League/Overall

Lehigh 2-0/5-2
Holy Cross 2-1/4-4
Bucknell 1-1/1-6
Colgate 1-1/4-3
Georgetown 2-2/3-5
Fordham 1-2/3-5
Lafayette 0-2/1-6

*Pick ‘em includes Fordham in League standings without regard to Patriot League eligibility rules.

SOME STATS:

Offense - Yds. per Game

1. Colgate 426.3
2. Fordham 389.3
3. LAFAYETTE 348.0
4. Holy Cross 330.7
5. Georgetown 287.1
6. Lehigh 281.5
7. Bucknell 251.2

Defense - Yds. per Game

1. Colgate 299.8
2. Bucknell 352.8
3. Fordham 357.6
4. Georgetown 363.0
5. LAFAYETTE 366.5
6. Holy Cross 377.1
7. Lehigh 415.3

Stats do NOT include 10/23 games.

RichH2
October 24th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Gate , Pards , Hoyas. LU will need D to at least slow Eachus and Sullivan, create TOs. I'm not to optimistc as no one else has stopped them. LU has not shown yet that they can win a shootout. A tough game. My heart says LU will break losing streak vs Raiders. My head so far refuses to go along.

crusader11
October 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I'm not to optimistc as no one else has stopped them.

I'd say Holy Cross held Colgate in check this past Saturday.

carney2
October 24th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I'd say Holy Cross held Colgate in check this past Saturday.

Holy Cross won, but Eachus ran for 155 and Sullivan for another 55. I guess "holding them in check" is a term without definition, but to me the 'saders are borderline - at best.

crusader11
October 24th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Holy Cross won, but Eachus ran for 155 and Sullivan for another 55. I guess "holding them in check" is a term without definition, but to me the 'saders are borderline - at best.

Eh, maybe. But, I think for those in attendance and who watched the game, the Crusaders did a fabulous job defending the rushing attack from Colgate. Aside from a 35 yard run from Eachus, the next longest run was 12 yards. In fact, Eachus only had two runs that went for double-digit yardage.

crusader11
October 24th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Oh, and right now, I think it would be hard to not call Holy Cross the front runner to win the PL. I think that HC and Lehigh are pretty much neck and neck, but the edge should go to the Crusaders who have Lehigh at home and two weeks to prepare for them. And "borderline" is probably good enough to win the league this year.

Sam
October 24th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I was in attendence for the game- Holy Cross dirty????? Punching guys when they are down the tacktics that were used taught or incouraged by coaching staff? Interesting you know what I am talking about? NO CLASS!!!!!!

Bogus Megapardus
October 24th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I still think it will be Colgate, assuming Colgate beats Lehigh and Holy Cross falls to Lehigh. I think Holy Cross has to win out to take it because Colgate is unlikely to lose another game.

crusader11
October 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I was in attendence for the game- Holy Cross dirty????? Punching guys when they are down the tacktics that were used taught or incouraged by coaching staff? Interesting you know what I am talking about? NO CLASS!!!!!!

I am trying to decipher what you are saying, but you have written your message in broken English, so it is difficult. But, I think I have the gist of it.

Considering Holy Cross was penalized three times for just 23 yards, none of which were personal fouls, I am not really sure how you can call Holy Cross "dirty."

Colgate, in my opinion, is not a dirty team, but if you were going to call one of the teams dirty, it would be them. Cases in point: 1) The cheap shot on Holy Cross receiver Mike Fess (#3) as he was going up for a ball over the middle of the field. The ball was already passed him and uncatchable by all players, yet he was delivered with a cheap shot by Brad Keele. 2) Luke Chmielinski's 5 yard reception deep in the first quarter where he was body slammed by Zach Smith after the whistle had been blown. 3) Greg Sullivan shouting a big "F You" to the Holy Cross sideline midway through the 4th quarter.

