PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Stock Report- Rising and Falling

smallcollegefbfan
September 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Posted this on CS.com and thought I would share here.

STOCK UP

OT Ben Ijalana, Villanova- Ijalana was dominate against Temple and has been impressive over his first few games. His arm length, massive size, feet, and strength have scouts drooling. he has moved up from a 4th-5th round projection to a likely top 100 pick if he keeps this up.

OT Curt Porter, Jacksonville State- Porter was impressive against Ole Miss and has been solid throughout the season. He is a big kid with good strength who can play guard or tackle and has gone from a borderline draft pick to a solid 5th-6th round projection.

QB Kyle Havens, UMASS- Havens has shown much better consistency, a good arm, and good decision making skills so far. WIth the QB class so thin he is rising quickly. Havens has gone from a non prospect to a solid priority free agent and could find himself in the late rounds if he keeps this up.

WR/RS Larrone Moore, Delaware State- Moore has shown great speed and versatility making plays as a receiver and in the return game. This track star is catching the eyes of scouts and looks to certainly become a solid priority free agent.

DE/OLB Erik Clanton, The Citadel- Clanton lacks the bulk to stay at end so he will likely become a 3-4 OLB at the next level. His two sacks against Arizona opened eyes and he appears to have some interesting tools worth evaluating in training camp. Clanton was not on the radar entering the season but is a solid free agent now.

OTHERS TO WATCH:
RB Preston Brown, Tenn State; RB Frank Warren, Grambling.

STOCK DOWN

OT WIll Rackley, Lehigh- Rackley is a thick kid who likely would need to move inside to guard as he is struggling with the speed rush. His lack of quickness and consistency are a concern. While he might be able to become a solid backup at right guard in the NFL he appears to lack the feet, length, and quickness to play the left side or even stay outside at tackle.

OLB D.J. Smith, Appalachian State- Smith has good numbers so far but nothing special. He is missing tackles despite showing good speed to make plays from sideline to sideline. Linebackers who miss tackles don't last long in the NFL and I don't see him lasting unless he improves in that category. Smith was a 5th-7th round projection by scouts heading into the season and looks to have dropped to free agent status.

RB Mon Williams, Eastern Illinois- Williams has a NFL body and running style and I really thought he might put himself into the late rounds this year but an early season injury has clouded his status and he will need a strong second half of the season just to guarantee himself a good free agent contract.

WR Marcus Harris, Murray State- Harris had an early knee injury and has not been able to show his speed and versatility that had scouts giving him looks this spring. While I thought he was a bit overrated by the combine agreeing more with the grade BLESTO gave him it is looking at though he is a free agent at best considering the fact he is not highly durable, has a thin build, and does not play as fast as he times.

QB Chris Dieker, Southern Illinois- Dieker has the arm strength and size scouts love as they were hoping he would be the next Flacco or Skelton but he has really struggled this year making bad decisions and was even benched last week. Dieker went from a possible late rounder to barely hanging on as a free agent so far.

OTHERS FALLING:
QB Arvell Nelson, Texas Southern; QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Sac State.

biggie
September 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM
DJ Smith's stat line may have helped yesterday when he played MLB. 14 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 Pass Def, 1 Sack, and 1 INT (26 yd rtn).

smallcollegefbfan
September 26th, 2010, 11:43 AM
DJ Smith's stat line may have helped yesterday when he played MLB. 14 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 Pass Def, 1 Sack, and 1 INT (26 yd rtn).

Yes it did. I really think Smith is an ILB in the NFL. He is not fast enough to be undersized like that and play OLB but he is very thick, strong, and appears to be better in the box instead of out on an island in coverage and playing sidelined sidelined as he gets lost in traffic too much out there when he has to sift through trash as scouts call it.

I have him as the #2 ILB FCS prospect this year right behind Eddy at Northern Colorado. That kid is a player. He is a solid PFA right now. DJ needs to stick to ILB and if he keeps up what he did yesterday he just might get drafted. ILB seems to be his better fit.