just as athletic as your O line friend. You won't be blowing our guys 3-4 yards off the line like you did to SCSU last week. Some of our linebackers are close in size to those guards that will be 'laying hits on them,' and we will be the more physical team on the field. I guarantee you that. Looking back on my post I don't remember saying that we bring anything special, simply that some of your bretheren think that this will be a no-contest for your boys. Can't wait for saturday!

TribeinDC
December 2nd, 2010, 10:15 AM
I'm starting to get confused, who is the underdog for this game?

UncleSam
December 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
Some SoCon/GSU fans are mistakenly thinking or hoping that it's the year 2000 and not 2010.

elon77
December 2nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Why don't all you GSU and W&M fans stop all the kissy kissy stuff and tell us what you really think of each other! :)

Baldy
December 2nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
Did you seriously just compare W&M and SCSU? Seriously? And Elon? Really? xlolx Our D Line is bigger and just as athletic as your O line friend. You won't be blowing our guys 3-4 yards off the line like you did to SCSU last week. Some of our linebackers are close in size to those guards that will be 'laying hits on them,' and we will be the more physical team on the field. I guarantee you that. Looking back on my post I don't remember saying that we bring anything special, simply that some of your bretheren think that this will be a no-contest for your boys. Can't wait for saturday!
With comments like, "we will be the more physical team on the field", and "laying hits on them", it sounds like you are the one who believes that this will be a no contest.

Anyway, if you think the Tribe will be the most physical team on the field, be my guest and make that "guarantee". xlolx xthumbsupx
I didn't even mention W&M in my statement concerning SC State. The only "comparison" I made was the fact that the Tribe won't bring anything to the table that we haven't already seen from App, Elon, Navy, etc.

BTW, I'm overjoyed that your DL is bigger than our OL. I hope they are BIG, strong, and powerful. You just better hope they can run, run, run, and run some more. xnodx

TribeinDC
December 2nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Question for Georgia Southern fans, do you actually like that your team's style of offense is the triple option? Has it always been your style of play? Excuse my ignorance.

GaSouthern
December 2nd, 2010, 10:57 AM
The 1997 GSU team that W&M squeaked by is very similar to this years GSU team, we are building with a new coach. I hope the outcome is different this time.

hippy@GSU
December 2nd, 2010, 10:57 AM
Question for Georgia Southern fans, do you actually like that your team's style of offense is the triple option? Has it always been your style of play? Excuse my ignorance.

Question 1: Yes.

Question 2: Yes and No.

The Paul Johnson Flexbone was created and perfected at GSU in the 80's when he was Offensive Coordinator here. GSU kept the style of offense until 2005-- save for a little variation under Stowers.

In 2006, a handful of fans and a hapless administration decided to scrap the Flexbone and hire a coach that used a more conventional offense. After four years (2006-2009) of humiliation and failure, GSU decided to go back to its roots and bring back the offense that brought them so much success. It's our identity. Delaware had the Wing T, Maryland had the I, and Georgia Southern HAS the Flexbone.

GaSouthern
December 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM

Our version of the flexbone was started at GSU.

gsu6trophies
December 2nd, 2010, 11:00 AM

Boy, you should really do some research. Did you just become a FCS fan? To answer your question. I love our team's style of offense. Have loved for as long as I can remember. We used this system from our inception in the early 80s till 2005. In that period we won 38 playoff games and 6 NCS. In 05 a douche came in as head coach and scrapped it for a pro set. He left after a year and we hired a pass happy coach. He was released last year. We returned to the TO this year. This years offense is light year's ahead of last years, but we still are not anywhere close to running it to perfection. I don't know anything about W&M other than they usually put a good team together. I hope we come out and play well and leave with a W. However, I will be very proud of this team no matter the outcome. To go from 4 head coaches in five years and a 5-6 season last year to the playoffs is impressive. Not to mention the fact that no one expected much from this team. This is a rebuilding year, so catch us while you can.

Ud1Hens
December 2nd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Boy, you should really do some research. Did you just become a FCS fan? To answer your question. I love our team's style of offense. Have loved for as long as I can remember. We used this system from our inception in the early 80s till 2005. In that period we won 38 playoff games and 6 NCS. In 05 a douche came in as head coach and scrapped it for a pro set. He left after a year and we hired a pass happy coach. He was released last year. We returned to the TO this year. This years offense is light year's ahead of last years, but we still are not anywhere close to running it to perfection. I don't know anything about W&M other than they usually put a good team together. I hope we come out and play well and leave with a W. However, I will be very proud of this team no matter the outcome. To go from 4 head coaches in five years and a 5-6 season last year to the playoffs is impressive. Not to mention the fact that no one expected much from this team. This is a rebuilding year, so catch us while you can.

You could have left that out and had a great response. TribeinDC even excused his ignorance. Some people, geez...

straightshooter
December 2nd, 2010, 11:32 AM

Absolutely. This offense is the signature of Georgia Southern football. The program restarted in 1982 and this was pretty much the offense that GSU won the first of its six national championships with in 1985. Between 1985 and 2005, GSU won those six titles and appeared in the NC game eight times running this offense. They made it to the semifinals two more times in that span of time. After two first round playoff losses in '04 and '05 (UNH in a monsoon and Texas State on the road), the administration decided to go away from the GSU offense to a more traditional style. The first guy they brought in came from the NFL and he basically set the program back a decade. He lasted one season and had the worst record in the history of the program. He gook the 2007 Walter Peyton Award winner, QB Jayson Foster, and basically benched him as a part time WR. Chris Hatcher came along and did a commendable job given the mess he inherited, but his style just wasn't GSU football. So Jeff Monken brought the offense back in 2010. The players on hand had never run this offense. They were recruited for a spread passing attack. Starting QB, RB and WR transferred and many others left the program. Monken recruited well and is playing 13 true freshmen from that recruiting class, including a number of starters. In short time, the program should be back where it was. This may not be the year, as everything the Eagles do now is icing on the cake to their fans. No one expected to be here in year one with the players on hand. But to answer your question, yes we do actually like the TO offense.

tribefan40
December 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
With comments like, "we will be the more physical team on the field", and "laying hits on them", it sounds like you are the one who believes that this will be a no contest.

Anyway, if you think the Tribe will be the most physical team on the field, be my guest and make that "guarantee". xlolx xthumbsupx
I didn't even mention W&M in my statement concerning SC State. The only "comparison" I made was the fact that the Tribe won't bring anything to the table that we haven't already seen from App, Elon, Navy, etc.

