PDA

View Full Version : Eagles To Punish Sloppy Beavers

kalm
January 27th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Actually I stole the title from a real headline to a Seattle PI article a number of years ago after the UW Huskies beat OSU. But here's the current article:

Eastern switches to OSU
Eagles drop Idaho for more lucrative game
Dave Trimmer
Staff writer
January 27, 2006

Eastern Washington University shook up its football schedule Thursday afternoon, signing a contract to open the 2006 season at Oregon State and dropping Idaho.

"(Idaho was) less than enthusiastic," EWU associate athletic director Mike Allen said. "It is a problem changing at this late date and going out and finding a game. I have a lot of respect for Idaho, but we have to do what's best for Eastern Washington, scheduling and financially."

The Eagles will receive about $300,000 from OSU, about three times as much as they would have from Idaho.

Advertisement

They have to give the Vandals some money to buy out the contract that was signed last summer.

"It really puts us in a bind," Idaho athletic director Rob Spear said. "We're frantically looking for another home game on that date. We have some possibilities, but a lot of schools have their schedules finalized already."

The Eagles will play the Beavers on Sept. 2, although the game could be moved up to Aug. 31 if ESPN picks up OSU's second game against Boise State and puts it on Thursday.

Eastern was scheduled to play Idaho in the third game on Sept. 16.

To make room for OSU, Eastern canceled its season opener with Montana Tech, an NAIA school. Eastern is scheduled to play at UC Davis on Sept. 9 and host Central Washington on Sept. 23.

Idaho opens the season against Michigan State before facing Washington State. EWU was supposed to be Idaho's home opener. The Vandals play OSU in their fourth game.

Spear wouldn't specify the amount UI would receive from Eastern.

"I think it's a good game for us," Eagles coach Paul Wulff said of OSU. "It's regional and it's a great opener for the kids to set their sights on.

"t will be a real challenge for us, one we'll be ready for."

Eastern opened at OSU in 2000, losing 21-19. The Beavers went on to finish 11-1, whipping Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

"This does a couple of different things," Allen said. "(This money game) allows us to have more home games than road games. This is one step because it gives us (financial) flexibility to schedule more I-AA games at home. It's so late it might not happen this year."

Not only did we play OSU tough the last time the two teams met, but if memory serves we had the ball in OSU territory with under a minute to play that game. Hopefully we play 'em tough again and don't get too banged up. xprost2x

ASU Kep
January 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Sounds like Idaho got screwed. But for $200,000, understandable.

grizbeer
January 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Montana now has 9/16 open, Idaho now has 9/16 open, hope they approve the new 12 game schedule in April. I would love to see the rivalry with Idaho renewed.

Ronbo
January 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Montana now has 9/16 open, Idaho now has 9/16 open, hope they approve the new 12 game schedule in April. I would love to see the rivalry with Idaho renewed.

Grizbeer why would we schedule an away game with Idaho for $100K when we can get a home game against a sure win and make $350K? Doesn't make sense unless Idaho agrees to a home and home.