Now, I am not calling Holy Cross a bunch of choir boys, as in the midst of any football game there will be hits and extracurricular activities that occur in the heat of the moment. But, I am not exactly sure how you can call Holy Cross classless and question the tactics (yes, it is spelled without a "K") that the coaching staff implements.

crusader11
October 24th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Yes. Holy Cross does have to win out, and that will be no easy task. But, HC does hold its destiny in its hands, which is the best feeling in sports...knowing you control your fate. Of course, Lehigh controls its own destiny too, but having to play in Worcester, after Holy Cross has had two weeks to prepare for them will make it a challenging task for Lehigh. A lot has still yet to have been decided. Hell, Lafayette could still win the league. Although, the only thing that is keeping them in the discussion for the league crown is mathematics, because on the field, they will be fortunate to win three games this year.

Go...gate
October 24th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Oh, and right now, I think it would be hard to not call Holy Cross the front runner to win the PL. I think that HC and Lehigh are pretty much neck and neck, but the edge should go to the Crusaders who have Lehigh at home and two weeks to prepare for them. And "borderline" is probably good enough to win the league this year.

And you guys still remember how to win.

Sader87
October 24th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Tacktics? Incouraged? The misuse of a question mark? This, my good sir, is a Patriot League thread. Please, both write and spell accordingly in the future.

ngineer
October 24th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Holy Cross has a loss to Georgetown, correct? So, I don't see how they are viewed as ahead of the pack at this point. I think it's all a crap shoot at this point. I think our D will be able to come up with a scheme for 'controlling' Eachus. The question is whether the offense, which seems to be reaching a new level, can maintain the momentum against a higher quality opponent. I do agree that Holy Cross having two weeks to prepare for us will make that game extra tough.

crusader11
October 24th, 2010, 11:31 PM
It is a crap shoot, but mostly between Lehigh and Holy Cross. Colgate no longer controls their own destiny, and needs help. I firmly believe that the Patriot League championship game will be on November 6th at Fitton Field: Holy Cross vs. Lehigh. The winner of that game wins the league.

Go...gate
October 25th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Tacktics? Incouraged? The misuse of a question mark? This, my god sir, is a Patriot League thread. Please, both write and spell accordingly in the future.

Looks like it is time to impose an Academic Index on all participants in a Patriot League thread.

jimbo65
October 25th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Colgate over Lehigh

LaFayette, Bucknel, can I pick neither?

Fordham over Gtown

carney2
October 25th, 2010, 10:26 AM
COLGATE @ LEHIGH
Colgate – Suddenly and unexpectedly a tough call.

LAFAYETTE @ BUCKNELL
Lafayette – The Toilet Bowl.

GEORGETOWN @ FORDHAM
Fordham – Hoyas have folded their tents.

DFW HOYA
October 25th, 2010, 10:37 AM
GEORGETOWN @ FORDHAM

The last season Georgetown won at Fordham, Frank Tavani was a running back at Lebanon Valley.

Bogus Megapardus
October 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Ivy & Patriot lines for this week:

Yale (-2) vs Columbia

Princeton (-1) at Cornell

Colgate (-2) at Lehigh

Lafayette (-7) at Bucknell

Fordham (-11.5) vs Georgetown

Harvard (-1.5) at Dartmouth

Penn (-7.5) vs Brown

ngineer
October 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I think Lehigh/Colgate will be alot like the last game played at Goodman between these two. Down to the wire. I believe the defense finds an answer to control Eachus and the Offense comports wells. Lehigh 27-25

Lafayette and the Bison are swirling. Gotta believe Frank is able to rally the troops for this one. 'pards 20-16.

Fordham's feeling good after last week's 'drive' at the end. Rams 27-13.

Holy Cross has two weeks to prepare for Lehigh, plus watch the Mountain Hawks have to pull out all stops against the Raiders. Cecchini will likely have to open the entire book, so take notes.