BTW, I'm overjoyed that your DL is bigger than our OL. I hope they are BIG, strong, and powerful. You just better hope they can run, run, run, and run some more. xnodx

You got me. That's what I've been saying the whole time. GSU has no chance. In all seriousness though I just hope we can keep up with you guys for a quarter, geez this one is gonna get ugly. xbowx

ButlerGSU
December 2nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
http://personal.georgiasouthern.edu/~cbutler/photo.JPG

I went to a conference at William & Mary a few years ago and we received these water bottles. Notice the spelling of Virginia ;-) Clearly it was an honest mistake but I still found it funny enough to share. See you all Saturday for what I'm sure will be a great game between two fine schools!

wm76
December 2nd, 2010, 01:48 PM
"I went to a conference at William & Mary a few years ago and we received these water bottles. Notice the spelling of Virginia ;-) Clearly it was an honest mistake but I still found it funny enough to share. See you all Saturday for what I'm sure will be a great game between two fine schools!"

This was a test. You passed. Many people did not. ;)

See you Saturday.

Eaglesrus
December 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
This was a test. You passed. Many people did not. ;)

Well played!!

GSC75
December 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM
how about this.....xnonono2x

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp271/DClifton_01/IMG_3733.jpg

My Son in law was in a market place in China last year and saw this hat and bought it for me..., other that the obvious we haven't been GSC since '89... only thing I can figure, some Chinese outfit screwed up a buncha hats and just dumped them on the market over there.

blukeys
December 2nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
Absolutely. This offense is the signature of Georgia Southern football. The program restarted in 1982 and this was pretty much the offense that GSU won the first of its six national championships with in 1985. Between 1985 and 2005, GSU won those six titles and appeared in the NC game eight times running this offense. They made it to the semifinals two more times in that span of time. After two first round playoff losses in '04 and '05 (UNH in a monsoon and Texas State on the road), the administration decided to go away from the GSU offense to a more traditional style. The first guy they brought in came from the NFL and he basically set the program back a decade. He lasted one season and had the worst record in the history of the program. He gook the 2007 Walter Peyton Award winner, QB Jayson Foster, and basically benched him as a part time WR. Chris Hatcher came along and did a commendable job given the mess he inherited, but his style just wasn't GSU football. So Jeff Monken brought the offense back in 2010. The players on hand had never run this offense. They were recruited for a spread passing attack. Starting QB, RB and WR transferred and many others left the program. Monken recruited well and is playing 13 true freshmen from that recruiting class, including a number of starters. In short time, the program should be back where it was. This may not be the year, as everything the Eagles do now is icing on the cake to their fans. No one expected to be here in year one with the players on hand. But to answer your question, yes we do actually like the TO offense.

I will quibble with some of your post.

Blaming the administration for firing the GSU coach in 2005 leaves out the impact of GSU fans. I have been here since 2003 and I now full well how GSU fans responded to the coach of that era, (he ran the TO.) He was never forgiven for not being Erk or Paul Johnson. He was however a whole lot better than who you guys hired later (after the fans ran him out of town.) The GSU fans were merciless in pressing for a change in 2004/05. This despite the fact that they were dead wrong.

GSU fans are now blaming their 2004 loss on a monsoon. That is really rewriting history. The Ricky Santos led UNH team played in the same monsoon. I and many other CAA folks warned GSU fans in 2004 that UNH was the real deal. Instead, in their arrogance, GSU fans acted as if the 2004 loss was due to bad coaching. Well UNH's 2004 OC is now the head coach of Oregon so maybe GSU was out coached but the fact was UNH was the better team than GSU in 2004. Ricky Santos and David Ball would have eaten the GSU secondary for lunch on a non stormy day. Texas State in 2005 advanced to the semis where a dumb move by the coach cost them a game. They were a good team.

I think GSU will once again be a force in the SoCon. They will not be the dominant force on the national scene they were in the Tracey Ham era. The CAA and SoCon have caught up with GSU in the talent area. I saw this in 2002 when GSU came to Newark.

GaSouthern
December 2nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
I think GSU will once again be a force in the SoCon. They will not be the dominant force on the national scene they were in the Tracey Ham era. The CAA and SoCon have caught up with GSU in the talent area. I saw this in 2002 when GSU came to Newark.

You had a reasonable post going until this gem. So you are saying there is no way for GSU to get better? We return 20 of our 22 starters next year, I think we are on the upswing. We are on the national scene now, we are in the playoffs.

If it were impossible to build a powerhouse then Appy would still be stuck at 2004 levels but they turned it around, and I think GSU can too.

wm76
December 2nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Add'l info for fans coming in to Williamsburg for the game:

Good place to park: On Lafayette Street, on the curb, about 1/3 mile walk to the stadium. Free parking. Also if the owner doesn't close the lot, there is a very large grass field on Lafayette across from the curb parking.

Place to eat: The Chickahominy House on Jamestown Road. Get Miss Melinda's special for about $8 at lunch. Good place to take the wife.

straightshooter
December 2nd, 2010, 04:23 PM

Blaming the administration for firing the GSU coach in 2005 leaves out the impact of GSU fans. I have been here since 2003 and I now full well how GSU fans responded to the coach of that era, (he ran the TO.) He was never forgiven for not being Erk or Paul Johnson. He was however a whole lot better than who you guys hired later (after the fans ran him out of town.) The GSU fans were merciless in pressing for a change in 2004/05. This despite the fact that they were dead wrong.

GSU fans are now blaming their 2004 loss on a monsoon. That is really rewriting history. The Ricky Santos led UNH team played in the same monsoon. I and many other CAA folks warned GSU fans in 2004 that UNH was the real deal. Instead, in their arrogance, GSU fans acted as if the 2004 loss was due to bad coaching. Well UNH's 2004 OC is now the head coach of Oregon so maybe GSU was out coached but the fact was UNH was the better team than GSU in 2004. Ricky Santos and David Ball would have eaten the GSU secondary for lunch on a non stormy day. Texas State in 2005 advanced to the semis where a dumb move by the coach cost them a game. They were a good team.

Sorry but I've been here longer than that. I was at that 2004 game, and I know of what I speak. My stepson played for GSU and I've got to NC rings at my house to show for it. The 04 team at GSU was loaded with talent. UNH was a good team too, but GSU had them blown out in the first half. They had no answer for the option and were a bit hamstrung because Ball got injured. The rains were severe enough in the second half to basically take the passing game away from both teams and the game turned into one of handoffs up the middle and off tackle. The pitch part of the option was pretty much taken away from GSU because of the wet conditions, and the footing on the corners was treacherous. UNH had the upper hand with their 300 pound OL. It doesn't take great coaching to run plays behind an OL that outweighed their opponent by more than 30 pounds per man. They knew that GSU wouldn't pass and that the pitch was iffy at best. UNH picked up a couple of second half TDs and won the game 25-22.

