PDA

View Full Version : Does McNeese Have a Chance?

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2010, 07:37 AM
The folks on Geaux Cowboys (http://forums.delphiforums.com/geauxcowboys/messages/?msg=11807.1) believe that McNeese has a chance with a 'W' this weekend against Central Arkansas...

The head coach Matt Viator also believes the team (http://www.americanpress.com/lc/blogs/wpnewssum/?p=12148) has a chance, according to the Lake Charles American Press...

So, do the Pokes get in with a win? Or do they need to win the automatic qualifier as their means of getting in?

The team has five Division I wins entering the final weekend, as the game against Lamar did not count towards their Division I win total.

This week, McNeese entered the GPI (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?319-GPI-11-16-2010) at No. 25.

So - realistically, with a win this weekend and needing entrance as an at-large, do the Pokes have a chance?

Please know, this is not meant as smack. I'm not seeing any mention of McNeese's possibility of making the Div I playoffs anywhere, but on their own boards. I'm really confused as to whether there is the slightest possibility if they get in... and it seems only one other fan on their board acknowledged what I said questioning it...

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2010, 07:39 AM
IMO if they only have six D-I wins then I say no.

McNeese72
November 18th, 2010, 07:49 AM
"Go Demons! Fork'em!!"

I don't know why you are even worried about what some of the uninformed McNeese fans think? I think this thread just wastes space and the only use would be to stir up trouble.

Doc

McNeese75
November 18th, 2010, 08:05 AM
The folks on Geaux Cowboys (http://forums.delphiforums.com/geauxcowboys/messages/?msg=11807.1) believe that McNeese has a chance with a 'W' this weekend against Central Arkansas...

The head coach Matt Viator also believes the team (http://www.americanpress.com/lc/blogs/wpnewssum/?p=12148) has a chance, according to the Lake Charles American Press...

So, do the Pokes get in with a win? Or do they need to win the automatic qualifier as their means of getting in?

The team has five Division I wins entering the final weekend, as the game against Lamar did not count towards their Division I win total.

This week, McNeese entered the GPI (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?319-GPI-11-16-2010) at No. 25.

So - realistically, with a win this weekend and needing entrance as an at-large, do the Pokes have a chance?

Please know, this is not meant as smack. I'm not seeing any mention of McNeese's possibility of making the Div I playoffs anywhere, but on their own boards. I'm really confused as to whether there is the slightest possibility if they get in... and it seems only one other fan on their board acknowledged what I said questioning it...

Pretty silly question TT. OF COURSE McNeese has a chance. The AQ will be available if the Demons beat SFA. Regarding an at-large bid, probably not because there are plenty of teams with more wins and a softer schedule.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Pretty silly question TT. OF COURSE McNeese has a chance. The AQ will be available if the Demons beat SFA. Regarding an at-large bid, probably not because there are plenty of teams with more wins and a softer schedule.

This thread is in regards to the at-large...

Hardly a silly question, because your fellow McNeese fans on Geaux Cowboys really perplexed me with all this discussion that makes it seem like you guys have a chance at an at-large - so I was questioning whether I am missing something...

McNeese72
November 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM
This thread is in regards to the at-large...

Hardly a silly question, because your fellow McNeese fans on Geaux Cowboys really perplexed me with all this discussion that makes it seem like you guys have a chance at an at-large - so I was questioning whether I am missing something...

Fans always try to hang on to that last little hope.

You are just trying to stir things up in guise of starting discussion. Your normal m.o.

McNeese has little chance of getting in without a Northwestern St. and a McNeese win.

There, you have your answer and further discussion is not necessary.

</discussion>

Doc

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2010, 09:05 AM
No chance. I think there are 6 DI win teams (the CAA fallout, Montana potentially, WIU potentially, Sac State, etc.) that would be more deserving.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM
You are just trying to stir things up in guise of starting discussion. Your normal m.o.

Was not allowed to even bring up the six/seven win situation on GeauxCowboys, forcing the discussion (or the 'stir things up' approach - whatever suits your fancy) over to AGS.

No chance. I think there are 6 DI win teams (the CAA fallout, Montana potentially, WIU potentially, Sac State, etc.) that would be more deserving.

If they take a six win team this year - would you say they are opening up a can of worms for the future? Setting the precedent, if you will?

McNeeserocket
November 18th, 2010, 10:06 AM

McNeese is concerned about playing and winning a conference game this weekend. Whatever happens after that is up to the NCAA.
* If McNeese wins and SFA loses then McNeese is auto qualifier.
* If McNeese and SFA lose then there is a 3 way tie for Conference Title and the SLC uses a myriad of tie-breaker rules to determine its auto qualifier
* If McNeese wins and SFA wins, then SFA gets the auto qualifier but both share the Conference Title; however the NCAA still has the right to decide if McNeese merits an at-large bid to the playoffs

Does McNeese meet the minimum requirements to receive an at large bid? That’s a question that only the NCAA can answer because the 7 Division I wins is a suggestion as a determination for a playoff spot, not a mandate.