TheValleyRaider
October 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Another yikes week, 1-3, knocks me down to 23-20 on the year. Feeling pretty mediocre right now, time to get back on track

Colgate at Lehigh Colgate Biggest problems on Saturday were two fumbles deep in our own territory and a kick return TD. I feel confident we can fix at least one of those things between now and this weekend. Bethlehem was, I though in preseason, our toughest game of the year, and so far I won't shy away from that. I think after last week's disappointment, though, the Raiders come out strong and get the road win

Lafayette at Bucknell Bucknell This is a coin-flip game. Neither team has looked good, except maybe for the Leopards win over Stony Brook. With little to separate these two, I'll take the home team here. Hard fall for Tavani's crew this year

Georgetown at Fordham Fordham Flip the coin again, again it comes up home team. Rams able to gut one out against a reeling Hoya squad

Ivytalk
October 25th, 2010, 09:14 PM
COLGATE @ LEHIGH
Colgate – Suddenly and unexpectedly a tough call.

LAFAYETTE @ BUCKNELL
Lafayette – The Toilet Bowl.

GEORGETOWN @ FORDHAM

Agree with these picks.

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I am trying to decipher what you are saying, but you have written your message in broken English, so it is difficult. But, I think I have the gist of it.

Considering Holy Cross was penalized three times for just 23 yards, none of which were personal fouls, I am not really sure how you can call Holy Cross "dirty."

Colgate, in my opinion, is not a dirty team, but if you were going to call one of the teams dirty, it would be them. Cases in point: 1) The cheap shot on Holy Cross receiver Mike Fess (#3) as he was going up for a ball over the middle of the field. The ball was already passed him and uncatchable by all players, yet he was delivered with a cheap shot by Brad Keele. 2) Luke Chmielinski's 5 yard reception deep in the first quarter where he was body slammed by Zach Smith after the whistle had been blown. 3) Greg Sullivan shouting a big "F You" to the Holy Cross sideline midway through the 4th quarter.

Now, I am not calling Holy Cross a bunch of choir boys, as in the midst of any football game there will be hits and extracurricular activities that occur in the heat of the moment. But, I am not exactly sure how you can call Holy Cross classless and question the tactics (yes, it is spelled without a "K") that the coaching staff implements.

Yes Colgate is the closest thing to a dirty team in the PL. See the late hit out of bounds on Rob Curley that cost the Pards the game and possibly two more.

kDex86
October 27th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Yeesh. Went 1-3 last week, 2-8 over the last 2 weeks. Down to 25-18 on the season.

Colgate
Lafayette
Fordham

Bogus Megapardus
October 27th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Yes Colgate is the closest thing to a dirty team in the PL. See the late hit out of bounds on Rob Curley that cost the Pards the game and possibly two more.

I don't think the Patriot has a "dirty team." There has been some chippy play from time to time on the part of some individuals, and some smack with a bit of shoving now and again (in Lafayette-Lehigh games in particular) but I don't think any team can be singled out for personal conduct. I think Patriot teams and players tend to leave it on the field.

RichH2
October 27th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Agree Bogie,

Chippy play will always be with us. As far as I can see , there have been some individual players over the years with a well deserved rep for questionable play. I cannot recall any team that could be called "dirty".

Bogus Megapardus
October 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I cannot recall any team that could be called "dirty".

Except Lafayette, pre-renovation.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lafa/galleries/football_vs_columbia/gallery2-lg.jpg

Very dirty play.

Go...gate
October 27th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Except Lafayette, pre-renovation.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lafa/galleries/football_vs_columbia/gallery2-lg.jpg

Very dirty play.

REAL football! Bring back the grass.

Lehigh74
October 27th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Is Goodman the only field in the league which is still grass?

DFW HOYA
October 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Is Goodman the only field in the league which is still grass?

Fitton Field has natural turf.

LU65
October 27th, 2010, 02:47 PM
3 and 1 last week, missing only on the HC/CU game.