In 05, GSU beat then #1 Furman and was sent to TX for the first round of the playoffs. The coach had made it plain in conversation that the team was a year away from contending for the title, but you're right, GSU fans wanted it right then. They jumped out to a bit lead in that game only to have TX State rally in the fourth quarter for the win. Some of the big money alumni (those looking for Erk or PJ), the AD and university president (who hated college athletics) were so incensed about the team breakdown in that loss that they fired the coach the coach on Monday morning despite his 35-14 record. And you're also right that they made a mistake IMHO.

The game in Newark in 02 was played by a GSU team that had lost it's coach to Navy and was being coached by a new guy; a team that was playing without the all time leading rusher in NCAA history, Adrian Peterson and a new QB and freshman FB playing in his first game. That team started slowly, but they rallied around each other and made it to the national semifinals only to lose by a FG to eventual NC WKU.

Forgive me for the history lesson, but facts are important. You might be right that the CAA has caught up with the SoCon in terms of talent. But rest assured, this will be the worst GSU team you'll see for years to come if Monken stays at GSU.

wm76
December 2nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
Another place to eat: Seasons, one block off of Merchant's Square (Duke of Gloucester Street down by W&M). For lunch or dinner get the Plantation Chicken (a little spicy).

UncleSam
December 2nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
You might be right that the CAA has caught up with the SoCon in terms of talent.

Caught up? I think you mean passed. The CAA has had 4 different schools win titles and 2 others make to the finals over the past 7 seasons. Meanwhile the SoCon has had ASU and little else. The CAA has been a great conference, ASU has been a great program.

ITEagle
December 2nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
You guys are forgetting something. Per Erk - runts try harder

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 2nd, 2010, 06:38 PM

It wasn't the GSU fans that got Sewak fired. GSU's AD couldn't possibly care less about what GSU fans think. It was ultimately a big money booster who was responsible for Sewak getting fired.

Besides, we may have needed to get rid of him eventually anyways. Our APR scores were sliding and there were many discipline problems with the team as well. Getting rid of Sewak will prove to be a good move even though choosing VanGorder to replace him proved to be a mistake.

You would think rain would favor an option team, but the fact is that it doesn't. A wet field basically negates the agility of the players. Anyone who has followed GSU in the option era over the years will tell you the offense just isn't as dangerous when the field is wet. Considering that UNH team went on to get blown out by Montana, and considering JMU had no problem with UM that year and that Furman (basically even with GSU) was the only team that gave JMU a game in the playoffs that year, I'd say we were the better team, just like we were also better than that UMass team in that wet '98 NC game where we turned the ball over 7 times.

Also, Chip Kelley was an OC, was he not? So he had nothing to do with shutting down that offense.

So App. State can win 3 straight national championships and win 26 straight SoCon games, but GSU can't even win 2 straight like we did with Tracy Ham?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 2nd, 2010, 06:45 PM

GSU's defensive front owned a SCSU OL that was very big and very physical from the get-go, and continued that for the rest of the game. Maybe the LBs and secondary aren't quite what you saw versus JMU and UD, but GSU's DL is the best in the FCS, if I do say so myself. Navy will attest to that.

wmmii
December 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Add'l info for fans coming in to Williamsburg for the game:

Place to eat: The Chickahominy House on Jamestown Road. Get Miss Melinda's special for about $8 at lunch. Good place to take the wife.

this is an awesome place to eat BUT they do group seating and Saturday's often have an hour wait. Better choice is go at 8:30 for breakfast if you are spending the night and go to Pierce's BBQ for lunch!

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj-XlxYrxF4

For your viewing pleasure. Pay special attention to the lyrics. xsmiley_wix

Nice video. How many Samford clips were in there?

GSU EAGLES
December 2nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMj9R_ZmTLM

Get some of this...6 titles in 8 title game apperances. As Erk used to say GATA......Get After Their A**

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
GSU hasn't turned the ball over pitching it much at all this season. We have lost some through our true freshman FB, but for the most part, we've held on to it pretty good for the first season running the TO. The team will get much better at it in the future. The SCSU D was plenty stout. They were big and fast and frankly the disparity of time of possession simply took its toll and wore them down. You may be better disciplined, but I'm not sure you'll be more athletic. They were pretty porous in the fourth quarter as most defenses are when facing this offense.

One thing about the GSU QB Shaw. He will hold the ball till the last moment before pitching it. That sucks the defenders to him and opens up the pitch lane. It gets him banged up a bit, but he's one tough kid. The lick under the chin was a bit much on Saturday, but he's going to get up 99% of the time.

You have to remember that GSU only had one offensive TD (half-way through the 1st quarter) until mid-way through the 4th quarter of that game, when they got the ball twice deep in SC State territory and scored two more late in the game. It wasn't like the GSU offense was having it's way all day. I saw a whole lot of offensive and special teams bungles on the part of SC State that helped GSU win that game. Everybody is talking about GSU being an offensive juggernaut, but I didn't see it in the SC State game. Did anyone else see that game? Hello??

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
You have to remember that GSU only had one offensive TD (half-way through the 1st quarter) until mid-way through the 4th quarter of that game, when they got the ball twice deep in SC State territory and scored two more late in the game. It wasn't like the GSU offense was having it's way all day. I saw a whole lot of offensive and special teams bungles on the part of SC State that helped GSU win that game. Everybody is talking about GSU being an offensive juggernaut, but I didn't see it in the SC State game. Did anyone else see that game? Hello??

Just to add, I'd say the GSU defense was a bigger factor in the win versus SC State that the offense. Hey, a win is a win. I'm just saying.

theasushow
December 2nd, 2010, 08:52 PM
sorry, didn't wanna read through 343 posts to figure out the latest on Jaybo Shaw. So.....what's the latest on Jaybo Shaw?

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2010, 08:57 PM
sorry, didn't wanna read through 343 posts to figure out the latest on Jaybo Shaw. So.....what's the latest on Jaybo Shaw?

I read he is practicing and will be playing.

straightshooter
December 2nd, 2010, 09:03 PM
Nice video. How many Samford clips were in there?

Four, but none from App State, WCU or Furman. All of these clips came from the first eight games. One thing I have noticed is there's not much pushing out of bounds instead of laying a lick and stuff like that. That D will hit you in the mouth. Watched some clips from the Richmond and JMU games against WM. Not much blitzing and those teams didn't seem to hit hard on D. Well...look for blitzes from all over the field on Saturday and the Eagles will bring the lumber on D. The GSU D is very aggressive, which may prove to be their downfall in Williamsburg. But ever since the Samford debacle, this team has played at a much higher level.

