PDA

View Full Version : FCS transfer QB's in the NFL

WIU02
November 7th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I have a question that I couldn't find through research. Other than Flacco, does anyone know of any current or former NFL QB's (didn't/don't have to necessarily start for their NFL team) that transferred from an FBS program to an FCS program to get immediate playing time? Thanks in advance.

Sec310
November 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Spergon Wynn-Minn to Texas St. Vikings
Giovanni Carmazzi- redshirted at Pacific, Hofstra: 49ers

No1Bluehen
November 7th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Andy Hall transferred from Georgia Tech to Delaware and was then drafted by the Eagles.

TwoFeathers
November 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I have a question that I couldn't find through research. Other than Flacco, does anyone know of any current or former NFL QB's (didn't/don't have to necessarily start for their NFL team) that transferred from an FBS program to an FCS program to get immediate playing time? Thanks in advance.

I know what you're thinking, future Devlin. What about future Paulus at W&M?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 7th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Gavin Hoffman - transferred from Northwestern to Penn, spent time with the Bengals

WIU02
November 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I know what you're thinking, future Devlin. What about future Paulus at W&M?

Actually no, I know a current big ten player who got the shaft at QB and now plays WR. Very similar story to Tyler Palko and Flacco at Pitt. He is graduating in May, and will have one year of football eligibility remaining. Instead of sticking around next season and getting a pass or two thrown his way on his current team, I suggested a move to the FCS. His goal is to play QB in the NFL.

soccerguy315
November 7th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Actually no, I know a current big ten player who got the shaft at QB and now plays WR. Very similar story to Tyler Palko and Flacco at Pitt. He is graduating in May, and will have one year of football eligibility remaining. Instead of sticking around next season and getting a pass or two thrown his way on his current team, I suggested a move to the FCS. His goal is to play QB in the NFL.

Well I think Devlin is graduating, so Delaware should be in the market for another transfer QB

theasushow
November 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Well I think Devlin is graduating, so Delaware should be in the market for another transfer QB

xlolx

BlueHenSinfonian
November 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM

The fact that the University of Delaware as an institution can draw talent away from high level FBS programs shouldn't be used as an indictment against UD's football program or the school overall. Delaware has high academic standards, top tier academic programs, and a great student atmosphere and campus that helps draw people away from FBS schools and programs when the reality of the situations don't meet the promises put forth by the recruiters.

All that being said, I don't think UD is going to be suiting potentail QBs anytime soon. Sasek has been pretty darn good the times he has been called into play, with just a few mistakes that can easily be ascribed to nerves and general inexperience - he is still a Freshman.

Maroon&White
November 7th, 2010, 09:28 PM
The fact that the University of Delaware as an institution can draw talent away from high level FBS programs

They aren't drawing the talent away, they are taking players who have decided to leave their current FBS school.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 7th, 2010, 09:49 PM
They aren't drawing the talent away, they are taking players who have decided to leave their current FBS school.

You say potato...

If they choose to leave, they still have options, something has to draw them to Newark.

Side Judge
November 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM
You say potato...

If they choose to leave, they still have options, something has to draw them to Newark.

The proximity to Wilmington, Baltimore, and Philadelphia? The happening night life? The ladies?

And hey, I went to UD, so shenanigans to anyone reporting me for smack in the discussion board...

cougarpines
November 8th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Why do yoy think they choose UD over, let's say, Colgate?

insideout08
November 8th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Ingle Martin transferred from Florida to Furman, set a lot of school records, then spent 3 or 4 years in the NFL with Green Bay, Tennessee and Kansas City. I believe his only regular season action was with Green Bay (a few snaps), and now he's out of the league.

Doc QB
November 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM
All that being said, I don't think UD is going to be suiting potentail QBs anytime soon. Sasek has been pretty darn good the times he has been called into play, with just a few mistakes that can easily be ascribed to nerves and general inexperience - he is still a Freshman.

They already have an FBS QB looking to come to UD. No bull, no smack.

But....I always did think Tate Forcier would just change addresses (not helmet designs) until he played well for Michigan this past Saturday.

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Josh McCown is out of the league this year - but went from SMU to SHSU - played for a few squads in the NFL and now is in the UFL having a great year...

