PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Armanti?

PhoenixMan
October 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
The Panthers have played two QB's, both have been awful. QB ratings below 50%, and 0 wins. Meanwhile, you have arguably the best QB in FCS history standing there on the sidelines. He doesn't have NFL QB size.....but he is an accurate passer, strong arm, and we all know how he runs and makes everyone around him better. He's a proven winner, and makes things happen. Put him in at QB!...can it get much worse than it is now??

I realize they are probably waiting for Scott Riddle to become available, but that's not until next season xnodx

SideLine Shooter
October 13th, 2010, 10:07 PM
The Panthers have played two QB's, both have been awful. QB ratings below 50%, and 0 wins. Meanwhile, you have arguably the best QB in FCS history standing there on the sidelines. He doesn't have NFL QB size.....but he is an accurate passer, strong arm, and we all know how he runs and makes everyone around him better. He's a proven winner, and makes things happen. Put him in at QB!...can it get much worse than it is now??

I realize they are probably waiting for Scott Riddle to become available, but that's not until next season xnodx

We finally agree on something, except Scottie is too short.

PhoenixMan
October 13th, 2010, 10:18 PM

Riddle is taller than AE, the same height as Drew Brees...and probably has a stronger arm than Drew. The Riddle part of the post was in jest (mostly), but Fox needs to give AE a shot.

Smitty
October 13th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Because they have only taught Armanti 2 plays.

cmaxwellgsu
October 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM

Riddle's plenty tall enough, he's just a mental midget.

Edge316007
October 13th, 2010, 11:15 PM
If they're not going to play him, may as well let him go somewhere that appreciates the skillset he has.

SalukiJim
October 14th, 2010, 05:36 AM

No, the NFL uses retreads so much, they are trying to find Jeff George (kidding!)xlolx

Fear the Bird
October 14th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Is he listed on the roster as a QB? I always pick him up in Madden as my 5th WR, which is what the game lists him as - actually decent ratings too

biggie
October 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM
He is listed as WR. There are mulitple threads on Panthers websites and a facebook page dedicated to put AE at QB.

Oh this should be in Pros folder.

CrackerRiley
October 14th, 2010, 08:21 AM
If you watched the Panthers game this past weekend (didn't miss much, worse offense performance in league history) he got two snaps behind center. They even let him drop back for a pass but he didn't find a receiver and ended up rushing for 6-7 yards.

Redbird Ray
October 14th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I definitely agree that Armanti deserves a shot at QB there in Carolina. Between Todd Collins and Jimmy Clausen, that game last week had to be one of the worst combined QB efforts I have ever seen at the NFL level.

At 0-5, the Panthers season is already in the tank. While the NFL QB purists will tell you that this is the time to let Clausen or Moore play through the adversity to learn how to win, it would be a shame to not even let Armanti get a shot at some point.

John Fox is almost certainly getting fired at the end of this season, but he will also almost probably get a coordinator job within 5 minutes of his firing, so he may as well try to have some fun with these last 11 games. I say see what Armanti can do at QB, as it can't be too much worse than that God-awful Clausen performance from last week.

App State > Notre Dame xlolx

AppTrex77
October 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Then, after just 2 plays, they took AE out and let Clausen fizzle out again on 3rd down and Fox made the asinine comment that AE didn't make the first down. How brilliant is that??!!??

Edge316007
October 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM
It was amusing to hear all the cheers as Armanti went in at QB and then the boos rain down when he was removed. The public has spoken

Aho_Old_Guy
October 14th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Wrong offense at Carolina for AE.

He would have been a perfect fit at Indy learning their no-huddle spread under PM.

Big Al
October 14th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in the FCS and the Pros forum?

AppTrex77
October 14th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in the FCS and the Pros forum?

Possibly, but if you're not interested, don't look!

ElonPride
October 14th, 2010, 09:03 AM

I think we all agree that Armanti deserves a fair shot. It sure as heck can't get any worse!

SalukiJim
October 14th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I think we all agree that Armanti deserves a fair shot. It sure as heck can't get any worse!

xthumbsupx
I mean, what's the worst thing that could happen - Fox is probably already on the way to the unemployment line...xsmileyclapx

biggie
October 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM
AE mentioned in one interview after the game that those 2 "Neer" packages were the only 2 they had designed for the game.

After that 7 yd gain I would have called more.