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2010, 09:04 PM
Just a question, so don't beat me up too bad, but I noticed there were no GSU skill players on SOCON First or Second Team Offense (only 1 OL on Second Team). Seems a little odd for an offense that leads in rushing, etc... What gives???

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Four, but none from App State, WCU or Furman. All of these clips came from the first eight games. One thing I have noticed is there's not much pushing out of bounds instead of laying a lick and stuff like that. That D will hit you in the mouth. Watched some clips from the Richmond and JMU games against WM. Not much blitzing and those teams didn't seem to hit hard on D. Well...look for blitzes from all over the field on Saturday and the Eagles will bring the lumber on D. The GSU D is very aggressive, which may prove to be their downfall in Williamsburg. But ever since the Samford debacle, this team has played at a much higher level.

Was busting his chops with that question ;) But definately impressed with the footage. Looking foward to the game from the 50 yard line on Saturday!!!

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
Just a question, so don't beat me up too bad, but I noticed there were no GSU skill players on SOCON First or Second Team Offense (only 1 OL on Second Team). Seems a little odd for an offense that leads in rushing, etc... What gives???

because generally in a TO offense, the skill players don't produce the numbers to really be considered unless they put up 400 yards rushing every game. And App State has some of the best skill players in the conference

straightshooter
December 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM

There are no recognized stars on the GSU O, just a bunch of good football players who are still learning to run the option. Take note that 12 GSU players rushed the ball against SCSU. The O is so young, true freshmen starters at LT, LG, WR and FB. Only QB Shaw has ever run this offense, so it's not surprising that there are none on the All-SoCon team. The guy who did make it on the second team was the backup long snapper last season in a spread passing offense, and I don't think he ever played in a game.

Cincy App
December 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
Just to add, I'd say the GSU defense was a bigger factor in the win versus SC State that the offense. Hey, a win is a win. I'm just saying.

That's a fair assessment. Saturday's W&M-GSU game should be a low-scoring game. Both teams will get their yards but neither defense gives up many points.

GaSouthern
December 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM

Thats actually dead on, we don't have any all stars, just lots of "good players"

GaSouthern
December 2nd, 2010, 10:13 PM

GSU's O scores just enough to keep us in every game, our D has been winning games.

Largest margin of victory against GSU was 8 points in our 4 losses.

seantaylor
December 2nd, 2010, 10:44 PM
Our D is as good as there is in the country. Brent Russell should win the Buchanon, he's the best defensive player in the FCS. Tinsley is an all conference player and freshman Gebhardt is going to be a star at DE. Secondary is really good led by Laron Scott and Derek Heyden.

Baldy
December 2nd, 2010, 11:17 PM
You also have to remember that Jaybo Shaw got hurt. The one full series he played, GSU marched right down the field for a TD. The reason our offense struggled is because his backup is a true freshman who played in an App State like spread offense and didn't take a snap from center his entire career until August of this year.

As a matter of fact, Coach Monken himself has stated this week that he wouldn't qualify that the offense has been successful this year. 8 of the 11 guys you will see running our offense on Saturday weren't recruited to run it. The O line is piecemeal, the slots came to GSU as either running backs or wide receivers, the wide outs came here because we were a passing offense at the time, and they expected to be catching balls. The FB is a true freshman who was a tail back in high school and never had to line up 3 yards behind the LOS with his hand on the ground.

This offense is a shell of what it will be 2-3 years from now. I'm confident about our chances on Saturday because our offense is unique, and even though we aren't prolific (yet) we will still give your defense fits.

LeadBolt
December 3rd, 2010, 05:17 AM

Agreed.

LeadBolt
December 3rd, 2010, 05:20 AM
Our D is as good as there is in the country. Brent Russell should win the Buchanon, he's the best defensive player in the FCS. Tinsley is an all conference player and freshman Gebhardt is going to be a star at DE. Secondary is really good led by Laron Scott and Derek Heyden.

We'll know about 4 PM tomorrow, but your D doesn't scare me nearly as much as your O. I believe we have seen better D's, but we haven't seen an O like yours and that is a concern.

wm76
December 3rd, 2010, 06:30 AM
Game-related articles in the local Sports today:

http://weblogs.dailypress.com/sports/college/oncampusblog/2010/12/option_game.html

http://weblogs.dailypress.com/sports/college/oncampusblog/2010/12/role_model.html

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-callahan-1203-20101202,0,1849702.story

blueballs
December 3rd, 2010, 02:58 PM
There are no recognized stars on the GSU O, just a bunch of good football players who are still learning to run the option. Take note that 12 GSU players rushed the ball against SCSU. The O is so young, true freshmen starters at LT, LG, WR and FB. Only QB Shaw has ever run this offense, so it's not surprising that there are none on the All-SoCon team. The guy who did make it on the second team was the backup long snapper last season in a spread passing offense, and I don't think he ever played in a game.

Southern didn't have anybody on any of the pre-season teams, and to overcome that somebody would have to put up eye popping stats. As young as they are and as green as they were at the beginning of the year in the system, that just wasn't going to happen. They're still awfully young but not nearly as green.

I can tell you this though, with every good performance they have now against good competition- and they're playing with house money now- the "oh s--t" factor for the SoCon and the rest of the country for next year goes up because they only lose TWO starters and return 41 out of 44 on their two deep and both specialists. They also have three kids who either were already or were going to compete for the two defensive starter spots held by seniors coming back from injury. So in essence they have both thier frist and second string on both sides of the ball returning next year with another year of age, practice, depth, training, and confidence.

parr90
December 3rd, 2010, 04:59 PM

Much better athletes at GSU running this TO. That said I think you guys have a really good team. I hope we can make a game of it.

parr90
December 3rd, 2010, 05:11 PM

Most D lineman are more athletic than O lineman, but GSU's O lineman are especialy athletic because of their size and type of system they play in. Most D lines are as big as our O line but they get their arses chopped to death

Tribe4SF
December 3rd, 2010, 06:14 PM
Starting d-line for W&M averages 270. Starting o-line for GSU averages 259. Fending off the cut blocks is critical. Tribe o-line goes 299, and GSU d-line 250. Will be interesting to see how the relative athleticism of the fronts matches up.

gsu1moretime
December 3rd, 2010, 06:50 PM
Starting d-line for W&M averages 270. Starting o-line for GSU averages 259. Fending off the cut blocks is critical. Tribe o-line goes 299, and GSU d-line 250. Will be interesting to see how the relative athleticism of the fronts matches up.