But here is something for those of you who want to be fair minded to think about: The reason that McNeese would not have 7 Division wins even if they win this weekend (a big if), is because that the NCAA decided a couple of years ago that there would be a classification moratorium on any team starting or restarting football or desiring to move up a classification. Lamar University was a Division I member for many years until they decided to terminate their football program in 1989. They revived their football program this year. If they had revived their football program next year, then Lamar would start out from day one being classified as Division I. They are and have been a Southland Conference member competing in only Division I for all of their sports for many decades. Instead of being classified as Division I this year they are merely listed as "unclassified," meaning they are not Division I, Divsion II, Division III or even NAIA.

Southeastern Louisiana revived their Division I football program in 2003 after having terminated it in 1985. When they restarted up their program in 2003 they were classified Division I from day one. So the difference in these two teams reviving their Division I programs is the timing of the NCAA's temporary moratorium on classifying new or moving up programs.

Lamar will be classified a Division I team in 2011 when the moratorium is lifted and would have been a Division I classified team this year had the NCAA not put an temporary moratorium in place a couple of years ago.

All that being said, McNeese will be fine no matter what the NCAA determines, and all this may be moot if McNeese does not win this weekend. We have a football game to play this weekend against a worthy opponent and that is our concern now.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Great points Rocket!

Is it true that Old Dominion was counted as a Div I football program last year while Lamar was not this year? I was led to believe that in another thread and could not get a straight answer. If there was a difference, why was there?

I understand why South Alabama was not counted this year...

DG Cowboy
November 18th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Certainly, I think Lamar should have counted, but we don't make the rules. In fairness, for a 7-4 ( 6 D1 wins) McNeese team, even with LSU and Mizzou losses, to get an at-large, we have to have better playoff results than we have had lately.

McNeeserocket
November 18th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Was not allowed to even bring up the six/seven win situation on GeauxCowboys, forcing the discussion (or the 'stir things up' approach - whatever suits your fancy) over to AGS.

If they take a six win team this year - would you say they are opening up a can of worms for the future? Setting the precedent, if you will?

The NCAA is the governing body over College Sports. Their rules, regulations and guidelines are put in place to protect, enhance and govern college sports.

Recently, (within the last couple of years) the NCAA put into place a temporary moratorium on classification and reclassification of teams that want to start, restart or move their football programs. This change was deemed necessary for stabilization review. When the NCAA started the moratorium it inadvertently caused a potential problem for FCS teams who had contracted to play those teams who would be later deemed temporarily "unclassified." FCS teams who contracted to play a team who was starting or re-starting football did not know that the temporary moratorium would put their schedule in jeopardy of not meeting enough competition in Division I. Certainly it was never the intention of the NCAA to cause such problems.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Recently, (within the last couple of years) the NCAA put into place a temporary moratorium on classification and reclassification of teams that want to start, restart or move their football programs. This change was deemed necessary for stabilization review. When the NCAA started the moratorium it inadvertently caused a potential problem for FCS teams who had contracted to play those teams who would be later deemed temporarily "unclassified." FCS teams who contracted to play a team who was starting or re-starting football did not know that the temporary moratorium would put their schedule in jeopardy of not meeting enough competition in Division I. Certainly it was never the intention of the NCAA to cause such problems.

I would think Old Dominion would have fallen under the same provision - were they Div I counter or not last year?

I'm aware of the moratorium - figured Lamar signed the deal with McNeese with McNeese knowing all too well that they'd not be a counter based on the timeline. Thought McNeese added another FBS game after that decision, because it was too good to pass up.

McNeeserocket
November 18th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I would think Old Dominion would have fallen under the same provision - were they Div I counter or not last year?

I'm aware of the moratorium - figured Lamar signed the deal with McNeese knowing all too well that they'd not be a counter based on the timeline. Thought McNeese added another FBS game after that decision, because it was too good to pass up.

I really don't think that you, or anyone outside of McNeese and Lamar Athletic Administrations should/would hazard a guess when contract negotiations started for the McNeese/Lamar game. I am sure that the McNeese administration wanted this game with Lamar to renew the old rivarly, and being we are only 60 miles apart and they would be joining the Southland as soon as the schedules could be arranged by Southland officials it was a done deal almost from the first day Lamar determined a start day for football. Your assumations and my guesses have little value as to anything. Do you realize that most teams have contracts years in place, or least in negotiations, prior to the playing of those games? We have contracts with Appalachian State and Montana that are as much as 6 years from now. If for any reason between now and then any of us (Appst., Montana or McNeese) have qualificaiton or classification problems it may or may not affect the legality of the contract and whether a team would have to pay to terminate the contract.