Edge316007
October 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I'll bet they'll add more every week. Hell, you can almost let the guy go out an improvise to be honest.

biggie
October 14th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I'll bet they'll add more every week. Hell, you can almost let the guy go out an improvise to be honest.
Since they got a new WR this week I would almost expect AE to be inactive again.

AppTrex77
October 14th, 2010, 09:56 AM

Agreed!!! It appears that improvising is all any of them are doing anyway. AE is probably more well-versed in improvising than any of the others - - - so let him at it!!!!!!!!!

ericsaid
October 14th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I actually wish he was playing in Philly. Andy Reid would see the similarities in Vick and Edwards and let Armanti learn how to convert his skill set to being an NFL quarterback. I'd be happy with AE sitting the bench under Vick as I feel like Vick and Reid could do wonders for him just like McNabb did for Vick.

Mr. C
October 14th, 2010, 10:52 AM
No, the NFL uses retreads so much, they are trying to find Jeff George (kidding!)xlolx

Maybe Earl Morrell is still available.

SideLine Shooter
October 14th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Maybe Earl Morrell is still available.

Mr. C, I'll vote for Roman Gabriel.

UNH Fanboi
October 14th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Football coaches are by nature a very conservative and stubborn breed. They've already determined that AE is too short to be an everyday starting pro QB, and they're not going to change their mind. They'd rather go 0-16 with a "prototypical" pro QB.

AppTrex77
October 14th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Football coaches are by nature a very conservative and stubborn breed. They've already determined that AE is too short to be an everyday starting pro QB, and they're not going to change their mind. They'd rather go 0-16 with a "prototypical" pro QB.

I think you might be absolutely on the money on this. It's just like fruit going through a sorter - - - the smaller fruit that falls out might have a better taste and texture, but the bigger fruit looks better on the display.

SalukiJim
October 14th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I think you might be absolutely on the money on this. It's just like fruit going through a sorter - - - the smaller fruit that falls out might have a better taste and texture, but the bigger fruit looks better on the display.

And all these coaches seem to follow the Japanese maxim of "the nail that stands out will be hammered down". I would love to see if this kind of offense could work in the NFL (without getting the QB actually killed in the process)...

AppTrex77
October 14th, 2010, 12:01 PM
And all these coaches seem to follow the Japanese maxim of "the nail that stands out will be hammered down". I would love to see if this kind of offense could work in the NFL (without getting the QB actually killed in the process)...

Do Drew Brees and Michael Vick get killed any worse or any more often than other NFL quarterbacks? Just saying . . . .

appfan2008
October 14th, 2010, 01:26 PM
It was amusing to hear all the cheers as Armanti went in at QB and then the boos rain down when he was removed. The public has spoken

you took my thought exactly i loved hearing that on the tv... of course i was doing the same thing in my living room...

SalukiJim
October 14th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Do Drew Brees and Michael Vick get killed any worse or any more often than other NFL quarterbacks? Just saying . . . .

Oh, I agree with you, I was just saying that's what you always hear for "justification" that they don't run the QB / option stuff as much

phan
October 14th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I see Armanti doing his best in a situation similar to the Jets Brad Smith, many similarities. All you need is a coach with a set who will give it a try.

Rekdiver
October 14th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Why not Armanti? Who knows..........Fox has checked out..........Davidson is catatonic.............I think Jerry Richardson is like the guy on Weekend at Bernies...Have any of you seend him move at the games? A new coach will sort this out. Armanti just stay as positive as possible and don't get hurt...

Blueandwhitefightfight
October 14th, 2010, 03:24 PM

As much as I am pro-Armanti playing, to answer your question the answer is YES.

Did you not see what happened to Vick 2 weeks ago?? He was running the ball, much like Armanti did at ASU, and got 15 or so yards. He was about to score when two defenders came from opposite sides and sandwiched him. The result? Torn rib cartilage.

So what happened? He left the game and missed the next one and is questionable this week.

That would not have happened to Peyton Manning, just saying.

I'd still put Armanti as QB though. At this point, it can't hurt the Panthers.

Edge316007
October 14th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Brees hasn't been hurt in years (and I'm sure that came as a result of being in the pocket). Ditto Vick.

By contrast, guys like Carson Palmer and Jake Delhomme can't seem to stay healthy.

PhoenixMan
October 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM
When I started the thread, I didn't mean have Armanti operate in the same way he did at App. Option? Ray Lewis or some other monster would lay him out. But, he could pick his openings, run some draws....roll out with a pass/run decision...do some of the things that made him a great college QB. All I know is, if I'm John Fox, we pull out all the stops at this point.