Sounds like the exact thing SCST was saying... with the size match ups

Tribe4SF
December 3rd, 2010, 10:49 PM
Sounds like the exact thing SCST was saying... with the size match ups

Just citing the data in response to the post before mine. We recognize that the relative athleticism will tell alot along the fronts.

soccerguy315
December 3rd, 2010, 11:08 PM
I'm not saying W&M is going to win, but W&M is a million times better than SC State.

CAAisBOSS
December 4th, 2010, 08:43 AM
anybody know what happened last time there was a lot of talk about the tribe losing early in the playoffs? they beat weber stare and so illinois by a combined 62-3

GSU1-A
December 4th, 2010, 09:02 AM
GEORGIA!

gsu1moretime
December 4th, 2010, 09:18 AM
SOUTHERN!

This trash talking has been going both ways. Just the way this game is going to go. I think it is going to be a geat game defensive struggle until about the third early 4th quater then one team is going to pull away. cant wait for 1:30.

GATA go EAGLES! and i know you didnt compare us to weber state really? please disrespect us like that because we will prove you wrong when you underestimate us. Ask App.

GSU1-A
December 4th, 2010, 09:19 AM
GEORGIA!

(Down with ManBearPig!)

gsu1moretime
December 4th, 2010, 10:23 AM
"We call our offense the Georgia Power Company and thats a terrific name for an offense, our snap count is rate, hike. We practice on the banks of Beautiful Eagle Creek and thats in Statesboro, Georgia the gnat capital of America Our weekends begin on Thursday. The co eds outnumber the men 3 to 2. Theyre all good looking and theyre all rich. And folks you just cant beat that and you just cant beat Georgia Southern." -ERK

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2010, 11:10 AM
What's the weather up there like?

GSU EAGLES
December 4th, 2010, 11:23 AM
"We call our offense the Georgia Power Company and thats a terrific name for an offense, our snap count is rate, hike. We practice on the banks of Beautiful Eagle Creek and thats in Statesboro, Georgia the gnat capital of America Our weekends begin on Thursday. The co eds outnumber the men 3 to 2. Theyre all good looking and theyre all rich. And folks you just cant beat that and you just cant beat Georgia Southern." -ERK

One more time for Erk baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNTl1UFvuNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnFbPhwOWsE&feature=related

glsjunior
December 4th, 2010, 12:11 PM

You could also call it the Southern Company since that's the parent company for Ga Power.

soccerguy315
December 4th, 2010, 12:43 PM
GSU goes down the field like there is no defense, 7-0

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2010, 12:44 PM
7-0 GSU after just over 3 minutes.

Old Cat Fan
December 4th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hello Hello anyone in here ???

gsu1moretime
December 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM
haha they said daunte robinson. darieons brother plays for texans... he plays for he falcons now.. these anouncers suck...

Wildcat80
December 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
14 to 6 Ga So up!!!

DSPSelym
December 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM
What a hit... this is such a physical game.

GSU1-A
December 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! So far so good.. Keep it up Southern!xsmileyclapx

GSU1-A
December 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM
And I was about to say.. Please no more passing!

DSPSelym
December 4th, 2010, 01:35 PM
At least they went for two instead of taking the PAT.. We need to keep chewing the clock and scoring.

VUCats02
December 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Can someone post scoring updates here? How did W&M just score? Why did they go for 2????

DSPSelym
December 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Shaw threw a pick 6 and they went for two and failed.

eagle07
December 4th, 2010, 01:43 PM
W&M offense was sputtering until that pick 6

eagle07
December 4th, 2010, 01:48 PM
W&M 15 GSU 14 1:13 left to half

soccerguy315
December 4th, 2010, 01:57 PM
15-14 at halftime, W&M up

close, physical game... GSU keeping W&M offense out of the end zone so far.

seantaylor
December 4th, 2010, 02:00 PM
GSU blowing this game big time. We should be up big, but Monken with just an awful call in the 2nd quarter.

eagle07
December 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM
The pick 6 turned momentum, gotta get it back.....

gsu1moretime
December 4th, 2010, 02:13 PM
need a long drive for a td coming out of the 2nd half... clock eater

DSPSelym
December 4th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Winner plays Wofford at home, LETS GO EAGLES!

inpsite1919
December 4th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Good Run GSU

eagle07
December 4th, 2010, 02:21 PM
TD GSU! 21-15

inpsite1919
December 4th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Touch Down GSU

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Wow. Touchdown Eagles. Come on Tribe D. Youre better then this.

DSPSelym
December 4th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Another Eagles 6. I'm feeling good about the traditional Monken halftime adjustment.

eagle07
December 4th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Looks like we gotta away with a hit outta bounds there a min ago

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 02:27 PM
GSU could seal it with this drive....

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Brown is a beast.

DSPSelym
December 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I'd agree there

Mr. C
December 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Winner plays Wofford at home, LETS GO EAGLES!
Not necessarily so. Someone with SoCon ties said Wofford would be home against Georgia Southern, if the Eagles win.

DSPSelym
December 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Not necessarily so. Someone with SoCon ties said Wofford would be home against Georgia Southern, if the Eagles win.

Can Wofford hold enough people to host a playoff game?

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Woffy's stadium holds about 12,500 so if GSU brings less than 10,000 there should be plenty of room. HAHAHAHa

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Good stop Tribe. Uphill sleding for W&M down 9.

eagle07
24-15

Blueandwhitefightfight
Even though we couldn't punch it in and had to settle for a fg, I like how we had our 2nd and 3rd string RB's in on that drive and still ran all over them.

DSPSelym
December 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Great time to get a holding call haha.

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 02:43 PM
ouch how bad did that holding call hurt?

soccerguy315
December 4th, 2010, 02:46 PM
holding call could be the final nail...

GSU looking in good shape

Wildcat80
December 4th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Come on Ga!!!! Beat bill& mary!

DSPSelym
December 4th, 2010, 02:48 PM
It's looking good for the team out of God's Country... but it could still go either way.

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 02:49 PM
What can Brown do for you? Chew lots of clock.

eagle07
December 4th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Yea, holding call going have big effect on this game

walliver
December 4th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Woffy's stadium holds about 12,500 so if GSU brings less than 10,000 there should be plenty of room. HAHAHAHa

Apparently GSU did not bid for a 3d round game.

Edge316007
December 4th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Wow

soccerguy315
td...

congrats GSU, you guys look really good.

good luck the rest of the way.