This week.............

LC 28
BU 24

Two 1 and 6 teams - one ranked #229 and the other #237 - in a contest Sagarin ranks as "even." They each scored 24 against Georgetown but with opposite outcomes. What then is there to choose from? Two things. One team has a greater ability to put points on the board - albeit in losses most of the time - and that same team is in control of their playoff destiny - believe it or not. Sure they have to win-out and go 4-0 over the final month of play, but stranger things have happened they say. Well, maybe not. Go 'pards!

FU 17
GU 10

The Rams have given up three touchdowns in their last 10 quarters of play against Lehigh, Yale, and Lafayette. Can't see the Hoyas getting more than one and maybe a field goal tossed in for extra measure. Taking the home-standing Rams who are already 2 and 1 in the Bronx this year.

LU 34
CU 31

Nate Eachus will get his yards but so, too, will Chris Lum. The keys to a Lehigh win are many, but perhaps none more important than getting up early on Colgate and limiting their 3rd down efficiency. In their 3 prior losses (Furman, Syracuse, and Holy Cross) the Raiders fell behind early (10 to the Paladins, 28 to the Orangemen and 10 to the Crusaders) and converted on only 37% of their 3rd down opportunities. While both teams will undoubtedly come ready to play, none will be more ready than the 13 seniors in the Mountain Hawk starting lineup - all having lived through the pain of three consecutive Raider victories. I'm betting 10,000+ will witness the PL Game of the Year at Goodman this Saturday.

HC - bye

Expect to see a few poorly disguised fans - all with notebooks in hand - dressed in purple on the Colgate side of the field this weekend at Goodman.

ngineer
October 27th, 2010, 04:31 PM
This will also be the seniors last game in Goodman Stadium, so expect a little 'extra' emotion on this.(yeah, I know there is an outside shot of a home playoff game, but let's not get ahead of ourselves). I agree, that the Lehigh O needs to score early and often. Of course, two years ago we jumped out big and lost 34-33 at the end of the game. Defense needs to play Eachus and Sullivan almost like an option. While everyone talks about Eachus, Sullivan is the Patriot League's all-time QB rusher with over 2,000 yards. An area where we should be stronger this year against 'gate is in the secondary. Last year, Simonds killed us. I think "Prez" and Cribbs, along with their trusty backups Andrews and Johnson will be able to go 'man' more frequently than in the past in order to free up the LB's and a safety to give priority to the run at varying times. The key is timing it right. I always fear a blown coverage like last year that was the difference in the game. As usual, the team that makes the least mistakes will win. Holy Cross proved that last week by making not only fewer mistakes, but mistakes that weren't so critical.
I'm hoping Kennedy can return to KR duties Saturday. Special teams in this game can also be the difference.

crusader11
October 27th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Special teams in this game can also be the difference.

It was the real difference for us against Colgate: a 93 yard kickoff return for a touchdown, two punts inside the 5 yard line, 4/4 on PATs and 1/1 on field goals, and averaging 20.5 yards on punt returns.

By the way, here are my reactions to the Colgate vs. Holy Cross game: http://chuchurahrah.blogspot.com/2010/10/reactions-to-colgate-game.html

ngineer
October 27th, 2010, 11:10 PM
It was the real difference for us against Colgate: a 93 yard kickoff return for a touchdown, two punts inside the 5 yard line, 4/4 on PATs and 1/1 on field goals, and averaging 20.5 yards on punt returns.

