PDA

View Full Version : What do you do if you're Ryan Newman.

Georgia Griz
May 9th, 2005, 08:24 AM
I feel bad for Ryan Newman with the finish he had at Darlington, but I just loved the end of the race this weekend! It was fun watching the drama build, the circumstances develop, and the strategy unfold. Newman would have walked away with that race if Martin hadn't been racing so hard. But, what can you say? That's racing in all of its glory. There was really nothing Newman could have done to win the race at that point. And it was a very good race. The guy who won it, deserved to win it. The guys who finished well, deserved to finish well.

So, what do you do if you're Ryan Newman? Pit and take the tires, or stay out just to be run down like a rabbit at a beagle club.

polsongrizz
May 9th, 2005, 09:17 AM
He needed to take tires, I think it was a mistake not to. Without new tires you will be run down.

ISUMatt
May 9th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Tires win @ Darlington, he needed to pit!!!

Georgia Griz
May 9th, 2005, 09:35 AM
He needed to take tires, I think it was a mistake not to. Without new tires you will be run down.

The thing is (and the Fox TV Crew discussed it) if Newman comes in to the pit area to take new tires, the rest of the lead lap cars stay out (about 15 cars). When Newman gets back on the track, he must go to the rear of all of the lead lap cars. With only two laps left, even with new tires, it is unlikely that Newman passes all of those lead lap cars to win the race. It must be a horrible position to be in. I didn't see the Busch Series race on Friday, but Biffle said the same thing happened to him in that race.

Georgia Griz
May 9th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Tires win @ Darlington, he needed to pit!!!

The thing is (and the Fox TV Crew discussed it) if Newman comes in to the pit area to take new tires, the rest of the lead lap cars stay out (about 15 cars). When Newman gets back on the track, he must go to the rear of all of the lead lap cars. With only two laps left, even with new tires, it is unlikely that Newman passes all of those lead lap cars to win the race. It must be a horrible position to be in. I didn't see the Busch Series race on Friday, but Biffle said the same thing happened to him in that race.

LacesOut
May 9th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Exactly what Georgia Griz said. The #12 car was damned if he came in for tires, and he was obviously damned for staying out with those worn out tires. Biffle said he "had" to come in because his tires we like sandpaper and he would not have caught Newman if there had not been a caution where he could get new tires. Did he take 2 or 4?? I know Gordon took 4 fresh ones.

But the last few laps were awesome, seeing them go all hell bent and trying to catch the #12 as soon as possible. Good race.

polsongrizz
May 9th, 2005, 11:07 AM
The thing is, if you don't take tires at that point things could get a whole lot worse ie a flat putting you into the wall and a worse finnish.

Georgia Griz
May 9th, 2005, 11:19 AM
The thing is, if you don't take tires at that point things could get a whole lot worse ie a flat putting you into the wall and a worse finnish.

Yeah, that's also a really good point. I thought Newman did well to finish 5th. He could have easily slid to 10th or worse. I bet there has never been a situation where a driver least wanted to be the leader.

ISUMatt
May 9th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Schrader didnt take tires either, started 2nd on the restart and wound up 18th in a matter of 2 laps!!!

Georgia Griz
May 9th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Schrader didnt take tires either, started 2nd on the restart and wound up 18th in a matter of 2 laps!!!

Yeah, poor Schrader has been hanging out with my favorite driver Michael Waltrip too much lately.