Rhett Bomar went from Oklahoma to Sam Houston... now in NFL.

R.A.
November 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Tavaris Jackson of the Minnesota Vikings (The Guy Backing Up Brett Farve) started out at FBS Arkansas. He stayed two seasons with the Razorbacks and was turned into a redshirt at Arkansas, then transferred to Alabama State, going on for three full seasons as the starting quarterback for the Alabama State University "Hornets" of the SWAC.

Here's the college portion of "T-Jack's" bio from Vikings.com

COLLEGE Left school ranked 7th in Southwestern Athletic Conference history with 68 TD passes, despite playing only 3 seasons in the league and ranked 9th in SWAC history with 7,839 yards...Ended ASU career ranked 2nd in TD passes and passing yards...Accounted for 79 career TDs (68 pass, 11 rush)...Threw a TD pass in final 16 straight games and in 19 of his final 20 games..Posted 6 career 300-yard passing games...Competed with Matt Jones for time at QB when both played for Arkansas before transferring to ASU…Earned 2nd-Team All-SWAC honors as a senior…Was tabbed as the SWAC Preseason Offensive Player of the Year...ASU’s captain and offensive MVP during senior year...Threw for 2,941 yards, the 3rd-most in ASU history...Gained 3,226 yards of offense (2,941 passing/285 rushing), the 3rd-most in school history...Threw 3+ TD passes in 7 of 11 games on the season and threw a TD in all 11 games…During junior season he guided the Hornets to SWAC title and a 10-2 mark, becoming only the 2nd QB in school history to lead a team to 10 wins...Named MVP of SWAC Championship VI and the Detroit Football Classic as a junior in 2004...In his ASU debut in 2003, led team to an 8-5 record, the SWAC Eastern Division title and a berth in SWAC Championship V...In 2002 he saw time in 8 games for the Razorbacks in his final season with the team...Started 1st career collegiate game at Auburn...Threw 1st career TD pass vs. South Florida…As a freshman in 2001, he played in 3 games for the Razorbacks before shoulder injury sidelined him...Granted medical redshirt for season...Made college football debut against UNLV in 2001 season opener.

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2010, 12:34 AM
They already have an FBS QB looking to come to UD. No bull, no smack.

and no link

Maroon&White
November 9th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Why do yoy think they choose UD over, let's say, Colgate?

Which is completely different than drawing them away from "high level FBS programs." It's not as if UD is going out and convicing kids who have zero thought of transfering to come to UD. These kids have expressed their interest to transfer and either were contacted by UD or contacted UD themselves. Far from UD drawing talent away from high level FBS programs.

blukeys
November 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Which is completely different than drawing them away from "high level FBS programs." It's not as if UD is going out and convicing kids who have zero thought of transfering to come to UD. These kids have expressed their interest to transfer and either were contacted by UD or contacted UD themselves. Far from UD drawing talent away from high level FBS programs.

Kids have to contact UD. UD gets these typed of contacts everyday.

Doc QB
November 9th, 2010, 01:19 PM
and no link

Best man from my wedding is on staff there, when he says it is okay to tell the world, I would be happy to reveal source and QB. No need to betray confidences here. You don't need to believe me, it really matters little to me at all. I have no problem with KC and UD attracting quality FBS QB transfers. Not all have panned out to become first round draft choices. It does make a sticky situation try to sell UD to HS kids, which is the double edge sword that being a transfer haven endures.

wheeman04
November 10th, 2010, 09:39 PM
David Rivers transferred from UVA to Western Carolina. Listed as playing one season for Oakland Raiders. Dunno if he saw any game time.

superman7515
November 11th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Eric Farkas, Safety, from Seminole HS has committed to UD over Ole Miss, Duke, Florida Atlantic, and UCF. Rated the #21 player for all positions in central Florida.

Nick Boyle, Long Snapper & Tight End, from High Point Regional has committed to UD over Rutgers.

Logan Schultz, Defensive End & Defensive Tackle, from Gettysburg HS has committed to UD over Rutgers, Louisville, Maryland, Pitt, Boston College, Penn St, West Virginia, and Clemson.

Guess it depends on who you consider to be a high level FBS program.