By the way, here are my reactions to the Colgate vs. Holy Cross game: http://chuchurahrah.blogspot.com/2010/10/reactions-to-colgate-game.html

Very nice article and observations. Your foretelling was very good. Of course, special teams play is always critical and a break down by one team resulting in a loss of points or the scoring of points is a great swing, both of points and momentum. Your observation about the punting is good, because many times the punter's effect is overlooked. Lehigh's punter has done an excellent job this year and, indeed, in my view was the MVP of the Harvard win by pinning the Crimson just as the Crusader's pinned the Raiders twice. Especially with Colgate's emphasis on the run and trailing, making any team drive 95 yards is always good odds. I sure hope we win Saturday to set up one heck of a showdown in Worcester--especially with Gilmore as the HC because he was always highly thought of here on South Mountain. Indeed, many thought he should have gotten the job over Lembo. Hopefully we have some dry weather for a change.

crusader11
October 27th, 2010, 11:20 PM
There is a reason they are called "special." Conversely, Lafayette may have been able to beat Fordham if their punter did not boot the ball into the endzone in the game's final minutes. There was much debate whether Tavani should have gone for it on 4th down or punt it; I personally did not have a problem with him deciding to kick it after looking at the situation. The Lafayette defense had been great all day, so pinning Fordham inside their 10 yard line would have made it tough for them. Tough year for Carney, Bogie, and Tanks, eh? xeyebrowx

LU65
October 28th, 2010, 08:14 AM

You couldn't have been more on target. Nicely said.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Tough year for Carney, Bogie, and Tanks, eh? xeyebrowx

When things looked gloomy in the past we always had Bucknell to look forward to. That would brighten everyone's outlook.

Now? No so much.

crusader11
October 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I just watched a replay of the punt in the Fordham vs. Lafayette game and it was actually a perfectly punted ball. It hit at about the 6 or 7 yard line with 2 Lafayette players right there. It should have been downed, but none of the Leopards were aware of where the ball was.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 28th, 2010, 02:12 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/10/game-preview-colgate-at-lehigh-10302010.html

Homer has come out to play. It should be a great game.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2010, 02:48 PM
The entire PL slate is simply impossible to call this week. So I won't.

Colgate at Lehigh - Devastating loss to the Crusaders last week by at team that looked like it would have its way in the Patriot. I still think Colgate is a bit better (especially wit Eachus and Sullivan) but this is a home game for Lehigh. Pick

Lafayette at Bucknell - Ugh. Yuk. Eww. Worst vs. Last. No one deserves to win this one. Pick

Georgetown at Fordham - The Rams have some nice looking frosh on the line as well as a rookie QB who beat Lafayette last week in his first start. I'd give the Rams at home the edge but for the transitive properties rule (Hoyas beat Crusaders who beat Raiders . . . ). I'm assuming that Georgetown's reversion to its Ways of Old is simply an appeasement to the rest of the Patriot not to go scholarship. Pick

carney2
October 28th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I just watched a replay of the punt in the Fordham vs. Lafayette game and it was actually a perfectly punted ball. It hit at about the 6 or 7 yard line with 2 Lafayette players right there. It should have been downed, but none of the Leopards were aware of where the ball was.

I said on the Lafayette board and I say again, bad punt. With the line of scrimmage at the 33 (4th and 5; took a delay of game penalty to the 38 to give the punter "more room") my Aunt Martha could have punted the ball out of bounds inside the 20. Instead, current coaching philosophy (not just Lafayette) says to punt it down the middle and trust to the vagaries of a bouncing football and that your coverage guys will be in position to control the wildly bouncing ball. Let's see, sure thing by kicking out of bounds vs. wild and crazy scramble down the middle. Tough call.

There's a reason that you don't find football coaches at Mensa meetings.

Franks Tanks
October 28th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I said on the Lafayette board and I say again, bad punt. With the line of scrimmage at the 33 (4th and 5; took a delay of game penalty to the 38 to give the punter "more room") my Aunt Martha could have punted the ball out of bounds inside the 20. Instead, current coaching philosophy (not just Lafayette) says to punt it down the middle and trust to the vagaries of a bouncing football and that your coverage guys will be in position to control the wildly bouncing ball. Let's see, sure thing by kicking out of bounds vs. wild and crazy scramble down the middle. Tough call.