Wildcat80
Fire shoop??? Retire laycock??

eagle07
31-15

AppChicago
December 4th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I've gotta say... pulling for Ga Southern feels... weird. Not bad, really. At least not as bad as I thought it might. Just strange.

seantaylor
December 4th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Wow. These are the Eagles of old. Feel sorry for the FCS in the future. Only one senior starter on GSU.

NHwildEcat
December 4th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Who will host between Wofford & GSU?

soccerguy315
December 4th, 2010, 02:58 PM

hopefully this will show Furman that they don't want to hire Shoop. Between 09, 10, and 11, the 10 Tribe is probably going to be the weakest of the 3. We did win the CAA... let's not go overboard.

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Tribe needs to keep taking advantage of the GSU secondary.

walliver
December 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Who will host between Wofford & GSU?

GSU apparently did not bid for the game (I guess Sam Baker had no confidence in his team). Wofford will host.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
W&M better hit that high gear or the fat lady will be tuning up. Callahan looks as if he is trying to run a fire drill.

Edge316007
December 4th, 2010, 03:05 PM
How do you drop that pick? That's basically game over

eagle07
December 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM
way late flag

MacThor
December 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Charity flag for the Tribe

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Tribe needs to keep taking advantage of the GSU secondary.

Too little, too late....she is singing

MacThor
December 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM
anybody know what happened last time there was a lot of talk about the tribe losing early in the playoffs? they beat weber stare and so illinois by a combined 62-3

Seriously, nobody thought Weber State had a chance.

DSPSelym
December 4th, 2010, 03:08 PM
GSU apparently did not bid for the game (I guess Sam Baker had no confidence in his team). Wofford will host.

Where do you see who puts in a bid at?

walliver
December 4th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Where do you see who puts in a bid at?

It's not publicly available as far as I know, but was reported by the Wofford radio announcers, who apprently got the info from someone in the SoCon. It was widely reported that the JSU/Wofford winner would play at W&M or host GSU.

MacThor
December 4th, 2010, 03:11 PM

They hosted 2nd round against Richmond in '07. UR isn't easy to outbid either - '07 is the only time I can recall UR playing road playoff games against unseeded teams. Wofford then ASU.

Edge316007
December 4th, 2010, 03:12 PM
GSU going to win.

eagle07
BIG SACK RUSSELL! on 4th down

Old Cat Fan
The GS train rolling again xnodx

seantaylor
Best defensive player in college football ends the game.

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Sack. The fat lady is singing.

walliver
The obese woman would like to know which song you would like to hear.

MacThor
GSU just dominating the LOS, and great tackling. This team looks built for a deep run.

Wildcat80
December 4th, 2010, 03:14 PM
tell shoop to call any high school coach next year......they know how to stop this offense.

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 03:15 PM
GSU Heavys took control and WON this GAME.... O Line and D Line OWNED Mary (Bill stayed back at the dorm).

soccerguy315
December 4th, 2010, 03:17 PM
tell shoop to call any high school coach next year......they know how to stop this offense.

calm down, not everyone can be fortunate enough to play a MEAC team

WrenFGun
December 4th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Congrats to Georgia Southern. Watched the final 8 minutes or so and that was dominant.

seantaylor
December 4th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Like I said...worst #2 seed in the history of the world.

I'll give you credit for that call. But, not sure any #2 seed in FCS history was beating us today.

eagle07
December 4th, 2010, 03:19 PM
FINAL 31-15 GSU!

Wildcat80
December 4th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Congrats Ga So!!!! See ya in 2 weeks!!!

soccerguy315
December 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Like I said...worst #2 seed in the history of the world.

not really. If GSU plays the way they played today, they will win the whole tournament. Is ASU the worst #1 seed too? they also just got beat by GSU. There weren't any "standout" teams in FCS this year.

dennisdent
December 4th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Congrats to GSU; really pounded W&M. I was never that impressed by W&M after a Kevin Morris coached team beat them.xrotatehx

Edge316007
December 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM
If several teams play like they did today, they will win the whole tournament.

DSPSelym
December 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
In my opinion GSU didn't even play great football today either... still going to be interesting to play a team that squeaked by us in the regular season.

McNeese75
Nice beat down by the Eagles and the Socon today.

SouthernEagle02
Ga Southern. 2010 CAA co-champs!! xnodx

Sorry, had to do that. We won & South Carolina just tied the game. I'm a happy man.xrotatehx

blueballs
December 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Oh Uncle Sam, front and center boy and take your azz whuppin the same way your beloved CAA champions took theirs today. You ran your mouth (keyboard) all week so now it is time to recognize son. That wasn't no fluke, that was a straight up azz whuppin. Come get some boy!

gasoutherneagle
December 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM
To quote the Nature Boy, Rick Flare: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WOO WOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
GEORGIA SOUTHERN IS BACK!!!xbowx

soccerguy315
December 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM
If several teams play like they did today, they will win the whole tournament.

doubtful... not Nova, not SFA, not Delaware, not Lehigh, not WIU, probably not UNH, not BC, not MSU, not NDSU, not Wofford, not JSU...

ASU is the only other team that has looked really good so far, but they didn't play a good team (not to say they aren't the favorite to win the title).

appst97
December 4th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Congratulations GSU!, it looks s if you guys are hitting your stride at a very good time!

DSPSelym
December 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Oh Uncle Sam, front and center boy and take your azz whuppin the same way your beloved CAA champions took theirs today. You ran your mouth (keyboard) all week so now it is time to recognize son. That wasn't no fluke, that was a straight up azz whuppin. Come get some boy!

Yeah where is he....

soccerguy315
December 4th, 2010, 03:46 PM
just to be clear, uncle sam is not a W&M fan

Eaglesrus
December 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Okay, all of you who predicted this to be the best game of the day; I AGREE! Our defense appears to somehow just get better and better. Thanks for the hospitality, W & M, now back to the SoCon wars.

gasoutherneagle
December 4th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I thought Georgia Southern's last defensive play: ManBearPig sacking W&M QB was poetic justice.

Wildcat80
December 4th, 2010, 05:24 PM
ahem......i take credit for predicting the Ga Sou upset........congrats guys.........bill&mary time to fire shoop???? send him to furman.....yeah thats the ticket!

soccerguy315
December 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM
W&M is not going to fire shoop anytime soon. He had the best run defense in FCS last year, and a top 10 scoring defense this year.

Tribe has come along way when giving up 30 points is atrocious... used to be common place.

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Grats GSU. Good luck with Wofford.

