PDA

View Full Version : Public/Private HS Football in New Jersey

Big Al
November 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Man, it looks to me like New Jersey's HS football system is a mess:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/12/sports/12preps.html

Here in Iowa, all schools are members of the Iowa HS Athletic Association, which is responsible for dividing the schools into classes -- usually based on size, although I know of at least two Catholic schools in Eastern Iowa who play "up" a class due to their success in sports.

Bogus Megapardus
November 12th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I live here. It's always been like this. There are the large parochial schools like Don Bosco, Seton Hall Prep, Bergen Catholic and DePaul. These guys play the best football and are highly sought after by DI schools. They are in the "non-public" division. Then there are the private schools like Lawrenceville, Peddie and Newark Academy. That's a different level. The public schools then are grouped by size. But they all play one another. The idea is to crown as many "champions" as possible.

Big Al
November 12th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I guess the weird thing for me is here in Iowa, as a rule you don't play outside your class. (There are 8-man, A, 1A, 2A, 3A & 4A classes) Further, IIRC the IHSAA sets all the schedules for the schools. Keeps the schools from playing games by loading up on creampuffs and the like.