PDA

View Full Version : Sports Conspiracies

Reed Rothchild
May 10th, 2005, 11:02 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/3594758

Here is their list (not in order):

1. Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker get caught fixing a baseball game.
2. Hank Greenberg doesn't get pitched to
3. The unwritten and unspoken agreement by major league baseball owners not to sign black players until Branch Rickey signed Jackie Robinson in 1947.
4. Sonny Liston probably threw at least one fight against Muhammad Ali.
5. Alan Eagleson abuses power as the head of the NHL players union.
6. MLB owners collude vs. free-agent baseball players.
7. The Knicks win the NBA's first lottery draft in 1985.
8. Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield fight to a controversial draw in a unified heavyweight title fight in 1992.
9. Isiah Thomas is left off the 1992 Olympic Dream Team.
10. The 1972 U.S. Olympic Basketball team, 1988 Olympian Roy Jones Jr. deprived of gold medals.

Can anyone think of more?

blueballs
May 10th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Here are five more...

- The figure skating judging controversy from the last olympics...
- The lack of black head coaches in college football...
- Shaq & Kobe both wind up w/the Lakers in summer '96, Shaq thru FA,
Kobe thru one of the most lopsided trades in history.
- The BCS...
- Gymnastics and skating judging at the olympics during the "Cold War" era...

ccujacket
May 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I heard something about people thinking UNLV threw the '91 NCAA Tournament game against Duke a while ago. I don't know if theres any truth to that.

Coastal89
May 10th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Phill Fulmers recruiting tactics! :D

ISUMatt
May 10th, 2005, 01:49 PM
NY Knicks winning the Lottery to draft Patrick Ewing!!!

Marcus Garvey
May 10th, 2005, 02:55 PM
What about the NBA always manuvering to assure the success of their marquee franchise, the LA Lakers? Let's see, Lew Alcindor (later Kareem Abdul-Jabar) is unahppy in Milwaukee, so he get's traded to, ummm... who was it? Oh yeah! The Lakers!
Shaq isn't happy in Orlando, but by some miracle, he gets traded to the Lakers!
Let's not forget the 2002 Western Conf. finals. Seemed to me every questionable call went in LA's favor. God forbid they lose to a team from Sacramento!

There are many reasons I've stopped watching the NBA, but the continued dominance of the Lakers (and let's face it, though they suck this year, we all know they'll be back) and the transparent way the league seems to help them are two of them.

colgate13
May 10th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Anytime a best of 7 series stretches to 7 games after one team was ahead makes me scratch my head...

putter
May 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Todd Foster (Montana boxer) in the Seoul Olympics beating the wholly living crap out of a Korean boxer and losing the fight by unanimous decision. Definitely a conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!

blackfordpu
May 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM
The conspiracy to call fouls on Yao Ming in the playoffs against Dallas this season. :D :p

Tod
May 10th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Todd Foster (Montana boxer) in the Seoul Olympics beating the wholly living crap out of a Korean boxer and losing the fight by unanimous decision. Definitely a conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!

I may just be getting senile at the ripe old age of 39, but I don't think that happened. What did happen was that some bouts were being fought simultaneously and boxers were told to listen for either a buzzer or bell, whichever applied. Well, the wrong one sounded and the Korean dropped his gloves and Foster whacked him in the face. The Korean corner tells him to get down and wryth around as if he were in great pain as Foster looks on, stunned.

They end up having a rematch and Foster wins by TKO.

Foster loses his next fight to an Australian.

Anybody remember this? That's how I remember it... :confused:

mlbowl
May 11th, 2005, 07:37 AM

He actually knocked the Korean out and the Korean's corner said he stopped fighting because he heard a bell (wasn't the bell for that fight) He had to fight him again later that night & beat the hell out of him AGAIN...........but lost the decision