UncleSam
December 4th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I admit I was dead wrong on this one, GSU looked like the best team in the FCS today and I have to wonder how they managed to lose 4 games this year. GSU played a great game today and if they continue to play like that they will be in Frisco next month.

straightshooter
December 4th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I admit I was dead wrong on this one, GSU looked like the best team in the FCS today and I have to wonder how they managed to lose 4 games this year. GSU played a great game today and if they continue to play like that they will be in Frisco next month.

It's called new coaching staff, totally new offensive system, totally new defensive system, playing 16 true freshmen (GSU returns 21 starters and all special teams starters next year), returning players recruited for spread passing O and not the option game, key players injured in losses or not playing at all in losses and the SoCon is a tough league. GSU is finally starting to run the offense like it should be run and the D is simply playing lights out. It takes time for the O to learn the system, but the more they play, the better they get at it. Right now the coaching staff has the players believing in the system and in themselves. And by the way...GSU will be outweighted again next week too against a veteran team playing lots of juniors and seniors.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM
GSU fans, your playing a very solid football team next Saturday and if you beat em wont be many Hens fans shedding any tears for William and Mary.... but they will most likely put a wompin on you

xdeadhorsexxdeadhorsex

bigchocolate
December 4th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Congrats Georgia Southern...strong game today. W&M when did you join the MEAC? Maybe getting your rear handed to you at home means you were terribly over rated and should not have been allowed in the playoffs this year. No, I know better just like you do. Good luck eagles! Good season Tribe!

straightshooter
December 4th, 2010, 06:24 PM
W&M is not going to fire shoop anytime soon. He had the best run defense in FCS last year, and a top 10 scoring defense this year.

Tribe has come along way when giving up 30 points is atrocious... used to be common place.

That run D was strong today....GSU puts up 423 yards rushing with an average of more than 7 yards per rush.

GSUwinsagain
December 4th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Great game today Eagles ! Congrats on Totally Dominating WM ! They were very gracious hosts and nice fans.
GATA for real Eagles !

GSC75
December 4th, 2010, 06:50 PM
WAY TO FREAKIN' GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By golly gee whiz (censored for what I REALLY want to say!!) OMG it's good to be an EAGLE on a Sat night....

wmmii
December 4th, 2010, 07:01 PM
i am sad to see the Tribe lose today, GSU Congrats and Good Luck in your Wofford game.

MacThor
December 4th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Congrats Georgia Southern...strong game today. W&M when did you join the MEAC? Maybe getting your rear handed to you at home means you were terribly over rated and should not have been allowed in the playoffs this year. No, I know better just like you do. Good luck eagles! Good season Tribe!

Hmm...trying to equate the AQ from the conference that has produced the last two national champions to an at-large that had no business getting anywhere near the playoffs from a conference whose last big win was during what....the Clinton administration?

Nice try bigchocolate, but once again you're xrotatehx.

GreatAppSt
December 4th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Great Game Eagles taking down the #2 seed away.xsmileyclapx

LeadBolt
December 4th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Congrats to GSU! Good luck next week.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Anybody who thinks Jimmy L did not run a few practices with the Defense working on assignment football in anticipation of meeting up with the TO just doesn't know the guy. GSU will not have the offensive field day on Saturday they had today.

W&M is a very tough team to run on and unless GSU is able to hit some big plays I expect that they will not have too much success driving the ball on the W&M defense. W&M offense will score enough on GSU and without big plays and/or turnovers GSU isn't going to win this game.

Slight Edge? Go take a look at what the Tribe's defense has actually done this year. One bad game against JMU is about the only outing that was poor, and otherwise they simply shut several good offenses down - so my guess is that W&M is a big favorite, and GSU is going to need to show some real trickery to keep it close.

I hope Shaw plays and is at full stength, if he does there can be no whining when W&M whips GSU's butt next week.

With or without Shaw, W&M wins by at least two TDs.

It is amazing how a lopsided win over a bumbling, inpet and over-rated South Carolina St squad has turned GSU into a flex bone juggernaut.

CAA arrogance.
:D

Notice I say "CAA" and not "William and Mary".

bullseye44
December 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Well, that sucked. Congrats to a hungry, talented GSU team that was simply the better team today. Not sure what happened to the W&M team we saw 2 weeks ago against Richmond, but they certainly didn't show up today. Looking forward to at least 2 more CAA / SoCon matchups with App / Nova and UD / UNH vs. GSU / Wofford.

As an aside, does anyone know what conference the refs were from today? My God they were awful. We wouldn't have won if they had been good, but it might not have been as ugly.

bullseye44
December 4th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Well, that sucked. Congrats to a hungry, talented GSU team that was simply the better team today. Not sure what happened to the W&M team we saw 2 weeks ago against Richmond, but they certainly didn't show up today. Looking forward to at least 2 more CAA / SoCon matchups with App / Nova and UD / UNH vs. GSU / Wofford.

As an aside, does anyone know what conference the refs were from today? My God they were awful. We wouldn't have won if they had been good, but it might not have been as ugly.

soccerguy315
December 4th, 2010, 08:35 PM
That run D was strong today....GSU puts up 423 yards rushing with an average of more than 7 yards per rush.

i don't see what that has to do with my post? I clearly said LAST YEAR we had the best run defense, and this year we had a top 10 scoring defense. I also said that the W&M defense has made excellent strides under Shoop...

then you posted that GSU ran all over W&M today.

JDC325
December 4th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Gemmie somma whacha smokin

Guess you got some!

bullseye44
December 4th, 2010, 08:42 PM

Before Shoop showed up, we would have given up 50 points and 600 yards in this game, but he's got to keep improving our approach to be able to contend with option style offenses (JMU). I'm more disappointed in the offense than anything. Jimmye has got to dial up the old playbook that had us averaging 35 points a game most years. Hopefully Paulus is healthy next year and lives up to his talent and Grimes has another great year - boy did he throw some mean blocks today while picking up 100 yards. Only person who played a solid game.

JDC325
December 4th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Nope it is called incompetence if this is the truth. If you have not heard our AD is an idiot. This is the same guy that fired a playoff making TO coach for a vangoober and will STILL defend the hire today.

Ivytalk
December 4th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Congrats, Eagles!

ZableNoise
December 4th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Wow... I have never seen a team do a worse job of defending the triple option, ever. Do GSU fans feel that they played well or was it just that W&M seemed totally lost on the field today? Big congrats on the win, the visiting crowd and just about everything else. Good luck with the rest of the tournament.
(By the way that WAS the best defense I've seen us play this year xsmiley_wix )

appstate38
December 4th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Congrats Eagles.... Maybe the CAA teams will give up more props about defending that triple option before making predictions on what they are going to do against it.