Smitty
November 8th, 2010, 12:59 PM
John Fox indicated rookie Armanti Edwards(notes)— a college quarterback who was converted to receiver—will also get some snaps at QB in practice this week.

Matt Moore was put on the IR list today.

biggie
November 8th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Yeah, seems they will work him at QB to be the "Emergency" QB for this week. Think Fox hates AE and that GM was the one that wanted to draft him and now its almost a fight between them. Ship, sinking, fast.

Assuming that Clausen starts and Pike is 2nd string (Pike played the 4th qtr yesterday), both were still not good. total offense on the day was less than 140 yds I think.

And the Panthers are down to about 1 RB as well I believe.

AppIAA
November 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM
As much as I am pro-Armanti playing, to answer your question the answer is YES.

Did you not see what happened to Vick 2 weeks ago?? He was running the ball, much like Armanti did at ASU, and got 15 or so yards. He was about to score when two defenders came from opposite sides and sandwiched him. The result? Torn rib cartilage.

So what happened? He left the game and missed the next one and is questionable this week.

That would not have happened to Peyton Manning, just saying.

I'd still put Armanti as QB though. At this point, it can't hurt the Panthers.

That only would not have happened to Peyton Manning because he would stay in the pocket.. If Peyton was running and took that hit, he too would have been injured..

smallcollegefbfan
November 10th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Riddle is taller than AE, the same height as Drew Brees...and probably has a stronger arm than Drew. The Riddle part of the post was in jest (mostly), but Fox needs to give AE a shot.

In case some want to argue with you on that Riddle was measured at 5'11 1/2 by the NFL while AE was measured at 5'11 even. So he does have him by a 1/2 inch.

The difference is that Riddle won't get drafted and I doubt he gets in a NFL camp. None of the scouts I have talked to believe he is a legit prospect. Your best prospect is Brandon Ward but with his suspension most teams won't touch him. The player you guys might find surprising to be a solid NFL guy is going to be Rodney Austin. He is not the ideal height but he has a good body type and is a good player. If he were 6'3 or 6'4 he could be a draftable player.

JMU Newbill
November 18th, 2010, 01:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5821405

Brian St. Pierre signed and will start for the Panthers. They are starting a guy who has thrown five passes in the last eight years over AE? That's gotta burn...

Guess
November 18th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Pike is the #2 QB behind Clausen, so Pike is the one that got dissed. Or, as I see it, pardoned.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 18th, 2010, 06:36 PM
MorgantonAPPAlum: "All I said was that Armanti..."
John Fox: "You're only making it worse for yourself"
MorgantonAPPAlum: "Worse?!? How could it be any worse? Armanti, Armanti, Armanti"
John Fox: "Right, if you say Armanti one more time..."
John Fox is hit with rock.
John Fox: "Right, who threw that? Who did it?"

(substitute crowd of bearded "men" with crowd of Panthers fans wearing ASU gear).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_hlMK7tCks

Old Cat Fan
November 20th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Edwards would be another Vick if they would only give him a chance, I can feel your pain, when the Bears turned UNH allstar running back Jerry Azumah into a defensive back with out ever giving him a snap. (Said he didn't have the size for NFL back)drove me crazy. Than someone like Patriots running back Danny Woodhead (the div2 alltime back) gets some snaps and proves himself after being on the Jets practice squad all you hear is "where did this guy come from" well I hoping that down the road they are saying the same thing about Armanti at QB

phoenixphanatic21
November 21st, 2010, 09:17 AM
Fox doesn't care about this team anymore. He knows he's gone at the end of the year, so he's just trying to get wins now with a veteran QB, not an unproven rookie who the team is trying to switch to WR.

SideLine Shooter
November 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM
Fox doesn't care about this team anymore. He knows he's gone at the end of the year, so he's just trying to get wins now with a veteran QB, not an unproven rookie who the team is trying to switch to WR.

Fox may go after today.

CrackerRiley
November 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM
xlolxxlolx

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 21st, 2010, 04:24 PM
Fox doesn't care about this team anymore. He knows he's gone at the end of the year, so he's just trying to get wins now with a washed-up, never-was QB, not an unproven rookie who the team is trying to switch to WR.

Fixed it for you.

CornCobPipes
November 22nd, 2010, 05:56 PM
Mr. C, I'll vote for Roman Gabriel.

I will vote for Billy Kilmer in his last days.