There's a reason that you don't find football coaches at Mensa meetings.

Nobody angles it out of bounds anymore for some reason, I guess it's a lost art. I agree it was a terrible punt. The kid kicked it 25 yards all day. When we needed him to kick in 25 yards he kicks it 40.

It probably wouldnt have mattered anyway. Fordham could've went 200 yards for the TD the way our D played that final series.

ngineer
October 28th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Your points about no one going for the ol' "coffin corner" are well taken. Most of the time the plan is to get two 'gunners' down under the ball to either catch it or down it. I assume some wonks have kept stats on the percentage of success of kicking out of bounds vs downing it. It probably is a lot harder and requires more practice to 'nail down' the out of bounds punt inside the 10.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 29th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Went a putrid 1-3 last week to bring my overall record to 24-19

Lafayette 27 Bucknell 17
Fordham 24 Georgetown 14

Lehigh 31 Colgate 27 - I don't believe this sr. class will go winless against Colgate. They're come ohh-soo close to knocking off the Raiders the last two years. Revenge will be the word of the day tomorrow.

LUHawker
October 29th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Basically no one other than LU followers are picking the Brown & White this week. Either we know better are all seeing things through homer eyes. Frankly, I thing LU -CU is a pick 'em, so I'm surprised the picking isn't more even.

ngineer
October 29th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I think it is a "pick em" game. I'm going with 'us' because of home field and it being the senior's last shot at Colgate and their last regular season game in Goodman.
I saw a great Easton HS defense tonight shut down a strong Liberty HS ground game that came into the game averaging close to 300 yards of rushing a game. I think LU can do the same with Colgate. Defense is what wins championships and, this year, I think our defense is really starting to step up.

Franks Tanks
October 29th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I think it is a "pick em" game. I'm going with 'us' because of home field and it being the senior's last shot at Colgate and their last regular season game in Goodman.
I saw a great Easton HS defense tonight shut down a strong Liberty HS ground game that came into the game averaging close to 300 yards of rushing a game. I think LU can do the same with Colgate. Defense is what wins championships and, this year, I think our defense is really starting to step up.

Liberty is pretty mediocre this year. The lost to Nazareth after all.

Leopard Loyalist
October 29th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Colgate over Lehigh 31-24
Lafayette over Bucknell 28-10
Fordham over Georgetown 21-13

I feel as if I am playing out the string now, being a dismal 23-20 on the season.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2010, 10:57 PM
http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/2010/10/does-anyone-care-about-lehigh-football-anymore.html

It should be a terrific game. Hazleton's Nate Eachus is the nation's leading rusher. He was one of the best high school players I've ever seen and three years later, he's better than ever. He gains four yards just falling to the ground.

I was told that Eachus is fired up for the game. He really wants to tear apart the Mountain Hawks. He's capable of doing it.

We'll see.

This makes me extremely nervous.

CrusaderBob
October 29th, 2010, 11:02 PM
3 -1 last week.

25 - 18 on the season.

I'm late getting this done this week and have no time for a random system to pick the winner. Just going with gut guesses.

Colgate - Going with the angry/More desperate team.

Bucknell - Going with the home team

Fordham - Going with the home team

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 29th, 2010, 11:36 PM
http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/2010/10/does-anyone-care-about-lehigh-football-anymore.html

This makes me extremely nervous.

That whole article seems like a challenge to entire Lehigh football community. IMO, Groller is playing some mind games. I like it!

TheValleyRaider
October 29th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I think it is a "pick em" game. I'm going with 'us' because I'm a Lehigh fan

I think we both know what this is about :p

...and I'm the same way xsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Didn't get them in on my blog,so here they are:

Lafayette 15, Bucknell 14 - Lafayette has a lot fewer holes than Bucknell does at this venture.

Fordham 30, Georgetown 16 - Georgetown has learned again how to lose, and Fordham has learned how to win. This shouldn't be close.