ThompsonThe
December 5th, 2010, 01:07 AM

Good retort bigchocolate. People shouldn't say things that they do not know anything about, but they always do. SC State had a good team this year. Just not as good as they have been maybe. W&M and CAA do not know how good your team is year in and year out.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 5th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Wow... I have never seen a team do a worse job of defending the triple option, ever. Do GSU fans feel that they played well or was it just that W&M seemed totally lost on the field today? Big congrats on the win, the visiting crowd and just about everything else. Good luck with the rest of the tournament.
(By the way that WAS the best defense I've seen us play this year xsmiley_wix )

I think it was a little bit of both us playing well and W&M looking lost. There was one drive that we put in our fourth string, walk-on running back for a couple of plays and we still moved the chains. But if you noticed, we didn't really do anything that special. It's not like we opened up the play book at all. Things I noticed from the game:

- William and Mary couldn't do much of anything on offense. The RB bailed y'all out quite a few times. The QBs looked completely lost half of the time and the other half of the time they were running for their lives or it was already too late. Only one touchdown, zero points in the entire second half, and barely over 200 yards total offense for the whole game? I expected more out of the #2 team in the country.

- The triple option gets better every down it seems. 3 months ago we were fumbling, missing blocks, false-starting, having timing issues, and couldn't figure out who was going to play where (o-line, and the backs). That has all been figured out. We didn't fumble the ball one time today on 59 carries for 423 yards rushing, averaging 7.2 yards per carry. Our guys laid out monster blocks, we had a few penalties and need to work on that, the timing was perfect even though the announcer on the NCAA feed kept saying it was a "late" pitch (they weren't late obviously). We had 7 different guys carry the ball today.

- Robert Brown continues to astound me. He is a TRUE freshman and this time last year he was probably trying to figure out who to take to prom. He has matured exponentially in the course of the season. He had almost as many yards just by himself as W&M has for the whole game! 178 yards total on 24 carries, rocking out with 7.4 yards per carry. Those are HUGE numbers for any running back, even more so for a true freshman. I can't wait to see what he looks like in 2 or 3 years.

- Jaybo Shaw is the man. Enough said. He isn't "flashy", he isn't the fastest guy, and he doesn't have the best arm, but there is nobody else that I would rather have play QB for us. The leadership he brings on that field is phenomenal. I still can't believe that interception he threw. That was so un-Jaybo like.

- Manbearpig aka Brent Russell ate his Wheaties again and had a field day. Notice like we have been saying all year, he doesn't put up the biggest numbers ever but is the most disruptive force an offense would never want to worry about. How many holding penalties did W&M get called on because they were double/triple teaming Brent and he STILL got loose? And he's only a sophomore.

- Our defense played lights out. How many times did we almost pick W&M off? Pitching a shutout for the entire second half, awesome.

- I don't know what Jeff Monken said to our guys at halftime but it worked. If it was anything like the Navy game halftime speech, this guy should become a motivational speaker after he gets through coaching.

- From reading on our boards the W&M fans were fantastic hosts. Thanks to them for the gracious hospitality.

wmmii
December 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
:

- William and Mary couldn't do much of anything on offense. The RB bailed y'all out quite a few times. The QBs looked completely lost half of the time and the other half of the time they were running for their lives or it was already too late. Only one touchdown, zero points in the entire second half, and barely over 200 yards total offense for the whole game? I expected more out of the #2 team in the country.

- From reading on our boards the W&M fans were fantastic hosts. Thanks to them for the gracious hospitality.

Your right, our QB was not getting the job done yesterday. He over threw open receivers early in the game and make some of the mental mistakes like he did at JMU-like throwing the ball pass the line and taking a big sack vs dumping the ball when out of the pocket. No question that you all played with better intensity and spirit than our kids did overall, plus you are right GRimes, our RB, is all hustle. Good luck with Wofford, I have not seen them play but you all look very good yesterday.

Also thanks for the kind words, we try to extend good Southern Hospitality!

AppMAN04
December 5th, 2010, 09:52 AM
CONGRATS GSU!!

wmmii
December 5th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Before Shoop showed up, we would have given up 50 points and 600 yards in this game, but he's got to keep improving our approach to be able to contend with option style offenses (JMU). I'm more disappointed in the offense than anything. Jimmye has got to dial up the old playbook that had us averaging 35 points a game most years. Hopefully Paulus is healthy next year and lives up to his talent and Grimes has another great year - boy did he throw some mean blocks today while picking up 100 yards. Only person who played a solid game.

Shoop is doing a great job, just hope we can keep him!

Caprio will give Paulus a run for the starting QB

GaSouthern
December 5th, 2010, 11:23 AM
W&M, I must say that it has been a pleasure speaking with all of you on AGS and GSUFans.com... you have a great team and a great fanbase and I fully enjoyed the week leading up to the game, good luck next season, maybe you guys can come down to statesboro next year and i'll bring out all my best recipes.

SideLine Shooter
December 5th, 2010, 11:58 AM
GSU - 38
W&M - 21

I don't know what I was thinking, missed by a TD each.

GaSouthern
December 5th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Guess you got some!

and it was goooood!

Eagle16
December 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Your right, our QB was not getting the job done yesterday. He over threw open receivers early in the game and make some of the mental mistakes like he did at JMU-like throwing the ball pass the line and taking a big sack vs dumping the ball when out of the pocket.

I attribute a lot of that to the pressure our D-line was getting. After watching the highlights of all the other games W&M played, it seemed your QB had more time. Props to the Eagle defense for creating the pressure that disrupted the passing game.

tribefan40
December 5th, 2010, 02:40 PM

Why would we want to do that? You guys might actually beat us if that happened... xshhhx

tribefan40
December 5th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I attribute a lot of that to the pressure our D-line was getting. After watching the highlights of all the other games W&M played, it seemed your QB had more time. Props to the Eagle defense for creating the pressure that disrupted the passing game.

+1. Most aggressive defense we've played all year. You guys pinned your ears back and didn't slow down. Go beat the Terriers!

tribe ol
December 5th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Congrats Eagles! This one hurts. I think if we had played our absolute best, we probably still lose. Your team is peaking at the perfect time and you deserved this one big time. Please continue to play well.

Thanks to a great group of W&M seniors and a great season from our coaching staff. The performance of the other CAA teams speaks to the magnitude of our accomplishments in the regular season.

OL FU
December 5th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Just stopping in to eat a little crow. I did think GSU would be a good team at the end of the season but I was convinced the first part of the year would be rough enough to keep you guys out of the playoffs. Consider crow eaten.

Damn that was some nasty tasting stuff