The point of my post is to point out that the NCAA enacted a temporary change to their normal routine (classification) and if they so choose they could temporairily change there normal criteria for consideration into the playoffs. The NCAA is kinda like the IRS in that they can kind of make and interpret their rules and laws as they want.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM

I think they're going to face this more often than not with the parody in the bigger conferences. Are we going to penalize bigger conference teams for having to play better teams? I'd like to see Bethune Cookman go 11-0 against Villanova, Delaware, UNH, UMass, Richmond, W&M, and JMU, nevermind URI and Maine (one has wins over UNH and 'Nova, the other over UNH while losing by just 3 to W&M).

msusig
November 18th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I think we have a shot at the at-large with a win against Central Arkansas. We will have won our last 5 games, played two top 25 BCS teams (LSU & Missouri), and one of our losses was a last minute loss against a highly ranked SFA team. But this conversation doesn't matter if we don't get the win against Central Arkansas.

UNH Fanboi
November 18th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Even if Lamar were technically a counter, I don't think McNeese would get in at 7-4

worrierking
November 18th, 2010, 02:37 PM
It's possible that the committee may have to choose some 6-win teams. Consider this scenario:

Richmond loses to W & M

Villanova loses to Delaware

Montana loses to MSU

NDSU loses to MoState

Chattanooga loses to Wofford

GSU loses to Furman

WIU loses to UNI

That would leave 14 certain teams in the playoffs

Delaware
ASU
EWU
W & M
SFA
Jax State
Montana State
UNI
Wofford
SEMO
Bethune-Cookman
Robert Morris
Lehigh
Stony Brook/ Big South Champ

I am assuming UMass and UNH win, so that gives us 16 teams in. You need four more. That leaves the only teams with 7 D1 wins as teams with good records but suspect schedules, computer ratings etc. We know the committee will be reluctant to put in folks like SC State, Jacksonville, Central Connecticut for those reasons. Let's say all three get in, that's 19 teams and at that point I believe you will only be left with 6-win teams. If the committee refuses to admit non scholly teams, then you need two. If UMass or UNH get upset you need more. If the committee can't see taking SC State you need another. There are several different scenarios in which the committee may be forced to choose at least one 6 d1 win team and McNeese with a 6-2 FCS record may compare favorably in their mind to people like Montana with four FCS losses. Of course, this scenario might leave the door open for any number of 6-5 teams too. Anyway, that's how McNeese could end up as an at-large. It's highly unlikely. It wouldn't shock me if the committee ends up choosing a 6 d1 win team or two, as I believe they would be very unimpressed with SC State and Jacksonville.

JohnStOnge
November 18th, 2010, 07:00 PM
The odds against it are overwhelming but I have seen strange things happen with the selection committee so I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Bottom line is McNeese should've beaten SFA when they had the Lumberjacks on the ropes in spite of having lost their starting QB and starting running back in the first half. If they'd have made a play on defense late they'd already be in with the automatic bid and we wouldn't be talking about this.

But they didn't so now it's pretty much "Geaux Demons!"

Chemhen
November 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I think the Committee will only take a 6 win team if there are no eligible 7 win teams to choose from. McNeese's advantages are 3 of their 4 losses are good losses (and two of them don't even count), they're on a winning streak, and the McNeese name has more cachet than, say Jacksonville. Add to that that, if they win, they'll have a share of the title (assuming no auto-bid), and it wouldn't shock me if they get in. I think they need help though, especially from UD, MSU, Furman, W&M, etc.

McNeese75
November 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM

Nice opinion but I'm not so sure Montana or Sac State is more deserving.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 19th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Yes.

Nice opinion but I'm not so sure Montana or Sac State is more deserving.

This.

Not really sure what happened against CP (Mizzou hangover?) but the Cowboys should be in over MSU, SEMO and all the other "#2s" with their weak-arse schedules. IMO, their game against the Bears starts their playoff run.

Otherwise, the NCAA needs to revise their number one playoff qualification of SoS.

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM
If only Southern U hadn't canceled! Seriously. I was glad they scheduled Cal Poly but if they hadn't had to replace Southern with the Mustangs it's just about certain they'd be in with a win tomorrow.

And the Lamar thing does bug me. Same old same old. Lamar may not be better than most FCS teams but it's better than some. And if McNeese had played...say...North Carolina A&T instead of Lamar and won then McNeese would have the magic 7 D-I wins if they beat Central Arkansas tomorrow night. That's a big "if" by the way. But the point is that this thing of rigidly looking for "D-I" wins is something I've never liked whether we're talking about McNeese or anybody else.

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2010, 06:03 PM
As the McFans said.. .had to win in order to have a chance to make this a worthwhile discussion.

UCA 28-24 McNeese FINAL

Gordon Shumway
November 20th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I don't generally follow threads involving McNeese very closely. However, after reading postings related to our playoff matchup last year, and now this thread, I have to give kudos to the Cowboy's posters for being some of the more grounded posters on this board. xbeerchugx

McNeese72
November 20th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I don't generally follow threads involving McNeese very closely. However, after reading postings related to our playoff matchup last year, and now this thread, I have to give kudos to the Cowboy's posters for being some of the more grounded posters on this board. xbeerchugx

Thanks. Good luck in the playoffs.

We will have to try again next season. We need to get the four runningbacks we lost prior to and during this season healed up. We only play one BCS team next season and Lamar will be a counter, so we might have a better chance of getting there.

I'll guess I'll need to show some conference allegiance and say, "Go, Jacks!"

Doc